By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2019, the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever.

Available on Amazon here.

October 2019 at Walt Disney World

On March 7, Disney announced that the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land would partially open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on August 29.

Crowds in the new land will be a mess, and likely will spill over into the other thrill-style rides at that park. While I don’t see much impact on the other parks, no one knows for sure, and the dates folk have fall breaks will probably be worse than I had originally forecast.

I don’t see a huge impact outside the land itself, as the partial opening will make visiting specifically to see Star Wars less attractive, and many people will move their October trips to avoid the mess entirely.

While I don’t see much impact on the other parks, no one knows for sure, and the dates folk have fall breaks will probably be worse than I had originally forecast.  I have bumped up my crowd forecasts for October by a point for each week.  See this for more.

WHAT IS OCTOBER LIKE AT DISNEY WORLD?

Late October has some of the best times of the year to visit Disney World, with nice weather, low-ish crowds, low-ish prices, and fun special events.

The earlier part of the month is not so good, as

• The first week is still in the peak of the hurricane season
  • The first three weeks see extra crowds from fall breaks, and
  • The second week sees both higher crowds and some higher prices from Columbus Day.

Note also that picking the right park to visit each day is critical at this time of the year. See this, and use the comment form below to ask me about your specific dates!

OCTOBER 2019 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the first week of October (beginning 10/5) sees crowds levels of 6/moderate, the second week of Columbus Day 9/high, the third week 6/moderate, and the fourth week 4/low-plus.

Each of these is (as of mid-April 2019) bumped them up one point to reflect both the effect of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and my recently-completed analysis of 2019 fall breaks.

See this for more on 2019 crowds at Disney World.

OCTOBER 2019 TICKET PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

October 2019 Disney World ticket prices are generally at levels average for the year.

See the image–where green is good, and lots of green particularly good, and red is bad, and lots of red is particularly bad.

For more, see my Disney World 2019 ticket price calendar.

OCTOBER 2019 RESORT HOTEL PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Prices begin the month  20-25% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 5-25% higher at the moderates and and 10-20% higher than lowest of the year at the deluxes.

• Prices then pop up over the Columbus Day weekend
  • On 10/14 they go back down, and are 20-25% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 15-25% higher at the moderates and and 5-15% higher than lowest of the year at the deluxes
  • Deluxe prices stay at the 10/14 level through the end of the month
  • At the values, prices drop to 5-10% higher than the lowest of the year on 10/27
  • At the moderates, prices drop to 10-18% higher than the lowest of the year on 10/27

See this for more on 2019 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

OCTOBER 2019 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

As I write this, no deals for the general public are available for October 2019. If any emerge, you will be able to find them here.

OCTOBER 2019 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Early October sees the end of the peak of the hurricane season. The second half of the month sees weather about as good as Orlando gets.

Disney World Temperatures and Percentile Distribution Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more.

DISNEY WORLD SPECIAL EVENTS IN OCTOBER 2019

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party kicks off August 16, 2019 and continues many nights in October.  See this for more.

The 2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival continues into November.

OCTOBER 2019 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours can vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available about six months in advance. Major hours updates–often with later closes–can happen a month before.

These calendars can be found by clicking this link.

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR OCTOBER 2019 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow are from my 2019 weeks to visit, ranked in order, updated in April 2019, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

Click the image for a calendar view of 2019 weeks.

9/28/2019 Updated. Moderate resort prices. Moderate-minus crowds, worse on weekends, better mid-week. Crowd ranking=5. Week ranking=23. Use the Higher Crowd Itinerary to manage the crowd risks of the  8/29 partial opening of Galaxy’s Edge

10/5/2019 Updated. Moderate resort prices. Moderate crowds, worse on weekends, better mid-week. Crowd ranking=6. Week ranking=25. Use the Higher Crowd Itinerary to manage the crowd risks of the  8/29 partial opening of Galaxy’s Edge

10/12/2019 Updated.  Moderate+ resort prices at values and moderates, high crowds. Crowd ranking=9. Week ranking=38. Use the Higher Crowd Itinerary

10/19/2019 Updated. Moderate+ resort prices at values and moderates, low+ in deluxes. Moderate crowds, worse on weekends, better mid-week. Crowd ranking=6. Week ranking=14. Use the Higher Crowd Itinerary to manage the crowd risks of the  8/29 partial opening of Galaxy’s Edge

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Debbie { 04.23.19 at 9:36 am }

When will you be posting information for November 2019? We will be going then and I would love all info you can provide. Thanks!

2 Dave { 04.24.19 at 6:30 am }

Hi Debbie, I should have my planning guidance for November out by the end of the weekend!

3 Jennifer { 04.26.19 at 9:34 am }

Dave, would love your opinion. For our Girls’ Trip, we arrive on 10/22, depart 10/27, so I know I’m already competing for FPs against the people who arrived over the previous weekend. With that in mind, and because RnR must happen or heads will explode (not mine), this is my plan:

10/23 – Epcot for F&W
10/24 – Epcot for F&W
10/25 – Animal Kingdom
10/26 – Magic Kingdom
10/27 – Hollywood Studios

I know HS will most likely have morning EMH that day, but I also figured we’d have a better chance for FPs at 60+5. We would NOT rope drop, and my hope would be most of the SWGE crazies would already be inside the park by the time we arrive around 9:30ish for our first FP.

Thoughts?

4 Dave { 04.27.19 at 1:05 pm }

Hi Jennifer, the calendar for then is not yet out–it will be out in a couple of days.

My preliminary thought is that 10/24 will be bad at Epcot, 10/26 very bad at MK, and 10/27 bad at HS. I don’t think you’ll have much trouble with RnR FP+ at 60+4, so I would swap 10/24 and 10/25, and 10/26 and 10/27. Note that this will keep you from being in MK after 6p on 10/27–which is why it is a good MK day. (10/26 is the only late close of MK in a four day stretch, which is why that is a bad day.)

Ping me again in five days or so and I can give you more definitive thoughts!

5 Jennifer { 04.27.19 at 2:41 pm }

Will do! FWIW, 10/27 is not a full day; we’ll have to board the Tragical Express sometime around 12:30.

6 Jennifer { 04.27.19 at 2:43 pm }

UGH, and we actually arrive on 10/23, so also not a full day.

7 Margie { 04.29.19 at 12:05 am }

I am reading your Easy Guide and am overwhelmed! We are going to a conference in October and have to stay at the Yacht Club Oct 7-14. There will be 6 of us including two kids aged 8 and 10. I am already late in trying to get reservations for the California Grill which we really wanted to do for the Observation Deck. Please help! I understand these particular dates in October are really crowded so I don’t want to make a mistake in choosing the best schedule for visiting the parks allowing some time to relax at the hotel. Please advise.

8 Dave { 04.29.19 at 9:20 am }

[edited]

Hi Margie, sorry, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking! If it is about parks to avoid, here’s my thoughts:

10/7 avoid AK and MK
10/8 avoid Epcot and HS
10/9 avoid MK
10/10 avoid Epcot and HS
10/11 avoid all but AK
10/12 avoid all, Epcot may be best among a bad set of options
10/13 avoid HS
10/14 avoid AK and HS

9 Margie Gallo { 05.02.19 at 6:06 pm }

Please advise for 10/10, somehow that day got left out of your recommendations. Thanks!

10 Dave { 05.03.19 at 1:39 pm }

Margie–sorry I messed up–I have fixed my response

11 Jennifer { 05.04.19 at 12:17 pm }

Well, with today’s announcement I’ve become convinced WDW is trying to kill me.

To review, we arrive on 10/23 and will be able to hit the parks by early afternoon. We depart on 10/27 and will be able to spend a few hours in a park in the morning. That said, now that we have EXTRA! EXTRA! MAGIC! HOURS! in three parks on the daily, I have absolutely no idea what the heck to do. Thoughts? I’ve explained to my traveling companion that sleep will not be an option.

12 Dave { 05.05.19 at 9:42 am }

Jennifer…you have my sympathy. If there is a way out of seeing dawn in the parks, it involves narrowing your expectations and good luck with FastPass+

13 Jennifer { 05.05.19 at 3:25 pm }

You know you’re in deep trouble when even the Guru of Disney is throwing up his hands. 🙁 I’m assuming it really and truly won’t matter what day we go to which park at this point?

14 Dave { 05.05.19 at 5:28 pm }

Jennifer, I’m thinking, I promise!!! Evidence:

15 Kari { 05.14.19 at 2:57 pm }

Hi, could you please give park recommendations for arrival on 10/27-11/2. We will probably skip Animal Kingdom this trip.

16 Dave { 05.16.19 at 1:26 pm }

Hi Kari,

10/27 avoid HS, MK will be best
10/28 avoid MK, Epcot and AK should be fine, this will be one of the (relatively) OK HS days your week
10/29 MK will be best, avoid HS and Epcot, AK should be fine
10/30 avoid MK. This should be the best HS days among your options
10/31 avoid all but AK.
11/1 MK is best.
11/2 all are bad, HS is worst

17 Kari Kellar { 05.17.19 at 2:32 pm }

I appreciate your help. Thank you

18 Dave { 05.19.19 at 12:19 pm }

Glad to help, Kari!

19 Heather Fewins { 05.18.19 at 7:44 pm }

We are looking at park days October 31st-Nov. 4th. What parks would you recommend for each day. We have no interest in Star Wars. Should we skip HS all together or will the rest of the park be decent by this time. Thank you for any help you can give.

20 Dave { 05.19.19 at 12:25 pm }

Hi Heather!

10/31 avoid MK and Epcot. AK should be best.

11/1 MK will be best, and avoid HS and Epcot

11/2 there are no great choices.

11/3 MK should be best

11/4 Avoid AK. MK and Epcot should be better than HS.

It’s hard to say what HS will be like, but my current guess is that with FP+ for e.g. the highest demand non-Star Wars rides, you should be fine (those would be SLinky Dog Dash, Tower of Terror, and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster)