September 2014 at Walt Disney World

OVERVIEW: SEPTEMBER 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD

September 2014 at Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netThis page reviews September 2014 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, and operating hours; adds a few other notes; and ends with week by week summaries.

September combines low crowds with low prices, and typically also has a great room rate and free dining deals as well.

This makes it a great month for returning visitors.

But it has lousy weather, combining continuing summer heat and humidity with the peak of the hurricane season, making me not so keen on the month for first time visitors who may never return.

SEPTEMBER 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

September is one of the least crowded months at Walt Disney World–though I am one of the few forecasting higher than normal crowds in September 2014 as an aftereffect of the World Cup on South American vacation patterns.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 8/30 has a crowd rating of 2/lower, the week beginning 9/6 1/lowest, the week beginning 9/13 3/low, the week beginning 9/20 2/lower and the week beginning 9/27 3/low.

However, once the Halloween Party and the Food and Wine Festival begin, you can face higher waits if you go to the parks on the wrong days.  See this for how to avoid these crowds.

See this for more on 2014 crowds at Disney World.

SEPTEMBER 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

September hotel prices begin the month at near their lowest levels of the year at all resort types.

Prices remain at this level at the deluxes until September 26th, when they are 15% higher than the lowest of the year.

Prices go up a bit at the values and moderates on September 13, at the values to 15% higher than the lowest of the year, and at the moderates to 10% higher.

See this for more on 2014 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

SEPTEMBER 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for September 2014. Find the details here.

SEPTEMBER 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

September weather is hot and humid, with afternoon storms common.  It is about as bad as Orlando weather gets.

Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

The hurricane season officially begins on June 1, but hurricanes are rarely a threat until mid-August.

The peak of the hurricane season begins then and continues into early October. Hurricanes rarely have an impact on a Disney World vacation, but all of September is in the period when they are most likely.

SPECIAL EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party kicks off September 1.

The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival begins September 19.

SEPTEMBER 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR SEPTEMBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

2014 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World Ranked in Order v2Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

8/30/2014 Lower prices at values and moderates, lowest prices at deluxes. Lower crowds. Crowd ranking=2. Week ranking=21. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary, but swap Tuesday and Second Saturday, and also Monday and Thursday, in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

9/6/2014 Prices lower at values and moderates, lowest at deluxes. Lowest crowds. Crowd ranking=1. Week ranking=20. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary

9/13/2014 Prices low at values and moderates, lowest at deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=24.  Use Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary, but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

9/20/2014 Prices low at values and moderates, lower at deluxes. Lower crowds. Crowd ranking=2. Week ranking=22. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

9/27/2014 Prices low at values and moderates, moderate at deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=26. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Anonymous { 02.20.14 at 9:09 pm }

Hi, Dave. If I’m reading September crowd level charts correctly, you are rating the week of 9/20 as having lower crowds than the week of 9/13, while others seem to be rating 9/13 with lower crowds than the week of 9/20. Can you give me some insight as to why you believe 9/20 week have lower crowd levels? Also, with Food and Wine beginning a week earlier than past years, does this change your thoughts on predicted crowd levels? I’m looking at a nine-night visit starting on 9/11, 9/18, or 9/25, with my preferences listed in reverse order; however, crowd levels are my number one priority, with the opportunity for free dining my second priority.

2 Dave { 02.21.14 at 7:58 am }

For the week of the 13th, see the entries for July and September here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/09/16/walt-disney-world-crowds-in-2014-whats-up-and-whats-new/

Food and Wine coming earlier will have little impact on park-wide crowds the week of the 20th. All it will do is crowd Epcot a little more in the evenings–particularly on the weekends. I am guessing that the earlier Food and Wine means that free dining, if offered, will have its end arrival date a week earlier than last year–when it ended 9/25.

3 Jeff { 02.25.14 at 8:55 am }

My question is similar to the first poster’s. Before I knew about the start of F&W I was leaning toward a 9/20 arrival. Now I’m wondering if 9/13 would be better, especially if your above comment about Free Dining holds true. This stuff is so easy to overthink, but Free Dining is by far the best deal for our family and the 180 booking mark is fast approaching. I know FD isn’t guaranteed, but we picked September with hopes of getting it.

With a 9/20 arrival, would you still hold to your recommended itinerary (which has visitors in EPCOT on the first night), considering that it’s the first Saturday of F&W? Won’t EPCOT crowds be higher than normal that day? Or all things considered would you rate a 9/13 arrival higher?

4 Mabel { 02.25.14 at 9:42 am }

Hi Dave! I’m planning on arriving to WDW on Sept 12th staying @ Contemporary Resort until Sept 22th. Any recommendations on the itinerary??? I am travelling alone with my 7 yr old daughter. Second time visiting WDW, she has only visited MK, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and Sea World.
On the downtime will like to take her to other parks as well.
We will have the dinning plan. Any recommendations on where to eat? Shows?
Thanks so much for your help!!!! :)

5 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:18 pm }

Jeff, all things considered I would rate 9/13 higher if the issue is the potential for free dining. And yes–for those staying at a WDW hotel, I’d still do Epcot that first evening despite the F&W crowds, as scheduled FastPass+ makes it much easier to enjoy a park during a late arrival…

6 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:20 pm }

Mabel, see this–it’s not an exact fit to your arrival dates, but if you start it Saturday it’ll do great! Note that it includes recommended dining. http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/01/14/fastpass-itinerary-for-lower-crowd-weeks/

7 Jeff { 02.26.14 at 11:24 am }

Thanks for the input Dave. Out of curiosity, what does your gut tell you about Free Dining during October? You rate the weeks of 10/18 and 10/25 in your top 10, and Disney did run FD during that period last year (which probably means nothing for 2014, I know).

We aren’t first timers, but your week rankings still hold value even after many visits, I’ve found. We did your #1 week in 2012 and LOVED it, and it happened to have Free Dining to boot!

8 Lisa { 02.26.14 at 12:46 pm }

FYI for the free dining in September last year they did do it for people that booked the Art of Animation which is great but unfortunately people that booked the little mermaid room were unable to take advantage of it. We did go in midseptember last year Sept 14 thru 18 and the crowds were very low. This year we are going to do the Sept 20-25 hoping that they do the free dining too.

9 philip { 02.26.14 at 1:44 pm }

Any predictions on the free dining for this September?

10 Dave { 02.27.14 at 8:10 am }

Jeff–my gut is not a chance…but of course I hope I’m wrong!!! And thanks for the kind words…

11 Dave { 02.27.14 at 8:13 am }

Philip I am still noodling over this. I suspect it will happen, but am not strongly convinced it will. I’ll write a post about my reasoning (hah if you can call it that!) sometime in early March…

12 Marguerite { 03.12.14 at 8:32 am }

I am coming from Ireland to Orlando 2/9/2014 – 16/9/2014 as most people would be aware our weather in Ireland is a hit or miss and now I am regretting booking in September in case it rains all the time. Do you think from past experience this would be the case or should we just go with it and just hope for the best with the weather?

Thanks

13 Dave { 03.13.14 at 7:33 am }

Marguerite, there’s a lot to like about those dates, especially low crowds and low prices. Brief afternoon thunderstorms are common, and they are in the peak of the hurricane season. Hurricanes are rare, and even more rarely affect Disney World…

14 Lisa { 03.17.14 at 5:53 pm }

we have gone 3 times in september and have been rather lucky with the weather. We had only two incidents that it rained and both times were for short periods. One for two hours and the other for about 20 minutes. It is hit or miss but was fine for us.

15 Dave { 03.18.14 at 7:18 am }

Thanks, Lisa!

16 MO { 03.18.14 at 9:48 am }

Hi
Thanks for your informative info.First time visitor to WDW from South Africa (13-23 Sept 2014).Please can you explain what the 180 days before means ? do i have to book 180 days before arrival ?Question being , i was waiting for FD than to book.Kindly elaborate

17 Dave { 03.19.14 at 7:04 am }

MO, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-your-plans-need-to-be-firm/

You don’t have to book dining 180 days before, but if you don’t you may be shut out of the most popular venues. If the deal you are hoping for does not transpire, you can always cancel your bookings.

18 Marguerite { 03.27.14 at 10:23 am }

Thanks Dave as I said coming from Ireland and it rains 80% of the time I think I could live with a couple of showers :)
Another thing that I have read is about the love bugs!! Yuck
Does everywhere be covered with these bugs? I know they don’t bite or sting but the thought of eating outside and these all over food is a bit crazy.

19 Dave { 03.28.14 at 6:30 am }

Marguerite love bugs are an issue if you drive your own car–they mess up the finish. This is not a likely circumstance for you! Otherwise they are at worst a trivial annoyance, noticed largely at the pools…

20 Marguerite { 03.28.14 at 8:06 am }

21 Patty { 03.29.14 at 11:10 pm }

We booked a trip for sept 25-30. I am traveling with my 6&4 year old girls who are crazy for princesses! Per your suggestion, I was planning on booking the Polynesian, but I read about the pool closure. This probably won’t be our only time to Disney and I suspect because of my girls’ ages, we will be spending a good amount of time at the pool (weather permitting). What’s your opinion on the best resort option with these specs?

22 Lara Gordon { 03.30.14 at 1:45 am }

Just refining my itinerary before I start booking all our meals starting in the next 2 days!
Do you think we should do Busch Gardens with 9, 7 and 5 year old kids? I heard someone say that the rides are aimed at teens and adults and not much for kids there? Its just that we are going to Discovery Cove and it was only an extra $20 each to do Busch Gardens but if its going to be a waste of time don’t want to travel all the way and tire out the kids before we get to WDW.
Can I please get your thoughts on this?
Thanks so much for all your help so far!

23 Lara Gordon { 03.30.14 at 5:27 am }

And in addition to my question about Busch Gardens above I also have 2 more quick questions sorry. If my kids do the pirate adventure cruise do you know if it is best from the Grand Floridian, Port Orleans, Yacht and Beach Club or Carribean – or are they all the same? And should we try and fit in dinner at Be My Guest so we can meet the beast and dine in that castle?

24 Dave { 03.31.14 at 7:45 am }

Patty, for an MK focused trip the Contemporary is the next best choice. Its pools are dull–but open!–and the ability to walk back and forth from the Contemporary to MK is a delight…

25 Dave { 03.31.14 at 7:45 am }

Sorry, Lara, I don’t really have an opinion on Busch Gardens…I can barely keep up with Disney World!

26 Dave { 03.31.14 at 7:50 am }

Lara, I don;t have an opinion on the Pirate Cruises either! Am I second rate or what.

BOG is a great venue for adults, but not as fun as Cinderella, Chef Mickey’s, Crystal Palace, Hoop Dee Doo, or Akershus for kids…If you’ve already covered those, then by all means shoot for it!

27 Liz Gros { 05.02.14 at 1:08 am }

Hey Dave,

My husband and I are planning on going Sept 1-9th to WDW but I am hesitant about booking hotels right now. Do you think it would be cheaper if I book later on? Will there potentially be another special offer deal for room rates?

We also have our passes but there are no discounts or special offers posted yet for the month of September.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Liz

28 Dave { 05.02.14 at 7:03 am }

Liz, I expect deals for then to come out as early as next Wednesday…

29 ChrisB { 05.08.14 at 2:40 pm }

My wife, 5 y.o. daughter, and I are coming to Disney World in Sept. Checking in on Sunday Sept 28 and checking out on Sat Oct 4th. What changes would you suggest to the FastPass+ Lower Crowd Itinerary for this week. Epcot is not recommended for Sun night nor is Hollywood Studios. We were thinking of MK for dinner and the parade and fireworks but the Halloween Party is that night also! Should we brave Epcot for dinner and a show?
ChrisB

30 Dave { 05.09.14 at 7:48 am }

Chris, the itinerary is written for kids 8 and older, so with a five year old I would not use it as a starting point at all. At that age I’d skip Epcot entirely, spend a couple of days at MK, and a half day at each of HS and AK.The 28th why don’t you aim for a character dinner at a resort? Chef Mickeys or 1900 Park Fare, for example…

31 ChrisB { 05.09.14 at 10:48 am }

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Any news on when your book will be available for purchase?

32 Dave { 05.10.14 at 7:38 am }

ChrisB, we are hoping for a publication date this month!!

33 George { 07.04.14 at 12:32 pm }

Thanks to all of you who have put this web-site together. I often recommend it to my friends. Even though I’ve been to WDW more than 15x, I find the info here very helpful and informative. Whenever I plan a trip to WDW I usually spend a good deal of time researching when and where to stay. Your web-site saves me tons of time in that you already done all of the research. Tank-You ever so much! I also use TouringPlans, and Daves Vacation Club. You folks are awesome!!!!

34 Dave { 07.06.14 at 9:47 am }

Thanks George–it’s just little old me though!!

35 George { 07.07.14 at 5:31 am }

Job well done Dave….

36 Dave { 07.07.14 at 9:05 am }
37 Aimee { 07.07.14 at 10:03 pm }

Love your site and appreciate all your work.
We are planning a trip for the fall to do MNSSHP again (used your plan last year.
Not my family’s 1st trip but traveling with close friends and it will be theirs.
Do you recommend sept 28-10/4 or going in oct 18-25? I love the October weather but sept deals are tempting. Because it is their first trip with a 5-year old I want to go the best option!

38 Dave { 07.08.14 at 10:03 am }

Aimee, September wins on every dimension but weather. If you know your friends will be able to return later, then the weather matters less. If this may be their only visit, I’d do late October to avoid the peak of the hurricane season.

39 Jenn { 07.13.14 at 10:22 pm }

We are looking at going to Disney right AFTER Labor Day (9/3-9/7) because we figured that since students would be all heading back that Tuesday after Labor Day it seemed like a low crowd. What are your thoughts? Or should we attempt another time in Sept. like 9/17-9/21?! Thanks!

40 Dave { 07.15.14 at 7:24 am }

Jenn, all of September after Labor Day is low-crowd, and even Labor day isn’t bad as most kids are in school befroe then You’ll find some variations in weekly forecasts across the month, but it’s all good.

However, picking the right day to go to each park is critical during the “party season” from Sept thru mid-Dec. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/

41 Lisa { 07.16.14 at 11:06 pm }

Hi Dave
My family and I will he heading to WDW this September 19 for 7 days. Will the park prices be cheaper because it is down time?
Thank you.

42 Dave { 07.17.14 at 7:41 am }

Hi Lisa! There are no changes to park ticket prices based on expected crowds. The changes you see for such are instead in hotel prices (see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/07/11/walt-disney-world-2014-price-seasons/ ) and the availability of good hotel deals (see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/03/03/summary-of-current-walt-disney-world-deals-and-discounts/ )

43 Meera { 07.18.14 at 2:50 am }

We are looking to travel to Orlando from 11th – 14th Sep to visit Disney parks. We have an international flight to catch there after. Wondering if it is worth taking the risk to travel to Orlando at this time given that it is the peak of the hurricane season. What do you suggest? I don’t want us getting stuck at Orlando and missing the rest of our itinerary.

44 Dave { 07.18.14 at 7:28 am }

Meera, great question. The short answer is that while hurricanes hardly ever have an impact, sometimes they do. Airlines bend over backwards to fix this, but your dates may get messed up. At minimum, I’d get travel insurance…

45 donna { 07.21.14 at 2:37 pm }

Hi I have gone to Disney every other year and usually try to hit free dining. I m going again with grsndkuds sept or Oct ( early) 2015. Does Disney usually start dining on Sundays?

46 Dave { 07.21.14 at 4:21 pm }
47 Mike { 07.21.14 at 5:18 pm }

whats your prediction on magic kingdom on labor day for both the day and the halloween party? I’m doing both since I want my son to get to ride the rides all day and then focs on halloween stuff at night…also, what park would you recommend for sunday aug 31? Im debating holloywood for the froze stuff but if its a mob scene would re-assess….thanks..

48 Dave { 07.22.14 at 6:05 am }

Mike, MK will be great on 9/1, and HS on 8/31!

49 Ann { 07.25.14 at 9:18 am }

Hello. We from SA and arriving on 3 Sep until 12 Sep. I have a few questions:
1. What is the temperatures like ? (in degrees, if possible)
2. should we be packing warm clothes? or will shorts for my sons (5 &8) be fine
3. Is halal food easily accessible?
4. I need help with deciding which park to visit when. pls help

50 Ann { 07.25.14 at 9:35 am }

Hello. We from SA and arriving on 3 Sep until 12 Sep. I have a few questions:
1. What is the temperatures like ?
2. should we be packing warm clothes? or will shorts for my sons (5 &8) be fine
3. Is halal food easily accessible?
4. I need help with deciding which park to visit when. pls help

51 Dave { 07.26.14 at 9:14 am }

Ann, for temperatures and such, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/02/18/september-2014-at-walt-disney-world/ It is likely to be quite hot. There’s not a ton of halal at WDW, but kosher is widely available, and is often viewed as an adequate substitute. See this: http://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?pgm=2&pid=46&cid=85&qid=37767

On which parks to visit, I’d suggest 2-3 days at the Magic Kingdom, and one each at the Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. The fourth park is Epcot, whihc might be dull for your 5 year old.

Here’s parks to avoid by day:

9/3: Avoid AK
9/4: Avoid MK
9/5: Avoid Epcot
9/6: Avoid HS
9/7: Avoid MK, AK
9/8: Avoid HS
9/9: Avoid Epcot
9/10: Avoid MK, Epcot
9/11 Avoid MK
9/12: Avoid AK

You need to book your FastPass+ and dining ASAP. For more on this, inlcuding step by step instructions, see my book The Easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit

52 Nic { 09.10.14 at 12:52 pm }

Hey Dave, still undecided on honeymoon dates. Tearing my hair out. We’re flexible to do anytime of year. The toss up is between sept 19th for 2 weeks including a bahamas cruise or November 9th for 2 weeks with the cruise. What would you do??

53 Dave { 09.11.14 at 7:26 am }

Nic, September is still in the peak of the hurricane season, but November is much cooler and with more variable weather. So I’d do neither–I’d pick the second half of October.

54 Jacqueline { 09.11.14 at 9:14 am }

Hi
We are travelling to WDW from 09/16-09/24. I’m worried our vacation will be ruined with rain and thunderstorms. Are they usually just occasional during the day or is it all day rain and thunderstorms?