This is part of The Comfortable Guide to Walt Disney World
OVERVIEW: THE MOST COMFORTABLE WAY TO TRAVEL TO WALT DISNEY WORLD
This page addresses how to travel to Walt Disney World for a subset of first time visitors: those seeking the most comfortable visit.
I am publishing both series at the same time to help those who are looking for bargains and deals on some things, so that they can spend more on others!! Links to everything in these two series are at the bottom of the page.
THE COMFORTABLE GUIDE TO TRAVELING TO WALT DISNEY WORLD: CHARTER A PLANE
Chartering a private plane is an (almost) entirely more comfortable way to travel to Walt Disney World than flying commercial.
BENEFITS OF A DISNEY WORLD CHARTER
Taking a chartered private plane to Walt Disney World is almost always faster, and is always more convenient, simpler, and more private.
Most charters fly more slowly than commercial jets. However, your door to door time–from your home to your Walt Disney World resort hotel—will almost always be faster. This is because
- You don’t have to arrive at the airport early, check bags, wander through security, etc.
- Rather you simply drive up to your departure Fixed Base Operator (“FBO”–the spot at an airport where you find your chartered private plane), park there, load your bags, and fly.
- When you arrive at your destination FBO, if you have arranged for a rental car or driver, it will be there when you arrive–you just get off the plane, grab your bags, and roll.
- You never have connecting flights, and unless your flight is long or your chartered plane little, won’t have to stop for fuel.
- Your departure FBO may be closer to your home than your commercial airport.
- If in Florida you use an FBO at the Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM) you will be closer to Walt Disney World than if you had landed at Orlando International (MCO). (Note: avoid FBOs at Orlando Executive Airport (ORL)–these are actually further from Disney World than MCO!)
- If your flight is very long, you may not save time compared to a nonstop–the net effect of the slower flying times, and the likely need for a fuel stop, may wash out the other time savings
Chartering a private plane to Walt Disney World is also much more convenient than flying commercial.
- Some of this comes from the points above–a faster door to door time.
- But the key to the convenience is the combination of shorter door to door times with the fact that you are not at the mercy of commercial airline schedules–you can define your departure and arrival times based on what works best for you and your family.
- The combined effect of faster door to door times and schedule flexibility can easily save you a day of your round trip time, and perhaps more. Whether you spend this saved day at work or at Disney World, that convenience can be very valuable.
This convenience makes the whole experience much simpler and less stressful.
And of course the trip is more private–just your family and the crew.
THE NEGATIVES OF CHARTERING A PRIVATE PLANE TO WALT DISNEY WORLD
The principal negative is of course cost.
- If you have to ask…it’s too expensive. $5,000 per flight hour is not uncommon. You perhaps can get a better price, but sometimes only by chartering a smaller, much more cramped, slower plane–likely without a bathroom.
- High-earning families who can save a working day and combine this with convenience, simplicity and privacy can often make a compelling case for the value of a charter, especially if they would have flown first or business class otherwise.
- Larger families, or groups of families, will also see slightly better economics, as in general you pay for the plane and its hours, and not by the seat. Once you’ve picked a plane type and FBOs, filling one more available seat on the plane costs next to nothing.
Chartering a plane to Walt Disney World can have other negatives.
- Families that have never chartered before can be surprised by how small and cramped chartered planes can be.
- They can also be surprised at the rudimentary bathroom facilities and how expensive planes with reasonable bathrooms can be
- Charters can also have surprisingly limited baggage capacity
More spacious planes with better baths and more baggage capacity cost much more than the smallest planes that can make the trip without stopping for fuel…
All in, if you pick the right plane for your flight time and family space and amenities needs, chartering a private plane is the most comfortable way to travel to Walt Disney World.
PUBLISHED SO FAR IN THE COMFORTABLE GUIDE TO WALT DISNEY WORLD
- The Most Comfortable Time to Go to Walt Disney World
- The Comfortable Guide to How Long to Stay at Walt Disney World
- The Most Comfortable Place to Stay at Walt Disney World:
- The Most Comfortable Way to Travel to Walt Disney World
- The Most Comfortable Way to Tour the Theme Parks at Walt Disney World:
- Planning Your Walt Disney World Budget
PUBLISHED SO FAR IN THE TIGHTWAD’S GUIDE TO WALT DISNEY WORLD
- The Tightwad’s Guide to When to Go to Walt Disney World
- The Tightwad’s Guide to Where to Stay at Walt Disney World
- The Tightwad’s Guide to How Long to Stay at Walt Disney World
- Air Travel 201: The Tightwad’s Guide to Cheap Flights to Walt Disney World
- The Tightwad’s Guide to How to Eat at Walt Disney World
- Planning Your Walt Disney World Budget