December 2014 at Walt Disney World
By Dave Shute
OVERVIEW: DECEMBER 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD
Early December, with lower crowds, lower prices, and wonderful Christmas decorations and events, has the best weeks of the year to visit.
Later December with Christmas and New Year’s weeks has the highest crowds and prices of the year.
December also has a special party, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, a special evening event–with its own ticket–that has become a family tradition for many.
DECEMBER 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Earlier December is one of the less crowded periods at Walt Disney World.
Later December–beginning the 20th in 2014–is the most crowded time of the year at Walt Disney World.
On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 11/29 has a ranking of 3/low, 12/6 4/low-plus, 12/13 3/low, 12/20 11/highest, and 12/27 11/highest.
However, even during the low crowd weeks early in the month, certain days at the Magic Kingdom can still be wildly crowded. See this for how to avoid them.
DECEMBER 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
December hotel prices begin the month 15% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 10% higher than the lowest of the year at the moderates, and the 10% higher than the lowest of the year at the deluxes.
Prices bump up quite a bit over on December 12 to 50% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 30% higher at the moderates, and 35% higher at the deluxes.
On December 19, prices go up again to their highest level in 2014. At the values, they go to 80% higher than the lowest of the year, 50% higher at the moderates, and 55% higher at the deluxes.
DECEMBER 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Deals are available for December 2014. Details are here.
DECEMBER 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Average temperatures trend down over December, and weather becomes quite variable. Days can be perfect, or quite cool. Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.
SPECIAL EVENTS IN DECEMBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
December brings delightful Christmas festivities to Disney World:
- At the Magic Kingdom, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party—a special event that requires its own ticket—runs on many nights through the first two-thirds of the month. Later in the month, its signature events—a special Christmas parade, and special Christmas fireworks—are available to all guests. Christmas decor is in place by the night of the first party–in 2014, November 7
- At Epcot, the evening fireworks show Illuminations has special Christmas additions. In addition, most nights Christmas carols are sung by massed choirs in the Candlelight Processional. Many of the countries in Epcot’s World Showcase have special Christmas events as part of Epcot’s Holidays Around the World program. Epcot’s special events usually begin the Friday after Thanksgiving
- At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the Christmas celebration is the Osborne holiday lights in the Streets of America area. The evening opening ceremony is 6p. These typically begin in early November–in 2014, November 7 is expected to be the first date
New Year’s Eve festivities have not yet been announced, but are expected to on December 31, 2014 at Disney World’s Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios theme parks, and also at the Magic Kingdom on December 30. The Animal Kingdom has no special events.
Here’s what’s expected:
- Epcot will be open until 1a on New Year’s Eve; Disney’s Hollywood Studios until midnight for the general public, and 2a for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests; and the Magic Kingdom until midnight or later
- The Magic Kingdom likely will have Wishes at 9p and special New Year’s Eve fireworks at 11.50p
- Epcot likely will have its Illuminations fireworks show at 6p and 11.40p, plus DJs in various pavilions.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios will likely have fireworks at midnight, and several sets over the evening from “Mulch, Sweat and Shears,” a live band
- Note that alcohol is not available at the Magic Kingdom, but is available at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios
The Magic Kingdom will likely have the same fireworks at the same times on 12/30. This date will likely be a little less crowded than 12/31.
DECEMBER 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice.
It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.
The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance. These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:
WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR DECEMBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE
The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return. Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)
MORE ON WHEN TO GO TO WALT DISNEY WORLD
- For when to go to Walt Disney World, see this
- For the best and worst times to visit, see this
- For forecasting crowds at Walt Disney World, see this
- For seasonal pricing at Walt Disney World, see this
- For weather at Walt Disney World, see this