Halloween 2014 at Walt Disney World

DISNEY WORLD’S SPECIAL HALLOWEEN PARTY

Halloween 2014 and Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.netWhile Halloween itself is October 31st of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Halloween celebration at the Magic Kingdom many evenings in September, October, and perhaps even August 2014.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party,” or “MNSSHP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and trick or treating, special events, and different parades and fireworks are offered.

The official Disney World page for this event can be found here.

Click the image below for the 2014 map and offerings.

And you can find a review of the 2013 MNSSHP party here.
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Prices 2014 Attractions and Dining

MORE ON MICKEY’S NOT-SO-SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY in 2014

Street Art at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.netThis party occurs from 7p-12MN  on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in September, October, and some years (but not 2014) even early November.

2014 Halloween Party dates are:

• September 2014: 1, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26, and 28
  • October 2014: 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 31

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Prices 2014You need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (but typically you can get in as early as 4p, even though the ticket will say 7p.)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket
  • It’s not clear yet if, or how, FastPass+ will work for MNSSHP

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades are rarer this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening waits can be much less long

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.net

Many families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom.

For that reason, Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is not designed into this site’s itineraries.

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Kelle { 02.11.14 at 4:13 pm }

Planning my first WDW trip from Australia and this party is a must for us. My daughter just wants to experience the trick a treating US style. We are really looking forward to this event. She can’t wait to see the headless horseman
Any tips? Avoid the rides and see the shows and characters? Or must dos?

2 Dave { 02.12.14 at 8:13 am }

Kelle, see my review here–tips are towards the end: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/09/24/review-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

3 Lisa { 02.24.14 at 2:58 pm }

Kelle,
Just my opinion if you guys are into the villians at all this is the ONLY time that i am aware of to meet the VIllians. Last year we met Malificient and the Evil Queen after the dance party at the castle. There isnt much time so you have to make sure that you are right at the castle in front waiting after the dance party. It was really amazing and they were great. We also met Flynn Ryder and the Princes with their Princesses which only happen at the halloween party and maybe at Christmas and were able to meet the seven dwarfs. Do your research this time of year is the only chance to meet certain characters.

4 Scott { 02.24.14 at 7:03 pm }

Kelle,

To expand on what Lisa said, we did the Halloween Party last year and the Christmas Party the year before and felt the Halloween Party was a better value. My wife and I are not fans of Halloween and love Christmas. However, we really enjoyed the treat or treating and the Halloween parade.

5 Kelle { 02.24.14 at 10:10 pm }

Lisa & Scott,

Thanks so much for the extra tips. As I said Halloween is overly celebrated in Australia and my daughter is a huge fan of the villains especially Jack Skellington, so basically planning this trip around this event. Thanks for all your help

6 Dave { 02.25.14 at 7:10 am }

Great point, Lisa!!

7 Lisa { 02.25.14 at 11:38 am }

You bet. Oh and if you like Jack Skellington and Sally you will have to investigate if he will be there this year. He was there last year but we didnt get to meet him. I think the halloween is fun because there are the characters you normally would not get to meet out. If you plan it right and find out what times they will be where and at what locations you can meet them all. Why Disney world does not let the villians wander around at other times is beyond me i guess they do that at disney land though?? Who knows. If your daughter meets Maleficient Ill tell you she is rather impressive!!

8 Lisa { 02.25.14 at 11:40 am }

I enjoy your website Dave. We have gone 3 times to the disney world halloween party but i like your website because there is a lot of information on here even if you have gone before.

9 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:21 pm }

Thanks, Lisa!!!

10 Larisa { 02.25.14 at 8:37 pm }

I don’t see where they say the cost of the ticket? Does anyone know how much it is?

11 Larisa { 02.25.14 at 8:38 pm }

omg nevermind….lol Obviously wasn’t looking good enough

12 Dave { 02.26.14 at 7:27 am }

The prices you are seeing are for 2013. 2014 prices have not been announced yet.

13 Lea Armstrong { 03.04.14 at 11:44 pm }

My husband and I took our grandson last year and we plan on taking him again this year. We had the BEST time at the MNSSHP. I would recommend anyone going at least once. Not to mention, I want to give a shout out to Disney for thinking of the military! Their military ticket prices are a great deal and you can also get a military discount on the MNSSHP.

14 Dave { 03.05.14 at 7:48 am }

Thanks, Lea!

15 Lisa { 03.19.14 at 10:21 am }

Hey there ! I noticed on your September MNSSHP prediction dates you left off September 30th? I know that from the last three times that we went they were all on Tuesdays like your prediction just wondering why you left the 30th off is it for a reason like they only have so many during September or just a guess. Considering that is the day that we would go to the Halloween party i got a little scared lol

16 Dave { 03.19.14 at 12:07 pm }

Lisa, MK is showing being open til 9p on 9/30–so I can’t forecast a Halloween Party that night.

17 Annette { 03.19.14 at 12:23 pm }

Hello everyone, my family and I are going to WDW for the first time this October. It is going to be my husband and my 10 yr wedding anniversary. I like to plan ahead, so I’ve been looking all over the web for the answers to my questions with no luck, so I decided to ask the more experienced party goers for some input.
I already booked our trip, which includes park hopper tickets. I’m wondering what happens to the guests who are in the park already – are they asked to leave at 7 pm or can they stay? I see that you’re predicting that the party will take place October 9th, well, that is the date of my anniversary and I was hoping to book a dinner at the castle for that night – will that still be possible and if yes, will I need a separate party ticket to come into the park that night?
Thank you.

18 Dave { 03.20.14 at 7:45 am }

Annette, you can book a meal–if available, these book out in moments when they become available 180 days ahead–for a start time as late as park close–that is, 7p on a party night. If you don’t have party tickets, then when you are done dining, you will be required to leave the park.

19 Lisa { 03.20.14 at 1:26 pm }

I am starting to annoy myself with my questions! Sorry but what are your thoughts on the Halloween party on Sept. 28th? I see that they are closing on (sunday) the 28th at 7pm. Could that be the Halloween party. I heard that they are addings some Sundays?
We are only going there from Sept 27-30th and really dont want to miss the party but if it is on Sunday i would think the crowds would be bigger then on a Tuesday. So may have to change our dates. :)

20 Annette { 03.20.14 at 9:51 pm }

Dave, thank you so much for your prompt reply to my question. I think I’ve decided to buy the party tickets for all of us for the 9th, this way we’ll do it all in one night (dinner and party). I’ve read that if I stay at a WDW resort, I can book a dinner reservation 180 days before I arrive and then I can reserve a dinner for every day of my stay, up to 10 days. 1. Do you know if this option will be available for the castle and 2. Since I’ll have tickets to the party, would I be able to book a reservation for after 7 pm, or will the restaurant close with the regular admission closing?
Thank you again, I am so happy to have found your website, it is full of fantastic information.

21 Dave { 03.21.14 at 8:21 am }

Lisa Sunday is a very common party date, and I do expect to see one the 28th. The crowd issue at the parties is for the trick or treat lines. Ride waits tend to be just fine even on “crowded” party nights. Personally I’d suggest skipping the trick or treating to way late and focusing on rides…

22 Dave { 03.21.14 at 8:33 am }

Annette, yes, you will be able to book any available ADR ten days ahead of your arrival date. The full name of the castle meal is “Cinderella’s Royal Table.” On booking during the party–no. And thanks for the kind words about the site!!

23 Swatt { 03.27.14 at 2:08 am }

I’m excited to see you predict Nov 2. I noticed the last time a November mnsshp landed past Friday and into a new week was in 2009 and Halloween was the last date. So there’s reason to hope for a nov date this year? That would be great!

24 Swatt { 03.27.14 at 2:09 am }

And great site!!!!

25 Dave { 03.27.14 at 9:27 am }

Hey Swatt! There’s been a November party every year since I’ve been paying attention (that is, since 2009). In 2009 it was Nov 1 see http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar/date/2009-11-01 –as it is most, but not all, years. In 2014, either there will be no November party, or it’ll be Nov 2, and as you know my forecast is the 2nd…

26 Kim { 04.10.14 at 10:49 pm }

Hi there!
Do you happen to know when Disney changes the park over to the Halloween decorations? We are taking our kids for the 1st time this year and I wanted to take them when it wasn’t decorated for Halloween…save that for next time… I’ve heard they decorate the last week of August. Wondering if anyone knows for sure. Thanks!

27 Dave { 04.11.14 at 7:59 am }

Kim, I don’t especially as there’s some thought that Disney may be beginning the halloween party at MK as early as late August this year…

28 Michelle { 04.21.14 at 11:49 am }

Hi Dave – What night the week of 10/17-10/25 do you think will be least crowded for the halloween party? We were thinking of doing a resort breakfast, then pool day or something and arriving in the afternoon at MK and staying for the party… thanks for all your help!

29 Dave { 04.21.14 at 1:56 pm }

Hi Michelle, the school-night parties draw fewer locals, so either the 21st or 23rd would be what I’d recommend.

30 Michelle { 04.28.14 at 2:52 pm }

Do they not do “Wishes” on MNSSHP nights? it seems like that is what i am seeing on the calendar… all the days we planned to go to MK (reccommended days) there are no “Wishes” – but we will need to change our plan to atleast be able to see it once……….

31 Dave { 04.29.14 at 8:15 am }

Nope–on MNSSHP nights, there’s a special fireworks show only for those at the party, so no Wishes. The least crowded nights to Wishes during the party season are the second days of two days in a row of Wishes.

32 Jennifer { 05.02.14 at 2:47 pm }

What is your opinion on going to MNSSHP on Halloween? According to Touring Plans, crowds don’t look too bad, but not really sure….

33 Melanie { 05.04.14 at 1:00 am }

Do you have a recommendation for which park to go to on Halloween when you are planning to attend MNSSHP earlier in the week? Do any of the other parks do anything special that day/evening? Can the kids dress up in costumes?? We are planning to go to HS that day as of now?

34 Dave { 05.04.14 at 11:09 am }

Jennifer, if the intent is to trick or treat, then I wouldn’t. The lines for candy are always much longer than the lines for the rides–and that is even worse on halloween. Conversely, seeing rides through the first parade works like a charm, as so many people are in the candy lines!

35 Dave { 05.05.14 at 6:48 am }

Melanie, kids can always dress up on Halloween! Because both Epcot and AK have EMH, the Studios is the best choice if you are not going to MK that day!

36 Paul { 05.05.14 at 3:14 pm }

Dave, in your linked review you write that all of the major rides and most of the minor ones are open during the Halloween party. Is there a complete list available? One member of our party wants to make sure to take her son on the Jungle Cruise and I want to make sure it is open for them. For the rides that are closed, are they open all day and then close at 7pm for the party? In that case, could we enter the park at 4pm and ride those rides that will be closed during the party first before they close for the party?

Thanks again for all of your help! The site and the information is incredible!

37 Dave { 05.05.14 at 5:35 pm }

Hi Paul, and thanks for the kind words! The list may even have come out today, but I don’t have my hands on it. FWIW, Jungle Cruise was NOT on the list last year. But yes, you should be able to ride it between 4 and 7p!

38 Elizabeth { 05.06.14 at 12:10 am }

Do they do anything special at any of the other parks or resorts for Halloween night? We plan on attending MNSSHP on October 28th, but I was hoping there may be something special in the other parks (since MK is having a Halloween party the 31st)?

39 Dave { 05.06.14 at 7:13 am }

Elizabeth, not that I recall…

40 Lisa { 05.12.14 at 5:54 pm }

Thank god i listened to you when you said you didnt think that the party would be on Sept 30. I actually changed our plans to go to the party for the 23rd and was betting that with your knowledge i bet you are right. You were!!

So no time to celebrate here is the next question lol I have paid and hoarded for my tickets to the park and room tickets package by using Disney gift cards. I dont use a credit card unless absolutely necessary! SO my question is i know that the Halloween party is a different even can i still use my gift card to pay for it??

Thanks

41 Dave { 05.13.14 at 12:13 pm }

Lisa, you can use your gift card!

42 Lisa { 05.13.14 at 12:56 pm }

Thank you!! Ahhh credit card debt free :)

Helpful hint to people… we know at least 9 months prior to when about we are going. We start telling people for christmas, bdays, anything to give disney gift cards they dont expire. Then no eating out and all that save save save put it on a gift card. You can pay for your room package or tickets to get in the park :) When you get home from your vacation the credit card bills arent there still waiting for you.

43 Dave { 05.14.14 at 6:54 am }

Great idea, Lisa!

44 Amy { 07.01.14 at 6:50 pm }

We our driving from TN to Miami in October and decided to surprise the kids with a stop at Disney World on our trip down. We’ve been to Disney World before and have used this website to do all our planning (for which we thank you for so much!). This is our first time to visit at Halloween so we decided to go to the Halloween party. I read where you said to ride the rides first, go to the second parade, then do the trick or treating and character meet ups. My question is, do the character meet ups and trick or treat go right up til midnight too? Also, do they typically let party ticketers in at 4pm, or is that just hit or miss?

45 Dave { 07.02.14 at 3:13 pm }

The trick or treating goes on all night, Amy. The characters will vary, so you’ll need to check when you are there to find their hours. Disney has always in the past let people in at 4. It could change that anytime, but that’s been how it has worked…

46 Mary { 08.07.14 at 2:00 pm }

I’ve been told by a cast member that one of the coolest days to visit is the day before they switch from Halloween decorations to Christmas (overnight). We’ve been to both halloween and christmas several times but thought it might be cool to do both within a couple days. Any idea when the switch usually happens?

47 Dave { 08.08.14 at 10:50 am }

Mary, I don’t know exactly when. It’ll be between 11/1 and 11/6…

48 alicia { 08.31.14 at 11:58 am }

Do the resorts or downtown disney do anything fir halloween ?

49 Dave { 09.03.14 at 7:52 am }

Alicia–nothing special.

50 Emma { 09.29.14 at 8:55 am }

Will there be any Halloween celebrations in the other parks (or even downtown Disney)? The tickets for October 31st were sold out and we wanted to celebrate Halloween somewhere at Disney world.

51 Dave { 09.30.14 at 6:49 am }

Hi Emma, not really, that I can recall…

52 Mary { 10.06.14 at 11:40 pm }

We just decided to come to Disney and will be there 10/30-11/1. We didn’t know about the Halloween Party so we didn’t get tickets. :( any suggestions as to what we could do for Halloween? My children are going to be so sad to miss trick or treating at MK. Do any other parks do anything? Any help is much appreciated!!

53 Dave { 10.07.14 at 6:51 am }

Hi Mary, so sorry, but not really.