505 responses

1. Lance
    September 15, 2017

Needing a little expert advise. We’re scheduled to make a return visit to Disney the week of 11/26. With the recent Hurricane I can only imagine the September goers have rescheduled their trips to later in the year. Checking through Disney’s property I have noticed all the properties now are booked solid the week we are scheduled. Not even Christmas week or any other week is showing that. Touring Plans is still listing this week as a viable time. So my question is what would you do? Stay with this week or which two weeks would you suggest moving to in early 2018? We enjoy nice weather (no rain) and riding all the rides.

September 16, 2017

Lance, agree with Kelly. Disney runs 80%+ occupancy year round, and is always highly booked the three weeks after Thanksgiving–because so many frequent visitors know that’s a great time to go, and frequent visitors are more likely to stay on-site, so it’s always hard to book.

2. Vanessa Hardin
    September 14, 2017

Thank you Dave! Are the crowds about the same on March 3-10 and April 7-14? We are flying into Sanford. Would you recommend a one-way car rental or keeping the car rental for the week to get around?

September 16, 2017

Vanessa the crowds will be a tad better in March, but fine either date. See this. You don’t need a rental, but it makes many things much simpler.

3. Vanessa Hardin
    September 13, 2017

By the way, I absolutely love your Spring Break fever meter!!! So interesting and helpful. Are you associated with touringplans.com by chance?

September 14, 2017

Nope!! Although I have the highest regard for Len and their book and site. (My book is better though.)

4. Vanessa Hardin
    September 13, 2017

Our family of four, my husband, myself, my 5yo daughter, and 3yo son will be first-timers and would like a mixture of magic kingdom, character visits, and mild weather to swim (they can’t get enough of swimming). Not desiring the sweltering heat of Florida (we live in the south and get enough heat as it is!). We can travel to Disney on these dates:
    1. March 3-10
    2. April 7-14
    3. May 12-19
    Any suggestions? What do you do when you arrive mid day on a Saturday and return mid day on a Saturday (do you try to go to the park in evening, or just take it easy at the resort?)

September 14, 2017

Hi Vanessa, I’ve always thought that best-balanced weather in Orlando is the second half of April and the second half of October. So I’d recommend your April dates.

FastPass+ makes short days very productive, and the way Disney prices tix–makes it (relatively) affordable to add extra days! So I advocate as many ticket days as you can bear, and fitting some breaks in via partial days mid-trip especially.

5. Laura Bolt
    August 31, 2017

dave thank you for your time after reading your review i thought you were advising against copper creek for the first time visit so thank you for clarifying i wasn’t sure if i should cx to Animal Kingdom. have a great day

September 2, 2017

Laura, I generally don’t recommend the larger room sizes of the DVC offerings as you won’t be in your room much. However, a studio in one is just fine, and there’s nothing wrong with the larger sizes (one and two bedroom villas, etc) if you can afford them!!

6. Laura
    August 30, 2017

Hi, you’re site is super helpful i have a couple questions i was hoping you could help me with? i am taking my son for the first time for his 5th bday (which he will turn in MK) we will be there 10/21-20/27 2017 and i really wanted to stay at the poly but it booked before i said yes to my travel agent. So now i’m at Copper Creek but not sure it’s the right choice. I haven’t been there since i was i child but bc time is so close my options are limited hotel wise i am looking to stay at deluxe resort what’s left is Disney Old Key, Saratoga AK (but limited choices) and Bolder. Is copper creek good? it’s just me my husband and son. Thank you so much for your time i sincerely appreciate it. Just looking to make this memorable for my son i’m not sure if we will get the opportunity to return anytime soon.

7. Ed
    August 30, 2017

Was wondering what Disney is like the last week of June. Was thinking of staying with family in Gulfport but spending one or two nights at Disney and take advantage of the FAST PASS. Any suggestions ?

August 30, 2017

Ed, see this for June 2017, which oughta be similar to June 2018, although see this too.

The difference between 60 day and 30 day FP+ can be profound for several rides, and by then, for the new Toy Story area at HS as well. So your thought of having a few nights at a WDW hotel is a good one!!

8. Dee
    March 21, 2017

We are trying to decide between August 7-15 2017 & November 6-17 2017. Staying on property. Do you suggest getting park hopper? We will get the 9 or 10 day passes.

March 22, 2017

Dee, for which week to pick, see this. On a trip that long, a hopper is usually an unnecessary expense.

9. Kris Wright
    March 13, 2017

Hi there!

First family trip to WDW is scheduled from 7/25/8/5. Yes, we know it will be hot and crowded, but it is what it is and is better than staying home! Can you recommend which days to do MK?

March 13, 2017

Hi Kris! Your best MK days will be Tuesdays and Thursdays.

10. Melissa Williams
    January 19, 2017

Hello,
    We are thinking of planning a trip during the middle of March 12th – 18th, 2017. Just wondering what the crowd will be like. It will be a multiple family vacation with about 6 children age ranging from 2 – 17. Are there certain days that are better for specific parks? Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom?
    Thanks for any info.
    MW

January 21, 2017

Melissa, I class that as a week to avoid because of crowds and prices. More is here.

You need a good plan for those dates–see this and its daily plans for example, although some of its elements needed to have been booked months ago.

You can also build itineraries from the per-park touring plans in my book, although there too you have (just) missed a few deadlines.

On park days, here’s what it looks like now:

3/12 avoid MK and HS
      3/13 avoid MK and AK
      3/14 avoid Epcot
      3/15 avoid MK
      3/16 avoid Epcot
      3/17 avoid MK and HS
      3/18 avoid MK and AK

Note that the many “avoid MK” days make targeting it easy (14th and 16th); the rest of your park days are then easy to slot in.

11. Noereena
    January 12, 2017

Hi Dave

Thanks so much for your assistance…

Warm Regards
    Noereena

January 12, 2017

🙂 Noreena

12. Noereena
    December 23, 2016

Hi Dave

Trust you keep well!

We are a family from South Africa and would like to know when is the best time to visit. We love the heat so winter time would be a no no for us. It would possibily be 2 adults and 2 kids age 11(girl) and 14(boy) can you suggest where should we book for a great vacation and which hotels as I see on the Disney site there are plenty to choose from and advice would be great please ….

Maybe to add on we looking at a 10 day stay and where can we get a qoute from …

Thank a mil..
    Noereena

December 23, 2016

Noereena, start here and work through the topics that begin with the words “INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR FIRST DISNEY WORLD VISIT”

For help with booking, use Kelly at 980-429-4499 or KellyB@DestinationsInFlorida.com–tell her I sent you…

13. Amanda
    December 11, 2016

Hi Dave, we are planning a trip to WDW Feb 5-7th, 2017. Our kids are 8 and 5. I think we’ve decided on Magic Kingdom, Hollywood studios, and epcot. Could you tell me which days best for those parks? Thanks

December 12, 2016

Hi Amanda!!

Avoid the 7th at Epcot, the 5th at HS. The best MK day will be the 7th, which suggests the 5th at Epcot, and 6th at HS.

14. Michael
    September 26, 2016

We went March 1-10th and it was almost strange. The park was EMPTY!!! I have photos all over the park of 3-4 people standing around, and my kids on rides with NOTHING but empty seats around them. It was crazy. Not only that but disney gave us a free upgrade to a family 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suit for free as they had so many empty rooms. We have been back about 6 times and never seen this again. The weather was great, park was empty, best trip ever. One photo shocks people when they see it, kids on Dumbo at 4pm with not a single other rider on the ride.

September 28, 2016

Thanks, Michael!

15. Kelly B – Destinations In Florida
    August 25, 2016

Denise-

Other than what Dave mentioned, some things to keep in mind about visiting Animal Kingdom

– The animals are active when then weather is cooler. During the heat of the day, and during hot months, they sleep a lot and find shaded (hidden) areas So you just don\’t see them as often.

– Most of what you do at animal kingdom is outside. Another reason to avoid those hot months.

Some of the best visits to Animal Kingdom have been in late Fall and early Winter.

Let me know if I can be of help with planning your vacation – KellyB@DestinationsInFlorida.com

16. Denise
    August 24, 2016

I am wanting to take a trip to Animal Kingdom. Can you tell me when the best time of year would be to go. Thanks.

August 24, 2016

Denise, this page gives you the best times overall. In any given week, at least based on current patterns, Sundays and Tuesdays are the best days of the week to go to AK.

17. Stephanie
    August 23, 2016

I am seeing if you can help me make my plans? We are sceduled to be there Oct 1-4,16, We have the park hopper with water park passes. I am having a hard time figuring out which park to do which day to get it all in. If we don’t need the waterpark passes can we get those refunded before we leave? Or do I need an extra day? We are then off to universal for a few days. Any suggestions on how to get to Universal from Disney?

August 24, 2016

Stephanie, are you bringing kids? If so what ages?

18. Belle
    July 23, 2016

Hi, I forgot to mention that we are flexible with our dates in 2017 and can travel to WDW in July, August, Setember, October or November. We would just like to know when is the best month and dates to visit for 2 adults to avoid large crowds and bad weather? Thank you

19. Belle
    July 23, 2016

Hi, my husband & I are planning a trip from Australia to WDW in 2017. Could you please advise when is the best months & dates to visit as we really have no idea. We were considering 2 weeks in August as we would like to visit all the parks. If we decide to book for August what dates would you suggest being the less crowded and is August a good month to visit WDW. We greatly appreciate any help. Thank you

20. James
    June 11, 2016

We are debating a trip next year in honor of our daughter’s 5th birthday. We hope to go for a week and know we want to stay at POFQ. Her birthday is March 4th. I admit the idea of waking her up the day of her birthday and saying “We’re going to DisneyWorld” is great fun and we love the idea of her getting to wear a pin and getting birthday greetings. . . . .. BUT. . . some sites are saying that the crowds may be a little higher. . our other option is to go the beginning of May. May would be warmer and we know our daughter would want to play in the pool and the new water play ground and March might not be warm enough. Any thoughts?

June 12, 2016

James, the first full week of March is typically fine! See this.

Note that Disney has strict rules about when you can wear a birthday pin–must be at least 6 months before your birthday, or within 6 months after…

Early May will indeed be more likely to have better pool weather…

21. Load More Comments…