By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2017, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here. PDF version available on Gumroad here.

My Favorite Walt Disney World Resort Hotel

(This is an entry in a series on personal favorites)

FAVORITE DISNEY WORLD HOTELS

Welcome to those coming from Capturing Magical Memories!  Enjoy the ride as this month Magical Blogorail Teal discusses our favorite Walt Disney World resorts!

PERSONAL FAVORITES DIFFERENT THAN RECOMMENDED RESORTS

One of the earliest notes about this site elsewhere on the internet was from an appalled blogger.

In the summer of 2008 she wrote (I can’t find the link, but hey, I didn’t try very hard!) that she was stunned by what to her seemed the lack of logic in my notes on rides that might be skipped.

What made her head explode was that I noted that some rides that could be skipped by first time family visitors, like Carousel of Progress, were also among my personal favorites.

Well, I have no trouble holding two contradictory ideas in my mind at the same time!

The recommendations on this site come from principles, not personal taste, with the principles chosen to apply to as many first time visitors as possible. They are based on a combination of facts, analysis, inference and judgment about what would be best for such families.

My personal taste can lead to very different conclusions.

This is particularly clear when it comes to the Disney World resort hotels.

I recommend hotels for first-time visitors who may never return (among price classes) based first on their kid appeal, and then (as a tie-breaker) on their convenience in carrying out this site’s itineraries.

My personal favorites are very different than the resulting recommendations.  The list below has, by price class, my top-ranked resort for first-time family visitors as well as my personal favorite.  In only one case are they the same!

TOP RANKED AND FAVORITE DISNEY WORLD RESORTS

Value Resorts

Standard 4-person rooms:

Six-person “Family Suites”

Moderate Resorts

Deluxe Resorts

Disney Vacation Club Resorts

MY ABSOLUTE PERSONAL FAVORITE RESORT HOTEL AMONG ALL THESE FAVORITES

So ignoring price, which among these personal favorites do I like the best?  Well, that’s easy. It’s  Old Key West.

The reason is simple: one and two bedroom villas at Old Key West are by far the most livable spaces at Walt Disney World.

They are so large and homelike that they provide a wonderful respite for the family.

The living  dining, kitchen  and balcony spaces at Old Key West are so much larger and more home-like than the other Disney Vacation Club Resorts that it’s almost like Old Key West villas should be a separate resort class.

And they are the same price, or cheaper, than the other DVC villas as well!

There are some real issues with Old Key West. Dining is weak and limited, and the resort is so spread out that I wouldn’t even consider staying there without a rental car.

But for us, it’s our favorite. We stayed there just last week, and found plenty of room for a Christmas tree!

MORE FAVORITE DISNEY RESORTS MAGICAL BLOGORAIL TEAL

Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Jenn’s Disney Babies Blog.

Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Teal loop should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:

1 DisneyBabies Jenn { 12.17.12 at 8:19 am }

You really are quite a contradiction in terms! I would never recommend CBR to anyone – had a terrible stay there in 2010, but I know so many that love it… We’re staying at OKW in a 2 bedroom in February. It will be amazing after my parents leave and 4 of us (including a 3 year old and 10 month old) are splitting all that room!

2 Capturing Magical Memories - Mary { 12.17.12 at 8:38 am }

Like you the resorts I prefer and then recommend are different. This year I have become a HUGE fan of All Star Sports.

3 Beth D. { 12.17.12 at 10:32 am }

I haven’t stayed at Old Key West but I have floated past it on the boats from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney. It looks so quaint and relaxing. I think we need to plan a stay there one of these visits!

4 Heidi { 12.17.12 at 10:38 am }

OKW is one that we’ve never even stopped to visit. We’ll have to take a closer look next time we’re in the area.

5 Dave { 12.17.12 at 4:44 pm }

Jenn, ranking the moderates is the second toughest thing I’ve done on this site! I do think CB, wiht its colors, beaches, Nemo or Pirate theming in all its rooms, etc., has a tad more kid appeal and that’s what puts it ahead of the rest…

6 Dave { 12.17.12 at 4:45 pm }

So you cause brains to explode as well!

7 Dave { 12.17.12 at 4:45 pm }

Check it out Beth! If you rent points, it can be surprisingly affordable…

8 Jennifer { 12.18.12 at 8:40 am }

Okay, I’m curious. Why Port Orleans French Quarter and not Riverside? We stayed at POR this past spring and just fell in love with it, and it seemed a bit more well-appointed than POFQ.

BTW, although you’d recommended CBR and I’d made reservations there for us for next year, I decided to switch back to POR after reading more about the bus issue (my kiddo has the patience of a gnat), and a surprising number of complaints about the rooms themselves. Plus, we really loved having access to Downtown via the ferry, and being able to go exploring in the SeaRays.

9 Dave { 12.18.12 at 6:25 pm }

Hi Jennifer! The reasons why it’s my personal favorite are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/10/25/personal-favorites-the-moderate-resorts/ But tons of people have POR as their personal favorite, so you aren’t alone in your skepticism!

10 Jennifer { 12.19.12 at 9:07 am }

Your reasons made VERY good sense! Then again, your advice always does!!! Thanks again for this fabulous site!!!

11 Dave { 12.19.12 at 10:34 am }