By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2017, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here. PDF version available on Gumroad here.

Pop Century Refurb Begins

This morning before I drove to the airport I checked on Pop Century, and discovered its refurb has begun.

Carpets and furniture were being pulled out of the first floor east wing of Building 8, the 90s building.

Somewhat surprisingly, people were staying in rooms just ten yards away, around the corner on the south first floor wing.

I did go by before check out time, so maybe they will be out today. The alternative—that rooms will be pounded on in the same building that people are staying in—would be annoying.

Multiple leaked photos of test rooms have suggested that the refurbed rooms will include a queen bed, a fold-down full bed, and (in a first for standard rooms in the value resorts) a coffee maker.

The refurb schedule includes 20 work days (per room).

Day 16 (click to enlarge, but it’s still not that good a photo) includes “Install…Beverage Center” and Day 17 (and 18) includes “Install Inova Bed.”  So the fold-down bed is real, and the coffee maker may be the “Beverage Center.”

Staging of furnishings, etc., is over in the lot between Building 7 and Cars at Art of Animation, so likely the sequence of refurb will go roughly south to north, or 80s/90s to 50s.

I’ll let you know more once some of these refurbed rooms re-open!

The 2017 easy Guide

Kelly B Can Help You Book Your Trip

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Dawn { 03.06.17 at 5:32 pm }

When I booked my room (ages ago) they did send a letter talking about the pools that will be closed..no freebies though! ha!…thanks for the info Ü

2 Laura { 03.07.17 at 8:25 am }

Hi there,
Although the refurb might take 20 days per room, I’m guessing that rooms will be worked on simultaneously. So that leaves me wondering the timeline of when each floor of each building will be completed.

3 Dave { 03.07.17 at 9:04 am }

It looks like, Laura, from reports this morning, that about one-sixth of building 8 is being worked on. What I don’t know is when they will kick off the next group. If they kick off a sixth of a building every week, then, adding some time for the holidays, it will take about 10 weeks to complete a building, and a year and a half –or more– to complete the whole thing.

4 Heidi { 04.09.17 at 7:00 pm }

Hey Dave! I was wondering if there were any updates on the Pop referb. I’m planning on staying in the 60s (building 4 or 5) section May 6-17. I was just curious as to how far this referb has gotten.

5 Dave { 04.10.17 at 7:46 am }

Heidi, not that I have seen, but I can’t imagine it’ll be much beyond the 80s buildings by May.

6 Hannah { 04.22.17 at 11:59 am }

Hi,

Maybe the 80’s/90’s is done, or close to done now? Are they putting anyone in the new rooms yet?

7 Dave { 04.23.17 at 8:59 am }

Hannah, I’m sure a lot are done in the 90s building. Rumor is that they won’t be open to booking until June.