31 responses

1. Mirela
    January 25, 2019

We decided on a whim to shorten our vacation at Universal and bring the kids (9 and 11) to Disney for two days 4/14 through 4/17 (leaving early in morning). Was this foolish? I can still change back to Universal for the whole week. Am I too late to plan anything? Can I still get dinner reservations? What have I gotten myself into! We’ve never been and I assumed booking flight, hotel and park tickets would be it! We are staying at Animal Kingdom. Should we do just two parks (Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom)? Thanks for any suggestions!

• Dave
      January 26, 2019

So, Mirela, that’s one of the four busiest weeks of 2019, so to make it work you need really good plans and a certain indifference to the mobs that will be around you.

You still have a couple of weeks to plan for your FastPass+ at 60 days, but the most popular table-service dining will be hard to get. Frankly, given the cost of two day tickets then, I would keep the money, and return to WDW during a less crowded period when you can stay longer. If you do decide to go then, my book has one and two day itineraries for each park.

2. Don
    October 16, 2018

First off your site is amazing and your book will be making the trip with us. Apologies if jumping the gun here and/or posting in the wrong page. I’m trying to plan ahead for our trip to Disney 5/8/19-5/14/19 (Wed-Tues). We will have a 10 year old and a 3 year old with us staying at Wilderness Lodge. Is there an itinerary you’d recommend I reference?

Also, given travel times and not wanting to wear out the 3 year old we are considering not going to the parks on our arrival and departure dates and instead enjoying the resort those days (so 5 days at the park with two 1/2 days at the resort0. Is something you would suggest NOT doing or think is a bad idea?

• Dave
      October 18, 2018

Hey Don, and thanks!! Disney’s calendar for then won’t be out for a month or so, so its too early for me to advise on those dates.

With the new FastPass+ system–and the way tickets are priced after after 5 days–there’s a huge benefit to many partial days (whihc give you more pre-booked FP+) rather than a smaller number of longer days. So in fact I would do a seven day ticket, aiming to have most days be half or 2/3 days (if 2/3, it often works well for later-closing parks to take the middle of the day off).

3. Andrea
    July 20, 2018

Got it, thanks so much! I needed to reduce the font size on the kindle to properly see it (funky links were showing up…). Posting this in hopes it this extra tip may help someone else.
    I will for sure reach out for the updates; thanks again!

• Dave
      July 22, 2018

Thanks, Andrea

4. Andrea
    July 19, 2018

Hi Dave…my family is planning 3 days at Disney between August 27-Sept 1. I bought the book off Amazon (it’s great!) but can’t locate the1-2 day park touring plan. We plan to hit Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Any direction on where to find a three day planner in the book is appreciated (tough to navigate on the Kindle!). Thanks in advance. Andrea

• Dave
      July 20, 2018

Hi Andrea, yeah, kindles can be harder than they need to be.

The plans are all in the “Cheat Sheets,” which are at the end of Chapter 6. One way to get to them is to hit your “GO TO” button, select “Beginning,” then page back (tapping the left side) into the table of contents, where after a few pages you’ll find links to the Cheat Sheets.

Note, however, that the HS stuff does not yet include Toy Story Land. We will be publishing an update soon that will include it, so be sure to send read the bit at the end of “Introduction” that tells you how to get your update!

5. Mrsbig
    June 4, 2018

What a great site! We’re looking at the 23rd of September 2018 for about 5 to 6 days. Which itinerary should we use? Can you recommend a good clean and cheap hotel close to the parks? We’re a family of 5.

• Dave
      June 4, 2018

Hi MrsBig and thanks! I don’t have itineraries that short on this site. I suggest you use this page to target days per park, and then use the one and two day per park touring plans you can find in my book.

6. Kristin
    May 8, 2018

My husband and I are taking our 7 (almost 8) year old daughter and 1 year old son to MK on June 20. We will only have one day at the park. How could we make the most of this day, especially given the ages of our kids? My daughter and I will be taking advantage of extra magic hours that night from 10pm-12am. Thank you for your help.

• Dave
      May 9, 2018

Hi Kristin, I’d ignore the one year old in planning (other than using child-swap now and then) and focus on the 8 year old. I don’t have one day MK plans on this site, but you can find them in my book (where child swap is also explained).

7. Caitlin
    January 31, 2018

Hi,I would appreciate any assistance that you could provide me with in regards to our trip itinerary. We are booked for our trip from Aug 20 to Aug 31. It will be myself, my husband, and our two girls aged 7 and 5. We will be staying in the All Star Movies Resort. Also we will have the deluxe dining Plan and 1o theme park days. We want a couple rest days thrown in between the park days but we also want to hit all the best character dining and signature dining as well. Any tips you can give on planning dining and park days to get the most out of our trip? Thanks for your help.

• Dave
      February 1, 2018

Caitlin, for your itinerary I will be able to help, but only after Disney’s calendar for then is out. Right now it’s out only through July 31, and it adds a day each day that passes. So ping me back in a month?

On dining, I suggest you look through the chapter on dining and all of itds reviews in my book.

8. Eric
    August 10, 2016

I absolutly love this site!! I am planning a trip for August of 2017 (arriving on either Sunday the 20th, or the next week, 27th) and I looked for a short itinerary for the summer days, but cannot find one. We plan to stay at the RV park in Fort Wilderness and check out the following Saturday (6 night stay). Am i just not finding it?? Please help me out!!

• Dave
      August 10, 2016

Eric, I don’t have one on this site, but you can build one from the one and two day plans for each park in our book.

9. Dave
    September 6, 2015

OK Amy start with this https://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/12/01/seven-night-fastpass-itinerary-for-high-crowd-periods-at-walt-disney-world/

Do what it shows as Saturday on Sunday
    Leave Monday as it is
    Do what it shows as Weds on Tuesday
    Do what it shows as Sunday on Weds
    Swap Thursday and Fri
    Do what it shows as Tuesday on Sat am
    Do what it shows as Sat am on Sun am

10. Amy
    September 5, 2015

Our daughter will be 9 by March and our son 16.

11. Amy
    August 28, 2015

Your site is awesome! As a first-time visitor, I am learning a lot. What can you suggest for a variation of your high-crowd itinerary….I am looking for a high-crowd, 7 night, arriving on Sunday for the week of March 20, 2016.

• Dave
      August 30, 2015

Amy, how old are your kids?

12. Kate
    February 17, 2015

Hi Dave. I’m taking my 12 year old daughter to WDW for 6 nights arriving 3/28/15. I see an 8 day itinerary for that week and shorter itineraries for lower crowd times. Is there one appropriate for higher crowds? We’re staying off-site. Thanks!

• Dave
      February 18, 2015

Kate, on this site I don’t have anything shorter than 7 nights that suits the wild crowds of that week. Your best bet is to assemble an itinerary from the one and two day plans in Chapter 6 of my book The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit 2015

As an off-siter you have two disadvantages: not being able to make your FP+ til 30 days out, and facing a number of mornings at MK when WDW resort guests get in an hour before you do…

13. Bao
    September 2, 2014

We are planning a trip arriving 1 am on Nov. 8, leaving 6pm on Nov. 11 so we only have 3 and a half day at the park. Two boys 8 & 12, one girl 5. We probably will split some time for the boys and the girl as they will have different interest. Do you have any suggestions re what to do together? What are the must during this short trip?

Thanks very much.

14. Susanne
    August 8, 2014

We will be arriving Aug 16, 2014 and staying for 6 nights, leaving Friday afternoon. Do you recommend your 6 night itinerary arriving Monday and just switching the days or should I use your 7 day and not do the second Saturday. We have 2 adults and 3 teens.

15. Kelly O’COnnor
    April 7, 2014

We will be staying at AoA from May 17-24, 2014 and using 4 day military passes. We have three girls, ages 7, 5 and 3. I’m trying to use your itineraries as a basis for my own, but with only 4 day park passes, we are going to have to utilize one day at each park. I notice most of your itineraries have multiple visits to MK and EPCOT, which I think would be ideal but with only four days, how do you recommend planning with only one day at each park? Should we base it off your 5 or 6 night itinerary even though we will be there for 7? We are thinking of skipping the “hopper” option in order to add 2 days at the waterparks to our military pass for the same price. Just wondering what your recommendation would be.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

• Dave
      April 8, 2014

Hi Kelly! At those ages, I’d skip Epcot, and do two days at MK. I don’t have itineraries that will fit, but see Josh’s cheat sheets: http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

Those dates, avoid MK the 18th, 19th and 22; avoid HS the 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 23rd and 24th, and avoid AK the 17th, 19th, and 24th. You don’t need a hopper–the water park option will be a better use of money!

16. Charlie
    August 11, 2012

dave,
    btw, traveling with my wife, 7yo son, 5yo daughter…

17. Charlie
    August 11, 2012

Going to WDW 2/7-2/14/2013 (Th-Th); itinerary suggestions pls sir?

Charlie