2017 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World, Ranked in Order
By Dave Shute
OVERVIEW: THE BEST TIMES IN 2017 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
This site recommends arriving at Walt Disney World one of the first three Saturdays after Thanksgiving.
If you can’t go then, presented below are my rankings of the weeks of 2017 in order of best to worst times to visit Disney World.
These rankings are designed for first time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.
(For 2018 rankings, see this.)
RECOMMENDED 2017 WEEKS, RANKED IN ORDER
The thirteen recommended weeks that follow are wonderful weeks to visit Walt Disney World in 2017.
Week number one has it all–lower crowds, lower prices and wonderful Christmas programs and decorations. The first Saturday of this week overlaps with Thanksgiving crowds, but the rest of it will be marvelous:
- 1: 11/25/17
Weeks 2 and 3 have many, but not all, of the strengths of week 1:
- 2: 12/9/17. A week as good as week 1 on crowds and holiday programs. Slightly more expensive, however, than weeks 1 or 3
- 3: 12/2/17. Largely a terrific week with low crowds, low prices and wonderful holiday programs. However, this is a week that, because of Pop Warner football demand for resort rooms, is rarely discounted beyond its already low prices. Those intending to stay at a value resort, Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs should consider avoiding this week and target week 1 or 2 instead, as Pop Warner guests may make these resorts boisterous this week
Week 4 has lower prices and crowds, and offers in its first few days Disney World’s Halloween program
- 4: 10/28/17
Week 5 is a very strong week. It has low crowds and prices, and Disney World’s holiday program at the Magic Kingdom will be in place
- 5: 11/11/17
Weeks 6 is your best 2017 Spring Break bet, with low crowds and moderate prices
- 6: 3/4/17
Weeks 7 and 8 are similar to week 4 but projected at slightly higher crowds. They share great late autumn weather. These are near-tied, but are in calendar order as the better weather is earlier this time of year
- 7: 10/14/17
- 8: 10/21/17
Weeks 9 to 12 are all in the same 2017 post-Easter stretch, and share low crowds, moderate prices, and nice spring weather. They are in calendar order, as the weather is better earlier in this period
- 9: 4/22/17
- 10: 4/29/17
- 11: 5/6/17
- 12: 5/13/17
Week 13 is the second-best 2017 Spring Break week, with low crowds and moderate prices
- 13: 2/25/17
This completes the weeks in 2017 that are recommended.
2017 WEEKS I’M NOT SO KEEN ON
Weeks 14-20 all have moderate crowd levels, with different prices and weather. I don’t particularly recommend moderate-crowd weeks for first time visitors, but they are quite manageable, and I would go myself such weeks with no hesitation.
They are in order of least to most crowded, and within crowd groups are sorted by price.
- 14: 11/4/17. “Jersey Week”—teacher meetings in New Jersey, leading to a massive temporary immigration of New Jersey families to Orlando. Crowds moderate-minus, prices low to moderate, almost never with major discounts.
- 15: 5/20/17 Similar to week 12, slightly more heat and humidity and crowds.
- 16: 10/8/17. Columbus Day week, with higher crowds and prices than the great weeks (ranked 7, 8 and 4) that follow it
- 17: 8/5/17 Moderate-plus crowds as the summer season begins to fade away
- 18: 6/3/17. Beginning of summer–similar crowds to week 17, but slightly higher prices in deluxes
- 19: 4/1/17. Moderate+ crowds and high prices. My draft of this material had this as a better week, but the late-arriving crowd facts ended up not supporting such a position. Moreover, crowds may be higher than my forecast.
- 20: 4/15/17. The week after Easter is usually quite bad, but the late Easter in 2016 has moderated the number of kids on break, especially after Easter Monday. However, crowds may be higher than my forecast.
Weeks 21-28 have one thing in common: they occur during the peak of the hurricane season. Hurricanes are rare and even more rarely affect a Disney World vacation, but for first-timers who may never return, why not just avoid the risk? For returning visitors, though, the low-crowd weeks among this group can be wonderful times to visit.
They are ranked in order of first crowd levels, and within the same crowd level prices.
Weeks 21 and 22 have among the lowest crowds and lowest prices of the year.
- 21: 9/9/17
- 22: 9/16/17
Weeks 23 to 25 are similar, but with slightly higher crowds than 21 and 22–with 25 forecast to have slightly higher crowds than 23 and 24
- 23: 9/2/17
- 24: 9/23/17
- 25: 8/26/17
Week 26 is at the outer range of low crowds
- 26: 8/19/17
Weeks 27 and 28 are the only moderate-crowd weeks in this hurricane group
- 27: 9/30/17
- 28: 8/12/17
2017 WEEKS TO AVOID AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
The first group, ranked 29-45, should be avoided because of crowds ranging from high to unbelievable.
This group includes all of later June, July and early August (massive crowds). It also includes the busy March Spring Break weeks beginning 3/11/2017, and the holiday weeks—President’s Day week, the week before Easter, Thanksgiving week, and the weeks around Christmas.
Click the table for exact rankings within these lousy weeks.
Some of these weeks have the lowest crowds and lowest prices of the year.
(But not all--click the table above.)
However, this is the peak time for ride closures at Walt Disney World, especially the January weeks.
If this may be your only family visit, why go when you know some of the best of Disney World will be closed?
If you must go during this period, avoid the first days of January (massive crowds), the Martin Luther King Day (1/14/17 arrival date) holiday weekend, and the week before the Pro Bowl (which is January 29th).