By the co-author of the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook ever -- The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit.—Disney World Instructions for the First-Time Visitor

Halloween 2015 at Walt Disney World

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party 2015 from yourfirstvisit.netWhile Halloween itself is October 31st of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Halloween celebration at the Magic Kingdom many evenings in September, October, and likely even November in 2015.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party,” or “MNSSHP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and trick or treating, special events, and different parades and fireworks are offered.

The official Disney World page and prcies for this event can be found here.

Click the image below for the 2015 offerings.

And you can find a review of the 2015 MNSSHP party here.

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Offerings

Street Art at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.netThis party occurs from 7p-12MN  on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in September, October, and some years (including in 2015) even early November.

2015 Halloween Party dates are:

• September 2015: 15, 18, 20, 22, 25 and 27
  • October 2015: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31
  • November 2015: 1

You need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (but typically you can get in as early as 4p, even though the ticket will say 7p.)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades and fireworks are rarer this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them–though the Halloween parade and fireworks are different (and better!!) than what you’ll see on regular nights
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening waits can be much less long than other nights these months

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from

Many families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom.

For that reason, Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is not designed into this site’s itineraries.

Follow on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Karen Gonzalez { 02.12.15 at 6:27 pm }

How much are the ticket for the not so scary Halloween party? Also are there any discounts for 65 and older?

2 Dave { 02.13.15 at 8:04 am }

Karen, prices aren’t out yet. Prices likely will vary by party date and adult/child, and will be >$60 including tax. There’s no price break for 65 and over.

3 Adrianne B { 03.01.15 at 10:23 am }

Dear Dave,
My family is planning our first visit for October 24-28, 2015, and we are finding your site and info invaluable for navigating the ins and outs of the “modern” WDW experience. As I did 30 years ago, my daughter will be celebrating her 6th birthday in the parks during our trip. We are checking out & driving out early on Oct. 28 to visit Weeki Wachee and make our way south to the (free) family condo in Naples for the remainder of our trip.
While at WDW, we wish to stay at AoA (great tip, BTW; I wouldn’t even have considered that resort if it weren’t for your very thoughtful evaluation) and attend the MNSSHP on one evening, either Sunday the 25th (actual birthday) or Tuesday the 27th. Do you have any suggestions as to which day might be preferable? We hope to visit a different park than MK the morning/early afternoon of the party.
Thank you! You do amazing work and have made the type-A “planner” in me much more confident that I can crack this WDW nut, after all!

4 Dave { 03.01.15 at 3:11 pm }

Hi Adrianne, and thanks!! I don’t have a firm opinion on one vs the other. Both should be similar in terms of crowds and such.

One question is what park to go to earlier in the day. MK is actually a great choice on party days, as the lack of evening stuff (other than for throe who have paid for the party tix) drives people away. A day at MK the 27th followed by a break than a return to the party would be really good.

Sunday will be a little more crowded during the day at MK. Beyond that, I need to defer until Disney posts its October schedule (in a week or two).

5 Adrianne B { 03.01.15 at 5:18 pm }

Thank you so much for the quick and thoughtful responses, Dave. I, too, am eagerly awaiting the October schedule to look at the ‘whole picture’ and get my reservations and park days planned.

6 Mark { 03.11.15 at 1:48 pm }

I will be going to Disney this October. I am an experienced visitor, going over 50 times. This will be the first time going to an “hard ticket” event with the new FastPass+ system in place.

I do not plan to visit any parks the day of the “hard ticket” event until 4 p.m., when you can get into the Magic Kingdom early. I am also staying in a Disney Resort and have my Magic Bands for my group, so I can make FastPass+ reservations for times between 4 and 7, but do not want to use a Magic My Way day (I have no expiration tickets still) for obvious financial reasons.

Question: Will I be able to use the FastPass+ reservations between 4 and 7, or will the ride operators not let me on or will I be deducted a Magic My Way Day to use them?

7 Dave { 03.12.15 at 10:27 am }

Mark, the short answer is no, unless Disney changes how things worked in 2014. No regular ticket used, no FP+.

Note, however, that if you already have at least 4 days on your tix, adding a fifth costs only $10.65/person. That’s not a bad price to add three great rides with low waits…

8 Stephanie { 03.15.15 at 4:57 pm }

Thank you for this treasure trove of information. We are visiting over the busy Columbus Day week,Oct. 11-17. What would your suggestion be as far as least crowded Halloween party for that week?

9 Dave { 03.16.15 at 4:27 pm }

Hi Stephanie and thanks! I’d tend towards the Thursday party –11/15

10 Mar { 03.30.15 at 10:47 am }

Question: We don’t really celebrate Halloween and my daughter hates anything scary– ghosts, zombies, etc. Even things that people don’t think are scary bother her. We really wanted to go to Disney World On the weekend of October 10th. If we don’t go to the the Halloween Party, how much more of Disney is covered in Halloween stuff?? Carved Pumpkins and fall stuff is totally fine with us, we would just like to avoid creepy characters and halloween-themed stuff.

11 Dave { 04.01.15 at 11:37 am }

Mar, they don’t add any decorations after the party starts, just some lights. That is, the Halloween decorations–such as it is, it’s pretty mild–is up all the time. My advice is to do a google image search for Halloween at Disney World, look at the photos you will find, and see how the decorations work for her…

12 Jo { 04.03.15 at 10:32 pm }

Hi there thank you for so much info, hoping to pick your Mickey mind on something… Travel to wow on Oct 30, should we get tickets for party on the 31 or the 1? Also on the 31 is there any trick o treating allowed even if you do not do the party, can kids trick o treat anywhere on property? Hank you for your recommendations my child is 9

13 Dave { 04.05.15 at 11:17 am }

Jo the 1st is likely to be less crowded, and no, there’s not really trick or treating elsewhere…

14 Karen { 04.11.15 at 3:35 pm }

Traveling with a senior who has trouble walking distances. Last visit we arrived with no electric wheelchairs available. Pushing was hard as have 2 toddlers and grandma is noy quite as strong ???? can you suggest best resort hotel to stay at with easiest cases to and from park. We will be doing early October mic key’s Halloween. Thanks

15 Dave { 04.12.15 at 10:41 am }

Karen, the park wheelchairs and scooters are first-come, first served. The only way to guarantee access is to always show up before park open, or to rent one. The mos convenient WDW hotel for an MK-focused trip is the Contemporary.

16 April { 04.16.15 at 4:08 pm }

Hi, we are planning to do MNSSHP on 10/27 and I hear they sometimes sell out, what would be the latest we purchase these tickets to avoid sell out (besides the obvious asap) I was thinking at least by early July? Thanx

17 Dave { 04.17.15 at 8:32 am }

April, according to this, that date was available well into October last year…

18 Tracy { 04.30.15 at 8:56 pm }

Is the only place to trick or treat on Halloween is at this party or can you trick or treat in other areas like down diwn Disney or Epcot?

19 Dave { 05.01.15 at 8:01 am }

Tracy, just at this party.

20 Kim { 05.04.15 at 10:55 am }

Our family is going to WDW the 3rd week of October. I read somewhere that Adults can not wear costumes at WDW. Does this also apply at the Halloween party? Thanks, Kim

21 Dave { 05.06.15 at 7:50 am }

Kim, adults can wear costumes at the Halloween Party! See the photos here for millions of them.

22 Scott { 05.07.15 at 2:39 pm }

My daughter and I arrive in Orlando around noon and have tix for MNNSHP later that evening but no theme park tickets for that day. If you are allowed into MK for the MNNSHP at 4, are you allowed to ride the attractions or do they make you wait until 7?

23 Kelly B - Agent with Destinations in Florida { 05.08.15 at 8:28 am }

Hi Scott,

When you enter the park for MNNSHP, you have full access to the Magic Kingdom. Rides, shows, events etc. 7 o’clock is when Disney starts ushering everyone else out. You’ve found a wonderful way to start your vacation. Have an amazing time.

24 Dave { 05.08.15 at 8:34 am }

Scott, you can ride anything from 4p on!!

25 kelly { 05.15.15 at 2:05 pm }

My son and I will be in Disney October 25-November 1. He is 7 years old and has never been to Disney World. I have tickets for MNSSHP for Tuesday October 27. I am wondering if I should also get tickets for Halloween night. Is it worth the extra cost? Or, do they have other things around the resorts for Halloween that we can do instead? (We are staying at the Pop Century)

26 Dave { 05.16.15 at 3:05 pm }

Kelly, I ‘m sure it’s been done, but I would not buy two nights worth of MNSSHP tix. I’d just say “Halloween is sure early this year!” the 27th. There’s not really any other material trick or treating the 31st.

27 Charlie { 05.21.15 at 7:39 pm }

Apologies if this is a double-post, but I can’t find where I asked this. Does Disney care if your kids wear non-Disney Halloween costumes? One of my kids has her heart set on another character.

28 Dave { 05.24.15 at 10:09 am }
29 jessica { 05.25.15 at 1:49 pm }

i am going to disney for halloween this year and i am going on the 31st
i been reading about the mickeys not so scary halloween party and i am going
but do they do anything extra special for the acual day of halloween on the 31 since it acualy halloween or no i am just wondering if anyone knows

30 Dave { 05.26.15 at 8:13 am }

Not really in the parks, Jessica, but the Disney hotels have some fun on Halloween.

31 Stephen Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:27 pm }

I love this party not too terrorfying

32 Stephen Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:37 pm }

The best part is you get to meet the princesses

33 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:40 pm }

Have breakfast lunch and dinner with the disney princesses or board a not so scary old mansion and explore its terrorfying secrets of the mansion itself

34 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:42 pm }

Or take a fantasy cruise around the world wow is magical no when you visit

35 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:44 pm }

The princess’ meet and greets are fun especially meeting Ariel at Ariel’s grotto

36 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:46 pm }

Hi this is Stephen Casey oneill and I have adored the Walt Disney world resort since I was. Ten the princesses are so nice and I have a magical time every time

37 Stephen Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:50 pm }

The best vacations we’ve been on are ones to wdw

38 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:53 pm }

I enjoy our family trips to Disney since i was ten I always enjoyed the princesses There is also fun shopping and dinning experiences

39 Stephen Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:56 pm }

I so want to go back to Disney in October of this year with mom dad me Ciara Shane Mac Declan Delaney and my sister and. Sean of course

40 Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 3:59 pm }

My favorite princesses are Aurora Ariel Merida Princess Tiana and Merida and Anna and Elsa and Snow White sleeping beauty and Cinderella and belle of course

41 Stephen Casey oneill { 06.27.15 at 4:03 pm }

I forgot to mention My other favorite princesses are princess jasmine Pocahontas Mulan and princess elowyne Princess Leia and many other Disney heirones.

42 Dave { 06.28.15 at 5:13 pm }

Hi Stephen, welcome to the site!

43 Mama { 07.29.15 at 1:48 am }

So, I bought my Halloween 2015 tickets through the Visa rewards pre-order and now my work decided to change the schedule where I can’t go… Can I give my tickets away (because quitting is unfortunately out of the question) or am I basically SOL? I understand they’re non refundable but I’m hoping I can at least give them to someone who can enjoy… Thanks :(

44 Dave { 07.30.15 at 8:52 am }

Mama, I’m sorry, but I don’t think you can, because your tickets should be linked to you…

45 Jane { 08.15.15 at 8:46 pm }

Hi Dave, my friends are going on Columbus Day weekend and are uncertain whether they want to attend the party. Does that time (the Friday before) typically sell out? If so, when? Also, will they need to use up a regular ticket that day to be in a park before the party starts? Thanks!

46 Dave { 08.16.15 at 9:14 am }

Jane, I’d expect it to sell out a day or two before–see this. You can enter the park at 4p with your party ticket (even though the party does not start til 7.) If you want to be in earlier, and/or to use FastPass+ (not available on the party tix for before or after 7) then you need to use a regular ticket day.

47 Scarlett { 08.20.15 at 6:48 pm }

I am going to Disney World October 28-31. I am 16, am I allowed to dress up? I do not look old enough to be mistaken as a Disney character. Is there trick or treating during the day. Thank you please let me know.

48 Dave { 08.21.15 at 12:12 pm }

Scarlett, the “no costumes” rule applies only to adults. No trick or treating except at the special, extra cost party. (PS adults ARE allowed to wear costume at the party)

49 Anonymous { 08.27.15 at 1:45 am }

Thanks for replying… My tickets don’t have my name on them so I was hoping :(

50 Lena { 09.02.15 at 1:58 pm }

When do they start to put all Halloween décor out?? We don’t celebrate so we won’t to avoid the décor. We was planning for early September 2016, should we try for another month?

51 Dave { 09.03.15 at 12:21 pm }

Lena, it shows up in the stores in August, and in the parks (especially the Magic Kingdom) in early September.

52 Shannon { 09.09.15 at 5:03 pm }

I’m so bummed! I just called to buy my family tickets to the party on Halloween night and was told that they are sold out! I’m going to buy them on another night, but now I’m panicking trying to figure out what to do with a 6 and 8 yr old on Halloween night ..

53 Dave { 09.10.15 at 7:52 am }

Shannon, the Disney resorts often done fun stuff on Halloween. See this–from last year.

54 Cherie { 09.13.15 at 11:13 pm }

My family and I will be visiting Disney in September. We are scheduled for our first day at Disney , staying in Disney, on September 28. The Mickey’s not so scary Halloween party is on the 27th. Can we buy tickets for this event without having park admission tickets.

55 Dave { 09.14.15 at 6:59 am }

Cherie, yes. You can attend the party with its tickets alone, without regular park tickets, beginning at 4p.

56 Tiffany { 09.17.15 at 11:57 am }

Do you know if I can swap a magic kingdom ticket for a not so scary Halloween party ticket and just pay difference?

57 Kelly B - Agent with Destinations in Florida { 09.17.15 at 12:31 pm }

Hi Tiffany – Unfortunately the answer is no. One is a park ticket, one is a special event ticket.

58 Dave { 09.17.15 at 1:32 pm }