February 2014 at Walt Disney World

February   March   April   May   June   July   August   September

OVERVIEW: FEBRUARY 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD

February 2014 at Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netThis page reviews February 2014 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, and operating hours; adds a few other notes; and ends with week by week summaries.

Early February 2014 will see low crowds, low prices, and the prospect of  ride closures.

The high crowds and prices of Presidents Day dominate the middle of the month, with rougher times beginning Thursday the 13th and continuing through Saturday the 22nd.

Crowds and prices diminish beginning the 23rd–though a massive convention in Orlando runs the 23rd through the 27th, promising to make hotel rooms scarce, and perhaps leading to some minor holdover crowds showing up in the parks beginning the afternoon of the 27th.

FEBRUARY 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Earlier February is one of the least crowded times at Walt Disney World. The 13th through the 22nd–and especially the 16th on–is much more crowded, as many schools have the entire week of President’s Day off, and others have very long weekends beginning the 13th.

Crowds drop beginning the 23rd, but the 2014 HIMSS conference–with 35,000+ attendees–runs February 23-27 at the Orange County Convention Center.  As a result, the end of the week of the 22nd will be little busier than is typical for this time of the year.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 2/1 has a ranking of 1/lowest; the week beginning 2/8, a ranking of 4/low+ (much lower early in the week, high later in the week), 2/15 10/higher-plus, and 2/22  3/low–better Sunday to Wednesday, a little crowded Thursday and following.

See this for more on 2014 crowds at Disney World.

FEBRUARY 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

February hotel prices begin the month at their lowest levels of the year.

Beginning February 13, they kick up to 50% higher at the values, 30% higher at the moderates, and 35% higher at the deluxes.

On February 23, they drop to 30% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 17% higher at the moderates, and 15% at the deluxes. Prices stay at this level until March 7.

See this for more on 2014 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

FEBRUARY 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for February 2014.  Details are here.

FEBRUARY 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

February weather is cooler and variable. Cold, rainy days—not uncommon—are great for first time visitors, as they reduce the crowds in the parks and make the rides easier to see with low waits. Returning visitors looking for good days to lounge around the pool should not count on many.

Disney World Temperatures and Percentile Distribution Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

OTHER NOTES AND COMMENTS ON FEBRUARY 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

January and, to a lesser extent, early February are the most common periods for rides to be closed for refurbishment.

This makes these months less good for first time visitors who do not know if they will return—why go when the chances of missing something great are high?

FEBRUARY 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR FEBRUARY 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

2014 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World Ranked in Order v2Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

1/25/2014  Lowest prices. Lowest crowds. Crowd ranking=1. Week ranking=48. Ride closures likely. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

2/1/2014 Lowest prices. Lowest crowds. Crowd ranking=1. Week ranking=47. Ride closures likely. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

2/8/2014  Prices moderate. Low-plus crowds–better earlier in week, worse at end. Crowd ranking=4. Week ranking=52. Ride closures likely. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

2/15/2014 Higher prices. Higher crowds. Crowd ranking=10 Week ranking=42. President’s Day weekend at beginning of week. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary, but check for earlier openings and added Extra Magic Hours, especially at the Magic Kingdom.

2/22/2014  Moderate prices. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=11. Recommended week. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

1 Lilly { 08.14.13 at 5:13 pm }

Hi! I was wondering if you have an overview for each month in 2014. I found the overviews for January and February 2014, but didn’t see the rest of the months for 2014. I have seen your best weeks list and it was very helpful. Specifically, I was interested in your recommendations for the best two weeks (based on low crowds and great weather) for April 2014. We have access to a timeshare so we are less concerned with factoring in resort prices (unless food prices are effected by peak and value seasons). Many thanks! Lilly

2 Dave { 08.15.13 at 7:36 am }

Hi Lilly, I don’t post pages like this until Disney releases its calendar for the month–which it does 6 months ahead, so April should be out in a month or so.

In the meantime, you can find all the weeks of the year–including April–ranked and rated here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

If all you care about is crowds, then see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/

Weather in April is fine–though the later in the month, the better!!

3 Denise { 08.19.13 at 8:16 am }

Good Morning, we are going to Disney for the first time with three kids (6,6,9) and my in-laws (who are very laid back) the dreaded Presidents Day week. My DH is a principal and we just can’t get around it. I am very, very nervous that we are spending all this money and the trip is going to be a bust b/c of crowds. I was successful this am in making all of ADRs at the restaurants we wanted which shocked me. Any tips for how to make this enjoyable, with crowds everywhere?!?!? Should I try to change it for April 12-19? That looks just as bad on your crowd calendar ~ but not on others I looked at. Please Help! Thanks!

4 Denise { 08.19.13 at 8:18 am }

I should add that we used undercover tourist to look at crowds at each park each day and then planned our parks and meals around that, NOT around EMHs ~ except for MK one day. We are going to use the EMHs for MK and then get out of there and head to Chef Mickey’s for an early dinner (5:30).

5 Dave { 08.20.13 at 7:09 am }

Hi Denise! First, stick with your dates–April 12 and on will be much worse. Second, commit to showing up well before the parks open, and riding the longer-wait rides first. Third, use Fastpasses, or Fastpass+ if you are eligible–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/20/what-you-need-to-know-now-about-fastpass/

6 Dave { 08.20.13 at 7:10 am }

Denise, I am not too keen on the UT crowd calendar, preferring those at easywdw.com and touringplans.com…

7 Sheryl Denning { 01.02.14 at 11:20 am }

Hi, We are going to WDW 2/1-2/9 and friends want to join us but no rooms at Pop, or any Value resorts. If this is 1 of the slowest weeks how come there are no rooms ?

Thanks
Sheryl

8 Dave { 01.02.14 at 11:54 am }

Hey Sheryl, the room occupancy rate is never a crowd calendar, as many other issues drive it.

For example, that week is just a little more than a month away, is one of both the lowest priced and lowest crowd weeks of the year, and has had three different deals aimed at it. So savvy travelers are all over it. So I’m not in the least surprised that they can’t book that many nights, then, on such short notice. There is availability for shorter stays, so they may be able to stick together 2 or three stays that cover all the desired nights…

9 Maria { 02.02.14 at 9:07 pm }

Hi Dave! I’m going to wdw for the first time from 2/14 to 2/23. I’ve bought the tickets with the park hopper option and also I’ve read that on 2/16 there’s going to be EMH in Magic Kindom from 1 am to 3 am. , so I’m thinking it’s a good idea to go in the morning to Epcot and in the evening to MK until its closure. Do you think that’s a good idea or should I go to MK other day? ( I only have 4 day base tickets)

Ps. I hope you understand what is my concern, because I’m not a native english speaker.

10 Dave { 02.03.14 at 7:17 am }

Maria, that approach could work!

11 Heather { 02.04.14 at 8:30 pm }

I have not been able to see times for events feb 22-26….fireworks, etc
Is this a glitch or is there something specific I need to do? Also when are princess schedules available? Can I find out the “friend” of Cinderella & rapunzel?

12 Dave { 02.05.14 at 2:47 pm }

Heather, I’m not sure what you are asking about–do you mean the WDW calendar isn’t showing for you?

13 Heather { 02.05.14 at 4:38 pm }

When I try to add fireworks to “my plans”, on any day from feb 22-26 is says no days and times available. Do they have fireworks or wishes every night? What time?

Also. When you meet Cinderella & a friend. When can you find out who the friend is?

14 Dave { 02.06.14 at 6:58 am }

Heather, the MK fireworks show Wishes is on every night your dates–10p the 22nd, and 8p the following nights. Likely the Disney site is just having a glitch. And I’m not aware of any way you can find out ahead of time who the “friends” are–other than asking those leaving just befroe you enter…

15 Heather { 02.07.14 at 9:31 am }

what time should we leave art of animation to get to mk at opening?
Thanks again.

16 Dave { 02.07.14 at 9:38 am }

Heather, be at the bus stop a little more than an hour before opening. E.g. if open is 9a, be there at 8.50 or 8.55…

17 Michelle Boshier { 02.11.14 at 12:11 pm }

Hello,
my son has autisim and we have booked disneyworld for jan 29th-feb 12,, I was told these were quiter times to visit.,.but have seen a few comments that those dates this year were very crowded!? Was there a reason or is it just busier alltogether nowadays? Thankyou!

18 Jen { 02.11.14 at 10:25 pm }

Hello,

We r doing a one day pass next week to MK. My girls would like to take the water taxi over to the Disney Yacht club. Can I get there without a hopper? If so what is the fastest way to get to the boat taxi from MK? Thank you!

19 Dave { 02.12.14 at 8:09 am }

Michelle, while a little higher than expected, they weren’t particularly crowded–crowds were belwo average. See this http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/02/03/walt-disney-world-crowd-report-january-26-february-1-2014/ and this http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/02/10/walt-disney-world-crowd-report-february-2-8-2014/

20 Dave { 02.12.14 at 8:15 am }

Hi Jen, I may not be understanding your question. There is no water taxi or any water route from the Magic Kingdom to the Yacht Club. To get to the Yacht Club from the Magic Kingdom, you would take the Yacht Club bus from the bus area near the front of the Magic Kingdom.