By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2017, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here. PDF version available on Gumroad here.

Disney World Military Discount 2012

DISNEY MILITARY DISCOUNT 2012

The military discount for Disney World in 2012 is up and detailed on Disney’s special offers page.

The Disney Military Discount for 2012 is in effect an extension and doubling of Disney’s military discount for 2011.

Eligible personnel may buy and activate a total of twelve 4-day tickets for $138 each over the period from the beginning of the 2011 program to the end of the 2012 program.

The 2012 program ends September 30, 2012.  There’s a different program that begins October 1 2012 and extends into September 2013.  Click here for more on the FY13 military salute.

ONE MILITARY DISCOUNT PROGRAM FOR 2011 AND 2012

There is in effect just one military discount program that covers the period ending September 30 2012.

So families that already bought some military discount Disney World tickets in 2011 can now buy more, up to a total of 12 including those already bought; families that have not yet bought any can buy, activate and use up to twelve between now and September 30, 2012.

However, only 6 tickets can be activated or used in any 7 day period.

The price is a savings of ~$100 per ticket compared to Disney’s normal 4-day ticket prices.

Those eligible to purchase these Disney Military Salute tickets include active and (career) retired members of the US Military, including the National Guard, Reservists, and the Coast Guard, and their spouses.

My friend Steve of MilitaryDisneyTips.com notes that permanently disabled veterans with military ID with a DAVPRM status are also eligible for this offer.

Valid military ID is required at the parks themselves to activate the tickets.

For more, see this page.

DISNEY MILITARY ROOM RATE DISCOUNTS

Disney World is also offering discounted room rates to service families.  See this page for more.

ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS

Steve’s MilitaryDisneyTips.com is a great resource for military families.  He answers frequently asked questions about these programs on this page.

LINKS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

1 Stacy { 03.22.12 at 3:34 pm }

I was wondering if we were staying eight days, can we buy a 4 day pass and also use another 4 day pass for the remainer of the stay at disney? There is 2 adults and 2 children in our family.

2 Dave { 03.22.12 at 7:56 pm }

Hi Stacy!

You can use the military salute tix for 4 days and then buy a regularly priced Disney ticket for 4 more.

But you can’t use two military salutes tix for 8 days unless there’s a seven day period separating the last day of the first ticket and the first day of the second…Does this answer the question?

3 John { 04.09.12 at 4:09 pm }

It seems the 6 total tickets every seven days does give you the opportunity to use two 4 day tickets back to back as long as you are not over the 6 per week activation. If this is not the case, when does the 8th day start? Does it start after the last day you use the ticket or the first day?

4 Dave { 04.09.12 at 4:38 pm }

John, you are right. You can activate 6 on day 1, use three for four park days each, then three more for 4 more park days.

5 sal { 04.10.12 at 12:16 pm }

I am an honorably discharged marine.. I have a disability rating from VA. I am not currently on active duty or reserves.. Does the discount still apply? They way I am reading it, it doesn’t apply.. Is that true?

6 Dave { 04.10.12 at 4:02 pm }

Hi Sal, you are eligible for the discount if you have an ID with “DAVPROM” noted on it…

7 Renea { 04.20.12 at 5:38 am }

Hello…My uncle purchased tickets for our family, 2 adults and 2 children. He lives on the East Coast and was planning on coming to CA for a vacation in May. He is now unable to come to CA and isn’t sure if we would be able to use the tickets without him being present, as we aren’t military at all, only he is. He was under the impression without the service member present the tickets are not about to become active. Do we loose our money, due to our inability to active the tickets? Is there anyway we can utilize the tickets without him being present? Thanks for your response.

8 Dave { 04.20.12 at 7:26 am }

Hi Renea, unfortunately your uncle is right–he needs to be at DL in person at the time of activation…he can then turn around and leave, but you can’t use the tix unless he can make it to activate them…

9 Pam { 04.20.12 at 5:27 pm }

Hi Dave:
First thanks for all the answers and time you put into getting all this answers.

Having read as much as I can, I can see nothing on wether Canadian Military can take advantage of these offers. We did have a friend from here go to Sea World a few weeks ago with family and they gave them all free entry.(young Kids) My family is husband, myself, 21 and 18 yr old. Also a niece with her husband in military going. Any Disney coverage? Thanks for your response I appreciate it.

10 Dave { 04.20.12 at 6:22 pm }

Hi Pam, I’m not aware of any current non-US military discounts. A Canadian forces base would have someone, somewhere, who would know if such does exist, as would a canadian travel agent with great expertise in Disney. See also this: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/15/who-is-eligible-for-which-military-discount-at-walt-disney-world/

11 Anonymous { 04.29.12 at 10:52 pm }

my mother have the id and she want to know if she have to buy too the ticket to activate us the tickets because she dont want to enter the parks thanks

12 Dave { 04.30.12 at 7:42 am }

She doesn’t have to enter the parks, but she does have to be at the ticket booth at the first park…

13 jordan { 05.12.12 at 5:52 pm }

Hi, I was wondering if my boyfriend’s parents (who have military IDs and his dad is active in military) if they could purchase my family’s tickets? They aren’t attending, but my boyfriend is 19 and has a military ID, but I haven’t read anything about a military’s son being able to buy the tickets and being the one to activate them at the parks. We would only be going for three days for the $99 discount, and it would only be me, my nanny, and papa – along with my boyfriend.

14 Dave { 05.13.12 at 8:35 am }

Jordan, whoever bought the tickets–the parent in the military, or the spouse–has to be present in person at the park to activate the tickets. They can then go away having been with you for just that moment–but they have to be there then…

15 Rose { 05.17.12 at 8:56 am }

Hello, I was wondering if there were any discounts for honorably discharged Veterans ?

16 Dave { 05.17.12 at 9:30 am }
17 kendrick { 05.18.12 at 8:52 pm }

HELLO, I AM A %50 DISABLED VET. DO I QUALIFY FOR THIS DISCOUNT. I SERVED 8 YEARS IN THE ARMY AND WAS DISCHARGED MEDICALLY FROM A GUN SHOT WOUND TO THE STOMACHE?

18 Dave { 05.19.12 at 8:39 am }
19 Military ID tickets - dependents { 05.21.12 at 1:53 am }

My ex (active military) gave my kids the Disney military tickets to use in June. He will not be there with us. All three of my kids have a military issued ID card. Can they get in on these tickets with their ID cards? What about me, can I get in with their military ID since it says “friends and family?’

20 Dave { 05.21.12 at 6:03 pm }

Hi, it depends what tickets they have. If they have “Armed Force Salute” tix, then he needs to be there in person to activate them on their first day of use. If they are simply “regularly discounted” tix, then both you and they should be fine…

21 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 05.22.12 at 11:21 pm }

Hey Dave, Base ticket offices receive 2 different types of tickets from Disney, based on what Disney happens to send.

The first type are “ready for use” and can be taken directly to a theme park turnstile and used. But the other type needs to be exchanged at a disney ticket window and a military ID will be required for the exchange. I’m not sure if a dependent ID will work for this.

So, the above poster needs to also determine if they are not AFS tickets, if they are ready for use or not.

22 Dave { 05.23.12 at 7:32 am }

Steve, thanks a million!!

23 Khrispy143 { 05.28.12 at 5:50 am }

Hi! My son just left for Disney World (driving) from Texas making a few stops along the way and is staying at Animal Kingdom on a military rate. I was doing some reading and just noticed that he is honorably discharged but not medically. He has his DD-214 with him as they requested documentation stating that he was a veteran. What is going to happen when he arrives at the hotel to check in?

24 Dave { 05.28.12 at 8:22 am }

Hi, I’m not sure…if he did the Military salute room rate discount, I thought he had to be active or retired…

25 Gary Sprague { 06.04.12 at 9:47 pm }

hi, i am a honorable discharged veteran with 70% service connected disability. Am i eligible to get discount tickets to disneyworld? If so, how do i go about getting them? Thanks in advance.

26 Dave { 06.05.12 at 7:27 am }
27 Debbie { 06.06.12 at 9:04 am }

My husband served 2 tours in Vietnam-Passes away in 2003-Death attributed to Combat Related-I am an unmarried surviving spouse-Received my benefits every month from the VA-Want to take my grandchildren to the Disney theme parks in August, 2012-I have a photo ID(stating army widow) from the Local VA office( it is called a give back card)-Have my husbands DD-214 form, Award letter (indicating combat related death,marriage Marriage License and Death Certificate-Am I entitled to the Military Promotional offer-I am getting conflicting information-Please let me know if I am and what information is required. Thanks so much.

28 Dave { 06.07.12 at 6:45 am }
29 joyce { 06.17.12 at 10:56 am }

any news in military discount for oct 2012 — i have heard we will hear by mid july any news

30 Dave { 06.17.12 at 11:24 am }
31 meg { 06.18.12 at 8:53 pm }

Can the kids get this discount with their own I.d.s

32 Dave { 06.19.12 at 7:05 am }

Meg, only the military member or spouse can purchase or activate these tickets.

33 Santi { 06.21.12 at 11:47 am }

I have a question but it’s about Disneyland in California. I don’t know if it’s the same as in Florida. so sorry if this is out of place. My 10 year old and me are traveling in July to visit my relatives. My uncle is a veteran and served in Corea. My first question is if he’s elegible to buy these military tickets for us in the Disney booth? He’s obviously a senior citizen now and has some trouble with his legs, so he won’t be joining us in the parks, but he could buy the tickets and activate them for us, I guess.

My second question is if he has to buy a ticket for himself too, since as I said, he wouldn’t join us into the park., or if he can buy only our tickets and activate them for us.

34 Dave { 06.21.12 at 1:20 pm }

Santi, I’m not sure about Disneyland. Suggest you go to MilitaryDisneyTips.com and ask there

35 erlinda { 06.25.12 at 4:25 pm }

we are planning to go to Disney land with my 6 relatives and we have 4 kids total of 12 going to the Parks. Can I buy 6 tickets for my relative and my Husband will buy 6 fof us and use them the same day?

36 Dave { 06.25.12 at 4:58 pm }

Erlinda, maybe, but my guess is no. Disney in general allows more than 6 tickets to be active in any 7 day period only because an immediate family is larger than 6. It depends on how they interpret whether your relatives are “immediate family”…I’ll see if I can get an expert opinion on this as well…

37 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 06.25.12 at 5:39 pm }

Hi Erlinda,

Dave asked me to tag in on your question. There are a couple of issues that come to mind.

I am assuming that you are a dependent not a military member. If that’s so the ticket eligibility is based on your husband. He is eligible for up to 6 at one time. If he couldn’t go you could get tickets in his place (up to 5). If however you are also a military member then you each are eligible for 6.

As Dave mentioned Disney does make allowances for large families. But by that they mean a Mom, Dad, and their dependent kids, not Adult kids, grand kids, cousins, etc. So as an example a family of 7 (mom, dad, 5 young kids) could get 7 tickets.

Now I know for a fact, people have had luck talking to Disney ticket castmembers and getting more than 6 tickets in situations other than what I mentioned above. It’s all in the delivery and luck. But just know beforehand what you are eligible for and cross your fingers.

Hope this helps! Steve

38 Dave { 06.25.12 at 5:47 pm }

Thanks Steve!!

39 Don { 06.27.12 at 8:56 pm }

Dave, thanks for the informative site. I am a retired AF member. I’ve read through but have not found and answer to this question concerning the 4 day military discount tickets. I beleive you actually get a voucher that you (that is the sponsor with the valid ID card) have to take to a ticket window to exchange for actual tickets, then the sponsor and guests actually using the tickets then pass through the turnstile. Here are my couple of questions. 1. Do all 6 people have to be physically at the ticket window to exchange the voucher for the tickets. 2. Once I have all 6 tickets can we wait until the next day to go through the turnstile to count as day one. We are trying to avoid standing in line for the voucher/ticket exhange then another line for the turnstiles becasue we typically really like to be the first through the turnstiles when they open in the morning. We were hoping we could go to Downtown Disney or another location to change the voucher for the tickets the day before. If this can’t be done, do you know if the ticket windows open even earlier than the added Magic hours early AM openings. Many thanks.

40 Don { 06.27.12 at 8:59 pm }

Sorry Dave!, I misidentified whose site this is.

41 Dave { 06.28.12 at 7:10 am }

Hi Don, you need to activate them at fist use–so you can’t do it in advance. At least one park–HS–has a guest services window outside the turnstiles (through security, then far left.). I don;t know its operating hours, though… You don’t have to all be together, but you have to be there with each person for each activation (some cast members will let this slide, but you can’t count on it).

42 Dave { 06.28.12 at 7:10 am }

Got it, fixed it!

43 Mary { 07.06.12 at 7:05 pm }

Hi. I am glad that I found this site which has a lot of great information.

My family is coming to Florida at the end of the month. My dad is retired military and we saw this great deal. I talked to him about purchasing it for the family so that we can go.

Now, I am wondering that if he purchases the tickets and goes with us to the ticket window to activate the tickets, does he physically have to go in the park with us? I mean if there are 6 people, including him, can we only buy 5 tickets and use them. Mainly, I am curious if they have some way of distinguishing HIS one ticket from the rest of the 4 tickets

Thanks in advance!

44 Dave { 07.07.12 at 2:23 pm }

Hi Mary! No, once he has activated them with you he does not need to enter the park himself. If he doe snot enter the park, his ticket will not be tied to him (by fingerprint) until he does.

45 Mary { 07.08.12 at 9:05 pm }

Awesome! That is great news. I am the only one in my family that has been to all 4 parks so my brother and nephews are super excited to finally visit them all and this is a super awesome deal to do so. This will be a great trip. Thanks a lot for the information Dave! And great website for tips!!

46 Dave { 07.09.12 at 4:53 am }

Thanks Mary!

47 brittanie { 07.13.12 at 1:31 pm }

I’m planning a trip in december and my dad is retired military so i would love to use this discount. Have you heard if they are going to do it again after the september deadline?

48 Dave { 07.13.12 at 2:07 pm }

Hi Brittanie! The short answer is that there’s no real news. For the longer answer, see this: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/07/08/no-extension-for-disney-armed-forces-salute-fy2013-re-offer-still-possible/

49 Tara { 07.16.12 at 3:37 pm }

Ok so we are going in Sept and are only going to parks 2 days, does the military have any 2 day tickets???? if so i need to know how to find these prices online. Thanks in advance

50 Dave { 07.16.12 at 4:42 pm }

Hi Tara, the only version of this deal is the 4 day deal. You likely can get two day tickets from a base with a moderate discount–e.g. no tax, maybe another few percent as well. Also check out this page on MouseSavers: http://www.mousesavers.com/tickets.html

51 Michael { 07.20.12 at 10:18 am }

I am in the Air Force Reserves and will be activated during the month of July and August. A friend of mine will be taking care of my kids during this time. He will have a power of attorney of my daughter and she has an active ID Card. Would it be possible for them to use this discount. IT would be my daughter, my friend who will be in charge of her and his daughter. Thank you for your help

52 Dave { 07.20.12 at 10:42 am }

Michael, I’m not sure, and will see if I can find out more, but I strongly doubt it. The policy is that the member or spouse must activate in person at the gate…and they are pretty strict about this, as its the only way for them to make sure that the deal is going to whom they intend it for..

53 Deb { 07.20.12 at 11:47 am }

Hi,
I purchased the military discounted tickets for my son and grandchildren and have a family emergency and cannot attend with them. They alreayd have their hotels, car rental etc so they cannot change their trip. I copied my military ID and wrote a letter with it stated the issue. I bought them at the local ITT office and the ticket states ticket to activiate just go to the turnstile. Will a letter from me be enough for him to get in?

54 Dave { 07.20.12 at 2:42 pm }

Deb, I’m not sure, but I don’t think they will be able to get in…I’ll see if I can find more info…

55 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 07.20.12 at 4:58 pm }

Hi Gang, Dave asked me to tag in on the last poster’s questions.

First I’ll outline the two different types of military discounted Disney tickets that are available currently at Base ITT (Ticket Offices).

The 4-day Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets ($138/$165) are a fantastic offer that has been going since 2009 are very restrictive. There are restrictions on the number of tickets allowed and also that the military member or spouse must be there at Disney to activate the tickets, and must have one for themselves. The last day these tickets will be able to be used is 30 Sept. 2012.

Disney makes this special offer so the member can go with family and/or friends before or after a deployment to spend time together in the parks, or so the spouse can take the kids while the member is deployed.

The other type of tickets are the regular military discounted Disney Magic Your Way tickets. These are slightly discounted tickets (4%-8% based on length and options) just like you could buy at Disney’s ticket windows at the parks. With these there is a very important consideration. When Disney sends these tickets to base ticket offices there are two different kinds that they could send. Those that are ready for use and those that need to be exchanged at the parks.

56 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 07.20.12 at 5:12 pm }

Hi Michael,

I just retired form the AF Reserve in March. Be sure to see my ticket description above.

Since you can’t go I don’t think that Disney will allow your friend to activate Armed Forces Salute tickets. As I see it you have 2 options:

Play it safe and get the regular discounted tickets and save a little, be sure they are ready for use!

Or roll the dice, have them go there without tickets and try to buy AFS tickets from a Disney ticket booth with your daughter’s ID and the power of attorney. I really don’t think it will work, but it might, the Disney ticket sellers seem to have quite a bit of latitude to stray.

If they won’t let them buy the AFS tickets they could go by Shades of Green to try to get the slightly discounted tickets, also this might or might not work.

Do you have a buddy at Patrick, MacDill, or Homestead who’d drive over to activate the AFS tickets for them when they are there? You’d have to buy him a ticket too.

57 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 07.20.12 at 5:22 pm }

Hi Deb,

Be sure to see my ticket description above. Did you buy the $138 or $165 Armed Forces Salute 4-day tickets? If so they will not be able to activate them you must go with them. I’m sure you were told when you purchased them that they are non-refundable.

If this is the type you have there is only one option: There is a possibility that a Disney Manager could make an exception to policy, that they might be allowed to use the ticket’s value toward the purchase of regular gate price tickets which they could then use.

If this is done, Disney will allow the value of the tickets at the price Disney sold them to the military for (which is less than the $138/$165) to be applied toward the purchase of regular tickets.

Note, as this would be an exception to policy and they might not find a manager who will approve it.

If they are the slightly discounted military Magic Your Way Tickets they will be able to use them if they are the “ready for use” type and don’t have to be exchanged.

58 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 07.20.12 at 5:23 pm }

I hope I helped somewhat Michael and Deb.

If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me through my site!

Steve

59 Dave { 07.21.12 at 8:25 am }

Steve, wonderful help as always–I don’t know what I’d do without you!

60 SHINE { 07.24.12 at 8:45 pm }

My family and I went to Disney in November 2011 and we have a few days left on our cards. Unfortunately, I misplaced all of the cards and we are going back in two weeks. What do I have to do to enter the parks without purchasing additional tickets?

61 Dave { 07.25.12 at 7:19 am }

Hi Shine. If you have your receipt it’s possible that they can re-issue your tickets (assuming that you paid for the no-expire option–otherwise your days expired 14 days after first use), but without it or the tickets you will probably have to purchase a whole new set.

62 liz { 08.05.12 at 6:31 pm }

For SHINE — My family did the same thing! We lost our military tickets TWICE. Disney’s guest relations could pull up our info by our names and reissued tickets with the correct remaining days, for FREE. We did this at the guest relations outside one of the waterparks, you could do it at any of the parks.

63 Dave { 08.06.12 at 9:55 am }

Thanks Liz!

64 Marti { 06.10.13 at 1:07 am }

Hi… I’m a 100% vet… My friend who is active duty bought tickets for me. My question is can I use them without her being with me? I tried to call shades of green and they never returned my call.

65 Dave { 06.10.13 at 12:36 pm }

Hi Marti, if she bought the 4-day Military Salute tix, then yes, she does need to be there to activate them.

66 Michele { 02.28.14 at 9:28 pm }

My daughter is 18 and her father is retired Navy Seal. He just got 100% disable veteran. Her ID card has the DAVPRM. Can she get any of the discounts? She is an adult dependent. She is planing a trip with her boyfriend. Does she get any discounts at any of the resorts?
Thanks for any information.
Michele

67 Dave { 03.01.14 at 8:33 am }

Michele, watch for a response from Steve, the site’s military expert.

68 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 03.01.14 at 11:06 am }

Hi Michele,

Unfortunately Disney’s Armed Forces Salute is only for the member or spouse. it’s not for dependents. So no discounts for her via that program.

But dependent’s can buy the Regular Military Discounted Magic Your Way tickets from Base Ticket Offices. These tickets are slightly discounted versions of the tickets sold by Disney.

Here is my price list for Shades of Green (the military resort at WDW) the prices on base would be within a dollar. Note: Disney just had a roughly 5% ticket increase and that is not yet reflected on these prices. The base may need to order them so allow time (2 weeks).

So your daughter or her dad could get these on base, or she could get them at the Orlando ITT: