Halloween 2014 at Walt Disney World

DISNEY WORLD’S SPECIAL HALLOWEEN PARTY

Halloween 2014 and Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.netWhile Halloween itself is October 31st of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Halloween celebration at the Magic Kingdom many evenings in September, October, and perhaps even August 2014.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party,” or “MNSSHP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and trick or treating, special events, and different parades and fireworks are offered.

The official Disney World page for this event can be found here.

Click the image below for the 2013 map and offerings.

And you can find a review of the 2013 MNSSHP party here.
MNSSHP 2013 Brochure Map from yourfirstvisit.net

MORE ON MICKEY’S NOT-SO-SCARY HALLOWEEN PARTY in 2014

Street Art at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from yourfirstvisit.netThis party occurs from 7p-12MN  on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in September, October, and some years (but not 2014) even early November.

Official dates likely will not come out until late spring, but here’s my forecast for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party 2014:

• September 2014 forecast: 1, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26, and 28
  • October 2014 forecast: 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 31

Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) 2013 PricesYou need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets. The price schedule on the right is from 2013.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (but typically you can get in as early as 4p, even though the ticket will say 7p.)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket
  • It’s not clear yet if, or how, FastPass+ will work for MNSSHP

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades are rarer this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening waits can be much less long

Woody's Happy Harvest Roundup at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party from yourfirstvisit.netMany families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom.

For that reason, Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is not designed into this site’s itineraries.

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Kelle { 02.11.14 at 4:13 pm }

Planning my first WDW trip from Australia and this party is a must for us. My daughter just wants to experience the trick a treating US style. We are really looking forward to this event. She can’t wait to see the headless horseman
Any tips? Avoid the rides and see the shows and characters? Or must dos?

2 Dave { 02.12.14 at 8:13 am }

Kelle, see my review here–tips are towards the end: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/09/24/review-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

3 Lisa { 02.24.14 at 2:58 pm }

Kelle,
Just my opinion if you guys are into the villians at all this is the ONLY time that i am aware of to meet the VIllians. Last year we met Malificient and the Evil Queen after the dance party at the castle. There isnt much time so you have to make sure that you are right at the castle in front waiting after the dance party. It was really amazing and they were great. We also met Flynn Ryder and the Princes with their Princesses which only happen at the halloween party and maybe at Christmas and were able to meet the seven dwarfs. Do your research this time of year is the only chance to meet certain characters.

4 Scott { 02.24.14 at 7:03 pm }

Kelle,

To expand on what Lisa said, we did the Halloween Party last year and the Christmas Party the year before and felt the Halloween Party was a better value. My wife and I are not fans of Halloween and love Christmas. However, we really enjoyed the treat or treating and the Halloween parade.

5 Kelle { 02.24.14 at 10:10 pm }

Lisa & Scott,

Thanks so much for the extra tips. As I said Halloween is overly celebrated in Australia and my daughter is a huge fan of the villains especially Jack Skellington, so basically planning this trip around this event. Thanks for all your help

6 Dave { 02.25.14 at 7:10 am }

Great point, Lisa!!

7 Lisa { 02.25.14 at 11:38 am }

You bet. Oh and if you like Jack Skellington and Sally you will have to investigate if he will be there this year. He was there last year but we didnt get to meet him. I think the halloween is fun because there are the characters you normally would not get to meet out. If you plan it right and find out what times they will be where and at what locations you can meet them all. Why Disney world does not let the villians wander around at other times is beyond me i guess they do that at disney land though?? Who knows. If your daughter meets Maleficient Ill tell you she is rather impressive!!

8 Lisa { 02.25.14 at 11:40 am }

I enjoy your website Dave. We have gone 3 times to the disney world halloween party but i like your website because there is a lot of information on here even if you have gone before.

9 Dave { 02.25.14 at 6:21 pm }

Thanks, Lisa!!!

10 Larisa { 02.25.14 at 8:37 pm }

I don’t see where they say the cost of the ticket? Does anyone know how much it is?

11 Larisa { 02.25.14 at 8:38 pm }

omg nevermind….lol Obviously wasn’t looking good enough

12 Dave { 02.26.14 at 7:27 am }

The prices you are seeing are for 2013. 2014 prices have not been announced yet.

13 Lea Armstrong { 03.04.14 at 11:44 pm }

My husband and I took our grandson last year and we plan on taking him again this year. We had the BEST time at the MNSSHP. I would recommend anyone going at least once. Not to mention, I want to give a shout out to Disney for thinking of the military! Their military ticket prices are a great deal and you can also get a military discount on the MNSSHP.

14 Dave { 03.05.14 at 7:48 am }

Thanks, Lea!

15 Lisa { 03.19.14 at 10:21 am }

Hey there ! I noticed on your September MNSSHP prediction dates you left off September 30th? I know that from the last three times that we went they were all on Tuesdays like your prediction just wondering why you left the 30th off is it for a reason like they only have so many during September or just a guess. Considering that is the day that we would go to the Halloween party i got a little scared lol

16 Dave { 03.19.14 at 12:07 pm }

Lisa, MK is showing being open til 9p on 9/30–so I can’t forecast a Halloween Party that night.

17 Annette { 03.19.14 at 12:23 pm }

Hello everyone, my family and I are going to WDW for the first time this October. It is going to be my husband and my 10 yr wedding anniversary. I like to plan ahead, so I’ve been looking all over the web for the answers to my questions with no luck, so I decided to ask the more experienced party goers for some input.
I already booked our trip, which includes park hopper tickets. I’m wondering what happens to the guests who are in the park already – are they asked to leave at 7 pm or can they stay? I see that you’re predicting that the party will take place October 9th, well, that is the date of my anniversary and I was hoping to book a dinner at the castle for that night – will that still be possible and if yes, will I need a separate party ticket to come into the park that night?
Thank you.

18 Dave { 03.20.14 at 7:45 am }

Annette, you can book a meal–if available, these book out in moments when they become available 180 days ahead–for a start time as late as park close–that is, 7p on a party night. If you don’t have party tickets, then when you are done dining, you will be required to leave the park.

19 Lisa { 03.20.14 at 1:26 pm }

I am starting to annoy myself with my questions! Sorry but what are your thoughts on the Halloween party on Sept. 28th? I see that they are closing on (sunday) the 28th at 7pm. Could that be the Halloween party. I heard that they are addings some Sundays?
We are only going there from Sept 27-30th and really dont want to miss the party but if it is on Sunday i would think the crowds would be bigger then on a Tuesday. So may have to change our dates. :)

20 Annette { 03.20.14 at 9:51 pm }

Dave, thank you so much for your prompt reply to my question. I think I’ve decided to buy the party tickets for all of us for the 9th, this way we’ll do it all in one night (dinner and party). I’ve read that if I stay at a WDW resort, I can book a dinner reservation 180 days before I arrive and then I can reserve a dinner for every day of my stay, up to 10 days. 1. Do you know if this option will be available for the castle and 2. Since I’ll have tickets to the party, would I be able to book a reservation for after 7 pm, or will the restaurant close with the regular admission closing?
Thank you again, I am so happy to have found your website, it is full of fantastic information.

21 Dave { 03.21.14 at 8:21 am }

Lisa Sunday is a very common party date, and I do expect to see one the 28th. The crowd issue at the parties is for the trick or treat lines. Ride waits tend to be just fine even on “crowded” party nights. Personally I’d suggest skipping the trick or treating to way late and focusing on rides…

22 Dave { 03.21.14 at 8:33 am }

Annette, yes, you will be able to book any available ADR ten days ahead of your arrival date. The full name of the castle meal is “Cinderella’s Royal Table.” On booking during the party–no. And thanks for the kind words about the site!!

23 Swatt { 03.27.14 at 2:08 am }

I’m excited to see you predict Nov 2. I noticed the last time a November mnsshp landed past Friday and into a new week was in 2009 and Halloween was the last date. So there’s reason to hope for a nov date this year? That would be great!

24 Swatt { 03.27.14 at 2:09 am }

And great site!!!!

25 Dave { 03.27.14 at 9:27 am }

Hey Swatt! There’s been a November party every year since I’ve been paying attention (that is, since 2009). In 2009 it was Nov 1 see http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar/date/2009-11-01 –as it is most, but not all, years. In 2014, either there will be no November party, or it’ll be Nov 2, and as you know my forecast is the 2nd…

26 Kim { 04.10.14 at 10:49 pm }

Hi there!
Do you happen to know when Disney changes the park over to the Halloween decorations? We are taking our kids for the 1st time this year and I wanted to take them when it wasn’t decorated for Halloween…save that for next time… I’ve heard they decorate the last week of August. Wondering if anyone knows for sure. Thanks!

27 Dave { 04.11.14 at 7:59 am }

Kim, I don’t especially as there’s some thought that Disney may be beginning the halloween party at MK as early as late August this year…