Alternatives to Disney’s Polynesian Resort During Construction
By Dave Shute
Many have written with concern about the ongoing and rumored upcoming construction at the Polynesian, wondering if another resort is a better choice.
Known construction issues at the Polynesian are
- Construction activity in the lagoon and around Tahiti related to Disney Vacation Club work
- Weekday late morning-early evening monorail closures (affecting all the monorail resorts, as well as the Magic Kingdom and TTC) from late February through late March
Rumored issues include
- Rehab and closure of one of the two pools (and the larger and more fun of the two), not certain, not scheduled, and likely, it seems, to be later than July
- Major work in the Great Ceremonial House—also, so far as I know, not certain and not scheduled
Despite the actual and possible construction, I’m still keen on the Polynesian for first time visitors, as the neither the known nor the rumored construction will much affect its combination of kid appeal and convenience—which is what this site ranks resorts on.
But sensible people differ on this, so here’s some thoughts on the next most highly ranked deluxe resorts.
After the Polynesian, the next three highest-ranked deluxes for first time family visitors who may never return are, in order
The differences among these three are stark:
Wilderness Lodge kid appeal is spectacular, convenience is moderate, and rooms are small—fitting only four.
Prices are low—at least for a deluxe!
Animal Kingdom Lodge kid appeal is almost as strong as that of the Wilderness Lodge, but convenience is low.
Like the Wilderness Lodge, rooms are small—fitting only four.
Because at the Animal Kingdom Lodge you should always get a “Savanna View,” prices are higher than standard-view rooms at the Wilderness Lodge.
Prices are high–though not quite at Poly levels–but the rooms are large and sleep five, on two queens and a daybed.
So what’s best for your family?
- If you need to sleep five—or three beds—pick the Contemporary
- If a smaller room works for you, and convenience is important, pick the Wilderness Lodge
- If a smaller room works, and convenience doesn’t matter, pick whichever of the lodges has the theme that appeals to your family more.