August 2014 at Walt Disney World

OVERVIEW: AUGUST 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD

August 2014 at Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netThis page reviews August 2014 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, and operating hours; adds a few other notes; and ends with week by week summaries.

There are no great August times to visit Walt Disney World.

The beginning of the month, while inexpensive, is crowded, hot and humid. Crowds moderate over the month, but by the time they hit tolerable levels late in month, the peak hurricane seaosn has arrived…

If I had to go in August, for first time visitors who may never return I’d pick the week beginning 8/9.  While crowds are still moderate this week, it faces less hurricane risk than later, less crowded dates.

If I knew I could return–or was a returning visitor–I’d pick the week of the 23rd–trading off the (slightly higher) hurricane risk for low crowds.

AUGUST 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

August crowds begin high and moderate over the month. Crowds after the 23rd are fine.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 7/26 has a crowd rating of 9/high, the week beginning 8/2 8/high-minus, the week beginning 8/9 7/moderate plus, the week beginning 8/16 6/moderate and the week beginning 8/23 3/low.

See this for more on 2014 crowds at Disney World.

AUGUST 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

August hotel prices begin the month 50% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, but only 13% higher at the moderates and 2% higher at the deluxes.

Deluxes stay at this level until 8/17, when they drop to the lowest level of the year.

On 8/3, prices drop to 7% higher than the lowest of the year at the values and to 4% higher than the lowest of the year at the moderates.

See this for more on 2014 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

AUGUST 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for August 2014. Find the details here.

AUGUST 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

August weather is hot and humid, with afternoon storms common.  It is about as bad as Orlando weather gets.

Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

The hurricane season officially begins on June 1, but hurricanes are rarely a threat until mid-August. The peak of the hurricane season begins then. Hurricanes rarely have an impact on a Disney World vacation, but mid-August begins the period when it is most likely.

AUGUST 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR AUGUST 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

2014 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World Ranked in Order v2Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

7/26/2014 Prices high at values, moderate-minus at moderates, lowest at deluxes. High crowds. Crowd ranking=9. Week ranking=32. Use the FastPass+ High Crowd Itinerary

8/2/2014 Prices low at values, lower at moderates, lowest at deluxes. High-minus crowds. Crowd ranking=8. Week ranking=28. Use the FastPass+ High Crowd Itinerary

8/9/2014 Prices lower at values and moderates, lowest at deluxes. Moderate-plus crowds. Crowd ranking=7. Week ranking=18.  Use the FastPass+ High Crowd Itinerary

8/16/2014 Prices lower at values and moderates, lowest at deluxes. Moderate crowds. Crowd ranking=6. Week ranking=27. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary

8/23/2014 Prices lower at values and moderates, lowest at deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=23. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Jennifer M { 01.15.14 at 10:37 am }

Dave, I cannot tell you how excited we are to be there. Today, in Alberta, Canada, we have wind gusts up to 100km/hr, blowing snow, and its about 3 degrees Celcius. Not very nice. So, my 44 days cannot come soon enough to get out of this weather, and into the warmth of Florida.

2 Dave { 01.16.14 at 7:21 am }

Think warm thoughts, Jennifer!!

3 Rachel { 02.11.14 at 9:06 am }

Good Morning Dave!
I just wanted to extend a HUGE Thank You for all of your help and advice. This site, along with touringplans has been wonderful in planning my family’s August vacation.

With all of your suggestions I was able to secure ALL of the reservations I wanted this morning (including CRT and BOG!!) I couldn’t be more excited and again, wanted to extend my heartfelt gratitude for making this planning experience so much fun!

Now I can relax a little bit…that is until my 60 day fastpass window opens up :)

4 Dave { 02.12.14 at 7:54 am }

Yay Rachel!!!! And thanks so much!!

5 Danielle { 04.11.14 at 3:05 pm }

Correction–I think you mean WEEK RANKING: 28

8/2/2014 Prices low at values, lower at moderates, lowest at deluxes. High-minus crowds. Crowd ranking=8. Week ranking=18. Use the FastPass+ High Crowd Itinerary

6 Dave { 04.12.14 at 9:11 am }

Thanks Danielle! Fixed…

7 Ric { 05.22.14 at 7:49 pm }

Hey Dave,
Needed a second opinion, we arrive 11a Monday 8/25 and leave early Sunday 8/31, so we’ve got 5 full days. I’m following your DisneyWorld FastPass+Lower-Crowd Itinerary v2 but tweaked it a little based on our short days. For example I have us at the parks all day, Tue 8/26 I put Epcot and Wed 8/27 AK, thur 8/28 HS, and Fri & Sat MK. As for Monday, other than a 9p dinner res, not sure where to spend it, any thoughts and should I switch Tue & Wed? Besides my wife & I, we have a 9 & 3 yrold girls.

8 Ric { 05.22.14 at 7:51 pm }

Forgot to ask, since I’m visiting in August, peak rain & hurricane, do you believe in travel insurance?

9 Dave { 05.23.14 at 7:46 am }

Ric I’d certainly swap Tues and Weds, as those are morning extra magic days, whihc are more crowded than days without such. Given the ages of you kids, I’d spend more time 8/25 at MK. The three extra FP+ will be handy!

10 Dave { 05.23.14 at 7:49 am }

Ric, there’s so much fine print to travel insurance that I don’t make a blanket recommendation either way. Note Disney’s own hurricane policy here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/warning-rescheduling/

11 Alexa { 07.19.14 at 3:17 am }

Hey Dave!
I recently found and amazing deal to go to Disney World from 8/19-8/25, but i’m really scared of the crowds. Should I book it? I’m going with my sisters we’re all 23ish, so we love the thrilling attractions and shows rather than the kids attractions. Thank you.

12 Dave { 07.20.14 at 8:31 am }

Alexa, crowds will be moderate that week. See http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/