Disney World Crowds: Spring Break 2014

DISNEY WORLD SPRING BREAK CROWDS FROM FEBRUARY THROUGH APRIL 2014

When to Go to Disney World in 2014 from yourfirstvisit.net

DISNEY WORLD SPRING BREAK CROWDS: THE PRINCIPLES

Walt Disney World Spring Break crowds are governed by two and a quarter factors:

• Public school Spring Break calendars, which are still largely framed around Easter
  • The demand of snow-belters for a break from winter weather, which peaks in March, and
  • The quarter factor, the date of President’s day.  Later President’s Days (which can range from February 15 to February 21) tend to make the first part of March better

An early Easter combines the first two factors, making for more than the usual horrible crowds in March but a great April; a late Easter spreads the first two factors out, yielding some good early March and early April weeks.

Easter 2014, on April 20, is very late in the possible range. President’s Day 2014, on February 17th, is in the middle of its possible range.

As a result, 2014 Spring Break crowds at Walt Disney World will be

• Fine the last week of February and the first week of March,
  • Very rough the weeks beginning March 8, 15, and 22
  • Better the week beginning March 29
  • Fine the week beginning April 5,
  • Horrible the week of April 12
  • Bad, but not horrible, the week beginning April 19
  • ..and back to fine the week beginning April 26

2014 PUBLIC SCHOOL SPRING BREAKS AND THEIR EFFECTS ON WALT DISNEY WORLD CROWDS

Although more and more school districts are moving away from an Easter-centered Spring Break, the plurality of kids still have the week before Easter off, and, in years without a late Easter,  the next biggest group has off some or all of the week following Easter.

As a result, the single biggest factor determining better and worse Spring Break weeks at Walt Disney World is the date of Easter–which can range from March 22 to April 25.

A later Easter has a couple of different effects: first, it spreads out the dates of breaks for school districts that don’t frame their breaks around Easter, and second, if particularly late, will push districts that typically take the week after Easter off into the week before Easter instead, to keep from compressing their May academic calendars.  We see both these factors in 2014.

An earlier Easter has the opposite effects.  Districts that traditionally try to take the week after Easter off will be able to do so, and districts that don’t base their calendars on Easter will be largely  compressed into a couple of March weeks.

(The compression point partly comes from only just so much March to go around, but also from the fact that such school districts don’t like taking the week before the traditional Easter break off, as it will lead into a set of political discussions (“If we could take that week off, why not slip it a week and take before week of Easter off? What do you have against Easter??”) that they don’t want to revisit.)

The date of President’s Day–which can range from February 15 to February 21–also has an effect. Because many districts both have a spring break and also take the week of  President’s Day off, the later President’s Day is, the better early March will be–as parents avoid taking their kids out of school the weeks after a long President’s Day break.

The effect of the various dates in 2014 is to spread most 2014 school spring breaks into five weeks: those beginning March 8, March 15, March 22, April 12, and April 19.

ACTUAL 2014 SPRING BREAKS

Kids on Spring Break  in 2014 from yourfirstvisit.netThe chart above illuminates this.

It’s based on data from a weighted sample including more than 180 of the largest relevant US public school districts.

(For how the database is built, see this. The two holidays–President’s Day and Easter–are in red. Click the image to enlarge it.)

President’s Day week will be its usual mess, with a 2014 crowd ranking of 10/higher.  Crowds will start to show beginning the Thursday before and remain high through the 22nd.

Next to no kids are on break between the week after President’s Day and March 7. I rate the week beginning February 22 3/low crowds.  The week beginning March 1 is rated 4/low-plus crowds. Both of these are recommended weeks.

The weeks beginning March 8, 15 and 22 have a lot of kids on break, and even more visitors coming to take a break from the snow. I rate the week of the 8th as 10/higher crowds, and the next two weeks as 9/high crowds.

The week of March 29 shows a lot of kids on break, but almost 80% of the relevant districts in my sample have another long break at another time in the spring of 2014.  This, combined with fewer snow visits as April emerges, lead me to give at crowd ranking of 5/moderate-minus.

As is typical, the week before the week before Easter has hardly any kids on break. So the crowd ranking for the week beginning April 5 is 3/low. This is also a recommended week.

The week before Easter, beginning April 12, will be just horrible. I’ve rated this week 11/highest crowds in my 2014 crowd calendar. Many districts that normally break the week after Easter are, because of the late Easter, breaking this week instead.  Disney broke attendance records this week in 2013–I expect it to do so again this week in 2014.

The week after Easter, traditionally a mess, looks better than usual in 2014–again, because of break dates changing to earlier with the late Easter.  I’ve rated crowds that week (beginning April 19) as 8/high-minus.

1 Jennifer M { 08.14.13 at 10:13 am }

AWESOME!! It’s looking like we got the right week. Feb. 28 – Mar 9. My kids are getting so excited. I recieved a Disney planning DVD in the mail, so they are glued to it. Dave thanks so much for all of this info.

2 Dave { 08.15.13 at 7:31 am }

You bet, Jennifer!

3 AN { 08.16.13 at 7:47 am }

Hi.
We are contemplating coming to Disney either: March 30th to April 6, 2014 OR April 6 to April 13, 2014. Any suggestions on which week would be better for less crowds or are they both good in this sense? Thanks!

4 Dave { 08.16.13 at 8:02 am }

An, the dates beginning April 6 will be better–up until April 12, when the Easter zoo will begin…

5 Lisa { 08.16.13 at 11:56 am }

Hi! My children have off April 18th through the 25th. Is it really gonna be unmanagable?
Thanks so much!

6 Dave { 08.17.13 at 8:49 am }

Lisa, I would go a different time if it were my family. While becasue of the late Easter the latter par tof your dates–the 22nd and on–will be better than in recent years, it will still totally stink!

7 Joanne { 08.18.13 at 2:36 pm }

Hi, we are on holiday 29th March until 12th April. Do you think the crowd levels will be okay for these 2 weeks? Thanks.

8 Dave { 08.19.13 at 7:08 am }

Hi Joanne! The week of the 29th will be moderately crowded, and the week of the 5th should be fine!

9 AN { 08.21.13 at 8:16 am }

One more question! Thinking of coming in last week of February before the spring break crowd hits….what is your take on WDW the week of Feb. 21 to Feb. 28th, 2014? I went on this website and found this chart….says low crowds for end of February…would you agree? thanks!

10 Dave { 08.21.13 at 9:20 am }

That’s my chart, AN!!

11 AN { 08.22.13 at 9:46 am }

LOL…oops….so, is it safe to say the week of 2/21 to 2/28 is a ‘good’ week to go? thanks for all your input….(:

12 Dave { 08.22.13 at 10:44 am }

Yes, AN!

13 Matt { 08.28.13 at 9:48 am }

I think you really nailed it on your spring break analysis. Very valuable information.

I’m feeling really good about our planned April 26 to May 10 trip even though a lot of people have been telling me the crowds will still be bad then because Easter is so late (I think they’re wrong because almost all school districts will be done with spring break by the weekend of the 26/27th and I don’t anticipate Easter crowds lingering beyond that weekend, especially since, in 2014, the worst Easter crowds will be the week before Easter).

14 Leah { 08.28.13 at 3:26 pm }

Hi Dave! FAB site! I am wondering if we can combine a family vacation (5 and 8 yo) into my prof’l conference at Orlando March 26th-29th, 2014-extending to possibly 4/2 or so. We did our 1st trip Dec 6-13, 2010- a great time to do WDW! Would this time of year be a big mistake?? Maybe better for just a mom/dad shorter get away to take in Harry Potter world at Universal? If family, we’d try for Art of Anim resort-it’s during the flower festival, right? So torn… thoughts?

15 Dave { 08.29.13 at 6:58 am }

Thanks Matt-and I agree with you completely!

Was this even remotely helpful? Then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

16 Dave { 08.29.13 at 7:03 am }

Leah, I have a simple answer to this: if the temptation to go to Disney World (or Harry Potter) emerges…seize it.

17 GoldChain { 09.15.13 at 4:53 pm }

Great charts. Exactly what a Disney freak who happens to be a geek loves to see! We typically visit in November before T’Giving or the first couple of weeks of December, so trying to plan anything outside of that timeframe is unknown to us. So all of your charts are a great help!!!

18 Dave { 09.16.13 at 10:00 am }

Thanks GoldChain! Glad the charts are both interesting and helpful!

Well then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

19 John Hansen { 09.19.13 at 11:23 am }

Why do you refer to a week “beginning” on a Saturday? Also, where does this “following 9 days” concept come in. I guess an example would explain it to me best. If your crowd calendar says week of April 12th is terrible, what exact dates are you including? Thanks!!!

20 Dave { 09.19.13 at 5:14 pm }

John, my recommended itineraries are 9 days and 8 nights, beginning on a Saturday and running to the next Sunday. See e.g. http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/alternative-itineraries/ For consistency, on this site a “week” thus begins on a Saturday and runs to the next Sunday…

21 Paul Wade { 10.02.13 at 6:53 am }

We are travelling from the UK between 26th February and 12th March 2014. How much will we be affected by spring break ?
Thanks
Paul

22 Dave { 10.03.13 at 7:38 am }

Hi Paul, the first part of your visit should be fine. Crowds will build the 7th and 8th and be heavy beginning the 9th.

23 Gwen { 10.14.13 at 5:51 pm }

We will be arriving March 30 and staying til April 5th. I read that you think it will be moderately crowded. Do you think that it will be better or worse than the end of Jul/beginning of August this past year(2013). We were there then. Just wanted your opinion to compare. We’ve never gone in the spring, but it’s a special occasion. Thank you!!!

24 Dave { 10.15.13 at 7:14 am }

Hi Gwen, it will be better than your July/August dates (and have much better weather!)

25 Chasity { 10.20.13 at 10:45 pm }

We are thinking about coming in on March 30 and staying through April 5, 2014. I see where you have already said that will be a moderate crowded time. What does that mean, exactly? This is our spring break week. I don’t want to spend this much money if it is going to be extremely crowded and the lines are extremely long. Would the end of April, first week of May be better?

26 Dave { 10.21.13 at 10:02 am }

Chasity, the end of April/first week of May would be much better!!

27 Jamie { 11.01.13 at 2:06 pm }

Thinking of going either last week in February or the beginning of May. I know both times are great for low crowds but what about weather? I know its Florida but what is the weather like in February vs May?

28 Dave { 11.02.13 at 10:15 am }

Jamie, February weather is highly variable, and can be quite cold. May is more consistently good. See http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/next-best-dates/weather-and-when-to-go/high-temperatures-year-round/

29 Clare { 12.09.13 at 9:17 pm }

We scheduled a plane from Pittsburgh to West Palm Beach Airport from April 17 – 21, 2014. Now deciding where to go for beach, nice pools. Thought about Typhoon Lagoon at Disney. What do you think?

30 Dave { 12.10.13 at 7:34 am }

Hiya Clare! Honestly, I think that’s a way long drive to just end up at a water park…

31 Maria { 12.13.13 at 11:05 pm }

We are planning our first visit with kids ranging 4-7. How would the crowd be on April 9-17? Another option is to go anytime from Aug 16-30 for at least 8days. Which of the two is a better time to come? Thank you!

32 Dave { 12.15.13 at 10:10 am }

Maria, crowds will be fine until April 12, and will be a zoo thereafter. I would go with your August option, the later in the month the better!

33 Missy { 12.26.13 at 11:43 am }

I have a trip booked for April 19-25 with my 3 girls ages 3-8. It will be my 3 yr old’s 1st time. Is this a time I should avoid? Other Options are weeks 8/30-9/5 or 10/11-10/17. Thanks.

34 Dave { 12.26.13 at 1:18 pm }
35 Sam { 01.04.14 at 1:55 pm }

Hi dave ive booked a family holiday to stay on international drive from mar 17th to 7th april will it be really busy then at the parks? Thanks

36 Dave { 01.05.14 at 9:00 am }

Sam, it will quite crowded the first 2/3 of your visit, but should be tolerable the last third. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/

37 Chris { 01.06.14 at 12:20 pm }

How would you compare the week of Spring Break , April 12-19, to the week prior to Christmas? My family has visited at Christmas( 12-17 thru 12-24-09) and it was very busy.

38 Dave { 01.07.14 at 8:14 am }

Chris, the April week is better–crowds, while horrible, aren’t nearly as bad as Xmas week…

39 Kate { 01.08.14 at 2:24 pm }

Hi! WOW this site is fantastic! We are going to Palm Coast the week of spring break, March 23-29. We want to drive over 2 days to spend at the parks. We did a week in September, so really we just want to do two days this time. Which two days of this week do you think would be the best? Tuesday and Wednesday? THANK YOU!

40 Dave { 01.09.14 at 5:14 am }

Hi Kate and thanks! The days I’d recommend will vary by which park you intend to visit–e.g. MK is better Tuesday and Wednesday, but Epcot will be bad Tuesday and AK Wednesday…so let me know!

41 Sid M { 01.10.14 at 12:40 am }

Dave

Same applies for Disneyland I would assume?

Thanks
Sid

42 Dave { 01.10.14 at 7:16 am }

Sid–I can’t say that it does. They have very different geographic draws, and I weight my raw data based on WDW attendance by state (I use the distribution of visitors to this site by state as my proxy for that.) Disneyland is MUCH more dominated by Southern California school schedules…

43 Danh vo { 01.13.14 at 10:39 pm }

Hi, i plan to go to WDW on march 18th to 26th, do you think is it a good time for the Disney parks? Do you the parks will be crowed? Thank you to give me an answer

44 Dave { 01.14.14 at 7:55 am }

Danh–I have those dates as high crowd. See http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/

45 Kate { 01.14.14 at 11:21 am }

We are doing MK both days, so Tuesday and Wednesday it is! THANK YOU!

46 Dave { 01.15.14 at 7:10 am }

Yay, Kate!

47 Andy { 01.21.14 at 4:35 pm }

My wife and I are both teachers and are planning on taking our 4 and 5 year old daughters for their first visit during our spring break 4/20 through 4/23. We really don’t have many other options for dates when it won’t be extremely hot. I am wondering how much the crowds will effect us. We are staying on Disney properties. Will the ‘extra magic hours’ help? Also, my kids will be too small to ride many of the more popular attractions (only doing Magic Kingdom) Would that alleviate some of the crowd problems at all?

48 Audrey { 01.22.14 at 1:08 am }

We were planning March 9th through the 11th…we have a 4 year old and a 2 year old… Thinking about Epcot, Disney World, and the last day, Animal Kingdom. Do you think these dates would be ok for crowds because it’s sun, Mon, Tue?? Thanks for your info… It’s very helpful!

49 Dave { 01.22.14 at 7:43 am }

Andy, the Extra Magic hours and expected 8a opens (so EMH will being at 7a) will help a bit, so your first 90-120 minutes should be OK. … (other than MK becasue it will have them every day) the parks will be more crowded than non-EMH days after. Book your FastPass+ for late morning, and plan to take the afternoons off. And there will be tons of other kids the ages of yours who also can’t get on some of the rides, so the age-appropriate stuff will be mobbed too…

50 Dave { 01.22.14 at 8:03 am }

Audrey, that’s a very busy week to start with and Sundays and Mondays (plus Saturdays) are usually busier than the rest of the week. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/

Disney World has four theme parks–the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, the Animal Kingdom, and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. At those ages and wit such a short trip during a high crowd week, I’d focus on MK alone–you could easily spend three mornings, an afternoon, and an evening there. If you wish to add parks, mornings at HS and AK make sense too, but not Epcot.

51 Stuart { 01.24.14 at 7:39 am }

Hi Dave. I am planning to come to Disney for a 10-14 night stay depending on Price etc.
I am looking at arriving either 31st March or 30th April. Which of these 10-14 periods from these dates would you say is more suitable in terms of crowds and weather (we are travelling from UK with a 4 year old) Many thanks for your help.

52 Dave { 01.24.14 at 2:07 pm }

Stuart, if 2014, then 30 April is a better arrival date on all measures–crowds, prices, and weather!

53 sara { 01.24.14 at 10:49 pm }

loving ur site..question..it will be just my 13yr old boy and myself..where do u suggest staying (4 nights) on a budget and a good time to go in the spring will take him out of school coming from Pennsylvania did Disney once in 2008 thanks

54 Dave { 01.25.14 at 7:52 am }

Hi Sara and thanks!

For where to stay, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/ and for the ebst weeks in the spring, go down this list: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

55 Sarah { 01.26.14 at 1:01 pm }

I am planning a Florida vacation March 29-April 7. We would like to visit disney for one day only. Is there a certain day that is typically less crowded?

56 Dave { 01.27.14 at 7:59 am }

Sarah, it varies a bit by whihc of the four theme parks you are considering. For example, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are generally best, but Tuesdays are bad at Epcot your dates, and Wednesdays are bad at the Animal Kingdom…

57 Kacie { 01.28.14 at 1:48 am }

Help! We booked our trip from April 22-29, thinking it would be after Easter and most spring break. I’m really surprised to see some are still on break! Other factors in that week selection have to do with my husband’s job. The week after, flowing into May, wouldn’t work unfortunately.

Are we going to be totally screwed? Will I regret it? Should we think about canceling for some other time?

58 Kacie { 01.28.14 at 1:51 am }

I mean, looking at your chart, there’s only ly like 10% of kids on break at the first part. So maybe crowd wise it isn’t a death kiss?

I need something here. Either assurance it will be ok, or telling me to show up ready for crowds.

59 Dave { 01.28.14 at 9:28 am }

Kacie, in a year with a more “normal” Easter, the week after Easter is the second-most common spring break week.

Because Easter is so late in 2014, a lot of schools that normally take the week after off are taking the week before off instead, so that week won’t be as bad as in most years.

But it’ll still be bad…at least up through the 25th…

60 Kacie { 01.28.14 at 1:44 pm }

Thanks, Dave! We’ll brace ourselves and be sure to hit RD for those first few days, at minimum. At least the last half of our trip should taper off :)

I saw the crowd calendar on touringplans and it seemed to think it wouldn’t be so bad, but I’m not sure why. A 5 on Easter Sunday just doesn’t make a lot of sense.

61 Stephanie { 01.28.14 at 2:41 pm }

Thanks for such a great resource! Unfortunately our trip this year is booked from March 14th to 22nd, but the crowd forecast has me nervous. Our family usually goes in mid August or in early January after New Year’s to the marathon. Any chance the crowds will be comparable to these times? Our family have always found them manageable because we take advantage of later hours. Again, thanks for the information!

62 Dave { 01.29.14 at 7:37 am }

I dunno why they have a 5 either…it’ll likely be an 8, or, if we get lucky, a 7…

63 Dave { 01.29.14 at 7:52 am }

Hi Stephanie and thanks! Crowds will be a little worse than in early August. But you should be OK–hit a couple of headliners at park open, and some more via FastPass+ later in the day…fill in between with lower-wait attractions

64 Shelley { 01.31.14 at 5:18 pm }

We are planning a spring vacation for this May.we ere going to pull kids out of school for this week if less people vacation during this time at Disney.is it worth it or is it not too busy during reg vacation scheduled April 28-May 2???

65 Dave { 02.01.14 at 9:56 am }

Shelley, I don’t see big crowds the week of the 28th of April–you should be fine then!

66 cheris { 02.01.14 at 6:23 pm }

Any idea what the ride wait times will be for Magic Kingdom and Epcot on April 15-17? Thank you so much for answering everyone`s questions! You have the most valuable info!

67 Dave { 02.02.14 at 8:26 am }

Hi Cheris and thanks! The week before Easter is one of the three or four busiest of the year. Waits likely will exceed 2 hours at Epcot’s most popular rides, and be close to that at the Magic Kingdom favorites….

68 Jules in England { 02.03.14 at 11:19 am }

Just booked for fri 27 march 2015 to fri 3 April 2015 in Orlando then next week in fort Meyers to recover! Only planning to do wdw and Epcot. What days ( given it is leading to Easter ) would you recommend based on your expert knowledge? I’ve not purchased tickets yet. Thank you in advance.

69 Dave { 02.04.14 at 9:17 am }

Hi Jules, I can’t give specific guidance til Disney releases its calendar for then–which it will about 6.5 months before–but you will have no good choices then, as the parks will be wildly crowded. See http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/12/05/disney-world-crowds-in-2015/

So check back 6 months before and I’ll be able to help a bit then….

70 Toni { 02.06.14 at 3:37 pm }

We are planning a trip March 15-20 and I wish I would have found this site before I booked! I understand the crowds will be high, what does this mean as it relates to wait times. I have 2 preschool age children and an infant so we will be focused on rides and attractions geared towards them. I am getting sort of panicky as this is our first trip and I want it to be great!

71 Toni { 02.06.14 at 4:17 pm }

Oh and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge – so at least I did right on accomodations!

72 Dave { 02.07.14 at 9:33 am }

Toni, peak waits could approach–or even exceed–two hours at the most popular rides and attractions by late morning/early afternoon. The secret is to arrive at the parks before they open, hit a ride or attraction first thing that builds long lines quickly, and use FastPass+ for other rides that build super lines…

73 Dave { 02.07.14 at 9:34 am }

Cool, Toni!

74 Anonymous { 02.08.14 at 11:01 am }

Hi Dave! I am a little bit worry about what I’ve read hear. I’m planning to stay there from March 24th to April 4th with my boyfriend (no kids coming) and we want to go 5 days to wdw and 2 days to Universal. I’m coming from Spain where we have the easter week, which is later, but not several different spring breaks, so I thought it would be perfect! So those are my free days…how would you organize the stay? Because I don’t know why jyouhdqY says better for one park and an another day for another park.

75 Marta { 02.08.14 at 11:06 am }

Because I dont know why you say that one day is better than other for each park.

76 Dave { 02.09.14 at 1:04 pm }

Hi Marko! Universal tend sot be better Saturday-Monday–see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/07/31/the-best-and-worst-days-of-the-week-to-see-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

At the Disney parks, the best days will be Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. You have two of each in your schedule so should be OK. Avoid Epcot on Tuesdays, the Animal Kingdom on Wednesday, and the Magic Kingdom on Thursdays…

77 Nico { 02.15.14 at 12:15 pm }

Hello,
I see a lot of info. for Feb., March and April. We have very flexible schedule and are planing to go the last week of April or any of the first two weeks of May. We are taking a 4 and 2 yrs. old boys. Any suggestions? Thanks,

78 Dave { 02.16.14 at 7:58 am }
79 Alice { 02.21.14 at 1:36 pm }

Hello Dave,

Our Disney World trip is scheduled for April 22-27, 2014. I tried rescheduling after realizing this was the week after Easter, but other dates didn’t work for my party. We are traveling with 6 and 4 year old boys. We are planning for the worst but hoping for the best. Realistically, if we are at Magic Kingdom as soon as the park opens, how many rides should we be able to get in before 1hr or longer wait times develop? Thanks!

80 Dave { 02.22.14 at 8:23 am }

Alice are you staying at a WDW hotel–and thus able to use morning extra magic hours?

81 Alice { 02.23.14 at 10:08 am }

Yes, we are staying at Contemporary.

82 Melissa { 02.23.14 at 3:08 pm }

My heart is broken. I just purchased plane tickets for my family, including two boys 7 and 4, for April 15-22. In our area all the schools are done with spring break the week before. We wanted to visit my not-so-well grandmother and flights where cheaper so I blindly purchased. Are there any attraction that wont be a nightmare. Maybe sea-world? My older son has Asperger’s Syndrome and they offer a schedule time card for people with disabilities, but you still wait the same amount of time. I don’t know why I figured Easter Day would be a safe bet. Ahhh.

83 Dave { 02.24.14 at 7:35 am }

Hi Melissa, I’m so sorry. Everything will be wildly crowded everywhere with the crowds who get the week befroe or after Easter off…

84 Alice Marchman { 02.25.14 at 8:24 am }

Good morning Dave. Since we are staying at Contemporary, we should be able to utilize extra magic hours. If we are there for this rope drop, realistically, how many rides should we be able to get in before 1hr or longer wait times develop? Thanks.

85 Nora { 02.25.14 at 3:18 pm }

My family and I are coming down to Disney March 14-19 I’m very nervous after reading some of the comments here. How bad are we talking on crowds? My kids have no idea that were going, they wont know until the day we leave. Is this going to be a 2 hour wait on everything??

86 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:01 pm }

Alice, if you are at the park entry well before opening, your first 90 minutes should be fine–and on morning EMH days, your first two hours. Long waits won’t start building til later in the morning. Target your FastPass+ for 11a or later…

87 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:25 pm }

Nora, arrive at the park well before the parks open, ride first thing some rides that will build long lines later, and book your FastPass+ for late-morning/early afternoon. Following those steps, you should be OK.

88 Crystal { 03.07.14 at 3:14 pm }

Hi, im heading over from Montana are the dates 4/14-4/15 ok?

89 Dave { 03.08.14 at 7:25 am }

Hi Crystal! You should be fine through the 11th. Massive crowds build starting the 12th.

90 Ceila { 03.08.14 at 10:19 am }

Hi Dave!
We are planning a trip to Disneyworld March 19 – 22. It will be teenagers and adults. What should we plan to do first? We want to maximize our time. Thank you!

91 Dave { 03.09.14 at 9:55 am }

Hi Ceila, it’s a little hard to advise on such a short trip. At those ages, you likely will want a day each at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios. See this for ride prioirites http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/ and see Josh’s Cheat Sheets for one-day itineraries: http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/

92 Diana { 03.09.14 at 3:21 pm }

Hello, I like this page, my family and me are staying for spring brake week at tropical palm resort, how is the place? We are three adults and three kids 7, 10 &13 starting tue-thur, what would u recomend to do first and which
ticsets to buy, and if the hoop pass is recomended…please recomend one park per day…girl and twoo boys (10,13)…thank u very much!!

93 Angela { 03.09.14 at 5:18 pm }

Hi, Dave! Thanks for all the info! We’ve been to Disney a few times, but we nailed the timing each time before. This year we just found out we have Spring Break to travel, and were thinking of possibly Discovery Cove, Sea World, maybe the water park, and then 2 or 3 days at MK, Epcot, and probably Holleywood Studios. Do you think this is a wise choice, and if so, which days would you visit where? We have Easter weekend through April 25th to be there. Our 40+ inch tall 4-year-old son and 7-year old daughter might be too young for patiently waiting in the lines that week….. No idea what Spring Break lines are really like. I was initially comforted that your calendar didn’t say “horrible,” but still maybe a bad choice? Thanks for your help! Our budget & the pricing for different days at D.C. Is a factor.

94 Dave { 03.10.14 at 7:44 am }

Diana, I don’t know anything about that hotel, and I don’t know when your spring break is, so I can’t help much…tell me your arrival and departure dates and I can help!

95 Dave { 03.10.14 at 7:47 am }

Hi Angela, I can’t really comment on the Sea World options or waterparks, as I don’t track them closely.

For the Disney parks, focus on the last days of your trip, which will be much better than Easter weekend through the Weds after.

If you are staying at a a WDW hotel, use FastPass+ to book the stuff most important to you. If you aren’t staying at a WDW hotel, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/03/09/staying-off-site-and-want-to-reserve-fastpass-in-advance-book-dining/

96 Ceila Torres { 03.11.14 at 12:03 am }

Thank you soooo much! We are spending a day at each park, and I will pass along your info to the rest of the group. All 95 of us! It is the high school band competition.

97 Joana Minteiro { 03.11.14 at 6:30 pm }

Hi we are planing a short trip to Orlando from March 25 to march 28. Do you think it will be to crowded? Last tume we went from january 1 until January 12 and it qas impossible b specially the first week of this year…. Thank you

98 Dave { 03.12.14 at 6:07 am }

Joana, yes it will be crowded, but not nearly as bad as the beginning of January!

99 Brian { 03.14.14 at 1:11 pm }

Hi Dave, I am so glad I found your site. I haven’t been to Disney since I was a kid (25 years ago), I am taking my 2.5 year old and 8 month old. Originally planned on April 14 and 15. I saw this page and realized that wasn’t smart. I also have the option to go on the later part of the following week (april 24th and 25th – thurs and Friday). Do you think this is a smart switch or will both times be crazy busy and I wont know the difference? Thank you!!!

100 Dave { 03.15.14 at 8:43 am }

Hey Brian! I’m glad you found it too! The late Easter means fewer kids than usual will be off the week after, so the 24th and 25th, while not marvy, will be much better than the 14th and 15th!

101 Sarah { 03.17.14 at 8:29 am }

We are heading down on March 31 – April 5, staying at fort wilderness cabins any advice?

102 Dave { 03.17.14 at 4:32 pm }

Sarah, how old are the kids, and have you been before?