April 2014 at Walt Disney World

April   May   June   July   August   September   October   November

OVERVIEW: APRIL 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD

April 2014 at Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netThis page reviews April 2014 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, and operating hours; adds a few other notes; and ends with week by week summaries.

The first week of April 2014—beginning March 29– will see moderate crowds and high prices. The week beginning 4/5 will have a pre-Easter lull in crowds, but still high prices.

Because of spring break crowds, the week before Easter, beginning April 12, will see wildly high crowds and prices. The late Easter in 2014 means the week after Easter won’t be as bad as in recent years.

The week beginning April 26th will be wonderful.

APRIL 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

April 2014 begins with moderate crowds, shifts to low crowds for a week, then has the usual two very rough weeks around Easter—though the week after Easter will be better this year than in past years—and ends with great crowds.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 3/28 has a crowd rating of 5/moderate-minus. The week beginning 4/5 has a crowd rating of 3/low.

The week before Easter, beginning 4/12 has a crowd rating of 11/highest. The weke after Easter, beginning 4/19, has a corwd rating of 8/high-minus. This week will begin horribly, but then get better after Monday 4/21.

The week beginning 4/26 has a crowd rating of 2/lower.

See this for more on 2014 crowds at Disney World.

APRIL 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

April hotel prices begin high at 50% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 30% higher at the moderates, and 35% higher at the deluxes.

Prices kick up for Easter on 4/13 to 75% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 45% higher at the moderates, and 50% higher at the deluxes.

On 4/21, prices drop to the level at which they began the month–50% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 30% higher at the moderates, and 35% higher at the deluxes.

On 4/27, prices drop again, to 30% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 17% higher at the moderates, and 15% higher at the deluxes

See this for more on 2014 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

APRIL 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for April 2014. Details are here.

APRIL 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

April weather completes the shift from the variable and cooler temperatures of winter to the warmer and more consistent temperatures of spring.

For example, at the beginning of April, 60% of the time the daily high will be between 72 and 87.  By the beginning of May, 60% of the time the daily high will be between 80 and 90.

All in, April weather is as good as it gets at Walt Disney World.

Tornadoes can be an issue during this period. See this for more.
Disney World Temperatures and Percentile Distribution Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

APRIL 2014 SPECIAL EVENTS

The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival continues throughout April until May 18.

APRIL 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR APRIL 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

2014 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World Ranked in Order v2Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

3/29/2014 High prices. Moderate-minus crowds. Crowd ranking=5. Week ranking=17. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

4/5/2014 High prices. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=12. Recommended Week. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

4/12/2014 Highest prices. Highest crowds. Crowd ranking=11. Week ranking=44. Use the Summer Itinerary (not a typo :) ) but see this for required and possible changes

4/19/2014  Higher prices. High-minus crowds, better later in the week. Crowd ranking=8. Week ranking=30. Use the Summer Itinerary (not a typo :) ) but see this for required and possible changes

4/26/2014 Moderate prices. Lower crowds. Crowd ranking=2. Week ranking=6. Recommended Week. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Twitter!

1 Kristen Breaux { 09.25.13 at 12:55 pm }

Hi Dave! This is a random question sort of related to this post. We will be traveling to Disney in May 2014. Our last vacation was October 2012, and the calendars were available far enough in advance that I was able to coordinate which parks we wanted to go to according to things like extra magic hours, shows, etc. and therefore could decide our dining options before the 180 day mark (certain restaurants at certain parks for specific days!). It’s not looking like I’ll know the May 2014 calendar before that 180 day mark. Is that correct? Or is there a chance that they’ll release it a little sooner? I’m just a crazy Disney planning nut and I love to consider every detail!! Thanks!

2 Dave { 09.26.13 at 11:07 am }

Hi Kristen! Disney typically releases public calendars 6 months ahead, and their’s typically another release that’s less publicized (and often not so accurate) 2 weeks befroe that. So that should be out in mid-October, with the general public calendar out around Nov 1. That’s just barely 180 days ahead of May 1…

And aren’t we all crazy nuts, in our own ways?? :)

Well then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

3 Kristen { 09.27.13 at 12:53 pm }

Thank you!!

4 andrea { 10.12.13 at 8:22 pm }

How come no deals for Easter week at disney sure could use a break

5 andrea { 10.12.13 at 8:23 pm }

At least free dining would be nice

6 Dave { 10.13.13 at 11:30 am }

Andrea, they don’t discount dates that they know will be wildly mobbed anyway…

7 Katye { 11.10.13 at 1:20 pm }

Hi! I just switched our travel dates from 2/28/14- 3/4/14 to 4/26/14 -4/30/14
Do you think this was a wise decision? I was worried about the colder
Temps with the kids. Also I saw that splash mountain would of been closed. Also do you think the seven dwarfs mine train will be open by April? Thanks for your input I always look to your website for everything WDW!

8 Katye { 11.10.13 at 1:21 pm }

Oh also when I switched the dates I lost my discounted package the play stay and dine. Do you think there will be one for the end of April released soon? Thanks!

9 Dave { 11.11.13 at 8:20 am }

Katye, yup I think that’s a great choice for all the reasons you note! Dunno if the Dwarfs ride will be open or not, but I’d guess it will be…

10 Dave { 11.11.13 at 8:21 am }

I do think there will be a deal for those dates, but it may not be released until January

11 Katye { 11.12.13 at 7:28 am }

One more quick question, are the crowds going to be higher at the end of April than the early march crowds that we are used to? Thanks!

12 Dave { 11.12.13 at 4:10 pm }
13 Tina { 12.05.13 at 2:16 am }

Hey Dave, I have had our vacation scheduled since July for April 24 – 30, 2014. No discounts as of yet. My friend got a letter stating that she could get hotel discounts during that time but they haven’t released anything yet to the public, do you think that there will be discounts for these dates. Sure hope so. Also on her card it had a free dining offer from Jan. 3, 2014 to March 5, 2014.

14 Dave { 12.05.13 at 9:02 am }

Tina I’d expect a deal for those dates to come out for the general public in early January…

15 AgnesD { 12.19.13 at 2:27 pm }

Hi Dave –
Great website!
What kind of ticket do you recommend we get? Single-day ones or add the park-hopper option? How about water parks? We are planning to go visit on 3/29 to 4/3 with 2 kids – 8 & 12. We are thinking of staying at either Art of animation or Pop Century and getting the dining plan.
Agnes

16 Dave { 12.20.13 at 7:31 am }

Hi Agnes, and thanks!!

I’d stick with straight tix with none of the add-ons. If you decide later, while at WDW, that you’d like to hop, or go to a water park, you can add those then at no more cost then you’d pay today. By waiting, you only pay once you know you need the add-ons…

17 Fleur Farah { 12.23.13 at 10:52 pm }

Hi Dave
I have been using this website to plan my trip and find it amazing! Thank you. I am staying at the Floridays Resort from 4.21.14 – 4.27.14 with my family of three kids (10, 8 and 6) and have such a limited amount of time to visit WDW. In those 6 days I would love to fit in 1 day of shopping and one day out at the Kennedy Space Centre. We have visited Disneyland in April 2013 at the Disneyland Hotel but I simply could not afford a Disney resort this time. Could you advise me on which parks to do if I have three days and what I should see if I cancel my shopping day and do 4 days in the parks. I found Disneyland easy to navigate but WDW is just so overwhelming. Thanking you in advance. Fleur

18 Dave { 12.24.13 at 9:59 am }

Hi Fleur! If you want to see what’s most different from Disneyland, you’d spend a day or two at Epcot and a day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. If you want to see more of what you loved at DLR, you’d spend a coupla days at Magic Kingdom and one at Hollywood Studios. Let me know your reactions to this and I’ll advise further!

19 AgnesD { 12.30.13 at 3:16 am }

Hey Dave –
Me again! Now that flights & hotel have been booked, I need to start planning which parks to see on which days. We will be arriving on 3/28 at 6pm and staying until 4/2 which gives us about 4.5 days at WDW, staying at Pop century and have the dining plan (we can make it 5 as we are just moving over to Universal). Kids are 8 & 12 and both have been to DLR. We have 5-day MYW tickets per your suggestion. Looking at the Calendar you have for those dates, I was thinking we can do:
Friday – no parks since we probably won’t get to hotel til 7pm
Saturday – do 2nd Sat sked on your Autumn-Winter-Spring itinerary
Sunday – do 1st Sun sked on your A-W-S itin
Monday – do Mon sked on your A-W-S itin
Tuesday – Epcot
Wednesday – Epcot or MK (kids’ choice)

I would appreciate your feedback! And just to warn you, I’ll probably be back to bug you about dining next. ????

Agnes

20 Dave { 12.30.13 at 7:31 am }

Hi Agnes! I’m a little concerned about Epcot Tuesday–you might want to do Epcot Sunday, and the “First Sunday” on Tuesday…

21 AgnesD { 12.30.13 at 8:37 pm }

Great! Thanks Dave! We’ll switch Sun & Tues then.

Can I assume we can also just follow the dining suggestions on those days or are there any dining places from other days that would be more worth seeing given the kids’ ages (12 y.o. is a boy & 8 y.o. is a girl).

22 Dave { 12.31.13 at 7:07 am }
23 Yesi { 01.08.14 at 2:04 pm }

Hi Dave! I’m planning my daughter’s 3rd bday trip to disney and also her first time going to Disney. I want to make it special and not hectic or having to wait in lines for long period of times.. I was thinking of going the weekend of april 5.?? Do you think this is a good time to go ? The park we are going to be visiting is Magic Kingdom and also want to do breakfast with characters at Chef Mickey’s buffett. I was concerned that because it might be a low time of the year that they wouldnt have much events going on in the park. Like parades, fireworks, meeting different characters. What is your advise ?

24 Dave { 01.09.14 at 5:11 am }

Yesi, it’s only low compared to other times–you’ll still find lots of people, and lots of action. MK is always busy on the weekends so you typically see the full program. I checked the calendar for those date sand you’ll have it all!

25 Steve { 01.12.14 at 4:00 pm }

Hi Dave, I planning to visit Disney from 4/10/14 – 4/14/14. I want to spend two days at the Disney water parks. Which two days would you recommend between the Thursday and Monday?

26 Dave { 01.13.14 at 7:49 am }

Hey Steve, sorry but neither I nor anyone I trust tracks water park crowds. On principle, I’d guess Monday would be better, as more people go to parks then. Frankly, though the weather forecast will likely have the higher effect!

27 Jody { 01.14.14 at 10:21 am }

This site has been a lifesaver to me. But I still feel overwhelmed. Never been to Disney. Planning a trip April 4-11, 2014 with my husband and son (almost 14) and daughter (almost 12). We are staying off-site at a timeshare. Probably will have a rental car but wondering if there is enough transportation in the area to skip that cost. Even if we have to take a taxi to the grocery store that’s cheaper than the $334 rental car. We arrive the 4th at 3;11 and leave the 11th at 11am. How do we decide what to see, where to eat, what parks to visit on what day. We would like to get a day or two at Universal but also have some downtime. Any suggestions?

28 Dave { 01.15.14 at 7:04 am }

HI Jody! First, yes you absolutely need a rental car.

You don’t have much time–it looks like 6 full days. I’d advise starting with the idea of one day at Universal–at Islands of Adventure if the kids are Harry Potter fans–and one day in each of Disney 4 theme parks–Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. Decide what to do your last day the day before–return to your favorite WDW park, to Islands, to Universal’s other park Univalve Studios, or take the day off.

Universal is typically better Sat-Mon, so choose one of those as your Universal day. Otherwise, avoid the following Disney parks on the following days:

4/5: Avoid HS
4/6: Avoid MK
4/7: avoid HS, AK–this is a particularly good Epcot day
4/8: avoid Epcot–this is a particularly good MK day
4/9: avoid AK
4/10: avoid MK

To help target what to see in the Disney parks, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/

Hope this helps!!

29 Jo { 01.15.14 at 1:27 pm }

Once again I’m using your site to refine my WDW plans. We are ariving 4/23 and leaving early on 4/28. we will have the first five days for the parks and are staying at the BW.
I am curious to know how you are evaluating which parks are best on which days. Should we just avoind Moning EWH or is there something else I should look for?

Thanks so much for your help.

30 Jo { 01.15.14 at 1:28 pm }

sorry for the typos – woops!

31 Dave { 01.16.14 at 7:27 am }

Jo, first, for the best insight into parks to avoid, see this: http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/04-april-2014-crowd-calendar/

Second, in my own thinking, it starts with what factors draw people to a park. The biggest driver of this is whether or not we see highly varied evening hours and entertainment at MK. This has a resort-wide ripple effect, but is mostly an issue during the September-mid December party season. Your days it’s not an issue. After that. it’s EMH, both am and pm!

32 Dave { 01.16.14 at 7:28 am }

Typos make up half my vocabularlry…

33 Rose { 01.17.14 at 3:42 pm }

I’m new to your page, but really appreciate all of the great info. We just booked our trip to Disney World for April 14th-21st. My eldest daughter turns 17 on April 15th and loves Disney!! So even though it’s very crowded during that time, she will be very happy to be there. I also have a 13 year old daughter and a 11 year old son. I have looked at several calendars for Disney Parks at that time, but I really find it confusing. I was wondering if you could give me advice on which park to visit on each day during our trip. I don’t mind doing two parks in one day. Also, we have never gone to Universal Studios. Is it a must see?? One last question, do you know of any planned Easter activities that week? I’ve looked on websites, but most of the info. was for 2013. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

34 Dave { 01.18.14 at 10:04 am }

Rose, first the Easter activities should be similar to those you saw form last year. Thinks will be miserable everywhere every day, so I don’t have a lot to offer on better and worse parks by day. But see Josh’s site for a bit of help: http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/04-april-2014-crowd-calendar/

Universal is a must see if you love thrill rides or Harry Potter. But I wouldn’t add it to the burdens you’ll already face during this wildly crowded week…save it for another time…

35 Heather { 01.20.14 at 4:04 am }

Hi Dave!
I am new to your website and finding all of your insight very helpful! I am a Disneyland aficionado but am clueless when it comes to Walt Disney World. We are looking at coming April 2 – 11 and I am wondering after looking at your attendance chart whether this is a good idea? My daughter’s elementary school will be on spring break then but will there be big spring break crowds? We thought about coming the first week of May but don’t want her to miss so much school. During this first part of April is there a lot of things closed for refurbishment? Also, we were wondering about taking a morning and driving over to see the Atlantic Ocean. Where would you suggest we go? Is there anywhere else we should try to get to while we are there? Since it’s our first visit we weren’t sure how much time we needed to dedicate to just Walt Disney World. Thank you in advance for all of your help! Your great advice is very much appreciated!

36 Dave { 01.20.14 at 6:41 am }

Hi Heather and thanks!!

Your week should be fine beginning the 5th–see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/ but I do like the first week of May more– see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

See this for how much time to devote to the Disney World parks http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-long-to-stay/ Because of the overlaps of MK and HS with DLR, you likely will spend a little less time at each.

On beaches, etc…sorry–I can barely keep up with WDW from my base in northeast Ohio, so can’t really help there!

37 Rachel { 01.26.14 at 5:16 pm }

Hi Dave! I have our first family trip for Disney planned April 23 – 27, 2014. We are staying at the Contemporary Resort. So far for plans I have made: arriving in Orlando at 12:35 and will be transported to Contemporary. From there the plan is to go to Epcot and that night have character dinner with Mickey and the Gang at 7:35. Thursday we will go to Magic Kingdom and the kids will visit Pirates League and dress up. Friday we plan to visit Animal Kingdom. Saturday visit MGM/Hollywood Studios with character breakfast. Sunday our have a late afternoon flight so we are going back to Magic Kingdom for Royal Table breakfast and a few more rides before leaving.
My kids are 5 (boy) and 3 (girl) and are excited about our trip. I just want to make sure we have everything in order and all things planned correctly and making sure this is a trip our kids will be sure to remember. If you have any suggestions or ideas to add to our trip I would greatly appreciate your help. Trying to add everything to our disneyexperience and have it all mapped out prior to arrival.
Thanks so much for your help.

38 Dave { 01.27.14 at 8:12 am }

Hi Rachel! With kids that age, there’s little at Epcot that will be fun for them, and a lot at Magic Kingdom, so I’d do is skip Epcot and go to MK on your arrival night instead. Other than that your plans look fine. The parks will be very crowded that week, so you’ll want to both book your FastPass+ and show up well befroe open–which, with EMH, will be as early as 7a some days…

39 Sara { 04.06.14 at 4:37 pm }

Hi Dave! What a helpful page you’ve created here for Disney planning!

We are arriving on the 14th of this month and leaving the 19th. We’re traveling with 4 kids, aged 2-7, and 5 adults. I’m seeing now the projected crowd troubles, but my question is this. Our same group made our last visit Thanksgiving week of 2010. Since that is another high crows time, will we have a much different or worse experience this time? I was starting to worry, but then thought if we were already used to such crowds it might not be as bad. Hopefully.

Our plan was set for:
Monday- MK (arrival day in the late afternoon)
Tuesday- AK
Wednesday- HS
Thursday – Epcot (that’s when and where our character dining is)
Friday- MK
Saturday – We will be leaving at about 3pm and have left it open so far.

Any input is much appreciated!

40 Dave { 04.07.14 at 7:02 am }

Hi Sara and thanks!!

First I would strongly advise swapping Weds and Thurs. HS has evening EMH Weds, and Epcot the same Thurs–both parks will be more than usually packed because of that. I get you on your dining…and how har dit will be to change…but I’d advise either skipping it or adding park hoppers to your tix so you can flip between Epcot and HS those days…

Second, the parks will be much more crowded than during Thanksgiving–I expect new record attendance levels to be set. But the basic approach of showing up before they open and using FastPass+ still works…

41 Sara { 04.08.14 at 12:19 pm }

Thank you for your quick response and feedback. I was able to find the same character dining at Epcot on Friday instead. So, how does changing up W, Th, and F for MK, HS, then EP sound? Looking at this http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/04-april-2014-crowd-calendar/ it looks better for each park on those days.

Thanks again!

42 Sarah { 04.08.14 at 12:51 pm }

Hi there, I keep going back and forth as to when is the best day to use my #2 Florida Resident pass. As of now, I have it planned to go this Friday, the 11th, but I see the crowds are to be at high. I am thinking of changing the day to go on April 26th, Saturday. Do you think this would be a good idea? Last time we went was end of March, and the crowds were unbelievably packed! So I thought I would reach out to you and ask for your opinion, whether I should wait until April 26th? Or if there is another good day, mind you, I would have to take a day off of work. Thanks for any help you can give!

Sarah
Tampa FL

43 Dave { 04.08.14 at 4:22 pm }

Love it, Sara!!

44 Dave { 04.08.14 at 4:23 pm }

Hi Sarah, I like the 26th better, but don’t expect to see bad crowds the 11th. The Easter crowds won’t really start pouring in til the 13th…

45 Sarah { 04.09.14 at 9:18 am }

Hi Dave – thanks for your response. One more question – If you had to choose for lowest crowds, either April 26th, or May 2 or 3rd? Really just deciding to take a day off work on a Friday, or just brave it and go on a Saturday… what would you do? I’m already going to HS on the 9th of May (Friday)… just trying to get this 2nd day pass in somewhere for the MK! Thanks for your advice!!

46 Dave { 04.09.14 at 10:10 am }

Among them, Sarah, I’d pick May 2.

47 Sarah { 04.09.14 at 10:27 am }

Thank you Dave, I think thats the best bet. I really appreciate your help, and your website is so informative and awesome!

48 MJ { 04.15.14 at 2:55 pm }

Hi Dave – The Mrs. and I will be traveling to Disney and Universal Florida on 4/21/14 – 4/27/14. We are hoping that the Easter/Spring Break crowds will be gone by then.

Here is the current itinerary…what would you advise?
Mon – 4/21 – check in/relax
Tues – 4/22 – Universal Studios
Wed – 4/23 – Islands of Adventure
Thurs – 4/24 – Epcot
Friday – 4/25 – Magic Kingdom
Sat – 4/26 – Either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure again
Sun – 4/27 – Fly Back Home

Thanks,
MJ

49 Dave { 04.16.14 at 8:01 am }

Hi MJ! In normal years the week after Easter is wildly crowded and is the second or third worst spring break week. This year with Easter so late it will not be as bad. I don’t track Universal closely enough to have much to say on that part of your itinerary. But the days and parks you’ve picked for WDW look like the best choices that week.

50 MJ { 04.16.14 at 9:05 am }

Dave – Thank you for your quick response and feedback. Your site is an excellent resource for WDW planning and insights. Please keep up the great work, much appreciated.

Cheers,
MJ

51 Jen { 04.16.14 at 12:49 pm }

Hi Dave! We are doing to Disney 4/27-5/1. We are staying at Port Orleans and traveling with four children (5 and under). I see our week is a low crowd week. How long do lines average in the MK Fantasyland those days? We are going to MK on Tuesday 4/29. I have fast passed Rapunzel Meet and Greet, Enchanted Tales with Belle, and the parade. We plan to arrive a half hour before the ropes drop. What would you suggest doing first, and do you have any information about the wait times for the new Elsa and Anna meet and greet?

52 Dave { 04.17.14 at 8:51 am }

Thanks, MJ!!

53 Dave { 04.17.14 at 9:10 am }

Jen the new meet and greet has not been up long enuf to have any sense of future lines, but expect them to be horrible. I don’t have itineraries for young children, but see Josh’s cheat sheets here: http://www.easywdw.com/cheatsheets/mk_cheat_sheet_fastpass_plus_v2.pdf Also at the end there’s expected waits. Use the one on page 10.

54 Jen { 04.17.14 at 8:14 pm }

Thanks!! Great cheat sheet. Hope its on target for us :)