By the co-author of the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook ever -- The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit.—Disney World Instructions for the First-Time Visitor

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party (“MVMCP”) in 2015

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in 2015 from yourfirstvisit.netWhile Christmas itself is December 25 of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Christmas celebration at the Magic Kingdom many nights in November and December.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, or “MVMCP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and cookies and hot chocolate, special events, and slightly different Christmas parades and fireworks, and even snow (!) are offered.

The official Disney World page for this event (where you can also buy tickets once they go on sale) can be found here.  For a review of the 2014 version of MVMCP, see this.

This party occurs from 7p-12MN on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in November and December.

The 2015 dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party are as follows:

• November 2015: 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, and 29
  • December 2015:  1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 18

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party from yourfirstvisit.netYou need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (note that you can usually enter and enjoy the rides as early as 4p–although your ticket will say 7p)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket

Mickey and Minnie at Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at MVMCP 2014 from yourfirstvisit.net_

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades and fireworks shows are rare this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening can be less crowded, particularly compared to whenever the Magic Kingdom is doing evening Extra Magic Hours that week

Many families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom. For that reason, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is not designed into this site’s pre-Thanksgiving itineraries.

It is, however, built in to this site’s Christmas-oriented Basic Itinerary, which works for the three weeks beginning the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

This year’s party oughta be a lot like last years, so for details on what was offered then, suggested approaches, etc., see this!

Follow on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Jennifer { 04.09.15 at 6:46 pm }

So we’re off to see the Mouse in three weeks, and I’ve been toying with the idea of utilizing the “bounceback” for the first time, and maybe booking a few days at the beginning of December so we could experience all the Christmas excitement without the vacation crowds. My question is this: how crazy are the parks on those first few Saturdays? We’d probably wind up being there for a Thursday – Saturday stretch (flying in Wednesday evening, out Sunday morning), and my thought is we’d definitely want to shoot for the Thursday MVMCP, but what to do on Saturday? Crowds and the accompanying lines are not our friends (hence the reason I pull the kiddo out of school in the spring for our Disney trips), and any recommendations you have would be appreciated!

2 Dave { 04.10.15 at 8:52 am }

Jennifer, I won’t know for sure until the December calendar is out, but typically one or both of AK or Epcot will be just fine those December Saturdays. And with FP+ and an early arrival, you can make any park work…

3 Jennifer { 04.10.15 at 9:12 am }

Very true! Thanks so much and I’ll keep watching for updates! :-)

4 Mike { 05.15.15 at 11:08 am }

Love your site! It’s been very useful even though I have visited disney multiple times. This year I am arriving late on November 13th (7pm) and departing on the 23rd. I am looking forward to attending MVMCP! What day do you suggest would be best? Also, do you have any suggestions on what to do on the date of arrival? Stay at the resort ( Art of Animation) or visit a park?

5 Dave { 05.16.15 at 11:37 am }

Hey Mike and thanks!!

The rule of thumb on the party is to go on a school night, as that limits the number of locals who attend.

With that late an arrival you are probably best served taking the night off, especially since no park will be open past 10p, I’d guess. However, because of FastPass+, short late windows in the park are now much more valuable than they used to be. Epcot will be open til ten, so you could see three rides with FP+ (booking your windows as 6.30-7.30, 7.30-8.30, and 8.30-9.30) and Illuminations as well on the 13th…

6 Cathy { 05.24.15 at 3:52 pm }

We are debating on MVMCP. If we don’t attend will the castle still be lit up on the other nights? I understand there is a different wishes show, is this correct? We have been to Halloween party but no the Christmas. Any suggestions? Thanks.

7 Dave { 05.26.15 at 8:08 am }

Cathy, the castle is lit up every night during the season, and Wishes is on nights the party is not. Mt review of the 2014 version is here–it might help you make your decision.

8 Penelope { 07.01.15 at 7:46 pm }

So we’re actually going *gasp* for the week of Dec. 23-29th. What does this mean for MVMCP? Is it on every day? Do we still need to buy tickets? We’re first-timers bringing grandparents and 3 young kids, so this is an ambitious trip for us. Any advice is appreciated!

9 Dave { 07.02.15 at 6:25 pm }

Penelope, MVMCP always ends before Xmas week. In 2015 its last show is 12/18.

Your best bet is to buy my book, since this site doesn’t work well with younger kids (it’s desinged for kids 8 and up) …

10 Nancy { 08.09.15 at 11:20 pm }

Hi Dave, This is our first fist to Disney and going during a very busy time Thanksgiving! We are purchasing 5 day tickets and we can visit the parks from Sat Nov 21 to Thurs Nov 26, 2015. We are wanting to visit each park once except for MK twice and to have a off day at our resort to relax. Any suggestions on which days to go to which park and which day to just stay at our resort?

11 Dave { 08.10.15 at 5:12 pm }

Hi Nancy!!

11/21 avoid HS and MK
11/22 avoid HS
11/23 avoid MK
11/24 avoid Epcot
11/25 avoid AK and MK
11/26 avoid MK and Epcot

If you sort through this, you’ll see that the best MK dates are 11/22 and 11/24. AK is commonly very slow on Thanksgiving, so go there 11/26. Then you have a couple of options for HS and Epcot and your day off.

12 Nancy { 08.11.15 at 3:43 pm }

Thanks Dave for your suggestions!!

13 Korkys { 08.20.15 at 3:08 pm }

Is MVMCP something you purchase a ticket for and then go see for 1 night? Or should you get a few tickets per person to get to see everything? Does that even make sense?! LOL I mean is it so big that you would need to visit a few nights to get the chance to see everything? Thank you!!

14 Korkys { 08.20.15 at 3:12 pm }

Forgot to add- Do you buy tickets on WDW website or can you get discounted tickets through AAA or other places?

15 Dave { 08.21.15 at 12:06 pm }

Korkys, the Magic Kingdom itself takes 2-3 ticket days. MVMCP is a one night ticket. You can’t see all of MK in its few hours, but you can see all the special Christmas events MVMCP offers in the one night.

16 Dave { 08.21.15 at 12:07 pm }

WDW website

17 Tammy { 08.25.15 at 12:29 pm }

Its me again Dave :)
When I have questions I can’t find anywhere else, I always come back to you. Your website is a wealth of info and I love the questions and answers you respond to.. And I especially love how quick you are to do so!!! This time my question is about EMH on MVMCP nights. We have an 8:00 am at BOG and I have also booked a 10:55am at BOG. I want to release one for someone else to grab but am struggling with which. We really want the 8am but I am worried that Disney will add EMH to Nov 15 day at MK and then it would trump our plans.
In all your experienc, does Disney typically add EMHs to MVMCP nights?

18 Dave { 08.25.15 at 2:13 pm }

Hiya Tammy! Added MK EMH (or regular opens changed to 8a, which would have the same effect) are rare–I almost said “unheard of”–during dates as slow as 11/15. So your 8a ressie should be fine!

19 Joey { 08.30.15 at 11:29 am }

Hi dave! New timer here, love your responses! But anyways i have a couple of questions im taking my whole family to disneyworld for christmas this year and i just wanted to know if 8 hours is enough to see magic kingdom during The christmas party, we plan on that party being our designated MK day since we are all grown me being
The youngest (21) so we wont want to meet any characters and we hope to get into the park at 4pm as some people suggest, and just one more question to get into the party would you need 2 MK tickets or just the party ticket to get in at 4pm and after, a response would be deeply appreciated thanks dave!

20 Dave { 08.30.15 at 4:09 pm }

Joey, there’s easily two days worth of rides at MK, even for those 21 and up!

Suggest you go to AK your Christmas Party day, then head to MK after, and spend another day at MK as well. You don;t need two MK tix for the party so long as you arrive 4p or later.

21 Laura { 09.15.15 at 12:49 am }

Hey Dave , we will be coming 11-26-15 til 12-6-15. It’s our first time coming we have a 7 and 5 year old . Can you give me tips on which parks are the best for them and how do I get tickets for the mickey mouse parade? Also we will not have a dining plan so best restaurants geared towards the kids also would be a help. Thanks so much

22 Dave { 09.16.15 at 11:05 am }

Hi Laura!! I don’t know what you mean by the Mickey Mouse parade. My itineraries are for different days, different lengths of stay, and for older kids, so you will be best served by the stuff in Chapter 6 of my book.

23 Michelle Diaz { 09.18.15 at 5:14 pm }

Do I understand that the castle projection show will not happen during the MVMCP?

24 Dave { 09.19.15 at 1:15 pm }

Michelle, it was on last not during the Halloween Party, so I expect it will be on during MVMCP.