i. Basic Itinerary and Disney Itinerary Design Goals
By Dave Shute
If you can’t do the Basic Itinerary, see Other Itineraries for alternatives for both the December weeks and all of the rest of the year.
You can review the basic itinerary by clicking on the thumbnail; to enlarge it, when it’s open, click it again a couple of times.
As in all the itineraries on this site, there is also a detailed page for each day of your vacation, with specific instructions for that day.
The links to those pages can be found on the second of the two pages of this entry, the link for which can be found at the end of the text on this page.
ITINERARY DESIGN GOALS
The basic itinerary was designed to meet several goals: to ensure that you
- See the best that Walt Disney World has to offer
- See the parks in the order that works best for kids (essentially Epcot first, as it is potentially the most disappointing, and the Magic Kingdom last, as it is likely to be the best loved)
- Avoid unnecessary waiting (sometimes by being at the parks when they open, but also by using other tactics…)
- Avoid unnecessary traps–for example, when possible, do not attend park-closing fireworks events on the nights that these events…actually close the parks, as you will then be stuck in a crowd of tens of thousands all trying to exit at once
- Have as much time off, and as few early mornings, as practical
- Avoid unnecessary spending–for example, the basic itinerary does not require you to buy the “Park Hopper” option, saving you more than $200
If you can’t do the Basic Itinerary, see Other Itineraries for alternatives for both the December week and the rest of the year.
Click HERE for links to detailed daily itineraries and your To-Do List
GENERAL ITINERARY LINKS
- For itinerary design goals and the basic December Itinerary, see this
- For shorter and longer itineraries targeted at the same December week, see this
- For itineraries covering all the other parts of the year, see this
- To design your own itinerary, see this
- For rides that might be skipped, see this
- For a comprehensive guide to rides and attractions, see this