Disney World Crowds in 2014

2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Disney World Crowds in 2014 from yourfirstvisit.netIn the image you’ll find my projections for Walt Disney World 2014 weekly crowds.

By “crowds” I really mean wait times–not the number of people in the park, but not in line for a ride!

Dates in it are the beginning of the week, and the wait time forecast covers the following 9 days.

(For 2015 crowds, click here, and for 2016 crowds, here.)

Crowd levels are ranked by week from 1-11 in the following way:

yourfirstvisit.net's Disney World 2014 Crowd Calendar v21: Lowest of the year

2: Lower

3: Low

4: Low-plus

5: Moderate-minus

6: Moderate

7: Moderate-plus

8: High-minus

9: High

10: Higher

11: Highest

HOW TO INTERPRET THE 2014 DISNEY WORLD CROWD CALENDAR

Dates are the beginning of the week.

The “low crowd” weeks–those colored green, and rated 1-4–represent the only crowd levels a family visiting for the first time, and unsure if it will ever return, should consider.

However, lower crowds, especially lowest crowds, do not always mean a better week. The lowest weeks are low for a reason–typically because they are in the hurricane or the ride closure seasons.

The “moderate crowd” weeks–those in black and rated 5-7–have crowd levels I would not recommend to first time visitors. However, I’d go during such weeks myself with no hesitation, and think these levels are OK for returning visitors who don’t need to see everything and already know how to work Walt Disney World.

The “high crowd” weeks–those in red, rated 8-11–should be avoided by everyone. They aren’t, which is why they are so high.

MY DISNEY WORLD CROWD CALENDAR GOES UP TO “11”

The influence of the Unofficial Guide  and TouringPlans.com has led almost all Disney World crowd calendars to top out at 10.

However, I’ve always thought that the really nastiest weeks of the year deserved an 11 for emphasis.

So, in homage to Spinal Tap, I assigned 11 to “highest.”

MORE ON WHEN TO GO TO WALT DISNEY WORLD

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Gretchen { 12.05.12 at 9:00 am }

I’m curious as to why you think the end of March and first of April will have low crowds. Even with Easter so late, I would think those weeks would still be moderate to high with spring break crowds. But you know better than I do…. (:

2 Dave { 12.05.12 at 10:43 am }

Oh Gretchen, I don’t know if I know better or not! Time, as they say, will tell…But what I expect to see is the same patterning as in 2011, which also had a late Easter. See this for the logic: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/07/13/spring-break-2011-at-walt-disney-world/

3 Thomas Madden { 12.26.12 at 10:57 am }

4 Dave { 12.26.12 at 11:30 am }

Hi Thomas, I won’t have a final version of my 2014 crowd calendar out until the summer (as not enough schools districts will have their 2013-14 academic calendars out til then.)

But right now I’m seeing that as a pretty good week! I don’t expect the major spring break crowd sin 2014 to show up until the week of March 8th.

PS Thanks for liking the site on FB! I’ll post a link there to this response here…

5 michelle { 12.28.12 at 12:21 pm }

hi dave! i appreciate all of your information. as a fl resident i try to avoid crowds and weather. i determined by accident that post-spring break, and post-thanksgiving/pre-christmas are best for those prerequisites. then i found your awesome website that confirms my accidental findings. at any rate, looking towards 2014, i was puzzled to find april 5 as one of the good weeks as that is generally the last week of spring break. is spring break running differently due to the odd timing of easter? thanks for your help!

6 Dave { 12.28.12 at 3:07 pm }

Hi Michelle and thanks!!

Spring break is the hardest time to forecast at WDW, and I won’t have my “final” answer til the summer, when enough school 2013-2014 calendars are out.

But yes, that’s exactly it–the late Easter will create a “hole” in spring break calendars, since the majority of kids still have either the week before or the week after Easter off. 2011 had a similarly late Easter—see this for how the school calendars that year panned out: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/07/13/spring-break-2011-at-walt-disney-world/

7 Tina { 01.04.13 at 1:05 am }

Dave: We are planning on coming to celebrate our Granddaughters 5th birthday which in on April 24th 2014. When would you suggest would be the best week to come. We wanted to be there on her birthday but see that it is a high crowd week, but would really like to eat at the Cinderellas castle on her bday. Any sugestions? Really enjoy your site, it has helped me out many times planning our vacations.

8 Dave { 01.04.13 at 7:44 am }

Hi Tina! I’d aim to arrive April 26 2014. You may have a day of leftover Easter crowds, but the rest of that week will be great! And thanks for the kind words about the site!

9 Joe { 01.15.13 at 10:56 pm }

How confident do you feel about your 2014 numbers? We are looking for a sweet spot in the spring break March to May area. What are the ratings based on besides comparing to the late Easter of 2011? I am concerned that 5/3 might get a little warm for our liking so we are thinking about the late March and early April weeks that still carry a favorable rating.

thanks for your feedback. Great site.

10 Dave { 01.16.13 at 11:44 am }

Hi Joe, I will revise the draft 2014 forecasts once I have the full set of 2013-14 school year calendars, which typically is out by later June. So if you can wait until then to set your dates, that’s what I’d advise!

11 Jennifer M { 02.25.13 at 10:24 am }

Hi Dave! We have almost decided on a week to take the kids to the World. Unfortunately, it may land on a very busy week. If our kids get a break from school between Feb 17-21, we will probably go. I’ve looked at your chart for 2014, and it looks very busy. Do you have any tips on avoiding the crowd? Specific days to miss specific parks? We would be there from Feb 14-23, 2014. Staying at either Carribean, or Port Orleans. We are also thinking about going to Universal, and possibly Sea World, so maybe the days you figure the park will be busiest we could go elsewhere on those days. A little help would be great.

12 Dave { 02.25.13 at 10:55 am }

Jennifer, President’s Day week is wildly busy at all the Orlando venues. Last week, wait times at some rides exceeded 3 hours. While some parks will be a little better on certain days than others–and I can help with that once the operating schedules come out 6 months before–they will all be horrible all of your dates.

If I were you I would go another time…

13 Jennifer M { 02.25.13 at 11:22 am }

Thanks Dave! I would rather go the last full week of Feb or the first full week of Mar. But my hubby does not want to take the kids out of school. So, hopefully the kids break does not end up being that week, or it could be a week in march. I guess we will just have to deal with the crowds.

14 Dave { 02.25.13 at 12:32 pm }

Jennifer, this is largely a husband management issue–a skillet to the forehead is often recommended in such circumstances…unless your kids are in high school AP classes. Or you could mention to him that my parents took me out of high school all the time for family trips including a week at Disney World every year, but even so the University of Chicago still selected me as a potential Rhodes Scholar candidate…of course I didn’t get very far in the process, so maybe that just proves his point…

Failing that, the best time to go if you won’t take the kids out of school is either the beginning of June or the end of August–whichever best fits your academic calendar!

15 Jennifer M { 02.25.13 at 2:53 pm }

HAHA Dave! My kids are in elementary school, will be gr 3 and gr 1 at the time of travel. I sometimes would love to use the skillet to the forhead. I also told him that I got to take a week off school when I was a kid to go to Disneyland, but he wouldn’t budge. So, I guess we will fight the crowds. Thanks for your help. I will probably have more questions later on once we decide on the exact week and book the hotel.

16 Dave { 02.25.13 at 6:23 pm }

OK Jennifer, keep the questions, or the skillets, coming…

17 Jennifer M { 02.28.13 at 9:40 pm }

Hi Dave! We have found out the dates the kids get off school. It will be mar 3-7. So I hope we can travel feb 28-mar 9. Probably staying at ASMu. Do you have any tips or is it too early?

18 Dave { 03.01.13 at 6:59 am }

Heyo Jennifer. I won’t have much useful to say about those dates until Disney releases its operating calendars for then, which it will do about 6 months befroe…

19 Thomas Madden { 03.03.13 at 4:26 pm }

we are looking to get out of New Orleans for Mardi Gras in 2014 on your crowd calender it has March 1st as a rating of 3. Would Saturday March 1st be the day that week would start or end? I hope start. Thanks

20 Dave { 03.04.13 at 8:59 am }

Hi Thomas, a couple of things.

First the crowd calendar is “week beginning,” so your interpretation is right!

Second, however, the 2014 crowd called is a draft. I’ll update it this summer after the public school holiday calendars for academic year 2013-14 are out. So if more kids have Mardi Gras week off than usual–whihc I don’t expect, but seeing the unexpected is why I revise the calendars–the crowd rating may get worse…

21 Angela { 03.06.13 at 10:03 am }

Hello! I’m planning on arriving just after New Year, 2nd of january, 2014… It’s not my first visit, should we expect less crowds on the 2nd and 3rd or just as much as late december??? Thank you!!! Great website!!! What dates would you recomend between that first wk of january, and these other options: first 2 wks of june 2013, or last and first wk of August 2013. ???

22 Angela { 03.06.13 at 10:10 am }

Hello! My last question actually is: which dates do you recomend best between: a) First wk of january 2014, starting on the 2nd, b) first 2 wks of june 2013, or c) last wk of july and first of august 2013??? Thank You!!! Can you give me feedback on both inquiries, thank you…

23 Dave { 03.06.13 at 11:28 am }

Hi Angela, you’ll see massive massive crowds through January 4th. They will reduce a lot the 5th, and be quite l;ow the 6th and following.

Of your explicit options, by far the best date is the last week of August. Crowds and prices are low, and the only issue you’ll face is the peak of the hurricane season, whihc is not a big issue for returning visitors.

Next best is the first week of June, then the second week of June–both crowded, but not as much as early August. If you can move your Jan dates to a later arrival (the 4th or 5th or later) I’d see that as a great option too…you’d be trading off cold weather and ride closures for (in the last week of August) hot weather and the slight risk of hurricanes. For more on the hurricane season, see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/chance-of-cyclonic-storm-affecting-florida/ and more on January ride closures, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/12/winter-ride-closures-at-walt-disney-world/

Hope this helps!!

24 Dave { 03.06.13 at 11:29 am }

OK Angela, among these options, I’d go with the January arrival date. As noted, the first couple days will be miserable, but overall-assuming you are staying well into the next week–it’s the best.

25 Paul { 03.06.13 at 5:36 pm }

Planning our 4th family trip to DisneyWorld in the 4th Quarter of 2014. We go every 3 years and stay a week – visting all of the Disney parks. Our previous trips have always been the 2nd week of November. We pull the kids out of school in order to take advantage of the lower crowds. Although I will say that during our last trip in 2011 we hit more crowds than we would have liked. I think the Jersey week folks stayed longer than expected.

Regarding 2014, my children really want to go to one of the water parks and have been pushing for an earlier trip date to take advantage of the warmer weather. As a result we are looking at the week of 10/18. My question is: I see according to your chart that our ‘regular’ week, 11/8, has lower forecasted crowrds – is there a big difference between the two (10/18 and 11/8)?

Knowing that the week of 11/1 is Jersey week I don’t want to run into the same issue from our last vist when it seemed Jersey folks stayed an extra week. Any data that indicates a hold over of crowds from a previous week that is projected to be heavy. Your chart indocates that both 10/11 qand 11/1 are heavier weeks.

Any thoughts?

26 Dave { 03.07.13 at 8:20 am }

Hey Paul, for experienced visitors who know how to work the parks, there’s not really a material difference between the crowd levels of 2 and 3 in your proposed 2014 weeks–so I’d go with the October one. Just on the math, the temperature differences are strong: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/high-temperatures-year-round/

These months of the year, it makes an enormous difference which day you go to which park, partiuclarly at MK. I’m wondering if you ran into that a bit in 2011? See the second half of this for some guidance http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/

27 Anonymous { 03.07.13 at 12:20 pm }

28 Dave { 03.07.13 at 12:50 pm }

Ummm…I don’t know how to respond because I don’t know who you are, and thus what your alternate dates are…

29 Angela { 03.07.13 at 6:38 pm }

Oops! Sorry, I didn’t typed my name… I wrote you yesterday, Angela. About different dates options. So, Dave, thank you very much… I see I have another alternative, which is from dec 15th to dec 20th. I see that even hotel rates are less expensive! What’s your feedback on these dates? I have another question: is there something special to do or to look for if one of my daughter’s birthday is on a day we visit any disney park?

30 Dave { 03.08.13 at 8:09 am }

Angela, that’s a great week in general, and I recommend it above all the rest of your options. See this, where it is week #3: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/19/2013-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

However, that is a very expensive week in 2013, with Disney applying peak seaosn prices that week beginning 12/13–see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/04/walt-disney-world-2013-price-seasons/

31 Angela { 03.08.13 at 8:32 am }

Dave, thank you very much!!!! Great site and very helpfull! About the birthday?? Any special thing I can do to celebrate it there??

32 Angela { 03.08.13 at 8:34 am }

Thank you!!! I already read your other post regarding the birthday question!!

33 Brooke { 03.22.13 at 12:52 pm }

Hi Dave…I read a post above to Angela in regards to an early January arrival date. I have a similar question, but actually have two time frames I wanted to ask about. Based on the best timing for our family, we are looking at either January 4th through January 10th or February 9th through 14th. For the January dates, we would plan to check in the afternoon of Saturday the 4th, but wouldn’t likely do our first park until Sunday the 5th. Then we’d do parks the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th, and check out Friday morning the 10th. For the February dates we would check in Sunday the 9th in the afternoon and do parks the 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th. I know that the beginning of the January week might still be busy from the holidays (but I believe I read your post saying it becomes much less busy by the 5th) and the end of the week might be busy because of the marathon (9-12). However, I am hoping that since our last day in the parks would be the 9th, and that is just the beginning of marathon weekend, we might not see a huge increase in crowds. For the February dates, it seems that the beginning of the week would be great, but the crowds would start to increase around the 13th due to President’s Day weekend coming up. Basically, I would like to know if you think the January end of Christmas/New Year’s & marathon crowds or the end of week President’s Day crowds would impact our vacation more? We have younger kids, so some of the ride closures may not be a huge issue for us, plus we hope to return when they are older. We also prefer cooler weather so January temps being lower wouldn’t bother us at all. We are driving so we have to take into account travel time, and therefore the January arrival would allow us to have a bit more relaxing time getting down to Orlando since we will already be on Christmas break. It will also allow us a full day in the parks our last day vs. a half day on our last day in February. Sorry for such detailed information, but I value your opinion and just want to make sure we are making the best choice. So when you have a chance, weigh in and let me know…January 4th-10th or February 9th-14th. Thanks so much for your time Dave!

34 Dave { 03.22.13 at 1:20 pm }

Hi Brooke! Since ride closures aren’t an issue, I’d vote pretty sharply for the January dates, for all the reasons you noted, plus one more–the Christmas decorations won’t be fully down then!

35 Brooke { 03.22.13 at 2:04 pm }

Sorry, one more thing…would you assume prices for both weeks would be about the same? Cost will also of course factor into our decision if one week would be cheaper than the other. It looked to me (based on info on mousesavers.com) that both stretches would be in value pricing, as long as we check out before marathon pricing and President’s Day weekend pricing. Thanks!

36 Dave { 03.23.13 at 2:19 pm }

Brooke, 2014 prices will come out sometime between now and the end of August. But in the meantime, based upon past patterns, yes, the price will be the same….

37 Jessica { 04.02.13 at 2:43 pm }

I would first like to say your site is very helpful. We are planing another trip to Disney in 2014 and originally considering the week of March 23 because we went that week in 2012 the weather was nice and it wasn’t too crowded. Now I’m thinking it seems like a bad choice. I’m looking at the weeks of May 3 and May 10. I guess I don’t have a question I just want to say thanks forthright info.

38 Dave { 04.02.13 at 3:31 pm }

Jessica, that was a great week in 2012 because of the timing of Easter…which is way different in 2014!

39 Anna { 04.04.13 at 9:02 pm }

Planning a trip in spring 2014 for my daughter’s 4th birthday. Do you still get in free on your birthday? Any other birthday perks? Thanks!

40 Katie { 04.04.13 at 11:11 pm }

We are looking at a Disney Vacation for January 2014. I believe it will be the end of the month. I have seen that time will have ride closures. My question is how many ride closures are typical and will it really effect the trip. Have you visited Disney at this time? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

41 Dave { 04.05.13 at 6:52 am }

Hi Anna! The “free on your birthday” deal has been gone for years, but there are some other (minor) perks–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/02/01/is-walt-disney-world-free-on-your-birthday/

42 Dave { 04.05.13 at 6:57 am }

Hi Katie, yes, I’ve been in January a bunch of times. If this will be your only trip ever, I’d avoid it because of the ride closures (for the details on them, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/12/winter-ride-closures-at-walt-disney-world/ ) If you’ll be returning, then late January is a great time to go! Crowds and prices are lower then….

On your last point, this site has 1500 pages of tips and suggestions! Start with the home page and work your way through its topics: http://yourfirstvisit.net/

43 Leslie H. { 04.05.13 at 9:25 am }

My niece is getting married at Disney World on June 20, 2014. We would like to get there on Monday since I will have my grandson with me who is 3 1/2 and also the ringbarer. How busy is that time of the year ecspecially with having a 31/2 year old with me?

44 Dave { 04.05.13 at 10:07 am }

Hi Leslie, as you can see, that week is ranked 9/high crowds.

45 Sharon { 04.18.13 at 8:34 pm }

Hi! The kids are off from school from October 12th through the 20th, 2013, and we are hoping to go to Disney World! I would like to keep them from missing as much school as possible, but don’t have a problem keeping them out a day or two at the beginning or end of the break if we need to. We are hoping to stay 7-8 nights. What days do you recommend being at Disney? We will schedule the 1-2 day drive accordingly. Thank you!

46 Dave { 04.19.13 at 7:43 am }

Hi Sharon, how old are the kids?

October is generally a great month, but the same week your kids are off lots of other kids are as well, so your dates, while not bad, are the worst in the month. I’d try to arrive the evening of the 14th (Columbus Day) or later. See this for more on the month: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/03/19/october-2013-at-walt-disney-world/

(PS edited your comment to make at 2013!)

47 Sharon { 04.19.13 at 11:09 am }

Thanks Dave! They will be 12, 8, 4, and 10 months. Vacation planning was easier when we homeschooled, but my two oldest are in school now.

48 Jim Castner { 04.21.13 at 10:00 pm }

For the first time ever, I took my wife and two boys (6&9) to Disney World last year for the week of April 22-29 2012. It was great with minimal crowds. We decided to take a year off (2013) and go again in 2014. Well, the kids are off the week before Easter, so we are going 4/12/2014-4-19/2014. We already have a time share booked and are preparing the airfare purchase in the coming weeks. It appears that I am in for a very different experience. I don’t believe I can change the timeshare, however, is it going to be that horrible? I would hate to spend thousands of dollars to feel like a sardine. Is your projections final, or you are very confident that I will not see the clam crowds of 2012 in 2014?
Many thanks,
Jim

49 Dave { 04.22.13 at 8:23 am }

Hey Jim–while my projections aren’t final, I know for sure that the week befroe Easter will be, as it always is, tremendously horrible and one of the three worst weeks of the year.

If you can, change your week. If you can’t change, you can make it work, since you’ve been before, know the ropes, and won’t need to see everything, by avoiding parks with morning EMH, arriving well before the parks open, and expecting to not be in the parks in the afternoons…

50 Debs { 04.26.13 at 11:22 am }

Hi Dave. Debate is raging on Tripadvisor as to whether the first 2 weeks in April will be much busier than predicted! I have to decide between these 2 weeks, last 2 in May (showing as very busy) and last 2 in August, any advice? Thanks

51 Dave { 04.26.13 at 1:24 pm }

Hi Debs, do you mean for a two-week visit, or any one of the two weeks in your three windows?

People grossly underestimate, until they’ve done the work, the effect of Easter on April crowds. With the late Easter in 2014, April crowds will be just fine til the 12th.

The next best choice would be the end of August, if you don’t mind the hurricane risk (see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/chance-of-cyclonic-storm-affecting-florida/ )

The May dates would then come last…

52 Debs { 04.26.13 at 2:45 pm }

Hi Dave, we’re looking at 2 weeks, so think we’ll stick with start of April, we may even be able to travel 27th/28th March, it just means pinching a bit more time off school for the kids (UK school hols start w/c 7th April). Thanks for this info.

53 gz { 04.27.13 at 12:09 pm }

Thanks for the unbelievable site.

I am planning a spring 2014 trip and trying to hit the gap between the early March grade school spring breaks and Easter breaks, but would prefer the last week of March if I can convince myself that it won’t be a busy week.

However, as you say, not all school calendars are out, and some are out but not finalized/approved. I am just going manually through big school district websites, primarily in the southeast. Any advice on doing it better? Which states are the most important – the ones that send the most to Disney during spring break? As of now, I am guessing FL, GA, NC, VA, NY? Any guidance would be great.

Also, is there a rough rule of thumb that I can use to understand the difference between your charts? For example, would a “10” week generally have twice the ride waits as a “5” week? We have four kids so this is the single most important variable for us.

Thanks again for this great site – best one I have found, by far.

54 Dave { 04.27.13 at 3:52 pm }

Debs–March won’t be a picnic either, at least through March 29–I wouldn’t arrive much earlier, as otherwise you’ll run into the March snowbirds part of spring break crowds…

55 Dave { 04.27.13 at 4:05 pm }

Hi GZ, March crowds are not purely a function of school calendars–there’s also a major snowbird component. I would not arrive much before March 29 regardless of what school calendars say… See this for an example of how all these factors fit together this year: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/07/25/disney-world-crowds-2013-spring-break-2013/

And reagrding who goes…PA, MA, NY, OH and TX–becasue of their size–are as or more important than the closer states…

And my cored rankings don’t have a linear relationship…but rather are simply grouped in an ordinal fashion…

Sorry to not be much help!

56 Colleen { 04.30.13 at 4:37 pm }

We are in the planning stages for Disney 2014!!- Nov 29-Dec 6. Do you know when the Pop Warner Cheer is and the Christmas Parade taping? We hope to catch the parade and avoid the cheer crowds. Thanks!

57 Dave { 05.01.13 at 7:54 am }

Hi Colleen! I’m forecasting Pop Warner will begin December 6, 2014, and that the parade taping will be the 5th and 6th…

58 Kelsey { 05.08.13 at 7:30 pm }

What an incredible resource you are – thanks so much! We just returned from our first trip ever and are already plotting, er planning the next one. The last week of January through the first week of February look perfect. Being from the north, the weather won’t even phase us. Even with ride closures, not having to fight crowds with a double stroller with be invaluable!

59 Dave { 05.09.13 at 8:22 am }

Hi Kelsey and I’m so glad the site is helping, and thanks for the kind words!!

60 Debs { 05.09.13 at 11:27 am }

Hi Dave, thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately we have to travel on March 27th as the flights from the UK become really expensive after this date as people travel for the Easter hols before the UK free dining blackout begins! We can just chill for a couple of days before we brave the parks! Just to let you know, I sent a message to Undercover Tourist about their calendar and they got back to me saying it is being revised! Could do with your expertise I think!

61 Dave { 05.10.13 at 1:18 pm }

Thanks, Debs :)

62 Brandy { 05.27.13 at 6:05 pm }

Hi, and thanks for this fantastic chart! 2 Questions, if I may….#1 : We are DisneyLAND veterans…over 100 trips into the parks at that resort…we have become quite ept at early arrivals, utilizing fast pass, using ride itineraries, etc. That said…would you *still* suggest only visiting during the extremely low crowd times? This will be our first, and possibly only, trip all the way to Florida for WDW, and we obviously want to make the most of it (family of 6). Question # 2: Of those times in green, at which time would we be likely to encounter decent weather? (I’ve read a lot on disney-related message boards about humidity so bad that 2 outfits and a midday shower are required each day – we’d LOVE to avoid that!)

63 Dave { 05.28.13 at 7:30 am }

Hi Brandy and thanks for the kind words!

Since you know what you are doing, I think that the “black” (moderate crowd) weeks would be fine as well.

The best weather in Orlando is typically the second half of October, and the second half of April. The late Easter in 2014 doesn’t yield much in April, bit there’s several good October weeks! See also http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

64 Brandy { 05.28.13 at 1:47 pm }

Awesome! I was SOOO hoping you would say that about the second half of October! Thanks!

65 Dave { 05.29.13 at 6:49 am }

You bet, Brandy!

66 Brooke { 06.05.13 at 4:43 pm }

I know you don’t put out an actual crowd calendar per day, just weeks that are the best. However, I still wanted your opinion because you have so much knowledge and because you’re one of the few sites that actually responds in a detailed and timely manner to your readers’ questions! (Thank you for that BTW!) I have subscribed to touringplans.com and am tracking my specific days, but I have also been looking at Undercover Tourist’s crowd calendar. Why do you think they offer such contradicting information when it comes to best/worst parks on certain days? For example, touring plans says Monday, January 6th MK is the best park to visit and undercover tourist says it’s the park to avoid. Much the same the next day on Jan. 7th. touring plans says AK is the best park while undercover tourist says it’s the park to avoid. I am confused why two reputable sites can be offering such different perspectives. Would you say touring plans is the best advice to follow on these matters? Obviously they have written a lot of books and their site is so incredibly detailed. Just wish there wasn’t such a discrepancy as it makes my planning more confusing! Thanks for weighing in!

67 Dave { 06.06.13 at 7:58 am }

Hiya Brooke! I can’t say why either of those sites makes the calls that it does. In particular, Disney has not released yet its operating hours for January, which is the main input into good and bad days. So, frankly, ignore both, and come back here in a few weeks–when January hours should be out–and I’ll give you my point of view!

68 Brooke { 06.12.13 at 11:12 pm }

Ha ha! Ok, will do…I’ll check back with you in a few weeks! Thanks Dave!

69 Dave { 06.13.13 at 12:57 pm }

70 Tiffany { 06.16.13 at 9:03 pm }

I am planning a trip March 2-8 2014. On your crowd calendar you have that week as a 3. I just found out the Fat Tuesday is March 4th next year. Do you forsee Mardi Gras week playing a factor in the crowds at Disney? Should this be cause to change my week?

71 Dave { 06.17.13 at 11:27 am }

Tiffany, very few schools have the week of Mardi Gras off–some do, but very few–so I think you’ll be fine!

72 Brooke { 06.23.13 at 11:04 pm }

Hey Dave! Just checking back (in regards to my post a few weeks ago) about Disney’s January 2014 operating hours. Have they come out yet and if so, do I just go on Disney’s website to find them? Thanks!

73 Brooke { 06.23.13 at 11:32 pm }

I may have answered my own question…I looked on the Disney website and it seems as though they have posted operating hours through Dec. 30th at this point. So, maybe just a few more days for January hours? However, let me know if you have any inside info!

74 Dave { 06.24.13 at 7:34 am }
75 Brooke { 06.28.13 at 10:42 pm }

Awesome Dave…thank you so much!!!

76 thomas madden { 06.30.13 at 8:50 am }

We are going to Disneyworld for Mardi Gras 2014 getting out of New Orleans. We will be there Feb.27-March8th. Easter is April20th that year how crowded can i expect. We are use to going in October & early December. When does the spring break season start that year.I know you told me in december that you won’t have your final version until the summer has any thing change will this still be a slow time of year. Also what are you hearing about changes to the guest assist passes?

77 Dave { 06.30.13 at 12:04 pm }

Hi Thomas, sorry but I won’t have the final version of 2014 crowds out until later July…and I’m sorry I don’t have anything to say about changes in guest assist passes.

78 Anonymous { 07.06.13 at 4:25 pm }

me and my daughter will be going to wdw on jan 28th thur feb 9th will the crowds be awful and were not a big rider fan for the really intense rides were more on the mild side of rides what are the chances of thoses ride being closed for repair and can you find out now befor we book a package

79 Dave { 07.07.13 at 8:46 am }

Hi! Crowds then will be just fine. There’s no way to know what will be closed until Disney announces it.

80 Stephanie { 07.13.13 at 11:09 pm }

Hi, I am starting to plan a trip for my childrens’ first visit to Disney. They will be 6.5 and 1 month shy of 3. We are thinking of May 5-9 2014. I was wondering why is it listed as one of the lower crowd days? Is there a reason that I wouldn’t want to go then that I don’t know of?? :-) We are chosing based on your calendar and I think spring is easier than fall for us. Thanks!

81 Dave { 07.14.13 at 8:09 am }

Hi Stephanie!! Just to be clear–“lower crowd” is good!! That’s a lower crowd week because US school kids are all in school.

I rank it overall the 5th best week of 2014–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

82 Tom { 07.17.13 at 10:46 am }

Dave, I am planning to go on July 17 for two weeks. Complicated season, huh?

83 Leslie Anderson { 07.18.13 at 9:25 pm }

Hi! We are planning to go to WDW on Feb. 7-12 for a first time Disney trip! Kids are 3,6, and 7 years old! Any thoughts about this time of year? It doesn’t seem to be a top rated week. We probably won’t be back for another 3-5 years. Would it be better to wait until the end of May or first of June?

84 Tom { 07.18.13 at 10:04 pm }

@leslie: I have been this year an the previous one to WDW on the week you mention and it’s a low crowded one. One remark about the weather though: this year we had nice weather, around 70F, however in 2012 we had 2 or 3 days when temperature was at 40F and we had not brought with us our jackets. Let me say that Orlando is not a city where you can easily find thick winter gear in case of need, so keep a jacket in your suitcase just in case

85 Dave { 07.19.13 at 8:38 am }

Leslie, I ding that week becasue of ride closures–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/12/winter-ride-closures-at-walt-disney-world/

Otherwise it’s a great low crowd and low price week!

86 Rob { 07.21.13 at 3:13 am }

Hi Dave
Just came across you site which has some great information.
However, I’m starting to get a bit worried as we have booked to go Orlando from the 9th April till 23rd April. I see from your crowd calendar that this is going to be very very busy!
Just wanted to ask how up to date this information is? With this information in mind we are thinking of changing our booking to the first 2 weeks in April (29th March till 12th April). We just wanted to get your advise and see if it’s worth the added charges that are applied for changing our booking. This is out first visit to WDW as a family of 4.

Thanks for any advise

87 Dave { 07.21.13 at 8:40 am }

Hi Rob! The week of the 12th will be a disaster, and the week of the 19th not a whole lot better, becasue so many US kids have their spring breaks the week before or after Easter. I would strongly recommend shifting your dates to earlier!

88 Rob { 07.21.13 at 12:20 pm }

Hi Dave, many thanks for the advise. I think I will look at changing our booking to the first 2 weeks in April, most sites I have looked at agree with your site.
I did see on one site that the first week in April 2014 is the worst week?
It could be this is not up to date?
Thanks again

89 Rob { 07.21.13 at 3:21 pm }

Hi Dave, just another question….
Is the Crowd Calendar v2 above based on information you have received about the school spring breaks or are you still waiting for the spring break details to be released from some schools?
When do most of the schools over there have spring break?
Thanks

90 Heather { 07.21.13 at 7:58 pm }

In the first draft you ranked Feb 22 as 6th now it’s dropped to 11… Haven’t booked yet…still trying to decide the best time. Just wondering the reason? Thanks

91 Dave { 07.22.13 at 6:52 am }

Rob, I can’t imagine why anyone would think the first week of April will be the worst of the month in 2014…the week before Easter is ALWAYS the worst week of Spring Break!

92 Dave { 07.22.13 at 7:00 am }

Hi Rob, yes this is based on among other things my updated spring break analysis. I’ll be publishing all the detail behind it soon.

93 Dave { 07.22.13 at 7:02 am }

Hi Heather, I bumped the crowd forecast for that week one notch, which is why it dropped down. It’s still a recommended week, though!

94 Heather { 07.22.13 at 8:05 am }

Low crowds are really important to us….is 2/22/14 still a good choice ?

95 Heather { 07.22.13 at 8:43 pm }

I was wondering if getting there on Saturday feb 22 would still feel the previous Presidents’ Day ?

96 Heather { 07.22.13 at 9:03 pm }

My daughters birthday is in January so we wanted to go close to that time but thought feb would be better both in weather & ride closure. Thanks for your help

97 Dave { 07.23.13 at 6:22 am }

Hi Heather, the crowds will be gone on the 23rd, so that’s a great approach!

98 Dave { 07.23.13 at 6:23 am }

Yes, that’s a great week, Heather!

99 Dave { 07.24.13 at 1:25 pm }

Quick question, we are in the unfortunate crowd that must attend during spring break 2014(if we dont decide to push the trip back to Aug 2014). My son who is 5 is out of kindergarten from April 17 – 27. Which days would be best to plan 7days within that time? should I push it as far into the month as I can? 20 – 27. or should we start our trip directly on the 17th? Your calendar has the week of the 26th looking great. Might be able to get in one day of low crowds? lol Thanks for any insight!

100 Dave { 07.25.13 at 8:16 am }

Hey Dave I haven’t published this yet but expect to see a significant drop after the 22nd. So aim for the end of your possible dates!

101 Amanda { 08.02.13 at 9:12 pm }

This will be our 4th trip to WDW. We were looking at April 22-27, but now I don’t know. Our only other option is May 27-31. Suggestions? I do not want us to regret going instead of waiting until next year.

102 Dave { 08.03.13 at 11:57 am }

Amanda, both are rotten weeks, but I have a very tiny preference for the week after Easter. The very late Easter means that many districts aren’t off that week–but still plenty are and it will be mobbed! See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

103 rOLAND { 08.03.13 at 9:40 pm }

I am looking to go to WDW 6/25 THRU 7/ 2014, but not only am I finding it expensive, I do not like the crowd chart for the time period. Any suggestions?

104 Dave { 08.04.13 at 9:06 am }

Roland, my suggested 2014 weeks are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

105 Emily { 08.09.13 at 9:25 pm }

Already looking at your crowd calendar for December of 2014. Because my husband is involved in a Master’s Program our dates are limited. He ends his last class on the 12th of December. Thinking about heading down starting on the 13th and it looks like that week is still listed in the “low crowd” (3) section. When does it actually start to get crazy with crowds that week? Friday the 19th? Saturday the 20th? Or earlier?
Thanks for your help!

106 Dave { 08.10.13 at 8:08 am }

Hi Emily, it should be fine until Saturday the 20th!

107 Beth { 08.13.13 at 1:26 pm }

I am not sure that I understand why the week prior to Easter is ranked as an 11. I did my own research and saw that the majority of Universities have Spring Break in March. Also most school districts in FL, AL, and GA have Spring break in March or the first two weeks in April. Thank you for this website…..I have learned quite a few things.

108 Dave { 08.14.13 at 6:48 am }

Hi Beth and I’m glad the site is helping a bit!

Funny you should ask, as just this morning I published the detail behind my spring break crowd forecasts. It’s here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/14/disney-world-crowds-spring-break-2014/

Year in and ear out the week before Easter is by far the busiest spring break week at Disney World, and that’s because the plurality of spring breaks in the eastern half of the nation are still that week. Disney evens mentions changes in the timing of Easter in its earnings calls as a way to warn analysts about comparability of results, it’s so important. My material is based on 180 school districts, which is why it’s different than your results…and college spring break dates are irrelevant…

109 Valerie { 08.21.13 at 10:43 pm }

Hi Dave! Our family is thinking of going to Walt Disney World January 3rd through the 9th 2014. I’ve read that crowds will be going down from about the 4th but what impact do you think the marathon will have crowd wise that week? Does it tend to get busy at the parks that week before the marathon? Thanks!

110 Dave { 08.22.13 at 10:34 am }

Valerie, the marathon will pump up crowds as the weekend approaches, but I think you’ll be OK until the 9th!

111 Valerie { 08.22.13 at 11:14 am }

Thanks Dave! Love this website. Your info is so helpful! Thanks a million :-)

112 Valerie { 08.24.13 at 6:54 pm }

Hi again Dave! Because we are going 3rd-9th or 10th of January 2014 I am concerned about the lingering crowds from New Years. How crowded can I expect it to be during that time? Does it typically stay pretty crowded through that week or does it settle down because people are going back to work and school? Also do you know of any of the rides that will be refurbished during that time or know when Disney will release that info? Thanks so much!

113 Dave { 08.25.13 at 8:39 am }

Hi Valerie! Early January crowds vary a bit based on school schedules. In 2014, they should be largely out by January 5–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/07/30/disney-world-crowds-christmas-2013-and-new-years-20132014/

There’s no known rehabs for 2014 yet, and I’m not aware of a schedule Disney uses to announce them….they just trickle out, usually not until December or so…

114 Valerie { 08.25.13 at 10:45 am }

Thanks Dave! You rock :-)

115 Dave { 08.26.13 at 9:24 am }

You bet, Valerie!

116 alyson { 08.29.13 at 10:55 am }

Hiya I fly out on 6th dec 2014 is there anyway of getting cheaper park tickets also mickeys party should I go first week I arrive if 2nd is busy? Its our 3rd visit I did halloween last year also whats the westher like do you know? Its really cold here in uk in december ty

117 Dave { 08.30.13 at 7:12 am }

Hi Alyson! You can’t really find much of a discount on WDW tickets anywhere, but take a look at sponsored by Undercover Tourist

December whether can be quite cool, or quite warm. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/05/19/december-2013-at-walt-disney-world/

I don’t quite understand your MVMCP question, but if you are asking if your first week or second will be less busy at the party, both should be fine, but the first week better.

Was this even remotely helpful? Then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

118 Beth { 08.30.13 at 6:52 pm }

We have made plans to go to FL the week prior to Easter Sunday. Which 2 days do you anticipate having the lowest crowds? Tuesday and Wednesday? I have read your answers to peoples questions and your link. I am hoping that mid week we will miss some of people enjoying extended weekends

119 Dave { 08.31.13 at 10:39 am }

Beth, none really. Every day the week befroe Easter will be wall to wall people. While Tues and Weds will be better than other days, you won;t really be able to tell from being there…

120 Kay { 09.03.13 at 11:15 am }

Hi there–love this site! We are all set with reservations at Contemporary & dining for March 1-6, 2014. Just out of curiousity, was checking ADRs for the week or so before ours openedup for booking & maybe just random but noticed more times were available for hard-to-get ADR’s (like BOG, CT, etc) –question–do the more avaailable dining times lend any indication to crowds? Meaning More dining times might equal lower crowds? I know you recommend the week we are going, was just wondering if there was a potential link? Thanks so much!!

121 Kari { 09.03.13 at 12:25 pm }

Hi Dave, We are trying to figure out whether to take our family of 5 to disneyworld either the first week of March 2014 or the week of April 5th. Which do you think would be better? We are worried about the weather in March because of the water rides and also we are thinking of doing a water park however we really don’t want to fight the crowds, we went last time in the dead heat of July lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated:) Also why isn’t the week of April 5th more busy with spring break?

122 Dave { 09.03.13 at 2:20 pm }

Hi Kay and thanks!!

Having times available is a good sign, but having the dining booked does not mean it will be crowded–dining capacity is so limited that it doesn’t serve as a good crowd calendar…

123 Dave { 09.03.13 at 2:23 pm }

Hi Kari! Of the two I’d pick your April option because of your weather concerns/desires.

See this for why it won’t be crowded: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/14/disney-world-crowds-spring-break-2014/

124 Ninette { 09.05.13 at 4:12 am }

I am going to Disney for 2 weeks in Summer 2015 as a family of 5 adults. As I work in a school I am able to go between 5th July and 31st August. I know it will be busy around Independence day and as you say Labor Day is very late. Which 2 weeks crowd wise would you therefore recommend. I was wondering if the first 2 weeks in August or last week July and first week of August might be best as right bang in between the their two holiday dates. I am sure you can advise me. We plan to stay at Pop Century on the Walt Disney Resort. Many Thanks Ninette

125 Dave { 09.05.13 at 7:31 am }

Ninette, go as late in August as you can. The second half of August is much less crowded than are July and the first half of August.

126 Ninette { 09.07.13 at 3:39 am }

Hi Dave

Ninette again. How is it with regard for Hurricanes then? Alternatively we can go the last 2 weeks in October but we were worried that by then the temperatures will have dropped and we would not be able to spend a lot of time at the water parks. We like hot weather as we are all adults. I have looked at average temperatures for October but as it is the last two weeks thought temperatures may be more like November and not warm enough for waterparks. Also I think some of the parades are only on certain nights etc. Is that a problem too, or ride closures? Sorry Dave loads of questions there. Many Thanks Ninette

127 Dave { 09.07.13 at 10:47 am }

Ninette, only you can make the trade-off between hurricane and temperature risk–though I do have to add that hurricane risk is VERY low. I assume you’ve seen the stuff related to your dates that begins here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/

Evening parties and other matters that lead to missing the evening parades and fireworks at the Magic Kingdom begin in early September and go through the middle of December (other than Thanksgiving week and the first week of November.) See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/ he other three parks have pretty standard evenings all the period.

128 Ninette { 09.09.13 at 10:17 am }

Thanks Dave for all your advice. Website great. Ninette

129 Dave { 09.10.13 at 9:35 am }

You bet, Ninette!!

130 Lisa { 10.04.13 at 10:55 pm }

We are considering our 2nd trip to WDW for the following 2 possibilities:
Jan 2 – 7 or Jan 5 – 10, 2014
I had hoped to book Jan 2 – 7 but later discovered that crowds might be pretty high. Because of that, I’m reconsidering our dates. How would you advise? I do love seeing Disney decorated for Christmas and the feeling of being there during a holiday time, but since I will have a 6 and 4 year old in tow, I’m concerned about crowds and wait times.

131 Dave { 10.05.13 at 9:30 am }

Hi Lisa!

It will be a zoo until January 5, so for sure I’d pick your later dates. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/07/30/disney-world-crowds-christmas-2013-and-new-years-20132014/

Well then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

132 Roseann { 10.05.13 at 11:05 pm }

Just stumbled on your site…LUV IT!! We can not decide which weeks to travel in January 2014 or November 2013. Thinking about the week of January 5 thru 10, 2014 or January 19 thru 24, 2014. We are flexible with travel dates for the whole month of January. We will be two adults ( big kids) traveling and have been to WDW numerous times. Also we were thinking November 18 thru 23, 2013, the end of this year. Which of these travel dates would be the least crowded? Not concerned about ride closures. Would love to get your advise.
Thanks !!
Roseann

133 Dave { 10.06.13 at 9:23 am }

Hi Roseann–if your issue is truly just crowds, then while all your targeted dates are good, your later January dates are the best choice! See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/

134 Roseann { 10.06.13 at 4:37 pm }

Thank you so much for your help. I already “Pinned” you yesterday :)
I just love all the wonderful information that you provide on your website.
Roseann

135 Dave { 10.07.13 at 7:57 am }

Thanks, Roseann!!!

136 Erin { 10.10.13 at 10:29 pm }

Thanks for the planning resource. It has been very helpful to me on a number of Disney trips. We normally visit the first week in February, and we love the weather and crowd levels. This coming year we are considering the week after MLK, as our school has scheduled 2 workdays following it. We wouldn’t arrive until Jan 20 (MLK day), but my concern is that other schools may have done this to their schedules as well and the crowds will be bad. You have mentioned having access to school schedules so I thought I would start by asking you. Every forecasting website I have found has said the crowds will go back to low after Monday. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
Erin

137 Dave { 10.11.13 at 7:25 am }

Hiya Erin and I’m glad the site is helping!! I agree with everyone else–the rest of that week will be fine. It’s so early in the term that most districts don’t have the work days added…

138 Johnnie Hansen { 10.20.13 at 10:34 am }

I see that you do a lot of analysis on holidays and spring breaks and how they affect crowds. What about the effects of European tourists? Do they have any spring breaks that contribute to peak crowds or have you ever analyzed that? I know there were many Europeans in Ft. Myers when I visited there around Easter.

139 STUART { 10.21.13 at 5:05 am }

Hi Dave
I am heading over to the USA from Australia with my wife & 2 kids 8 & 9 in July 2014.
We are hoping to spend 6 or 7 days in Orlando. What do you think would be our best run.
I realize it will be busy but I am hoping by allowing up to a week might help.
Cheers
Stuart

140 Dave { 10.21.13 at 9:54 am }

Hey Johnnie, great question! The short answer is that yes I have analyzed it, and there’s not a single non-US group large enough and with distinctive enuf holidays to have a large effect on crowds beyond the already-happening US effects. WDW is about 20% non-US, the plurality of that from Canada…next is the UK, and next is Brazil…

141 Dave { 10.21.13 at 10:10 am }

Stuart…I need an translator lol–what do you mean by “run”?

142 STUART { 10.21.13 at 7:56 pm }

Sorry Dave should have worded better. We are in the US from 29th of June leaving on the 23rd of July. I am trying to work out what would be the best week at Disney then work the rest of trip around it.
We are arriving in LA. and people are telling me not to do Disneyland but fly across and do Disney World. Any comments about that????
Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

143 Dave { 10.22.13 at 7:58 am }

Stuart, at both places the later in July the better, and absolutely avoid the week that includes the 4th of July.

Seeing all the best of WDW takes 6+ days, and seeing all the best at DLR takes about 4 days. There is a lot of overlap, but also unique offerings at each location. WDW will also requite another day or so for the additional flights.

My advice? Disneyland. Including the flights, WDW takes almost twice as long, but isn’t anywhere close to twice as good. Many will argue that it’s not even better than DLR. Use the extra three days to make sure you hit another great North American visitor destination…

144 Stuart { 10.22.13 at 8:24 pm }

Hi Dave
Thanks so much for the advice. May have just saved me a couple of thousand $. as well.

145 Dave { 10.23.13 at 7:25 am }

Cool, Stuart!

146 Dave { 11.04.13 at 4:29 pm }

Saw your crowd calendar….in my town, kids aren’t back to school until 2 days after labor day. would a Wed Aug 27-Tues Sept 2 be as low as the first 2 weeks of December?…Is Labor Day a busy day? ….going next year and would like to not take them out of school. But definitely don’t want heavy crowds…have gone in early December and mid January and the crowds were not bad at all

147 Dave { 11.05.13 at 7:43 am }

Dave that’ll be a low-crowd time, lower than my recommended weeks! Labor Day is not a draw…See this for the numbers behind the equivalent 2013 dates http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/07/09/end-of-summer-crowds-at-walt-disney-world/

148 Diana { 11.21.13 at 3:23 pm }

Thanks so much for all the great info! I’m planning a trip Feb 23-Mar 1 with my husband, 2 kids (5 & 7), and my in-laws. We will be in the parks Feb 24-28 and I’m trying to decide the best order to visit the parks.

I want to start at MK because it the first time my in-laws have ever been to any Disney park and seems like a great way to kick off the week. Tuesday starts in Epcot (future world) then we head to HS for Fantasmic and back to Epcot for Illuminations, Wednesday is HS, Thu back to MK in the am for EMH then Epcot World Showcase after lunch…closing the week at AK on Friday. I was thinking we had picked a pretty good week but a couple crowd calendars I’ve checked are making me concerned, especially with MK on Monday. Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m not afraid of waiting in line but doing my best to avoid spending a majority of our time there. Luckily, both my kids are boys and are interested in most of the same things so that helps in planning.

Diana

149 Mark { 11.24.13 at 7:57 am }

By the way, we’re Florida Residents and have been to the parks before so no worries on the closures.

150 Dave { 11.24.13 at 9:10 am }

Hi Diana, Mondays are often quite busy at MK, and because Epcot has morning EMH it will be unusually crowded on Tuesday. Moreover, you have a lot of hopping in your itinerary, and more HS and Epcot and less MK than I’d recommend given the ages of your kids.

I’d do Epcot Monday, MK Tuesday and Weds, HS or AK Thurs, and the other Fri…

151 Jennifer { 12.03.13 at 7:55 pm }

Hi! We were planning on coming the week of March 24th, thinking it would be a slow time, as it is not near Easter. You have it marked very red, I was just wondering why that is expected to be a busy time.
Thanks

152 Dave { 12.05.13 at 8:45 am }

Jennifer, March other than the first week is usually a mess, Easter dates are only one of the factors driving crowds then–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/14/disney-world-crowds-spring-break-2014/

153 Kyla Lee { 12.08.13 at 3:37 pm }

Just booked a trip for September 11-14, 2014. I saw that 2013 crowd during this time is a 1, but you have the crowd as a 3 for 2014. What is going on at Disney to increase the crowd during this time in 2014? Thanks so much for all of your vast knowledge on this site!!!

154 Dave { 12.09.13 at 6:10 am }
155 Kyla Lee { 12.09.13 at 12:12 pm }

Thanks Dave! Now I get it!

156 Frank { 12.12.13 at 10:29 am }

We are planning to visit Magic Kingdom Disney World the first week of March, 2014. I noticed that Mardi Gras is on March 4th. I have heard that the week of Mardi Gras is particularly crowded at Disney World. Can you provide any insight into this?

157 Dave { 12.13.13 at 8:51 am }

Frank this is one of those “Disney myths.” Hardly any kid outside of Louisiana have a holiday that week, so the crowds are still reasonable.

158 Mona { 12.17.13 at 9:30 am }

HELP!!! need to decide what dining reservations to keep
Sun: March 2nd – I will be spending at MK
I have BBBoutique appointment @ 5:25
I have Dinner reservation @ CRT @ 9:25
& Dinner reservation @ 1900PF @ 8:25
need to cancel one – Do I stay in the Park BBB / CRT and try to catch the 11pm Electric Parade? or head to GF and maybe see Wishes from afar and taxi back to AOA after a long day. Plan to hit MK @ rope drop and head back after lunch then return for BBB
______________________________________________
Wed: March 5th – back @ MK – have reservations at Tomorrow Land Dessert Party @ 9:05 – Wishes @ 10pm
I have Dinner reservation @ CRT @ 2:10
& Dinner reservation @ 1900PF @ 4:35
need to cancel one – Which combination should I do?

BBB on Sunday is set & Desset Party on Wednesday is set.

Help me figure the logic of which would be better – I want to do the Castle and see the Step Sisters.

I also plan to do HS on Monday, EPCOT on Tuesday and AK Thursday and head home after AK. Does HS on Monday & EPCOT on Tuesday make sense?

159 Dave { 12.18.13 at 9:46 am }

Mona, becasue it’s an Extra Magic Hours day, March 2 will be mobbed at MK, so I’d do 1900PF that night. The 5th will be much better at MK, so that’s a a good day for CRT.

I would not do HS the 2nd and Epcot the 3rd for the same EMH reasons. I’d flip them and do Epcot Monday and HS Tuesday. Over the scours of the day, you’ll see much lower corwds, as EMH draws tons of WDW hotel guests…

160 Natalie { 12.29.13 at 8:31 pm }

Looking into a short first trip to the Magic Kingdom only April 3-6. This will be a first trip for a family of 3 with a 7yr old. In your opinion, would this be a good time?

161 Dave { 12.30.13 at 7:24 am }
162 Steve { 12.30.13 at 8:56 am }

Thanks for this awsome site!!
We have booked 25th March – 8th April 2014 as we got some good flight prices. The first few days will be busy im sure but do you still expect the crowds to drop from the 29th on?? i tried to find some US school holiday dates but struggled to conclude..
Whats your thoughts on these dates?

Thanks again from non sunny England!

163 Dave { 12.31.13 at 6:39 am }

Hi Steve and thanks!

I do expect them to drop a bit the 29th, and then drop again April 5th. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/14/disney-world-crowds-spring-break-2014/

164 Lisa { 12.31.13 at 3:03 pm }

Hi Dave

Planning our first trip to DW, with two sons, age 13 and 15, ( its -50 C where we are right now burrr) can you recommend a resort that might appeal to boys in this age range, also due to school breaks we are looking at a 7-8 day stay from March 28th on, how is this time period looking in terms of crowds, and how might we want to plan visiting the theme parks during this time period. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

165 Shawn { 12.31.13 at 4:50 pm }

Love what you’ve done here. I know you said somewhere this is based on wait times, and I know it is only a projection, and I am curious what the methodology is for data collection, and the reliability of the data itself?

I just came back from WDW over XMAS. Left the 19th and came back the 30th. 19th and 20th were relatively uncrowded, nice. The rest of the time was wicked bad. Especially the 24th and 25th. I’ll never do that ever ever again, but still had a good time.

166 Dave { 01.01.14 at 7:27 am }

Lisa, kids that age are tough to guess about…and price is also a question.

At the higher priced end if there’s still a resonance of the majesty of the conquering of the west, I’d go with the Wilderness Lodge; if they love pools then the Beach Club, and if neither then the Contemporary.

For your March/April plans, see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/15/march-2014-at-walt-disney-world/

167 Dave { 01.01.14 at 7:34 am }

Hey Shawn, I have not explained the crowd calender in a while so I will post about that one of these days!!

168 charlotte { 01.02.14 at 1:22 am }

Hi Dave. so glad i found this site! we are traving down the week of feb.23rd. first day in the parks will be the24th then thru march 1st of 2014. looking at the crowd counter i sure wish we were going the 1st week of feb.! this is our 1st trip. do you think the princess marathon will make the crowds large my week? also which parks do you suggest those days i’m there?thank you so much!

169 Dave { 01.02.14 at 8:13 am }

Hi Charlotte, there might be some crowds effects Sun and Mon, but not a ton, and the rest of the week should be fine.

The 24th, avoid all parks but Epcot
The 25th is good everywhere except Epcot, and I’d do MK
The 26th is good at all but AK, and I’d do MK.
Avoid MK the 27th–I’d do AK
Avoid Epcot the 28th–I’d do HS
The 1st, all parks but HS are OK

170 Lisa { 01.02.14 at 4:44 pm }

What is fast pass, fast pass +? Do I need to get one, and if so how do i do that?

171 Dave { 01.03.14 at 8:12 am }
172 Sarah { 01.04.14 at 11:00 pm }

I have reservations for Feb 4-11. I see you have that marked as a pretty slow time. However I was checking for the price difference for a different type of room to see if I should upgrade and I noticed several resorts said they had no availability. This greatly scared me that there might be something going on. Do you know why they would not have availability?

173 Sarah { 01.04.14 at 11:08 pm }

I see you already answered this question on the February page so no need for another response. Thanks!

174 Karla { 01.18.14 at 12:16 pm }

What a wonderful analysis! I wish I had known about this years ago. We have been to Disney many, many times. If I had known what I know now, I would never have gone over 4th of July, thanksgiving, or Christmas! That said, we hated the crowds but enjoyed the magic that each season/holiday brought. I think we will just continue to stick with Sept or Oct!

175 Dave { 01.19.14 at 8:03 am }

Thanks Karla–and try early December one of these days! http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

176 Ivs { 02.04.14 at 9:36 pm }

I have been on your website for countless hours. Thank you! I am taking my kids 9, 6 to WDW for the 1st time. We can visit the parks from May 25-May 29. Should I purchase 4 day or 5 day tickets? We will drive from Louisiana and arrive at 4:00 pm on Sunday May 25. We want to relax and go to MK until 2 a.m. What time should we go? I was thinking of sleeping in on Tuesday May 26. I really just want to ride the monorail and hang out by the pool. I am not really interested in HS but what days of the week should we visit the other parks.I am even thinking of visiting MK a second day. Please help me plan my trip. I have spent several snow days and countless hours but I am more confused now than ever! Thank you Very much!

177 Iva { 02.04.14 at 9:43 pm }

I meant to say we want to visit MK late evening 5 p.m.-2 a.m. Sunday May 25, 2014. We will sleep in a little Monday May 26, 2014. I’m clueless for May which parks to visit. Swimming and riding the monorail is a must at some point during this trip.

178 Dave { 02.05.14 at 2:50 pm }

Hi LVS! With kids that age (I mean the 6yo), I’d skip Epcot, so if you also aren’t interested in HS, then 4 days should be fine. Spend two at MK, one at AK, and then for the fourth day return to one of these–or go wild with AK or HS! If you are committed to MK the 25th, and sleeping in the 26th, Id then go to AK the 27th and MK the 28th.

179 gh { 02.05.14 at 5:30 pm }

We are thinking of going april27-may2 or april 28- may 3. Any difference in the two ? Thanks!

180 Dave { 02.06.14 at 7:00 am }

GH, the only difference I see is that many hotels supercharge for Friday and Saturday nights, so your May 2 departure avoids this…

181 Laurie { 02.17.14 at 10:41 am }

Great site.
Going to Disneyworld on May 6 -13, 2014, staying at Pop Century, it’s not going to be that busy and still warm weather? Have not been to Disneyworld since year 2000.

182 Dave { 02.17.14 at 11:25 am }

Hi Laurie! It’s never “not busy”–just some weeks are less crowded than others! I think that’s a great week–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/10/15/may-2014-at-walt-disney-world/

183 Jan { 02.25.14 at 6:13 pm }

Wondering what the cancellation policy is on hotel and tickets? If we had to reschedule our trip what is the best course of action? We are planning either 1st week in April or 1st week in May.

184 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:29 pm }

The cancellation polices vary by what you are buying. See this for the policy for a package–that is a room + something else, eg tix: http://familytimegetaways.com/disney-world-changes-cancellation-policy-for-2014/

185 Joe { 02.27.14 at 2:18 pm }

Hi Dave! We are planing a disney trip on May 17-23, but want to know if your crowd calendar takes into consideration the fact of the snow storms in US with the class breaks?

186 Dave { 02.28.14 at 7:05 am }

Joe, few kids end school in May, and extra snow days will mean that even fewer will exit then. So May crowds won’t be worse, and may be a little better. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/25/disney-world-crowds-in-2014-summer-crowds/

187 DeWayne { 03.02.14 at 11:19 pm }

Hey Dave! About to book 1st Disney World trip for fam and are targeting May 21st-24th. Heading into Memorial Day weekend seems to be heading into a jump in crowds by your chart (and common sense) but very doable? We’re flying home the 25th. Thanks in advance!

188 Dave { 03.03.14 at 10:41 am }

Hey DeWayne–the 21st through 23rd should be great–but note this on the 23rd: http://www.easywdw.com/news/another-24-hour-day-coming-to-magic-kingdom-may-23rd/ The 24th will see higher crowds.

189 Kerri { 03.04.14 at 7:33 am }

Hi Dave, Were coming to WDW on our 1st Disney family trip with kids 11 & 13 on the week of May 4, 2014. Any suggestions to a good location to find good deals? We would like to stay on the resort.

190 Dave { 03.04.14 at 7:56 am }
191 GP { 03.06.14 at 11:55 am }

Hi Dave! Thank you so much for the time you’ve taken on your website. A lot of good information. I am taking my wife and son, 9, to WDW the week of spring break, 3/16-3/21. On Monday 3/17 we are going to Epcot for St. Patty’s but what would you recommend as far as which parks to go to on what other days that week?

192 Dave { 03.06.14 at 1:08 pm }

Well, GP, that’ll be a rough week for crowds. The 16th avoid MK, AK or HS are good choices. The 18th is good for MK, avoid Epcot. The 19th is OK everywhere but AK. Avoid MK the 20th, and avoid Epcot the 21st…

193 Anonymous { 03.12.14 at 11:45 am }

Hi Dave – we just booked our trip
for 0ct 12th – 19th 2014 first time visiting – we are looking forward to it any recommendations. Should I worry about the weather? I was told sept/ oct was the best time and hurricane season should be coming to an end. Hoping pool weather and water parks :) thanks

194 Tanya { 03.17.14 at 1:14 am }

Hi! We are trying to decide on a trip to WDW with our 4 year old daughter. We have an option of June 29-July 5, July 6-July 13, or one of the last 2 weeks in August. Obviously only being 4, she isn’t going to be into too many of the big rides. Our main concerns are the crowds as we are walking around, the temperatures/weather, and being able to get to her favorite, the princesses. Can you help advise us in when you would suggest we make this trip? Thank you in advance for your help.

195 Lara Gordon { 03.17.14 at 5:54 am }

I sent you an earlier email with our proposed itinerary but have finally figured out what I’m supposed to do with days in your basic itinerary. I will completely revise the itinerary now!
Just a quick question though: Should we see both Wishes, Electrical Parade one night and Mickey’ s Not So Scary Halloween Party another night? (Are they the same fireworks..etc?)
Thanks for all your great advice!
Lara

196 Dave { 03.17.14 at 7:56 am }

Hi Tanya, weather is similar over all dates, except later August is in the peak of the hurricane season. You will find much lower crowds in late August.

197 Dave { 03.17.14 at 7:59 am }

Hi Lara, the only itineraries I can stand by are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/alternative-itineraries/ My “basic itinerary” is 1. aimed at three weeks in late Nov and early Dec, and 2. made obsolete by FastPass+…(I’ll be publishing a revision of it).

The fireworks and parade are very different. If you are going to the Halloween party anyway, I’d see its versions first, and then decide after if you want to see the standard versions too.

198 Frank { 03.17.14 at 7:48 pm }

I have to go to MK, would you recommend March 20th or 21st?

199 Dave { 03.18.14 at 7:18 am }

Frank–the 21st.

200 Julie { 03.19.14 at 2:24 pm }

Hey, we are going to Disney world November 28th to December 5. What days do you think are the best to visit each park? How do you feel crowd wise for these days?

Thanks, Julie

201 Dave { 03.20.14 at 8:01 am }

Julie, I won’t be able to comment on that until Disney releases its calendars, which it typically does about 6 months ahead–so late May for the December dates.

202 Coleen { 03.28.14 at 12:03 am }

Dave, we were going to plan a last minute trip — April 14-20. I’m really worried about crowds – I saw pics from Christmas and couldn’t believe how terrible the crowds were at MK. Are we going to be up against the same problem if we go those days?

203 Dave { 03.28.14 at 6:44 am }

Coleen, I expect record crowds that week…

204 Coleen Yahner { 03.28.14 at 1:04 pm }

How do you feel about the week before — week of April 5 — just found out we may have some flexibility. When I looked at prices, we would save about $600 too

205 Dave { 03.28.14 at 4:38 pm }

Much better, Coleen!

206 Marissa { 04.01.14 at 8:44 pm }

So, I’ve read all your articles just now about crowds, and price fluctuations, weather, etc,..and I don’t know what to do! haha. I am working on a surprise anniversary trip for my husband and I. I don’t know if I want to schedule it for November, our actual anniversary month (it falls on the 18th but I’m thinking of going maybe the week before) or for April 2015. My main concern is low crowds, but my husband wants good weather. We previously went in December ’12 for our honeymoon and it wasn’t warm enough for him. I would also really prefer low prices. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

207 Dave { 04.02.14 at 8:23 am }

Well, Marissa, there’s no option that will give you all three. To limit whining, I’d advise late April–see week number 8 in http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/12/08/2015-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/ Crowds are low, weather is great, prices are average.

208 Marissa { 04.02.14 at 3:04 pm }

Thanks so much!! :) I really appreciate it, I was overwhelmed with options haha.

209 Joe Alecci { 04.03.14 at 11:56 am }

I plan on going to Disney World in Florida during the last week in August leading up to Labor Day. Your crowd meter research says this should be a great week crowd wise, but when I called Disney to inquire about a room, they told me that that particular week is extremely busy. Can you please shed some light on this from your experience? It’s very confusing, I want to go but only if the crowds are light. Thanks

210 Dave { 04.04.14 at 2:00 pm }

Joe, not sure what you mean about “a room”–some resorts are much more popular than others–like Little Mermaid at Art of Animation–and sell out months ahead. Moreover, the Disney resorts routinely sell out during low-crowd weeks, as that’s when savvy travelers–who prefer Disney hotels to off-site, when they can afford them–come. That will be a low crowd week.

211 Joe { 04.04.14 at 3:07 pm }

Dave, I called Disney about booking a vacation package and asked the agent about the crowds that week and she said it’s very crowded. I think you answered my question in your last sentence by saying it’s a low crowd week. Maybe her perception of “crowded” is different from mine. I have been there in February when crowds were low and did not have to wait for any attraction. I am hoping that the last week in August is the same. Thanks

212 Dave { 04.05.14 at 7:49 am }

Joe, it’ll be pretty close to what you saw in Feb. Most kids are back in school by then…and that’s what drives crowds. A few areas go back after Labor Day–but it’s hard for families to take the very last week before school starts off. You’ll be fine!

213 Joe { 04.05.14 at 10:15 am }

That’s what I though but wanted some confirmation. Thanks for our help!

214 Wendy Adams { 04.08.14 at 11:38 am }

Any idea if free dining will be offered 1st week of Sept. and is this truly a bad time to go due to hurricane season?

215 Dave { 04.08.14 at 4:21 pm }

Wendy, I expect it will, but have no way to confirm until it happens. The peak of the hurricane season is not a bad time ago–it’s just a little riskier than other times…

216 Monique { 04.08.14 at 5:26 pm }

Dave, I was looking at taking my family to disney on either Nov. 29 to Dec. 4 or Dec. 5 to Dec. 10.. Which of the two would do suggest is better and has less of a crowd. I was in disney back in 2012 from Nov. 29 to Dec. 6 and it was great crowds were low the only long lines were the popular kiddie rides but in 2012 Thanksgiving fell on the week before i left. This year if I would go on Nov.29 it would be the Saturday right after Thanksgiving which makes me a little nerves.

217 Dave { 04.09.14 at 10:03 am }

Monique, you’ll see Thanksgiving crowds the 29th, and a bit the 30th. So the 5th through the 10th will likely be better…

218 Elizabeth { 04.10.14 at 6:00 pm }

Hi, I tried to read through before asking, just in case this has already been answered, there was just so many, I couldn’t tell…. We are planning to take a trip for our kids birthday week. We always visit in February. And visit every year, so we are not newbies…. We want to come from Dec 15-19. We are use to light crowds in February, how crazy will it be that week. I’m hoping that because most kids will still be in school that it isn’t going to be crazy…. What is your opinion?
Thanks for the info.

219 Dave { 04.11.14 at 7:48 am }

Elizabeth, most school breaks won’t happen until 12/20, so I think you will be just fine! It will be more crowded than most Feb weeks, but still quite tolerable. The trick in Dec is to go to the right parks the right days–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/

220 Elizabeth { 04.11.14 at 1:00 pm }

Thanks, Dave. I feel so lucky to have a great Disney community to help in my obsessive planning. We are so excited to see the world all decked out!

221 Cyndy { 04.19.14 at 6:59 am }

Dave, my large family of 17 are heading to Disney World May 3rd – May 9th. I’ve seen conflicting opinions about crowd levels. Are you pretty confident that will be a good week for us to go?

222 Dave { 04.19.14 at 8:41 am }

Cyndy, no large amount of US kids are out of school then. This it will be a low crowd week.

223 Cyndy { 04.19.14 at 10:04 am }

Wonderful! Thanks so much.

224 Lani { 05.02.14 at 8:50 am }

Hi. We have reservations for October 7th to the 12th. We are traveling on the 13th. What do you think about the crowds then?

225 Joy { 05.03.14 at 12:01 am }

We are planning our first trip to disney, but I’ve been reading and its Jersey week. We have to go that time if we are going. My kids are younger 9-4 and won’t do the big rides. Will Jersey week be awful for us?

226 Dave { 05.04.14 at 11:05 am }

Lani, the holiday and fall breaks will make the weekend more crowded than later October. It’s still be OK, though!–See this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/03/18/october-2014-at-walt-disney-world/

227 Dave { 05.04.14 at 11:15 am }

Joy, Jersey week is not bad, it’s just worse than other weeks around it…see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/02/jersey-week-at-walt-disney-world/

228 maureen haddigan { 05.06.14 at 11:32 am }

hi dave, great site.
We just booked a last minute trip to Disney, May 17 to the 25. Arriving around 7:30 sat night.
Any help on setting up my days for each park.. The husband is trying to talk me into swimming with the dolphins which I would like to save for another trip. We have 4 children too… 9,9,12,13. thanks for any help on short notice

229 Dave { 05.07.14 at 12:15 pm }

Hi Maureen!

The 18th avoid HS and MK. AK would be a good choice.
Avoid HS and AK the 19th. Epcot would be a good choice.
The 20th avoid Epcot and the 21st HS. These are good MK days.
The 22nd avoid MK
The 23rd avoid MK, Epcot and HS…kinda leaves it AK, or a day off
The 24th avoid AK and HS
The 25th avoid HS and MK.

With the ages of your kids, I’d target 2 days at MK, 1.5 at EPcot, and 1 each at HS and AK…in my opinion, they are old for Sea World, and you need a day off more than a dolphin day…

230 Tracy { 05.07.14 at 10:05 pm }

What are your thoughts on going the week before the summer discount begins (June 7-14)? Maybe lower crowds as people wait a week to get the lower prices?
Thank you.

231 Dave { 05.08.14 at 8:08 am }

Crowds are driven by school breaks, Tracy. Not as many kids are on break at the beginning of June as at the end, so the earlier in the month, the better. The discounts don;t have any effect.

232 Kristin { 05.20.14 at 10:03 pm }

Weird question, but I have to ask. Do you think that the world cup being held in brazil this year will have any impact on the number of brazilian tour groups this summer?

233 Dave { 05.21.14 at 6:34 am }
234 Kristin { 05.21.14 at 6:08 pm }

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a decrease in their numbers this year, even if it’s just a small decrease. I remember being trampled by these kids when I was little.

235 Dave { 05.22.14 at 10:04 am }

Kristin, all the stats are up so far, and expected to continue high the rest of the year…

236 Joe { 05.22.14 at 3:02 pm }

Hi Dave, I have scheduled my family’s trip to be arriving on Dec. 12th and leaving on Dec. 22nd. Request your opinion on those days for crowds and whatever else.

237 Dave { 05.23.14 at 7:33 am }

Joe, crowds will be fine thru the 19th, not so afterward. However, you can run into big crowds if you go to the worng park the wrong day, especially at MK. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/

238 laura { 05.28.14 at 6:25 am }

Hi Dave we are staying from Saturday 25 October until Friday 31 October we missed out on the dining plan by 1 day can you believe it! We are staying at CSR and I have pretty much put the schedule together….but then I thought with the free dining plan I wonder what the impact will be on crowds now? I choose this week for the low crowd levels. I couldnt get a reservation at BOG but I did get my Mickeys not so scary Halloween tickets on the Tuesday 28 October. Thanks Laura

239 Dave { 05.28.14 at 8:28 am }

Laura, free dining has been going on for years, and has no incremental impact on park crowds!

240 Laura { 05.28.14 at 8:47 am }

Great thanks Dave!

241 Barbara { 06.24.14 at 2:02 pm }

we’re planning on going to Disney World this year arriving November the 3rd through the 8th. But now I am hearing about Jersey Week. Does it get overly crowded or am I panicking over nothing?

242 Dave { 06.24.14 at 4:18 pm }
243 Lisa H. { 09.11.14 at 4:24 pm }

Hi Dave.
We want to take our son to WDW in celebration of his 3rd birthday. We can only go on the weekend. Would two days after Thanksgiving, Nov. 29, 2014, be extremely crowded? If so, how would December 6th look instead? I want to go when the crowd is low. Thanks!

244 Dave { 09.12.14 at 9:22 am }

The December dates are better, Lisa!