By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2019, the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever.

Available on Amazon here.

May 2019 at Walt Disney World

May    June   July   August   September   October   November

WHAT IS MAY LIKE AT DISNEY WORLD?

Earlier May is a great time to visit Walt Disney World, with low crowds, moderate prices, and good weather.

The weather typically gets hotter and more humid over the month, and the end of the month sees high crowds and high prices from Memorial Day weekend on.

MAY 2019 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

May crowds are generally good until late in the month.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the weeks beginning 4/27 through 5/18 have a crowd ranking of 4/low-plus. The week beginning 5/25 has a crowd ranking of 8/high-minus.

See this for more on 2019 crowds at Disney World.

MAY 2019 TICKET PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Ticket prices per day generally begin the month OK, then get even better.  Longer tickets start getting expensive in the middle of the month, and most ticket prices are high by May 21. They then drop after Memorial Day to average levels.

See the image–where green is good, and lots of green particularly good, and red is bad, and lots of red is particularly bad. For more, see my Disney World 2019 ticket price calendar.

MAY 2019 RESORT HOTEL PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Disney hotel prices begin the month of May at regular season 2 levels–with prices 20-30% higher than the lowest of the year  at the values, 15-20% higher at the moderates, and 20-25% higher at the deluxes.

Prices stay at this level until Memorial Day weekend pricing kicks in on May 24, when prices go to 45-50% higher than the lowest of the year  at the values, 25-35% higher at the moderates, and 25-35% higher at the deluxes.

On May 27 summer prices kick in. Prices go to 30-40% higher than the lowest of the year  at the values, 14-17% higher at the moderates, and 10-17% higher at the deluxes.

See this for more on 2019 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

MAY 2019 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

As I write this, no deals for the general public are available for May 2019. If any come out, you’ll be able to find them here.

MAY 2019 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

May weather begins as good as it gets at Walt Disney World.

Over the course of the month, temperatures and humidity rise to near-summer levels, and the rainy season typically begins late in the month.

Disney World Temperatures and Percentile Distribution Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more.

DISNEY WORLD SPECIAL EVENTS IN MAY 2019

The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival continues throughout May.

MAY 2019 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available about six months in advance. Major hours updates–often with later closes–can happen a month before.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR MAY 2019 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from my 2019 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

Click the image for a calendar view of 2019 weeks.

4/27/2019 Moderate resort prices. Low+ crowds. Crowd ranking=4. Week ranking=6. Recommended week. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

5/4/2019 Moderate resort prices. Low+ crowds. Crowd ranking=4. Week ranking=7. Recommended week. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

5/11/2019 Moderate resort prices. Low+ crowds. Crowd ranking=4. Week ranking=8. Recommended week. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

5/18/2019 Moderate resort prices. Low+ crowds. Crowd ranking=4. Week ranking=9. Recommended week. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

5/25/2019 Moderate to high resort prices. High- crowds. Crowd ranking=8. Week ranking=37. Use the Higher Crowd Itinerary

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Jilly { 11.29.18 at 9:22 am }

Stupid question: what does “low +” mean with regards to crowds?

2 Dave { 11.30.18 at 12:09 pm }

Jilly, to give you maybe the most helpful answer–“low+” means “average.”
I use 1 1-11 ranking scale, and it starts

1 Lowest
2 Lower
3 Low
4 Low+

3 Dawn Lee { 01.07.19 at 10:48 am }

We are planning to arrive at Disney early on 5/29 and leave on June 3. This is our first visit. I’m not a big Disney fan so I’m not sure if I will return. Can you provide an itinerary. It will be my son who is 11 and his friend who is 10 and my husband and myself.

4 Dave { 01.09.19 at 7:41 am }

Hi Dawn! At those ages, every park and every ride is appropriate. You don’t have time to see everything, so read through this to set some priorities, particularly how many days you want to devote to each park (start with two MK days and a day at each of the other three parks). It will also help you understand FastPass+, which is a critical planning tool.

The you want to pick your days for each park
5/29, avoid MK
5/30 avoid Epcot
5/31 avoid MK
6/1 avoid MK and AK
6/2 avoid HS
6/3 avoid AK

I don’t have daily itineraires on this site that will help, but my book includes one and two day itineraries for each park, with timing and FastPass+ suggestions.

5 Familyta { 01.08.19 at 11:28 am }

Hi dear!
We’re going to Orlando on May 07 and leave on May 21.
We bought 5 days tickets to Disney and 3 park explorer to Universal.
My friends told me that with a 8 year old child it is difficult to visit more than 3 parks in a row.
So we are planning to visit 2 or 3 park then a day off for shopping.
What do you suggest?

6 Dave { 01.09.19 at 7:59 am }

Hiya Familtyta. The best DIsney World visits include late nights (for the fireworks shows) and early mornings (to avoid crowds). S

o with kids, you can wear them out quickly after the adrenaline rush fades.

With all the time you have, I would do three things: schedule some afternoons off for naps/pool time; take days off here and there, especially after nights you have been out late; and if you can afford it, adding some days to your WDW ticket. Adding days makes it easier to take afternoons off and not miss as much, and multiplies your FastPass+ opportunities. Adding a sixth day (and more) will cost about $12/person/day–which is a pretty good price.

7 Kevin R { 02.07.19 at 11:50 pm }

Dave!

Love your site and the 2019 Update to your book came at a fantastic time!

We’re heading back to WDW May 8th – 15th. Can you tell me your recommended parks for each of those days? … If it’s listed somewhere in the book, just the page numbers will be helpful, but I couldn’t find specific park recommendations for each day, and more importantly for those 8 days I’ll be going.

Thank you again for everything, you and Josh make WDW so easy!

8 Dave { 02.08.19 at 8:29 am }

Hey Kevin, and thanks–we don’t put worst days in the book as because of Disney’s scheduling practices, we can only do them six months in advance, and can’t update the book at that pace! (Our Sept publishing date would have covered only Jan and Feb 2019)

Your dates,
5/8 avoid MK
5/9 avoid Epcot
5/10 avoid MK
5/11 avoid MK and AK
5/12 avoid HS
5/13 avoid AK
5/14 avoid Epcot
5/15 avoid MK

9 Kevin { 02.11.19 at 2:52 am }

Thank you for all of those dates! Thanks to your book and preparation, I had all of your avoid parks correct, expected on 5/13 I had planned on going to AK. I\’ll be revising that now, thank you again!

10 Gerard { 03.09.19 at 5:05 pm }

Hi,
We are planning on our first family trip to WDW in May, with my wife and two kids (4yo and 2yo).
We planned on avoiding parks with MAgic Hours or special events (to minimize crowds), which I list below too… but here is what we tentatively planned:
5/4, Sat: partial day at Epcot (MH@AK)
5/5, Sun: Animal Kingdom (Event at MK)
5/6, Mony: Magic Kingdom (Event at HS)
5/7, Tues: Hollywood Studios (MH@MK)

Any thoughts or feedback to adjust our plans?
Appreciate it!

11 Dave { 03.10.19 at 11:17 am }

Gerard–you don’t need to avoid the “events” if they are Early Morning Magic or Disney After Hours–too few people are involved in them for them to make a difference. And with kids that age, I would skip Epcot and add a second partial MK day.

12 Darlene Bell { 04.14.19 at 9:14 am }

We are planning to go from May 23 – 30th this year for my granddaughters 5th birthday. It will be 8 of us going. I pretty much have my itinerary ready. I just don’t know what the weather will be like when we go. I know it would be hot. But does it typically rain a lot during this time?

13 Dave { 04.15.19 at 9:45 am }

Hi Darlene, heavy storms are possible any day of the year, as fronts come down from the west. Other than that, at some point in May central Florida shifts from the dry to the wet season, with substantially increased humidity and the chance of a thunderstorms (often brief, but often intense) every afternoon. The actual date it shifts is not consistent, but given your arrival date the chances are high that you will be in the wet season. See this.