Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party (“MVMCP”) in 2014

DISNEY WORLD’S SPECIAL CHRISTMAS PARTY IN 2014

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party from yourfirstvisit.netWhile Christmas itself is December 25 of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Christmas celebration at the Magic Kingdom many nights in November and December.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, or “MVMCP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and cookies and hot chocolate, special events, and slightly different Christmas parades and fireworks, and even snow (!) are offered.

The official Disney World page for this event (where you can also buy tickets, when they become available) can be found here.  For a review of MVMCP, see this.

MORE ON MICKEY’S VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS PARTY

This party occurs from 7p-12MN on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in November and December.

The 2014 dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party are as follows:

• November 2014: 7, 10, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, and 30
  • December 2014: 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 19

You need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (note that you can usually enter and enjoy the rides as early as 4p–although your ticket will say 7p)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades and fireworks shows are rare this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening can be less crowded, particularly compared to whenever the Magic Kingdom is doing evening Extra Magic Hours that week

Many families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom. For that reason, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is not designed into this site’s pre-Thanksgiving itineraries.

It is, however, built in to this site’s Christmas-oriented Basic Itinerary, which works for the three weeks beginning the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Christina { 05.02.14 at 12:06 am }

Hey Dave! Love your site, been pouring over it while I plan my trip for Nov 12-19th 2014. :)

I am guessing the answer is no/not needed, but do you have an idea if FP+ can be used during the Christmas party this year?

2 Christina { 05.02.14 at 12:07 am }

* Christina…. typing too fast.

3 Dave { 05.02.14 at 7:02 am }

Christina–see I got your note about spelling!–hi and thanks!! The short answer is no one knows yet…

4 Michelle { 05.06.14 at 1:33 pm }

Do you think the 16th or 20th would be a wiser date choice for the party?

5 Dave { 05.07.14 at 12:26 pm }

Either will be fine Michelle. The 16th may be a little less busy…

6 Allison { 05.08.14 at 2:16 pm }

I was wondering if the 12 of December would be a good night to go to the party? I don’t want to go when it’s busy if I can avoid it, but that is my preferred night. Thanks.

7 Christina { 05.08.14 at 5:58 pm }

Hey Dave, just thought I’d comment on here – I asked a CM via the live chat about FP+ during the ticketed parties, he said it will not be active, due to the more “controlled” crowd levels.

8 Dave { 05.09.14 at 7:45 am }

Allison, I won’t really know until I see Disney’s schedule for December, which should come out soon.

9 Dave { 05.09.14 at 7:48 am }

Thanks Christina!!!

10 Amy { 05.14.14 at 6:52 am }

Great information Dave, thanks! We are going Nov. 14-22, so a lower crowd week. We have never been to a MK EMH (evening) or a MVMCP. Which one would feel less crowded walking around and enjoying rides and the night time entertainment?

11 Dave { 05.14.14 at 7:17 am }

Amy, the party feels quite crowded, but ride waits are still short. MK has an early close on the EMH night it has your dates, so I expect it to be quite crowded and with longer ride lines than at MVMCP.

12 Lori { 05.31.14 at 12:26 pm }

Thinking of doing the dessert party the 20th of Nov during mvmcp because that’s the only night during that week we could get tickets. Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of our time and money? It’s a family of 5 and my husband hates crowds so my thinking is that it would be a good break from the crowds during fireworks. First time doing either of these events!

13 Dave { 06.01.14 at 9:30 am }

Lori, I wouldn’t. The dessert party is off center and not in the best viewing area, and the special fireworks during MVMCP are best seen with your back to Main Street, facing the castle. I’d save the money and brave the crowds…

14 Kristen { 06.02.14 at 7:28 pm }

Hi, I will be visiting 12/16 – 12/22. This is our second time to Disney and our first at Christmas. I am trying to decide whether to do MVMCP early in the week or wait until the 21st where I think we will be able to see all the same things that were at the party? Is this true? Typically do they do the parade during the day or at night, what time? Would trying to book at Tony’s give us a good view if we could score a patio table?

15 Kristen { 06.02.14 at 7:29 pm }

Sorry wasn’t thinking and typed my last name in one of my posts, could you possibly take that post down? I am so sorry! Thank you!

16 Dave { 06.03.14 at 7:06 am }

Done!

17 Dave { 06.03.14 at 7:13 am }

Kristen base don how things have worked in the past, you get the same evening Christmas parade after the 19th, but not the same fireworks. The odds against success at Tony’s are high, since many more have the idea than there are tables. I advise MVMCP for a simple reason: lower waits for MK rides.

18 Matty { 06.03.14 at 8:50 pm }

Do you need a separate park ticket AS WELL AS a ticket to the MVMCP?!? Also, do you think there is any hope of a discount Dec 1-4 in Disney?!? So far looks like we miss free dining by a week. Also, do you know what the weather is around that time?!? Thanks so much and I live your site:)

19 Matty { 06.03.14 at 8:51 pm }

*love

20 Dave { 06.04.14 at 8:40 am }

Matty, so long as you arrive at 4p or later you don’t need anything but the MVMCP ticket. There may be a room rate deal for those dates. For December weather, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/05/26/december-2014-at-walt-disney-world/

21 Nicole { 06.05.14 at 5:13 pm }

We are planning on going to WDW December 14-17 and I was wondering if it will be overly crowded during those times? I wanted to go during the first week of December but the free dining wasn’t offered then. Also can you tell me what the new procedure for the handicap pass? I haven’t been since they changed the rules and am confused about it. Thank!!!

22 Dave { 06.06.14 at 8:08 am }

Nicole, it won’t be too crowded then–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/05/26/december-2014-at-walt-disney-world/ For diabilties, see the top links here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

23 Donna { 06.08.14 at 9:56 am }

Hey Dave, my husband are planning our 16th trip to WDW the end of this year and was wondering, we used the Magic Bands and Fastpass+ last year. Can the bands be reactivated for this year or do we have to get new ones? Also we are making this our give to each other for our 15th anniversary, 5 years cancer free, and my 65th birthday. Any suggestions for something special? Thanks

24 Dave { 06.10.14 at 8:18 am }

Donna, your MagicBands will still work, but you’ll likely get shipped new ones anyway! And what a wonderful set of things to celebrate. If it’s affordable, do Victoria and Albert’s http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/05/23/review-victoria-and-alberts-at-walt-disney-world/

25 Lori { 06.14.14 at 6:26 pm }

I was able to grab a CRT reservation on Dec 4th @ 6:45 pm. Which would you suggest: buying a 1 day park pass for the day, or a ticket to the party? I think the party is less time spent(seeing it will cut into reservation time) but also less money. What are your thoughts?

26 Kim { 06.15.14 at 8:50 pm }

Read bad Reviews of the Party from 2013. Mostly because of overcrowding seemingly brought on by Disney not totally evacuating the park and then reopening it for the party ticket holders. Most said that the cast members just couldn’t manage to evacuate everyone who didn’t have a armband and who managed to stay on for the party without a ticket. Are they learning from that and doing things differently this year?

27 Dave { 06.16.14 at 6:56 am }

Lori, do you have any other park plans? If so, adding a ticket day will be much less expensive than either of these options. Otherwise I’d go with party tickets. They are less expensive–and Disney in the past has let people in at 4p, so you have longer in the parks than you think!

28 Dave { 06.16.14 at 7:04 am }

Kim, those reviews are nonsensical, since Disney never “evacuates” and hence can’t do it well or badly. There’s two types of crowds at the parties: those waiting in ride lines, and those anywhere else. Since ride waits are so short, people feel no need to wait in them. This as a result puts an extra 15-20,000 people in the streets, and the park “feels crowded” at a time when headliner ride waits are 10-20 minutes.

29 Cosette { 06.17.14 at 9:21 am }

Are the times of the two parades confirmed? I assume it’s the same every year? Thank you!

30 Camila { 06.18.14 at 12:40 am }

Can you suggest what kind of tickets i should get for family. First time going to disneyworld. Trip dates are Dec 20-26. I have been reading your comments, and it seems it is a busy week. I dont now if i should get the hopper or day tickets with the MVMCP

31 Dave { 06.18.14 at 10:32 am }

Cosette, no they aren’t and won’t be until the 2014 brochures come out. There are sometimes small changes year to year, and anything is possible, but this is a good forecast til then.

32 Dave { 06.18.14 at 10:55 am }

Camilia, MVMCP has its last show for 2014 December 19, so that’s out.

Your options are regular tix or tix with hoppers. Tix with hoppers will let you avoid some crowds if a. you are staying at a WDW hotel, and b. you can imagine being at a park by 7a to take advantage of morning extra magic hours at park with regular 8a openings.

See the excerpt from our book:
EMH from our book

33 Theresa { 06.18.14 at 7:07 pm }

I wanted to go back for Christmas decorations. When are the decorations up? With low crowds? Thanks!

34 Theresa { 06.18.14 at 7:12 pm }

I heard that if you wanted to go to universal and staying at a Disney resort, the concierge can get you a ride to Universal for $17 RT per person. Is that true?

35 Angie { 06.19.14 at 11:31 pm }

What time do they do the Fireworks for MVMCP? Planning on going a night in mid-December and want to make sure to see them form somewhere, trying to plan accordingly with the kids

36 Dave { 06.20.14 at 7:49 am }
37 Dave { 06.20.14 at 7:51 am }

Theresa, I have not heard that. Many people just contact Mears directly http://www.mearstransportation.com/special-occasions/theme-parks/

38 Dave { 06.20.14 at 8:02 am }

Angie the official schedule is not out yet. Last year they were at 9.30p, and near or at that time is a good bet for now.

39 Cindy Williams { 06.21.14 at 10:38 pm }

Hello. My 180 days out to reserve dining will be Tuesday so I was wondering about how to reserve the Candlelight Processional at Epcot since nothing is out about it yet. When does the schedule of who is narrating usually come out? Since this is our Christmas holiday, I want to make sure we see it! It was awesome when we went a few years ago.
Thanks for any info.

40 Cindy Williams { 06.21.14 at 10:39 pm }

I meant to say the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package.

41 Dave { 06.23.14 at 8:41 am }

Cindy, they were available last year on July 9 (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/07/happy-holidays-booking-for-candlelight-processional-packages-at-epcot-starts-today/). Suggest you just make all your ADRs, then when the processional package becomes available, call back to re-book into it.

42 jennifer { 08.07.14 at 2:39 pm }

Hi! We are going to Disney from December 10-14. Should we go to MVMCP on the 11th or 12th? Does it matter?

43 Dave { 08.08.14 at 10:56 am }

Jennifer it doesn’t matter a lot. Either should be fine!

44 Priscilla { 08.22.14 at 3:22 pm }

We are planning on going Dec 7th, will that night be crowded? Hope not!

45 Dave { 08.24.14 at 1:12 pm }

Priscilla the short version is no. The longer version is that there are two types of crowds–crowds on the streets, whihc are high during the parties, and waits for the rides, which are low.

46 Anna { 09.01.14 at 9:51 am }

Is the week of November 10th a good week? Also, would you recommend going to the MVMCP twice? My husband and I have never been, we currently have tickets for the 13th but are thinking about maybe the 10th also? Magic Kingdom is our favorite park. :)

47 Elaine { 09.03.14 at 6:11 am }

So our family is going for the first time to DW and going to the Christmas Party on 12/9. I see it starts at 7:00. Not know what at all to expect, should be ready and set to see the whole thing from 7 to 11 or will the party show the same things over and over again during the night. We’re wondering if fitting dinner in at 6:30 would miss seeing something important. Thanks!

48 Dave { 09.03.14 at 8:11 am }

Anna that is a good week, tho the first day or two might be busy! See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

MVMCP twice is awfully expensive. I can’t really recommend doing it twice but if you can afford it why not??

49 Dave { 09.03.14 at 8:32 am }

Elaine there will be set schedules for the parade (twice) the fireworks (once) and several of the special shows. Disney traditionally lets people in with their party tickets beginning at 4p (even tho the party starts at 7p) , so I would aim for an earlier dinner than 6.30p at MK, then ride some lower wait rides between 4 and 7. At 7 head to the traditionally higher wait rides (whihc will have low waits) til the fireworks show, then see the second parade and any shows you missed that are still on after that.

50 Elaine { 09.03.14 at 9:47 am }

Thank you so much for your help :) !!

51 Ryan { 09.10.14 at 2:58 pm }

Hello Dave. Absolutely wonderful site!

I have dinner reservations for 6:15pm at Be Our Guest, and I just realized it’s a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party night. Do you think it will be a problem if we don’t have tickets for the Christmas party? Will we need to be out of the park by 7pm?

52 Dave { 09.11.14 at 7:27 am }

Ryna, you won’t need to exit BOG at 7p, but when you are done with dinner, you will be asked to leave the park.

53 Crystal { 09.11.14 at 3:32 pm }

We went to the party in 2011. It was so great. The staff did a big sweep kicking everyone out without a wristband. It was cool to see. We basically walked on all the big rides we wanted. The park itself was quieter and we had no trouble getting around. We went again in 2013 and chose Dec 10 because it was expected to have lowest wait times and not be so crowded. It was awful. We waited over an hour to get on the Jingle Cruise and all other rides had terribly long wait times. It was soooo crowded. I can’t imagine being there during Christmas week. You couldn’t move on Main Street. My feet were being run over by strollers, my kids were very nervous not being used to crowds. People were shoving and pushing. I almost cried when we left. Such a waste of money. Completely different from the last time we had went. I’d love to go back but only if the crowds were more controlled like the first time. Or tickets were more limited.

54 Dave { 09.12.14 at 9:21 am }