March 2013 at Walt Disney World

March   April   May   June   July   August    September   October

OVERVIEW: MARCH 2013 AT DISNEY WORLD

This page reviews March 2013 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, operating hours, adds a few other notes, and ends with week by week summaries.

MARCH 2013 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

March crowds at Disney World are profoundly influenced by spring break patterns.

In 2013, peak crowd weeks will be those beginning March 9, March 23 and March 30, each with a crowd level of 11.

Late February and very early March crowds will be fine, the week beginning March 2 will be ok, and the week beginning March 16 will be bad, but not as bad as the weeks before and after it..

See this for more on 2013 crowds at Disney World.

MARCH 2013 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

March has three price seasons, and is increasingly expensive over the course of the month.

March prices begin 15-30% higher than the lowest of the year. On March 8, they jump to 30-55% higher, and on March 22 to 50-80% higher.

See this for more on 2013 prices at Walt Disney World.

MARCH 2013 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

You can find deals for March 2013 here.

MARCH 2013 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

March weather shifts from the variable and cooler temperatures of winter to the higher and more predictable temperatures of spring.

For example, at the beginning of March, 80% of the time the daily high will be 70 or better, but it will be higher than the lower 80s only 20% of the time. By the beginning of May, 80% of the time the daily high will be 80 or warmer, and it will be 90 or higher 20% of the time.

Tornadoes can be an issue during this period. See this for more.

Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

(When open, click again to enlarge.)

MARCH 2013 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds, particularly during Easter week.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

OTHER NOTES AND COMMENTS ON MARCH 2013 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

The 2013 Epcot International Flower and Garden show begins March 6 and runs until May 20.   See this for more.

Various special events related to Easter will happen late in the month.

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR MARCH 2013 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2013 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

Click the image for a calendar view of 2013 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

2/23/2103 Prices and crowds lowest among these weeks.  Crowd ranking=2. Best 2013 Spring Break week at Disney World. Weather remains cooler and variable. Week ranking=10. Recommended Week. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

3/2/2013 Higher prices and moderate crowds. Crowd ranking=7. Week ranking=20. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

3/9/2012 Peak spring break week other than the weeks before and after Easter. High prices and very high crowds. Crowd ranking=11. Week ranking=42. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

3/16/2013 Prices and crowds remain high. Crowd ranking=10. Week ranking=40. Use the Autumn-Winter-Spring Itinerary

3/23/2013 Prices and crowds very high all week because of Easter breaks. Crowd ranking=11.  Week ranking=44. Use the Summer Itinerary (not a typo :) ) but see this for actual and possible changes

3/30/2013 Prices and crowds high all week because of Easter breaks. Crowd ranking=11.  Week ranking=43. Use the  Summer Itinerary (not a typo :) ) but see this for possible changes

MORE ON WHEN TO GO TO WALT DISNEY WORLD

1 Kristin { 08.26.12 at 2:17 pm }

Hello,
I am debating on booking our Disney trip either late Feb or mid to late April… which would you recommend? We want to avoid high crowds. I am leary about late Feb as it seems like prices would start to rise and weather is iffy… and we are a beach/pool family. Mid to late April after Easter breaks might be nice for us. Do prices really fall the week of April 6th??

2 Dave { 08.26.12 at 5:28 pm }

Hi Kristin, I like some April weeks more and some less than late Feb. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/19/2013-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

And yes, prices go down in early April, on April 7–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/04/walt-disney-world-2013-price-seasons/

3 Luke { 11.11.12 at 11:25 pm }

I see that the March 2nd week you have crowd ranking at 7. Is this because you project it busy on Friday/Saturday because of start of some spring break? We’ve been debating this week, the week before, orvApril 6th week but we want “smallish” crowds

4 Dave { 11.12.12 at 7:08 am }

Hi Luke, great question. On the facts I use to rate weeks, the week of March 2 actually looks pretty good. However, with similar facts, it was pretty rough in 2012. So I’ve bumped the crowd rating up to 7. My “7″ may be too high, or it may be right. The week before it is much less volatile and likely to be low-crowd, and the week of April 6, after a day or too cleaning out the last of the Easter crowds, will be fine too…Of the three I like the week of March 2nd least and the week of Feb 23 most…see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/19/2013-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

5 Luke { 11.12.12 at 2:01 pm }

Thanks Dave! We will see if we can make the last week in Feb work! Appreciate your website and your QUICK help!

6 Dave { 11.12.12 at 2:40 pm }

Great, Luke!

7 Danielle { 01.07.13 at 5:05 pm }

Hi Dave!

Love the website! We are leaving Wednesday March 6th to WDW and leaving March 13th. Do you recommend on following the spring Int…by starting out on Day 1 or should I jump to Wednesday? Hope this makes sense! I found this website very helpful!

Danielle

8 Dave { 01.07.13 at 6:15 pm }

Hi Danielle, and thanks!!

I know just what you mean. Jump to Wednesday–”Wednesday” means “Wednesday,” not “day 4.” It works this way because the parks have weekly patterns they follow which are integrated into the itineraries…

9 Danielle { 01.08.13 at 9:36 am }

Thanks Dave!

My daughter is turning 7 on March 7th, while we are at Disney. Any suggestions or specials that DW does for kids birthday’s?

Thank you!

10 Dave { 01.08.13 at 12:52 pm }
11 Veronica { 01.25.13 at 2:38 pm }

Booked Grand Floridian for March 1st! Hoping for good weather and not too heavy crowds. I am happy with my choice and will let everyone know how it goes.
Heard good and bad things about the hotel but I’m sure it will be fine.

Hope it doesn’t rain! What do you think on the weather??

12 Dave { 01.26.13 at 8:08 am }

Veronica, early March temps are still pretty variable. It is during the dry season, though…see http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/average-rainfall-by-arrival-date/

13 Vernon { 02.01.13 at 6:29 pm }

Dave. I am also visiting in March, 14-20th. Will this be crowded also. Im from Pa and or sprint break starts the 23rd. Totally forgot about the rest of the world. Also I have a basic 4 day ticket. Is that good for 2 adults and 2 kids 5-11.

14 Dave { 02.02.13 at 7:28 am }

Vernon, yes I do expect that to be a pretty crowded week…

15 Vernon { 02.02.13 at 10:15 am }

Dave..thanks so much.. for responing.. really appreciate it. Since its crowded thinking about strategy(smile). I dont have a park hopper, planned on getting there mid afternoon and going shopping or downtown disney (no parks).Then hitting the parks early the next day for four days, since I have 4 day tickets from friday to Monday. 1 day left may do universail 1 day on tuesday and leave wedneday. Does this sound doable or should i invest in park hopper. Was told the each park is pretty big and will be tired with just park a day??

16 Dave { 02.02.13 at 5:42 pm }

Vernon, this is do-able. The key is to arrive at the turnstiles in the parks in the morning well before they open, see the rides that build lines most quickly first, and then use fastpasses. By sometime in the early afternoon it’ll be too crowded for you to continue–so go back to your hotel, take a nap or play by the pool, and then return for the evening shows.

You’ll want at least two days at Magic Kingdom, and each of the other parks is worth a full day as well…See some of my sample itineraries like this one for ideas on how to work the parks: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/12/06/summer-itinerary-for-walt-disney-world-v2/

17 Katye { 02.03.13 at 4:30 pm }

Hello, my husband and I along with 3 children and my mother in law are visiting March3-7. I’m taking my kids out of school a week before our spring break in hopes of lower crowds. We visited in 2011 and stayed Febuary 28-march 5 and we never waited longer then 20 mins for a ride. We stayed at coranado resort last time this time were staying at the art of anamation. My questions are will we be disappointed in the resort since its a value? Will crowds be worse this year? Also is there any must sees for us, and are certain days better then others to visit different parks? Thanks for answering I know it’s a lot!

18 Dave { 02.04.13 at 10:55 am }

Hi Katye! Are you staying in a Little Mermaid room or a family suite? If the latter, you’ll like it compared to CS; the former is much smaller than your CS room–though more fun.

I have that week ranked as moderate crowds, and your 2011 week as low crowds, so it will be more crowded than your prior trip.

For must see, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/

The key to picking parks is to avoid days they have Extra Magic Hours, and especially to avoid morning extra magic hours days!

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

19 Katye { 02.04.13 at 1:53 pm }

We’re staying In a Cars family suite, I have all boys :)
Why the jump in crowds from 2011 to 2013?

20 Dave { 02.05.13 at 8:17 am }

Katye, Easter in 2011 was very late. In 2013 it’s more of a typical date, which compresses snowbird visits into earlier March…

21 Veronica { 02.05.13 at 2:07 pm }

Hi Katye!

When you stayed last year Feb 28 – March 5, how was the weather? I never been before and I am wonder how the comfort is due to Orlando humidity. I will be in Orlando Feb 28 – March 3rd.

22 Katye { 02.07.13 at 7:42 am }

It was great! Highs were in the upper 70s and at night it got chilly in the 50s, I will say if your kids have allergies make sure and keep them on there allergy meds. Allergies are bad in Florida. At night we would change into jeans and sweatshirts and were fine during the day we wore shorts and tee shirts, weather was amazing!

23 Tracey { 02.07.13 at 10:11 pm }

We’re finally going on our very first BIG family trip! Our boys are 11 and 7 years old. We want to see as much as we can in 7-10 days, but we don’t know how to split our time. With our boys being a little older, they still want to see Disney, but are really looking forward to seeing the attractions at Universal as well. How should we divide our time and where should we plan to stay? Thanks so much for any advice!!!

24 Dave { 02.08.13 at 7:10 am }

Hi Tracey! I’d think 7 park days will cover you. 2 at MK, one at each of the other three WDW parks, and 2 at Universal. Universal has wildly good perks for guests at its hotels–see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/12/17/where-to-stay-during-your-visit-to-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ So I’d suggest a split stay, part at WDW and part at Universal…

25 Tracey { 02.08.13 at 5:42 pm }

Thanks so much for your quick response! I will take your advice and run with it! I see from that Universal link you sent that you recommend the Pacific Resort…looks great…now, can I please ask which Disney resort you recommend for our first family visit ??? I don’t want a value resort and yet, I don’t want to take out a second mortgage either!!! Thanks so much. I just adore your site. Congratulations.

26 Dave { 02.09.13 at 2:02 pm }

Thanks, Tracey! My Disney hotel recommendations, by price class and in order, are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/next-best-resort-choices/

27 morgan { 02.20.13 at 5:53 pm }

Hello Dave, going on my first trip to Florida. First real vacation actually. I plan on 3 days at universal and 6-7 days at disneyworld. I will be staying with friends for the mostpart to save money. I’m driving there on March 3rd. My daughter is coming with me, she just turned 18. Looking for some good bonding time. I thought maybe I could save money packing food and drinks. Do you have any tips I can use to save a few bucks without sacrificing a good time. My bday is the 11th of March. I also considered staying one day at either a universal or Disneyland resort for that day.

Thanks dave

28 Dave { 02.21.13 at 8:13 am }

Hi Morgan, bringing in some sandwiches, snacks, and bottled water is a great way to save some money. You may also be able to save 5% or so on tickets–see this: http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disney-world-vacation-discounts-and-deals/disney-world-ticket-pass-discounts/

If you do stay a night at Disney on your birthday, you may be able to get a price break on that, too–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/01/03/new-walt-disney-world-discount-mid-february-through-mid-june-2013/

Hope this helps!!

29 Dave { 02.25.13 at 10:06 am }

Hey Dave! My wife, two kids (4 & 7) and I are looking to take a short notice WDW trip with our recent tax return – I am Active Duty Air Force and have already looked in to the Shades of Green Resort for the week of March 11th-15th but came up empty handed. We want our daughter to miss as little school as possible so only are looking at spending 4 days (12th-15th) at parks and then visiting family in Boca Raton. Any suggestions to make this work and maximize the experience? Thanks!

30 Dave { 02.25.13 at 10:44 am }

Hi Dave!

Well, frankly, that’s a horrible week, especially if you can’t stay in an on-site hotel. I have only 4 weeks this year ranked as “11″ on my crowd calendar, and that’s not one of them. The only way to work it is to show up at the turnstiles well before the park is scheduled to open, see rides that build crowds quickly first, and use FASTPASSES until they run out or their return times become too late. Then head back to your hotel and take the later afternoon off, returning in the evening for the evening shows…

I’m assuming you know about the Military Salute tickets??

But really I’d just go another time…sorry that that’s not much help…

31 David { 02.25.13 at 12:20 pm }

The week we chose is our wedding anniversary week – word’s still out on whether that’s flexible with the wife…I checked out the calendar of best/worst weeks and it looks like April 8th – 12th might be the better option – especially because cost isn’t a huge factor with the Military Salute tickets (4-day park hopper with EMH for $156 each? Say What?) and Shades of Green has an opening. After reading some of the other help you’ve given to the above, I’m brainstorming a possible itinerary – This is our first trip so please let me know what you think and might change/add/swap:

Mon: Travel day = Hotel check-in/poolside lounging and ???
Tues: MK by 0800 & Chef Mickey at 1030 then ???
Wed: more MK since its that big…
Thurs: Tentative AK – kids 4 & 7 – tall for their age 43″ and 51″ respectively
Fri: HS? out of town by 7 pm to Boca Raton before 11 pm

32 Dave { 02.25.13 at 12:34 pm }

David, this looks great!

33 Inka { 05.24.13 at 9:59 am }

Hi Dave, we’re from Finland/Northern Europe and planning an late February/early March visit. I know you said the weather is varialbe, but do you think that for us who come from a country where February and early March are the coldest months (very low humidity in general throughout the year, average daily temperature around 14 to 5F in Feb/early March, can get even to -4F, and summer is around 78 to 82F), first week of March might still be decently warm for us? (To give you an idea, we start wearing tshirts and sandalles on around 60F and husband swims in 60 or less F water.) Thanks.

34 Dave { 05.24.13 at 10:47 am }

Hi Inka! Given the variability, it could be 32F or 80F. See this for a tighter distribution of possibilities: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/high-temperatures-year-round/