By using any of this site you consent to my brand-spanking-new Privacy Policy, and also that this site is kinda hot.

By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2018, the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever.

Available on Amazon here.

September 2018 at Walt Disney World

WHAT IS SEPTEMBER 2018 LIKE AT DISNEY WORLD?

September at Disney World combines low crowds with low prices, and typically also has nice deals as well.

This makes it a great month for returning visitors.

But it has lousy weather, combining continuing summer heat and humidity with the peak of the hurricane season, making me not so keen on the month for first time visitors who may never return.

Note also that picking the right park to visit each day is critical at this time of the year.  See this, and use the comment form below to ask me about your specific dates!

SEPTEMBER 2018 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

On a crowd scale of 1-11, all September weeks are at the level of 2 or 3.

See this for more on 2018 crowds at Disney World.

SEPTEMBER 2018 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Prices begin the month  5-10% higher than the lowest of the year at the values, 10-15% higher at the moderates and the lowest of the year at the deluxes.

• At the values, prices increase to 20-25% higher than the lowest of the year on 9/16
  • At the moderates, prices increase a bit on 9/16 to 15-20% higher than the lowest of the year
  • At the deluxes, prices increase to 10-20% higher than the lowest of the year on 9/21.

See this for more on 2018 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

SEPTEMBER 2018 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for September 2018. Find them here.

SEPTEMBER 2018 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

September weather at Disney World is hot and humid, with afternoon storms common.

The hurricane season officially begins June 1, but hurricanes a rarely a threat until mid-August. The peak of the hurricane season begins then.

Hurricanes rarely have an impact on a Disney World vacation, but mid-August begins the period when such an impact is most likely. All of September is in this period.

Disney World Temperatures and Percentile Distribution Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

DISNEY WORLD SPECIAL EVENTS IN SEPTEMBER 2018

The 2018 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival continues through the month.

The 2018 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has many dates in September.

SEPTEMBER 2018 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds. Opening hours may change to 8a.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available about six months in advance. Major hours updates–often with later closes–can happen a month before.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR SEPTEMBER 2018 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2018 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

Click the image for a calendar view of 2018 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge).

9/1/2018 Moderate prices at moderates, low prices at values and deluxes. Lower crowds. Crowd ranking=2. Week ranking=20. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

9/8/2018 Moderate prices at moderates, low prices at values and deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=22. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

9/15/2018 Moderate prices at moderates and values, low prices at deluxes. Lower crowds. Crowd ranking=2. Week ranking=21. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

9/22/2018 Moderate prices. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=24. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

9/29/2018 Moderate prices. Moderate-minus crowds, better earlier in the week, worse later. Crowd ranking=5. Week ranking=25. Use the Lower Crowd Itinerary

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 April H. { 03.29.18 at 9:08 pm }

I am planning a trip for Sept 8-15 with the following itinerary planned: Saturday Epcot, Sunday MK, Monday HS, Tuesday MK, Wednesday AK, Thursday HS and Friday MK. It will by myself, my husband and almost 2 yr old son. I have planned MK 3 days due to his age and the need for potential breaks from the heat. It will be first visit for the little guy, 2nd for my husband and 6th for me I think. If you see any glaring errors with the days I’ve chosen please let me know. I have low expectations for what we will be able to accomplish and have done a spring break trip with high crowds so I am semi confident that we will be able to tour successfully. Thanks!

2 Dave { 03.30.18 at 8:42 am }

Hiya April this looks mostly great to me, just a couple ofnotes:

On Saturday World Showcase will be crowded, especially in the evening, with tipsy locals doing Food & Wine

On Friday MK has morning EMH–are you eligible, and up to arriving early? If the answer is no or no, as the third MK day you can still make it work with judicious FastPass+

3 Jeff { 03.30.18 at 11:13 pm }

We are heading to WDW 9/20-9/25. This will be the 2nd trip for me, my wife, and our 6 year old boy/girl twins. We will be staying at Bay Lake, so we are looking forward to being able to walk to MK. We also stayed there last time and it worked out great.

I am having a little trouble deciding on which parks on which days. Right now, I am thinking of heading to MK in the afternoon/evening on our arrival day (9/20), MK on 9/21, HS in the morning and then jump to AK on 9/22, Epcot on 9/23 and then finish with MK on 9/24.

I like the idea of having our first full park day at MK (and it is a party day so hopefully less crowded) and having our last day at MK. But that puts us in MK on a Monday which I think is typically the busiest day for MK. We spent by far the most time in MK during our last trip.

I’m also not sure about the split plan on 9/22 since we will be hopping to the park with EMH that morning (AK). My son really wants to see the light show on the tree of life so we definitely want to be there one evening. And I want to go to HS first because I’m sure Toy Story Land will just get crazier as the day goes on and we may try to sign up for a Jedi Training at rope drop.

I’ve considered moving Epcot to Saturday 9/22 but I know Epcot gets kind of crazy on Friday andSaturday during Food & Wine.

We also are considering doing MNSSHP one night but aren’t sure if it will be worth it. We would be primarily interested in extra ride time with low waits. Would Friday or Sunday be better?

Any suggestions?? Thank you so much!

4 Dave { 04.01.18 at 9:42 am }

Hi Jeff, a poignant set of issues. Here’s what I’d do with your goals:

Thursday: AK in the evening
Friday: MK
Sat: Epcot
Sun: HS (for morning EMH), then a nap, then the halloween party
Mon: Sleep in, then return to your favorite.

IF you can arrive before EMH at HS on Sunday, then I would do the Sat/Sun swap. Epcot will be crowded and rowdy (for WDW…) Saturday, especially in the evening, in World Showcase, but rides and Future World should be fine. MNSSHP will definitely let you avoid some ride waits (except Peter Pan and Seven Dwarfs). Sunday is a slightly better choice than Friday.

5 Jeff { 04.01.18 at 1:26 pm }

Thank you very much Dave! I really appreciate it. As much as I like the idea of walking over to MK on arrival day, I think heading to AK is probably the best option. Your suggestions sound great!

6 Jessye Best { 04.08.18 at 12:04 pm }

Hello! My husband and I will be visiting September 4-12th and staying at all Star music. The fifth would be our first park day and we have a be our guest reservation so MK that Day for sure, but we need some help planning the other 7 days. Our only other plans are chef Mickey’s on the 8th at 830 am.

7 Dave { 04.09.18 at 6:43 am }

Hi Jesseye!
9/6 avoid Epcot
9/7 avoid Epcot and MK
9/8 avoid MK, Epcot, and AK
9/9 avoid HS
9/10 avoid AK and MK
9/11 avoid Epcot
9/12 avoid MK

8 Sherri Shaw { 04.09.18 at 4:13 pm }

We are heading to Disneyworld Sept 9-19. This is our 3rd trip for my husband, myself and our 16 year old son. So far our days look like:
Sunday Sept 9 – travel day and eat at hotel as won’t arrive til 7pm
Monday Sept 10 – Hollywood studios
Tuesday Sept 11 – MK
Wednesday Sept 12 – day off from Disney (Universal)
Thursday Sept 13 – Magic Kingdom
Friday Sept 14 – Epcot
Saturday Sept 15 – AK in the am and Epcot PM
Sunday Sept 16 – AK
Monday Sept 17 – day off from Disney (Universal)
Tuesday Sept 18 – HS then to Epcot
Wednesday – am in the parks (familys choice) then back to hotel at 1pm to depart

I am hoping this works as we have ADR in most of the parks. the 2nd day at Universal we are doing 1900 Park Lane for dinner. What do you think?

9 Dave { 04.10.18 at 8:45 am }

Hi Sherri this looks really nice, except I think you are over-scheduled. I have no great suggestions on what to cut, as you are not “overvisiting” any parks except possibly having a half day more than you need at Epcot (unless Food & Wine is part of the point of your trip), but you may well run out of steam by e.g. Saturday and need some or all of that day off.

Epcot will be busy each of the times you’ll be there. Friday and Saturday World Showcase will be clotted with locals seeing food and wine, and Tuesday the 18th you’ll see a bit of the effects of the evening EMH here. Nothing that sound plans can’t work around, but worth noting.

10 Kris { 04.09.18 at 10:14 pm }

Will be staying onsite from September 22-28
Have 5 days in the parks
Tentatively I have:
Sun 9/23: AK
Mon 9/24: HS
Tue 9/25: MK/EPCOT
Wed 9/26: EPCOT/HS
Thu 9/27: Disney Springs / MK

may try to get back to AK at some point if possible
want to make sure to see Pandora, Rivers of Light there
and want to get in enough time for Toy Story Land
what do you think?

11 Dave { 04.10.18 at 8:56 am }

Hi Kris, this looks good!!

12 Amanda F { 04.20.18 at 2:11 pm }

Hi!
I’m travelling for the first time with my mom and my almost 3 year old Sept 1-9, and following your itinerary. Do you have any recommendations/modifications for toddler travel? Your site is so full of tips! Thank you!

13 Dave { 04.21.18 at 9:44 am }

Hi Amanda!

As you note my itineraries are all designed for much older kids. With a 3yo I would cut a lot of the sit-down dining, limit the time in Epcot a lot and limit it some at HS and AK, skip the dining plan, and change several of the touring plans to eliminate inappropriate rides and add some back attractions(mostly character meets) that for older kids are covered in the dining.

Unfortunately I don’t have integrated plans for this on my site. However, in my book you’ll find for MK and HS plans (called “Character-Centric”)n that work much better for younger kids. For AK and Epcot, cut the rides you find in the top row of the image on this page.

14 Amanda F { 04.23.18 at 1:57 pm }

Thanks Dave,
I know I will have to modify many suggestions…
What are your thoughts on avoiding MK on the Sat they have the Hallowe’en event? I see on your itinerary Sat is an MK day.
Also, how busy/bad does it get at Epcot at Food and Wine? It’s on Friday…
Thanks again for your advice,
Amanda

15 Dave { 04.24.18 at 7:58 am }

Amanda, I don’t know what “Sat Halloween event” you are referring to…

16 Amanda F { 05.04.18 at 4:09 pm }

Sorry Dave,
It was the not so scary hallowe’en party that I was referring to on 9/3, 9/7, 9/9.
And thoughts on the food and wine?
I followed your lower crowd itinerary to a tee for Sept 1-9 bookings (because I love the guidance) so I was just nervous about those two events and my plans.
Any further suggestions/modifications for that?
Thanks again!
Amanda

17 Dave { 05.06.18 at 9:34 am }

Hi Amanda, you’ll be fine!

18 NANCY { 06.14.18 at 1:10 pm }

For line wait times, if you had the option of going to the parks August 31 to September 4 or September 6 to September 10 which do you think would be better? Thank you for your help

19 Dave { 06.15.18 at 7:59 am }

Nancy, the 6th to the 10th, but do see this.

20 Gini { 06.21.18 at 11:06 am }

We are staying on property from September 16-21. Our tentative plans are EP on 9/17, HS or MK on 9/18, HS or AK on 9/19, and MD or AK on 9/20. What do you think?

21 Dave { 06.22.18 at 9:44 am }

Gini, those are all good choices!

22 Rachel { 07.06.18 at 11:19 pm }

Hi Dave!

I’m so happy to have come across your page. My fiancé and I have been planning a trip to Disney for Sept 22 ( coming in at night to hotel) to Sept 30th( our flight leaves at night) We have a 11,2, and 1 yr old. We were planning on doing MK on Tuesday for the Halloween party. Can I ask your advice on what days would be best to do the other parks? Thank you!!

23 Dave { 07.08.18 at 8:37 am }

Hi Rachel, and so glad to help! To pick the number of days in each park, see this
9/21 avoid MK and Epcot.
9/22 avoid all but HS
9/23 avoid HS
9/24 avoid MK and AK
9/25 avoid Epcot
9/26 avoid MK
9/27 avoid Epcot
9/28 avoid MK and Epcot
9/29 avoid all but HS
9/30 avoid HS.

24 Rebecca { 07.13.18 at 1:10 am }

Hi there, so I’m a total newbie to all things Disney world and was lucky enough to stumble across your page. We have 2 adults and 2 kids (7&10) first timers and have 6 day magic your way tickets with hopper. We arrive at Disney property on 17 sept and was planning for 6 day ticket to begin from 18 sept to 23rd September. I have no idea about which order to do the parks in, I’m aware we won’t get to see or do it all. We also have tickets for mickeys not so scary Halloween on 17th September. Any advice or pointers you have about how to best maximise our time would be so greatly appreciated.

25 Dave { 07.13.18 at 1:18 pm }

Hi Rebecca! I’d do two days at MK (plus your party), and at least one day at each of the other three parks. For your sixth day, you probably will want another half day at one of the other three parks. Take a scan through this–which also includes critical FastPass+ info you need to know–to help pick a park for your sixth day.

9/18 avoid Epcot
9/19 avoid MK
9/20 avoid EPcot
9/21 avoid MK, Epcot
9/22 avoid all but HS
9/23 avoid HS

I don’t have daily plans that will work for you on this site, but you can find them in my book. The HS plans in the book are out of date, but we will be updating them, and you get a free update if you buy the book.