Designing Your Walt Disney World Vacation to a Lower Target Budget

WHAT YOU CAN DO AT WALT DISNEY WORLD FOR A TARGET BUDGET

While doing so will not provide you with the best possible first family visit, of course you can design your trip around a target budget.

What you can do for a target budget at Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netFor example, if the recommended trip at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort for $5,300 (during the 2014 fall price season) plus transportation is too much, you could follow the steps below instead to design a trip you can afford.

DESIGNING YOUR DISNEY WORLD TRIP TO A TARGET BUDGET

1. Set your target Disney World budget.

2. Look up on the chart above what you can do at Walt Disney World for that.

For example, if your target budget before transportation is $3,000, you’ll note that you could either

• With no extra funds for souvenirs and special shows and events, stay for 4 nights and be in the parks for 5 days, or
  • With an allowance for extras, stay for 3 nights and have 4 days in the parks

The chart assumes a family of four with one kid younger than ten, and includes hotel, Magic Your Way base park tickets, and the Dining Plan. (See this for more on the Dining Plan.)

Designing a Disney World Visit to a Target Budget from yourfirstvisit.net

The chart above includes the specific numbers, so that you can see, for example, just what the “extra and special” budget amount is for your target budget.

3. Then either modify one of the existing itineraries and To-Do Lists to match what you can afford, or go to this page to build your own.

LINKS FOR WHAT TO BUDGET FOR WALT DISNEY WORLD

For the basic December trip recommended by this site

For help getting to much lower budget numbers,

• For reducing your transportation costs, see this

For Walt Disney World price seasons,

• See this for resort price seasons
  • See this for Disney Dining Plan price seasons
  • See this for Walt Disney World theme park admission tickets

For the Tightwad’s Guideto Walt Disney World, see this

For the Comfortable Guide to Walt Disney World, see this

Home Donate Sitemap

1 Joan Andersen { 07.30.10 at 11:42 am }

We are investigating a December, 2011, Christmas week visit and will be staying at the campground. We did this in 2003 so we are familiar with it. I am having trouble finding any prices for the campground. Can you find any?

2 Dave { 07.30.10 at 6:17 pm }

Joan–the 2011 prices should come out any day now.

Disney typically releases prices for the next calendar year in early August….

If you can’t wait….I expect they will be very close to 2010 prices. See this on MouseSavers.com for Fort Wilderness 2010 prices: http://www.mousesavers.com/ftwilderness2010.html#campsites

Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

Dave

3 Sandra { 07.16.11 at 3:53 pm }

I am traveling with a party of 8 fromages 4 to 80. My mom will not want to do more than a day or two for about 1 show per day. I would like the flexibility of any park, any day for 3 days but I do not see a package for that. Can we get this…we are also a military family!!! we want to take advantage of those discounts!

4 Dave { 07.16.11 at 4:23 pm }

Hi Sandra!

You can buy tickets for any number of days up to 10. To go to any park any day, you add the “Park Hopper” option to the tickets. For tix for the general public, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/06/12/disney-world-2011-2012-admission-ticket-prices/

You can also buy military discount tickets with park hoppers–however you can only buy 6 (you’d have to get the other two at regular rates). See this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/10/24/disneys-military-salute-for-2011-officially-announced/ Note that this deal and also the discount on rooms mentioned on the same page have been extended to Sept 2012. Disney has not published the details of this extension yet, but you can find more here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/05/24/key-details-on-extension-of-disneys-armed-forces-salute-are-out/

FInally, for on-site hotels for such a large group, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/special-circumstances/special-circumstances-large-families/

Hope this helps! Dave

5 melissa { 02.25.12 at 3:16 pm }

i am a single mother saving for a trip for my family of 5. i dont plan plan on going until 2015 which seems kinda far off….are there any savings or discounts for booking trips that far off? if not then what do u suggest?

6 Dave { 02.25.12 at 6:40 pm }

Hi Melissa, you can save a bit on tickets–which are shockingly expensive–by buying them as soon as you can afford them. After you buy them, they’ll go up 3-5% a year, but you won’t have to pay any more…just don’t lose them!

7 bobbi { 01.28.13 at 9:13 am }

I am considering a, Walt Disney trip, around, August 1, 2013 for about, 4, nights. I am looking at,myself,46, and one,19 year old and one, 18 year old. I am intrested in, lodgeing and park tickets, I am sure the boys will want to do their own thing and at any time they decide. I do believe that the the dining options will be, fine, becuase the boys will eat anything they get as long as they are on the move at the, Walt Disney, attractions.Do you have any,lodging and ticket, suggestions? I am also trying to do this on, $4,000.00,,,, Is it even possible??? Thanks

8 Dave { 01.28.13 at 12:27 pm }

Hi Bobbi! Sure that’s possible–depending on where you stay. For what you can do for $4k at one of the least expensive hotels, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/what-to-budget/estimating-budgets/designing-your-walt-disney-world-vacation-to-a-lower-target-budget/ The prices on the page are not for August, but they are close.

My hotel suggestions, by price type, are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/next-best-resort-choices/ They are aimed at much younger kids, however.

For tickets and kids that age, you probably want the “park hopper” option–this gives them the most freedom. See this for ticket prices and types: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/06/03/disney-world-ticket-prices-2012-to-summer-2013/

9 pam { 06.23.14 at 9:02 am }

I am going by myself. Looking to stay at pop century value resort at christmas time (late november..anytime through december). Everything looks to be geared toward families and children. Do you have any tips?

10 Dave { 06.24.14 at 3:58 pm }

Hi Pam, Disney can be a hoot as a single traveler. Most of my visits are solo (I travel too frequently to be able to afford bringing my family always too!) and about all I miss is the table service dining, which I’ll rarely do solo. Your dates, avoid December 20 and later…

Leave a Comment | Ask a Question | Note a Problem easy 15 banner

My response to questions and comments will be on the same page as the original comment, likely within 24-36 hours . . . I reserve the right to edit and delete comments as I choose . . . All rights reserved. Copyright 2008-2014 . . . Unless otherwise noted, all photos are by me--even the ones in focus--except for half a dozen from my niecelets . . . This site is entirely unofficial and not authorized by any organizations written about in it . . . All references to Disney and other copyrighted characters, trademarks, marks, etc., are made solely for editorial purposes. The author makes no commercial claim to their use . . . Nobody's perfect, so follow any advice here at your own risk.