31 responses

1. BreAnna
    August 7, 2019

Hello!
    Wanted to gain your feedback on our park plans. We are going Sept 2-Sept 7
    Sept 2 – Arrive to AK @ 1:30 and tackle tree of life area and Dinoland
    Sept 3 – HS; I know it will be busy but hoping we can get in early for the magic hours
    Sept 4 – Epcot
    Sept 5 – MK
    Sept 6 – AK
    Sept 7 – Disney Springs, flights leaves at 5:30pm

Bre

August 8, 2019

Hi BreAnna!!

Frankly no one knows what will happen that weekend and right after, so I am guessing a bit here.

AK will be busy 9/2–MK will probably be a better choice.
      Among your options, 9/3 is an OK choice for HS
      9/4 is a good Epcot day
      9/5 is a busy MK day– 9/6 will be better at MK
      9/6 is an good AK day–but so is 9/5 if you want to flip it with your MK day

2. Ryan
    May 5, 2019

Have a trip planned September 2 through the 10th

Looking for some guidance on what parks to do each day.

3. Shelby
    April 30, 2019

Hello Dave! My trip is from 9/4 – 9/7
    9/4 will be at Hollywood studios. I know it will be busy but just a couple of rides I want to ride. 9/5 magic kingdom. 9/6 no parks. 9/7 epcot. I wanted to know what you think about those dates. Thanks so much!

May 1, 2019

Hi Shelby, I’m kind of OK with those. If your no-parks day is moveable, I’d avoid Saturday and do Epcot on Friday

4. Megan
    April 24, 2019

So we’re planning a trip next year with our kids when the youngest is a little older, but my husband and I had an opportunity pop up to go for a quick trip alone in early September. We’d be there Friday 9/6 through Sunday 9/8. Is it worth it? Any advice on how to get the most out of it? We’re looking forward to fireworks and doing a Food and Wine sans kids, but we still like to squeeze in some rides here and there! Thanks! So excited for an unexpected trip, but it’s making my type A brain freak out.

April 25, 2019

Megan, things might be rough that weekend with the partial opening of Galaxy’s Edge. How to approach your trip will very a ton based on personal tastes. For example, with my wife on a short trip I will plan at most a third of a day in the parks (e.g. a morning, an evening, or an afternoon), plan–other than at MK–not to do much beyond what I have FastPass+ for, sleep in, and have more afternoons off than not, as she loves the pool. We will have a nice meal planned at least every other day.

Other folks will rope drop and power through a park all day.

A hopper can be handy on a short trip, especially if you want to do Food and Wine but don’t have much interest in the rest of Epcot compared to other parks.

• Megan
        April 25, 2019

Kinda what I was thinking. We basically have three half days to do parks because of other plans, so I figured hit our fast passes and then just wander and focus more on food, drink, and taking it in. Definitely getting hoppers. Thanks for the advice!

April 27, 2019

Megan, have fun, relax, and let me know how it went!

5. Anissa
    April 9, 2019

Do you think it would be better to go to Disney world from 9/14 – 9/21? Or would it be better to go from 9/21 – 9/28? Which parks should we go to on each day? I have a feeling Star Wars is going to cause much bigger crowds, hopefully just for Hollywood Studios though.

Anissa

April 10, 2019

Hi Anissa, the earlier dates, partly because more kids are on break at the end of the oth, and partly because Epcot’s nighttime show will have its last run on September 30, and some will come in just to see it one more time.

Day forecasts are a bit up in the air until the Star Wars schedule–especially Extra MAgic Hours–becomes clear. For my overall thoughts on the implications of the opening for the other parks, see this.

But here’s my current thoughts for your earlier period:

9/14 avoid all, Epcot is the best among them
      9/15 avoid HS
      9/16 avoid MK and AK
      9/17 avoid Epcot and HS
      9/18 avoid MK
      9/19 avoid Epcot
      9/20 avoid MK, HS
      9/21 avoid all, Epcot is the best among them

6. Melissa Maxon
    April 4, 2019

OMG! so helpful. Exactly what I needed

7. Melissa Maxon
    April 3, 2019

Is there any way to get maps to download so that I can highlight and plan things out?

April 4, 2019

Melissa, my co-author Josh has maps on his site in PDFs. Go to his home page, hover over the parks, and click “theme park touring.” A PDF that includes maps will be available on those pages.

8. Melissa Maxon
    April 2, 2019

Hi Dave, we are going to WDW 9/15-9/21. We have a 2.5 year old. We went the week before xmas last year and didnt enjoy MK at all.
    I was thinking 9/17 – MK, 9/18 – Epcot, 9/19- AK
    Just trying to figure out what we should do at each park, spend the whole day, what to make sure and see.
    Also should be do the Mickeys Halloween

April 3, 2019

Hi Melissa, those are excellent day choices!

All the touring plans on this site are for much longer visits with much older kids. But in my book you can find one day touring plans for each park, some optimized for youngsters.

Frankly, with a child that young, I would skip the Halloween party. It is very expensive, and you get the most value from it by staying late.

9. Claire Marie
    March 31, 2019

Thanks so much Dave! That’s a big help

April 1, 2019

You’re welcome, Claire!

10. Claire Marie
    March 31, 2019

Our trip is 9/14-9/21/19. So confused now that our trip will be AFTER Galaxy Edge opening ( who would have thought it would actually open early!!?). Could you please give us some insight on which park to visit each day? We can hop if necessary as we purchased APs.
    Thanks for any input

March 31, 2019

Hi Claire! yup that was a shock! No one knows what HS crowds will actually be like–I think they will be OK except in Galaxy’s Edge itself, as noted here. The final EMH schedule at HS may change things a bit, so for now I am going to say avoid it except on days MK is open late.

9/14 avoid all, Epcot is the best bet among a not-great set of options
      9/15 avoid HS
      9/16 avoid MK and AK
      9/17 avoid HS and Epcot
      9/18 avoid MK
      9/19 avoid MK and Epcot
      9/20 avoid all but AK (MK will be ok if you are eligible for, and can arrive in time for, morning Extra Magic hours
      9/21 avoid all, Epcot is the best bet among a not-great set of options

11. Lisa
    March 19, 2019

It will be interesting for sure!!
    We are going for our usual September trip. Then they released the August 29th date and I thought uh-oh. But my husband is a Star wars crazy so it is all good lol

Thanks !!

March 20, 2019

Pack a spare alarm clock, Lisa!

12. Lisa
    March 18, 2019

I don’t know if this is really a question …. maybe a statement/question. We will be at Disney 9/14/19 – 09/18/19. Normally I can never get into Be our guest restaurant. So today at 11am not even at 6am I thought what the heck I will look (we aren’t doing free dining) so wasn’t up early to try to get any dining figured we would just wing it this year. Well holy cow every day I looked at Be our guest, Cinderellas royal table and Chef Mickey all had availability !!!!! 9 years straight this has never happened at any popular place with out me being up at the crack of dawn or trying every day up to our arrival date.
    Questions : WTH is that about?? You think this is because of star wars or you think people are cancelling waiting out until all of star wars opens.

thanks !!

March 19, 2019

Lisa, fascinating! The short answer is I dunno. Can’t rule out a glitch or a technical error, and ADRs did just open for those dates.

The longer answer is that while many talk about people delaying their Disney visit until Star Wars opens, there’s also a vast number of people who purposely picked September and other dates with the intent of avoiding the whole mess. My guess is that a ton of such folk cancelled their trips, and thus aren’t trying to get ADRs, etc.

This is why my forecasts say things like “Galaxy’s Edge and the adult oriented rides elsewhere in HS will be a hot mess, but the rest of the parks won’t see much effect.” Many people are planning their visits around the opening of Star Wars–some to be there, and some to avoid it. The balance of the two groups (plus some subtleties, like how many are coming solely or principally for Star Wars vs to have a “usual” trip and Star Wars too) is what will result on the overall impact resort-wide.

13. Jessica
    February 28, 2019

Hi Dave, first time going to WDW with my family from 9/4-9/11. I also wanted know about which parks to visit when. Hopefully you can help in a couple of weeks!

March 1, 2019

Hi Jessica! Disney’s calendar for then won’t be out until mid March, so ping me back then and I can help. If you need some forecasts before then let me know.

14. Caitlin
    February 26, 2019

Hi Dave! We arrive 9/24 and depart 10/2. We have 3-day park hopper plus tickets and want to visit AK, Epcot, and HS. What days might be best for each park? Thank you for your help!

February 27, 2019

Hi Caitlin, I’ll be glad to help, but can’t be accurate until after DIsney’s calendar for then comes out, in early April, so ping me back then, OK? I can also give you a pretty good guess as a starting point in a week or two if that would be helpful.

• Cinthia
        April 7, 2019

Hi Dave! Thanks for so helpful information! We’ll arrive on 09/25 and depart 10/09. 8 day park hoper (don’t know if we are going to use all os them because we have also water park and universal unlimited tickets). Would you have some advice about how would be the best days for Disney parks? Should we avoid EMH? Thanks in advance 😉

April 9, 2019

Hi Cinthia, Disney’s calendar for your date isn’t quite out yet–it will be in about 5 days–so ping me back then, OK??