Christmas 2013 at Walt Disney World
By Dave Shute
OVERVIEW: CHRISTMAS 2013 AT DISNEY WORLD
Decorations, special Christmas shows, programs, and events, and Christmas trees are everywhere, making Disney World as special a place to celebrate the holidays as you can find.
THE CHRISTMAS SEASON AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
December crowds at Walt Disney World begin at lower levels. They will begin to build on 12/19, and by 12/22 will hit their highest levels of the year, where they will stay until about January 4, 2014
Walt Disney World resort hotel December prices at the beginning of the month are at one of the lowest levels of the year. On 12/13 they go up a lot, and on December 20, 2013, they increase 50-90% to their highest levels of the year.
December weather is cooler and variable. While the average daily high is 73, this masks tremendous variability.
CHRISTMAS CELEBRATIONS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Each of the parks has wonderful Christmas decorations, and special Christmas events, most of which begin in early November or right around Thanksgiving.
- At the Magic Kingdom, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party—a special event that requires its own ticket—runs on many nights through the first two-thirds of the month. Later in the month, its signature events—a special Christmas parade, and special Christmas fireworks—are available to all guests. Christmas decor is in place by the night of the first party–in 2013, November 8
- At Epcot, the evening fireworks show Illuminations has special Christmas additions. In addition, most nights Christmas carols are sung by massed choirs in the Candlelight Processional. Many of the countries in Epcot’s World Showcase have special Christmas events as part of Epcot’s Holidays Around the World program. Epcot’s special events usually begin the Friday after Thanksgiving
- At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the Christmas celebration is the Osborne holiday lights in the Streets of America area. The evening opening ceremony is 6p. These typically begin in early November
- At Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the 3.45p parade is redone to a Christmas theme
NEW YEAR’S EVE 2013/2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
New Year’s Eve festivities will happen on December 31, 2013 at Disney World’s Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios theme parks, and also at the Magic Kingdom on December 30.
The Animal Kingdom has no special events.
Here’s what’s known now (hours will be extended later):
- Epcot is scheduled to be open until 1a on New Year’s Eve; Disney’s Hollywood Studios until midnight for the general public, and 2a for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests; and the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight (this likely will be extended later to 2a)
- The Magic Kingdom has Wishes at 9p and special New Year’s Eve fireworks at 11.50p
- Epcot has its Illuminations fireworks show at 6.30p and 11.40p, plus DJs in various pavilions.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios will likely have fireworks at midnight, and several sets over the evening from “Mulch, Sweat and Shears,” a live band
- Note that alcohol is not available at the Magic Kingdom, but is available at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios
The Magic Kingdom will have the same fireworks at the same times on 12/30. This date will likely be a little less crowded than 12/31.
Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook!