By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2018, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here.—Disney World Instructions for the First-Time Visitor

Chance of Hurricane Affecting Florida during Visit by Arrival Date

Weather    Temps    Rain    Hurricanes    Tornadoes    Winter Highs     Winter Pool Days

The thumbnail (click to open) illuminates the chance of a cyclonic storm affecting any part of Florida during any part of a 9 day visit to Walt Disney World.

It’s by arrival date, and is based on 30 years of data.

It helps illuminate the Disney World (and Florida) hurricane season more specifically than general statements like “The hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.”

The takeaway is that a 9 day Walt Disney World vacation has the biggest chance of being affected for arrival dates in late August through early October.

Ninety percent of activity is from August through October; 50% between August 20th and October 10th; and the peak of the storm season is September 10th.

It is unusual for a Disney vacation to be ruined by a cyclonic storm–but it happens.

All this site’s weather pages except for the material on cyclonic storms and on tornadoes are based on 20 years of data from the National Weather Service ending in December 2006. The cyclonic storm material is based on 30 years of data from Wikipedia. The tornado material is from NOAA/NCDC and goes from 1950 through October 2009.

The 2017 easy Guide

Kelly B Can Help You Book Your Trip

Follow on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Kristie { 07.27.16 at 12:57 pm }

Hi Dave, I’m planning to go to Orlando and Bahamas from 11/7/16-11/16/16. Is it still hurricane season? And, will there be short thunderstorms daily? I can change dates anytime for now, before I book the flight. Thanks 🙂

2 Dave { 07.28.16 at 8:12 am }

Kristie, the official hurricane seasons lasts through 11/30, but the peak ends in early October. Afternoon thunderstorms can happen any day, but are much more common in the summer.

3 Catina { 08.03.16 at 10:41 am }

My son is headed to college Florida. My husband and I will be taking him to get settled into his dorm and plan on stopping at WDW while we are there. Our travel dates are 8/17 through 8/23. Can you tell me how the weather might be for 2016?

4 Dave { 08.03.16 at 12:03 pm }

Catina, it’s too early for a specific forecast for then, Expect hot, humid, and afternoon thunderstorms.

5 Tracy Hardy { 08.11.16 at 7:24 pm }

We will be coming on 8-16-2016 through 8-21-16, other than rain will the hurricane effect Orlando.

6 Dave { 08.12.16 at 11:57 am }

Tracy, there’s nothing in the forecast right now.

7 Honeymoon Destinations During Hurricane Season - World Travels { 08.20.16 at 12:49 am }

[…] Chance of hurricane affecting florida during visit by. The hurricane season at walt disney world. The thumbnail (click to open) illuminates the chance of a cyclonic storm affecting any part of florida during any. […]

8 Tom { 08.31.16 at 4:42 pm }

Booked a vacation to Disney and universal the last week of September. We also planned to visit cocoa Beach. Are the beaches closed during that time?

9 Dave { 09.02.16 at 8:21 am }

Tom, I’m sorry that I don’t track the beaches, but I believe they are open year-round

10 Ian { 02.22.17 at 11:35 am }

My wife and I are going to wdw nov 18 – Dec 2. What should crowds be like and what should the weather be like please?

11 Dave { 02.23.17 at 6:43 am }

Ian, see this–about 2016 but the patterns will be similar.

12 Lori { 03.01.17 at 11:54 am }

Hey Dave. Love your site. We are planning our second trip to WDW, our 1st visit was the week of Halloween in 2015 and it was great! Our original plans for our 2nd trip was set for April 22-30, but due to unavoidable circumstances we are having to reschedule our trip. My next avalible time to go would be Sept 2 – 10. Is this a time you would recommend for a second visit, or will I regret this time because of weather? Our only other option would be December 10th, I hate to wait that long though. Thanks for your help.

13 Dave { 03.04.17 at 9:58 am }

Lori, I would pick December, but you will face lower crowds and prices in Sept.

14 jane { 07.10.17 at 9:01 pm }

Hi, we are coming to Florida on July 25, 2017, until 8/1. Is there any forecast of hurricane that date?

15 Dave { 07.11.17 at 7:30 am }

Jane, hurricane forecasts usually come out 3 or 4 days ahead of time. Take a lok at e.g. this then.

16 Tamara Hurtado { 07.16.17 at 11:43 am }

I have booked for September 16th through 23rd on Estero Island. What can i anticipate weather – wise?

17 Dave { 07.19.17 at 10:59 am }

Sorry, Tamara, I follow only Orlando weather.

18 Chasity Perry { 09.04.17 at 8:46 am }

Hello we book our vacation to Orlando Sept 11 to Sept 18 2017 for our anniversary what is our chances of our vacation getting ruined ..

19 Dave { 09.04.17 at 11:23 am }

Chasity, it’s too early to say, but if Irma does hit Orlando, the most likely worst outcome would be 1. a lot of rain, and 2. perhaps the parks closing for one day.

20 Andrea { 09.06.17 at 6:09 pm }

First WDW trip planned for the week of October 23 I know that it is hurricane season but what is the likelihood of the trip being ruined

21 Paloma { 09.07.17 at 9:38 am }

Same dates here! But the 25th of October. Hoping for the best ???

22 Dave { 09.08.17 at 9:27 am }

Andrea, highly unlikely. While the season continues through November, the peak ends by Columbus Day.

23 Karla Pimentel { 09.11.17 at 2:10 am }

Hi Dave! We have a WDW vacation booked for Sept 16 to Sept 23. It is very sad what hurricane Irma has been doing over the past few days, aNd I am affraid that our vacation would be ruined it for this hurricane. Based on your experience, what are the chances of our trip being ruined? Thank you, Dave!

24 Dave { 09.11.17 at 9:03 am }

Karla, you’ll be fine–I don’t think you’ll be able to tell Irma was even around…

25 Jennifer { 09.17.17 at 9:10 pm }

I was reading your above comments on hurricane season. I know it goes till the end of November. We arrive on the 27th of November this year. Should we still be ok?

26 Dave { 09.18.17 at 8:50 am }

Jennifer, it would be highly unusual for there to be a WDW impact after mid-October. Later storms, when they occur, tend to effect more the mid-atlantic and northeast states.

27 Jennifer { 09.18.17 at 8:38 pm }

Thank you so much for that piece of mind.

It just so happens I live on Long Island and don’t really recall there ever being a storm that late in the season up here.

28 Dave { 09.19.17 at 10:23 am }

Jennifer, they are very rare after early October. Sandy would be the example.

My response to questions and comments will be on the same page as the original comment, likely within 24-36 hours . . . I reserve the right to edit and delete comments as I choose . . . All rights reserved. Copyright 2008-2018 . . . Unless otherwise noted, all photos are by me--even the ones in focus--except for half a dozen from my niecelets . . . This site is entirely unofficial and not authorized by any organizations written about in it . . . All references to Disney and other copyrighted characters, trademarks, marks, etc., are made solely for editorial purposes. The author makes no commercial claim to their use . . . Nobody's perfect, so follow any advice here at your own risk.