By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2017, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here. PDF version available on Gumroad here.

Pop Century Refurb Update with Coffeemaker!

POP CENTURY REFURB UPDATE

As of this morning (6/5) the first building to be refurbed at Pop Century, the 90s area Building 8, had not yet re-opened. [Update: Building 8 opened later that week!]

What’s left seems to be largely punch-list items.

Being unloaded outside are what appear to be new ice-makers and/or Coke freestyle machines.

Construction fences are being moved to from 90s area Building 8 to 80s area Building 7–which has now kicked off.

Building 7.

More Building 7.

The bed side of a nearly-done room in Building 8.

The coffee-maker side of a nearly-done room.

The sink area.

There’s been speculation about the size of the fold-down bed here. Widely assumed to be a full, with the regular bed a queen, some have reported discussions indicating that the fold-down is a queen too.

I got one bad shot of the fold-down bed folded down:

In real life the foot looked much closer to being about where the foot of the queen was. Since I think the bed system requires clearance at the head for the depth of the bed to rotate, this suggests to me that it is in fact a full.

(After these rooms opened, reports that it is a queen continue to come out. None–so far as I know–show the tape measure used to confirm this, so I’m gonna remain a bit agnostic on this for the moment.)

Rooms in the 80s area Building 9 are also being worked on. A to-do list:

So to sum up:

• Building 8 is nearly done, and the new rooms include coffeemakers!
  • Building 9 is completely underway
  • Building 7 has just kicked off

There’s more on this Pop Century refurb here.

The 2017 easy Guide

Kelly B Can Help You Book Your Trip

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Jess { 06.05.17 at 5:40 pm }

When do you think they will start in the 60’s? I’m hoping after our late August trip!

2 Dave { 06.06.17 at 9:51 am }

Jess nobody really knows. My guess is that at least one of the 60s buildings will be available, un-refurbed, during your trip!

3 Britt { 06.12.17 at 7:36 pm }

I am really interested to see your review on these new rooms. My kids have never been too keen on the Little Mermaid and from what we’ve seen so far the decor here with the refurb looks pretty spectacular.

4 Dave { 06.13.17 at 8:31 am }

Britt, I hope to stay in one in my July visit to Pop!!

5 Samantha { 06.14.17 at 6:27 pm }

Is the food court getting coke freestylers?? I haven’t seen anything about a food court update?

6 Dave { 06.15.17 at 9:05 am }

Samantha, not that I have heard.

7 Eric { 06.16.17 at 12:03 pm }

Hey Dave, just an FYI, I saw a video tour online of the new rooms and it said the pull-down was a queen. However even in the vid it looked a touch smaller than the other.
There’s also one element you didn’t really touch on that I found to be very interesting…Wood floors! (Perhaps it’s laminate, but whatever it is, it isn’t carpet). Cleaner look for sure. Bit more sanitary too. But as some people noted, the noise level is surely to rise. I’ve only seen wood floors in high-end boutiques, so I’m interested to hear the feedback from the guests…

8 Matt { 06.16.17 at 4:00 pm }

Hey Dave –

We are headed back in July; have you heard if building 9 is completed yet?

Thx for all your work on the site!

Thx,
MB

9 Dave { 06.17.17 at 9:57 am }

Hey Eric, I’ve seen reports it’s a queen all over the place. In the absence of a photo of a tape measure, though, I’m gonna remain agnostic on this issue til I see a tape measure or measure it myself (hopefully on my July stay here). I did update the words to reflect the queen reports.

Wooden floors have been common in recent Disney refurbs–dating back, I think, to the 2014 Boulder Ridge Villas refurb. They are also going in at Coronado Springs; Pop is the first value to go into a refurb cycle since they became seemingly a default.

10 Dave { 06.17.17 at 9:58 am }

Matt, 8 is done. I think it’s possible that 9 will be done by early July.

11 Cindy { 06.19.17 at 3:16 pm }

Wise Dave, what is your take on the possibly of requesting and getting a refurbished Pop Century room for mid August?

12 Cindy { 06.19.17 at 3:54 pm }

And Wise Dave, we already have reservations for Pop Century.

13 Dave { 06.21.17 at 7:47 am }

Cindy, by then I’d expect 2-3 of the ten buildings to be refurbed, and 1-2 to be closed for refurb. That puts your odds between 20% and 40%, higher if you request the 80s or 90s and don’t face an unusual number of people also requesting those buildings…