b. How Long to Stay

How Long to Stay      Other Trip Lengths      Itinerary Design Goals

Designing Your Own Itinerary        Shorter Itineraries

HOW MANY DAYS TO SPEND AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

How Long to Visit Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netPlan to spend 9 days in Orlando, arriving late morning or early afternoon on a Saturday and departing in the late afternoon or evening of the following Sunday.

This amount of time balances the time needed to fully appreciate the 4 theme parks (6ish days) with time for breaks from the parks, while fitting into a typical “week off from work.”

If you can’t stay this long, see Other Trip Lengths.

This schedule gives you 7 full days and two partial days in Orlando. The basic itinerary (see this for details) has you spending part or all of 7 days in the parks, with one full day off, two additional mornings off, and one additional afternoon break.

For those with difficult budget or transportation challenges, the time in Orlando can be shortened to 8,  7, or even 6 days: a late-morning arrival day, a late afternoon departure day, and 4 to 6 full days–but only at the cost of making what is already a steady pace a hectic one.

See Other Trip Lengths for details on shorter Disney World trips.

MORE ON HOW LONG TO STAY AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

1 Megan R { 07.02.11 at 12:32 pm }

Hi I just discovered your site. My husband & I are 63 & 70 years old & are planning to take our one grandson to disney & hopefully to Universal Studios. My concern is that we are not going to be able to take the long lines in the heat. We are a bit limited on our spending, to say the least, yet Cameron is our only grandson who has not been to disney, yet promised many times, so we are going to try to take him. He is 9 years old and very active, my husband is having mobility issues, can’t stand for very long plus his breathing is labored. I have a tendency to overheat quickly. We already have a place to stay in Orlando at our timeshare. Can you give me any tips on where to buy my tickets and do they have a special for people to go to the front of the line. Also we are going to have to pack lunches and eat out in the car. Any and all help you may be able to supply me would be great! My daughter just returned from disney and told me to buy my tickets at the state line when we come in as they are only $50.00 per ticket. Do you know anything about that, or would I be subjected to a timeshare sales pitch? Oh yes we are going this month to arrive on the last Saturday in July and check out on the following Saturday. Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to help me with. I only wish I had found this page before today. Blessings to you!

Megan Riffey

2 Dave { 07.03.11 at 10:30 am }

Hi Megan!

What a sweet thing you are doing for Cameron!

I’ll answer your specific questions, but here’s my advice: reschedule your trip and save a little more for it.

The heat humidity and crowds in your period are nearly as bad as they get. Aim for late October or early-mid November instead. For specific weeks see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/11/20/2011-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

I also strongly suggest that you save enuf to rent at least one scooter, and that you also stay in a WDW resort–because of its compactness, among the least expensive resorts I’d give the nod to All-Star Music– http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/07/27/review-disneys-all-star-music-resort/

Staying in a WDW resort means you can use the Disney buses to get the scooter around–they are designed for this.

To answer your specific questions–you can get what is called a Guest Assistance Card at guest relations at any of the theme parks (ask the ticket takers at your first park where guest relations is.) This will help with some lines, heat, etc, but won’t solve the problem of miles of walking to get from ride to ride–hence my thought on the scooter.

For more on Guest Assistance Cards and other ways WDW can help, see PassPorter’s Open Mouse for Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line: Easy Access Vacations for Travelers with Extra Challenges

Regarding ticket prices, as far as I am concerned there’s no free lunch. $50 tickets will either be fraudulent or require sitting thru a timeshare presentation and blowing half a day–which may be worth it given your budget. For more on ticket prices see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/06/12/disney-world-2011-2012-admission-ticket-prices/

On going back to your car for lunch–if you do end up sticking with your dates, here’s a better answer–get to the parks before they open, spend the morning, take the middle of the day off and have lunch back at your timeshare, then come back to the parks in the cooler and less crowded evenings. Even people without the issues you note find the crowds and heat of summer afternoons hard to take.

If you do keep your dates, let me know, and I’ll give you some thoughts on best and worst parks by day so that you can avoid the worst of the crowds…

I’m sorry to be so negative on your dates, but I can’t emphasize enough how much less miserable you will be in the cooler and less crowded times of the year (ps just take Cameron out of school.)

3 Megan Riffey { 07.03.11 at 11:02 am }

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately another time is totally out of the question. I wish it wasn’t. Do you think Cam would enjoy Universal Studios just as much? We want to take him there to. How many days should we plan on staying at each place? Our son and family will be going to disney 2 or 3 weeks after us. Should we buy our tickets together to save money? Again I thank you for your kind help, how nice of you!

4 Kristen Hoetzel { 07.03.11 at 11:05 am }

Megan, as a travel agent I strongly suggest not purchasing tickets at a booth. The state of Florida is getting rid of many of them because they are fake tickets or ones that are being resold. In the case of resold tickets you could find out that they aren’t valid once you arrive.

As far as the heat and crowds it’s going to be high due to last minute vacations before school starts back. The heat is very hard to deal with if you can’t tolerate the heat. I have some medical problems myself and can’t tolerate the heat so in the summer I spend most of my time indoors. I typically go Oct – March to avoid the extreme heat. Also the prices are much lower then.

As Dave mentioned the Guest Assistance Card and getting a scotter. He’s definitely right about getting both of those as there is so much walking and both of those will make it easier as far as mobility and the heat.

Both the All-Star Resorts and Pop Century are great when looking to save money. I do recommend getting a Preferred room at them so you are close to the main building where the buses pick you up. At the All-Stars the walk from the back of the resort to the front can be a long one.

Enjoy planning your trip!

5 Dave { 07.03.11 at 11:38 am }

Hi Megan. I’ll get back to you with more detail later–but to respond to your specific questions, I’d skip Universal. It caters to older children and young adults, and I don’t see it as worth the $300 or so more it will cost for the three of you…that’s better spent on renting scooters at the parks…ther’s no group discount on tickets and you can’t use each others…more later

6 Dave { 07.03.11 at 11:39 am }

Thanks Kristen! great point on the preferred rooms–I forgot about that…

7 Kathy Kelly { 07.03.11 at 10:37 pm }

Hello! One quick note about the Guest Assistance Card. It is a common misconception that this is a “front of the line” pass. It is not. If your problem is mobility and you are renting a scooter you will not need a GAC because you will be directed to the handicapped entrances for various attractions. If your problem is heat intolerance the GAC will only help you use an alternate entrance if the main entrance is outdoors.

I have visited WDW several times with my son who has special needs and if you cannot change your travel to a cooler time of year, then I heartily second the advice above. Plan for slow touring with a break mid-day so you can rest and your grandson can swim. We have vacationed with a family member who is in her 70s and she was shocked at the amount of walking involved with touring these very large and spread-out theme parks. Good Luck to you!

8 Erica { 07.03.11 at 11:37 pm }

If you haven’t been to DW before, the parking lot seems miles away from the entrances. You would waste alot of energy going to get lunch in the car when you could carry in some snacks and buy a sandwich or two from quicky vendors. Not to mention some of the fun is buying a snack or two. You could eat a Pinnochio’s near Dumbo’s ride and it isn’t very expensive either. One thing I remember the first time is how tired my legs were – so save your energy to enjoy the day.
Also, if you use the fast passes that will eliminate long standing. OR if you stand in line for Peter Pan’s flight (which is always long) you can then so sit in Mickey’s Phiharmonic and rest your legs. There are other key places in the park if you need to rest you can such as Tom Sawyers Island, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress. Not the most exiting rides in the park but a great way to take a break after standing in a Space Mountain ride. Another tip, if you are willing to let your grandson ride by himself on the coasters then he can get right on – my husband and rode separate and saved hours of standing in line. If you plan ahead what you want to do, then you can alternate sitting/standing times.
Also we have done the DW resort stay and another time did the time share stay. The Disney hotels aren’t very nice and your time share is probably much nicer. We’ve stayed at 2 mid-range resorts and were not impressed at all plus they are expensive.
Finally we went to Universal and they have two sides which cost separate. We just went to one side and it was okay but was no where near as magical as Disney World. I would just stick with Magic Kingdom for now, I’m sure you grandson will love it.

9 Dave { 07.04.11 at 9:01 am }

Thanks Kathy and Erica!

10 Dave { 07.05.11 at 8:47 am }

Hi Megan!

The general theme of the comments and the conversations I’ve elicited in other forums is to change your date, to change to a Disney resort and rent a scooter, and/or to add another adult or grandkid to the mix, older than Cameron, both to help you out and to provide an escort for Cam when you two are worn out.

I understand that you probably can’t or won’t. So here’s my best shot on that assumption.

You should bring with you at minimum a folding wheelchair. While you can rent these (and scooters) in the parks, the parks run out, and renting at the parks creates another line for you to wait in.

Note the comment about the Guest Assistance Cards—they are helpful, but don’t necessarily send you to the head of the line.

Park in the disabled lot you’ll find at each park (ask a cast member for directions; if you don’t have a blue handicapped placard, point to the wheelchair and explain your issues and most cast members will let you access the lot.)

To beat the crowds and heat, start your days early—plan to be at the turnstiles 30mins before they open—which means being at the parking lot 45 mins before except for the Magic Kingdom, where you should be at the parking lot 60 mins before.

Cherish days with steady rain in the forecasts—these will dampen the fair-weather crowds in the parks.

To further reduce waiting, use FASTPASSES —they come with your tickets for free

Focus on mornings and evenings—aim to be out of the parks by noon or so. Your ticket lets you return to the same park in the same day/evening for free (keep your parking receipt too and you won’t have to pay again for parking.) Do the more popular rides in the morning and the lower-wait ones in the evenings.

Note as per one of the comments you can bring your lunch in—you can’t roll in with a cooler but if you have it discretely in a backpack security will check it and pass you through. Bring also frozen bottles of water…

On the following days avoid the following parks (because they have extra magic hours (EMH) which you aren’t eligible for since you aren’t staying at a WDW resort. These EMHs draw extra crowds to the periods when you can attend—which is why you avoid them.)

Saturday the 30th: Avoid Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Sunday the 31st: Avoid the Magic Kingdom

Monday the 1st: Avoid the Animal Kingdom and the Hollywood Studios

Tuesday the 2nd: Avoid the Magic Kingdom and Epcot

Wednesday the 3rd: Avoid the Animal Kingdom

Thursday the 4th: Avoid the Magic Kingdom

Friday the 5th: Avoid the Magic Kingdom and Epcot

Saturday the 6th: Avoid the Hollywood Studios

Given all these “avoid” dates, here’s a thought on which parks which days:

Saturday: take it off unless you arrive early; if you arrive early, make it to the Magic Kingdom for the 3p parade, the evening parade and fireworks, while (per one of the comments) hitting some lower-crowd, sit-down, air conditioned rides in between (Hall of the Presidents and Carousel of Progress). FASTPASS Mickey’s Philharmagic.

Sunday: Animal Kingdom or Disney’s Hollywood Studios. If the Studios, return late for the second showing of Fantasmic

Monday: Magic Kingdom. Return late for the evening parade and fireworks if you missed them on Saturday

Tuesday—whichever of Animal Kingdom or Studios you missed Sunday (if the Studios, see the note above about Fantasmic.)

Weds: Magic Kingdom

Thurs: Epcot (avoid the World Showcase during the day—too much walking and heat for too little payoff for Cameron). Return late for Illuminations–there are special disabled viewing areas, ask a cast member for directions.

Friday: off

Saturday: return to your favorite park among Epcot, the Magic Kingdom, and the Animal Kingdom (avoid the Studios this day)

Let me know if I can help any more!!

Dave

11 Melissa O { 09.09.11 at 11:47 am }

I love all the addivce you have given. I am planning on taking my 5 year old daughter to WDW next year. My question to you is when should we go? We will have a small buget, and we want to stay on the resort this time. I went with my husband 3 years ago in October and it was nice but still pretty hot. What would you sugest?

12 Dave { 09.10.11 at 2:49 pm }
13 Aaron { 11.14.11 at 5:10 pm }

Great site you’ve got going here. Just had a few questions. I am planning on visiting Orlando with my girlfriend mid January 2012. We are lucky that we can spend up to 10 or 11 days in Orlando to check out all the Disney theme parks and Universal Studio theme parks. Wanted a suggestion which theme parks to visit first, what park hopper tickets to get and if it is worth it to stay in a Disney resort hotel or to stay outside the Disney resort and save some cash.

Since Orlando is filled with theme parks, is it wise to rent a car if staying out side the Disney resorts or just depend on shuttle and public transport? I would think parking would be a nightmare and would be pay parking.

Doing some research I see that some theme parks would require to visit twice to see everything, I am not keen on this and would like to see one theme park per day, maybe alternate between a Disney theme park and a Universal theme park. What would you suggest.

Looking forward to your suggestions and looking forward to seeing Orlando

14 Dave { 11.15.11 at 4:32 am }

Hi Aaron. Regarding whihc to see first, Disney is more crowded Sat-Mon, which means Universal is less crowded then. So I’d frame the basics around that, and then avoid whichever Disney park has morning extra magic hours. The Magic Kingdom needs two days, and Epcot may. You don’t need park hoppers for Disney–with the time you have there’s no need to hop.

You won’t have any luck with public transport, and shuttles can be expensive and inconveninet. I think you are best off staying off site and renting a car.

15 Chinero { 11.15.11 at 10:07 am }

I’m planning a trip to WDW May 20, 2012 – May 27, 2012 for a family of six ages 8, 11, 14, 38, 38, 70. We are following your advice and staying at the All Star Music resort & following your Autumn Spring Winter Itenerary. Do I need park hopper passes? Anything new I need to know? This is our first trip to WDW or any major theme Park.

16 Dave { 11.16.11 at 9:37 am }

Hi Chinero! If you follow one of this site’s itineraries–ie a modified version of this one, which is for a Saturday arrival http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/alternative-itineraries/itineraries-for-the-rest-of-the-year/v2-of-2009-autumn-winter-spring-itinerary/ then you can also use its to-do list–see http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/to-do-list/to-do-lists-for-alternative-itineraries/to-do-list-v2-of-2009-autumn-winter-spring-itinerary/

This itin has you hopping one night. If you modify it so you don’t need ot hop, then you can skip the park hopper ticket add-on.

17 Paula { 02.16.12 at 11:06 am }

Thanks for all you do. My husband and I want to take our 2 sons (7&11) to Disneyworld April 14-17 or April 21-24 arriving on Sat and leaving on Tuesday. During those times which day is best for Magic Kingdom n which is best for Universal as to the less crowded days.

THanks
Paula

18 Dave { 02.16.12 at 12:03 pm }

Hi Paula! First, I’d pick your later dates, as on the earlier ones you may hit the last day or two of the post Easter crowds.

Disney World is busiest Saturday through Monday, which makes those good days for Universal. The best day in your ranges for Magic Kingdom is Tuesday, with Monday the next best day.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

19 Bianca { 03.07.12 at 10:49 am }

I just came across this site. I’ve been to Disney World numerous times and I’m thinking of going again this summer with my kids (boy, girl ages 11 & 12) they have already been 4 times. I can only go the 2nd or 3rd week in August. This trip I wanted to do Disney, Seaworld and Universal. My kids are not thrill seekers and I’m worried they might not enjoy Universal. However, they definitely want to visit Seaworld. I was thinking of purchasing a 2 day waterpark and more Disney ticket and a one day ticket to Seaworld and Universal. What do you think? How many days should we stay and is staying on Disney property feasible? Should I split my stay half on Disney property-half at a hotel closer to Seaworld? Thank you for your help.

20 Dave { 03.07.12 at 12:50 pm }

Hi Bianca…yup, other than Harry Potter, there’s not much at Univeral for kids that age who do not like thrill rides.

If you want to do Harry Potter, stay at a Universal hotle at least one night so you can use its early entry privileges–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/12/13/summary-of-instructions-for-your-first-family-visit-to-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ and this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/07/12/review-loews-royal-pacific-resort-at-universal-orlando/ That also puts you closer to Sea World. Note that you get two days of early entry for one night in the hotel–the morning you check in (you can get your keys at 7a, tho of course your room won’t be ready then :) ) and the day you check out.

You know better than I how many Disney days you want…I’d think at least one for each of the kids’ favorite parks…keep in mind that both those weeks are pretty crowded, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/01/22/august-2012-at-walt-disney-world/

21 chereen { 03.29.12 at 5:36 pm }

Hi dave I’m planning my wdw vaca in may 13-22 2013 . Does disney still have their
pal mickey doll that tours around the kingdoms acting like a gps the last i heard about them was back in 2004.

22 Dave { 03.29.12 at 5:47 pm }

Hi Chereen! Pal Mickey was discontinued in 2008–see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal_Mickey

23 JULIE { 04.12.12 at 3:20 pm }

Hi Dave. We are planning our Familys first Disney trip Oct 12-22. My question is we are arriving on a Friday early afternoon, we are not staying on property but very close by. I have read on your site that we should start at Epcot. My question is, should we still start at Epcot even though it is the food and wine festival? My kids will be 7 and 13 at the time of the trip. We are planning on spending 7 days at the disney parks. Any advice you have would be very helpful.

24 Dave { 04.12.12 at 3:40 pm }

Hi Julie!

It’s “Epcot first” because younger kids–e.g. your 7yo–are often disappointed by it compared to the other parks, so doing it before them means they see it fresh and fairly without comparisons, so I’d still do it first. Food and Wine has little impact on the ride lines, so don’t worry about that…

For your 7 days, a couple of thoughts:

Given all the time you have, try to avoid the parks on Saturday/Sunday/Monday, as they are the busiest days at WDW.

Avoid parks on days they have extra magic hours

Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

25 Amanda Byron { 04.18.12 at 5:23 pm }

Hi there!! What a wonderful page you have! My husband and I are planning our family of 5’s 1st Disney trip. (NONE of us have been if you can believe it, so we are excited!) As of right now we are thinking somewhere between Oct 13- the 27th (probably end up being there for a week give or take) I chose that timeframe per your suggestions. My question is, do you think it’s wise to bring my youngest child? My childrens ages at the time of the trip will be 8, 6 and 14months. Are there accomidations for families with infant/toddlers? or would it be more of a hassle than its worth to bring her along? It seems that heat and crowds wont come into play, so if you know any tips or have suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it!!! I also want to add that Im unsure if we will stay there or with my cousin who lives in Orlando, which would get me the best bang for my buck? (I know there are packages, etc) Thanks so much!!!
Amanda

26 Dave { 04.19.12 at 8:14 am }

Hi Amanda and thanks!

I may sound heartless, but if you can leave your 14 month old with a babysitter you will have a much better trip. While you can work around a baby at WDW, it’s much easier not to have to…

Regarding where to stay…it’s partly a question of where you’d stay if you did not stay at your cousin’s, how far your cousin is from WDW, and if you’d rent a car if you stayed with them. You’d almost certainly save money at your cousins, but with car rental and parking not perhaps as much as you think– especially if your next best choice is a value resort…

27 Jeff Hunt { 07.15.12 at 2:57 am }

Hi Dave. I’m starting to plan my 3rd WDW visit using your site, so thanks for that! I have a family of 4 (girls age 12 & 5) and we’re considering an 8-night stay at a moderate WDW resort sometime between April 3-20, 2013. Based on your charts, I know this is a fairly good time of year to go. But since I have some flexibility on days, I wondered is there any particular day of the week you would recommend to start the WDW visit? Your sample 8 day itineraries start on a Saturday, but you also mention WDW is busiest on weekends. Would it be better to start on, say, a Wednesday so you get only 1 Saturday but 2 Wednesdays? Maybe I’m looking into too much, but it was just a thought.

If you can, I also wonder if you have any advice about dealing with diabetes in WDW? My 12 year old was recently diagnoised with Type 1 Diabetes (insulin shots, etc.) and this will be our first trip since, so we are a little nervous about how that will change things.

28 Dave { 07.15.12 at 9:25 am }

Hi Jeff, and glad the site has helped!

First, on the diabetes front, buy and read this: buy and read this book: PassPorter’s Open Mouse for Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line: Easy Access Vacations for Travelers with Extra Challenges You will find yourself quite reassured.

Second, given your schedule flexibility, don’t even consider arriving until after April 6, because the Easter crowds won;t be gone til then. Any you are right–to minimize both crowds and prices, an early week arrival (e.g. the 7th) is the best choice…

29 Ashleigh { 08.21.12 at 4:12 pm }

Hi Dave, planning a trip for my sone next november 2013, looking at arriving the Sunday after Thanksgiving and staying 4-5 days. I know Disney did a meal plan this year for that week,. think they will again? Should i go ahead and skip the meal plan option now and wait till they release the info? Or if I book will I get refunded?

30 Dave { 08.21.12 at 5:59 pm }

Hi Ashleigh, there’s no telling if they’ll do it again next year–it depends on the economy and its implications for Disney hotel occupancy rates…but if I had to bet, I’d bet they’d do it for that week.

You can get the deal and your dining plan refunded if they offer it and your hotel and arrival dates are eligible, so if you are gonna do the dining plan either way, go ahead and book it!

31 Janet { 09.07.12 at 4:36 pm }

Dave – We are planning a trip to Orlando with our 5 (boy) and 4 (girl) year old grandchildren Nov. 4 – Nov. 7. We were planning on 2 days at Disney. Could you please advise as to which days will be best to go & where & an itinerary. Thanks for your help.

32 Dave { 09.08.12 at 10:33 am }

Hi Janet, with kids that age, you can go focus on just the Magic Kingdom. The best 2 days in your window will be 6th and 7th. I don’t have an itinerary that short, or for kids that young, but you can start with the Magic Kingdom days here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/alternative-itineraries/itineraries-for-the-rest-of-the-year/v2-of-2009-autumn-winter-spring-itinerary/ and edit them based on this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/

33 Maria { 11.23.12 at 7:33 pm }

Very informative site! We’re planning our 1st family trip during Christmas break in 2013 (not going to take kids out of school, so we accept that it’ll be high season pricing). We honeymooned at WDW in 1999, so it’ll be exciting to come back as a family. Our kids will be 10 (boy) & 8 (girl), but our daughter is special needs (non-mobile & non-verbal). She has a wheelchair, but the problem we have is sleeping arrangements. She’s at risk for falling and simple bed rails aren’t sufficient, so we need something low to the ground. Is there anything that can be done? Any recommendations on dates as well? We want to do the holidays on a budget.

I’m going to get the Pass Porter book, since our son has ADHD, and I know it’ll be helpful.

34 Dave { 11.24.12 at 2:26 pm }

Hi Maria! Prices go way up in the second half of December. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/04/walt-disney-world-2013-price-seasons/ and for my recommendations see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/09/19/2013-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/ Off hand I can’t think of any normal bed that will help with your daughter, but would bringing an air mattress work?

35 Liss { 01.07.13 at 2:10 pm }

Hello!

My husband and I are looking to take our 2 daughters (5 & 8) in May for 5-6 nights…is there a savings we could benefit from if we don’t stay over a weekend?? Would it make a difference Thu – Tue, Mon – Fri or any other combination?

36 Dave { 01.07.13 at 6:09 pm }

Hi Lisa!

Many, but not all, of the Disney hotels have two rates within a price season, one for Sunday-Thurs nights and one for Fri and Sat. So if you minimize the number of Fri/Sat nights you book you will save if you are in one of these hotels

If you didn’t already know, note also that there’s a deal that covers your dates—see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/01/03/new-walt-disney-world-discount-mid-february-through-mid-june-2013/

37 joree326 { 01.16.13 at 3:38 pm }

In regards to Maria’s question about a bed for her daughter, I wanted to mention that the Port Orleans-Riverside resort (Bayou section) use to have trundle beds in some of the rooms that were just inches off the floor. This may be an option to consider if they are still available. I hope this helps.

38 Dave { 01.16.13 at 3:57 pm }

Hi Joree and thanks! The trundle beds are now gone, replaced by a short Murphy bed that unfolds from the TV cabinet–see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/11/19/review-port-orleans-riverside-alligator-bayou-rooms/

39 Stephanie { 01.17.13 at 2:15 pm }

Hi Dave, my husband and I want to take our son next January to Disney for his 5th Birthday. Do you think we should start planning a year in advance? Also, I have seen you do not recommend January due to ride closures, but I am pretty sure we will be returning to Disney in a couple of years, so what week in January do you recommend? Thanks for such a helpful site, it’s amazing!

40 Dave { 01.18.13 at 7:22 am }

Hi Stephanie, and thanks!

You need to plan early enough to be able to make your dining reservations 180 days before your arrival. See http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-your-plans-need-to-be-firm/

For January, just arrive after MLK day (1/20/14) and you’ll be fine!

41 Albert { 02.09.13 at 12:57 am }

Hi again Dave. We plan to arrive at the Art of Animation on Thursday April 25th for 6 nights. What do you suggest we do on our first day there and the last day. We’re travleing by plane from Toronto and we should be there by 1pm. Thanks again for your help.

42 Dave { 02.09.13 at 2:16 pm }

Hi Albert, all my itineraries suggest Epcot the first evening, and either MK or downtown Disney the last morning. Ticket days after the first three cost very little (about $11/person/day), so going to the parks on travel days makes a lot of sense. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/06/03/disney-world-ticket-prices-2012-to-summer-2013/

43 Heather { 05.06.13 at 1:42 am }

Hi, great site! I am taking my 9 yr old for his first Disney trip in November, I think. I can stay any amount of time and days. I am staying in the park, so my question is, I would like to go to Seaworld. I know it is not close, should I plan a day and rent a car? Any other ways to do it? I want to use disney shuttle to get back and forth from the airport so the Seaworld trip has to be within the time we are there, not after our trip or anything, thanks for any ideas!

44 Dave { 05.06.13 at 12:54 pm }

Hi Heather and thanks! The most straightforward way to do Sea World is to rent a car the night before. It’s simpler than you might think–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/02/28/renting-a-car-at-walt-disney-world/

The best days at Sea World tend to be the weekend and Monday–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/12/15/when-to-go-to-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ (about Harry Pottter, but applies ot all the non-Disney parks).

Other options include getting a cab, or arranging with someone like Mears for a shuttle…

With your “any amount of days and time”–cool! See this, and add two days–one for Sea World, and then another off day: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-long-to-stay/

Hope this helps!!

45 Wendy { 05.25.13 at 3:00 pm }

OK, Dave, we are coming up to our 180 day window! Very exciting! I would like to run our plan by you…we are planning Magic Kingdom first since we have young kids in our group and they might focus on that many days, and for our kids, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are what they are most excited about!

Here is the plan…

Our trip for 10 people is Nov 23 – 29th this year. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge. We have people 5 – 67 in our group – it will be so fun!

We are planning on one reservation a day – since we are a large group at such a busy time of year…here is the plan!

Sunday – no early hours – Magic Kingdom
princess make-overs at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for the three girls in the AM – 10 or
11? for three girls
Be Our Guest – dinner reservation – as early as possible
We might NOT be able to get this…many report they cannot get one even in the first
minutes. What should be our backup?
Cinderella’ s Royal Table – it is pricey, but we are up for it if that looks better than
Akershus or if we want to do 2 character meals.

other ideas? Liberty Tree? Plaza?

Monday – early Animal Kingdom
if it gets too busy…Epcot – mid-day
lunch – Yak & Yeti at AK

Tuesday – Hollywood Studios
back to Animal Kingdom

??? for all? our son would like the Sci-Fi Drive-in at HS, I think…but may not be
a hit for all 10 of us. What do you think?
We loved the Brown Derby at HS 15 years ago (before kids!) – but again, not sure
it is a fit for all

Wednesday – Epcot
breakfast 10ish – Akershus Banquet (Character Meal – our only one?)

Thursday – nothing?
early – Magic Kingdom?
lunch – Whispering Canyon Cafe at our hotel
dinner – Artist Point at our hotel

Friday – early Epcot??
Magic Kingdom??

head the airport about 3:00 PM…

Any comments? Ideas?

As always, thanks for taking time to help us plan well for a wonderful trip!

Wendy

46 Dave { 05.25.13 at 3:16 pm }

Hi Wendy, looks good! My main comment is that the back-up to BOG should be Crystal Palace. BOG has a wonderful setting going for it, but limited food options of appeal to kids. Crystal Palace is a buffet, so all can find something to delight in…and everyone loves Winnie the Pooh!

At HS, Sci-Fi is an adequate choice. Brown Derby likely will be too boring for the kids, and high-priced. The fun of 50’s Prime Time works much better with smaller tables–e.g. 4 or 5…

Hope this helps…

47 Wendy { 05.25.13 at 7:13 pm }

Thanks – just the help I needed…

Wendy

48 Tracy { 05.28.13 at 12:09 pm }

Dave, We will be going to Disney for the first time with our boys 4 1/2 and 81/2 during Christmas Break this year!!! I know this is the busiest time of the year but it works for our schedule!! We are arriving early the 27th of December and leaving late evening on the 4th of January. Please give me some planning advise if you have time! We would like to make reservations for 1 meal a day. Also when do the New Years Eve festivities becuase available? Will the Dining plan cover that meal for New Years? Is there a list of the buffets that are covered? We are staying at Carribean resort a pirate room of course.

49 Dave { 05.29.13 at 6:48 am }

Well, Tracy, you’ll be facing 3 hour waits and park closings…I would strongly urge finding other dates.

But if you are set on these, then this itinerary (which includes dining suggestions) is a pretty good fit: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/12/06/summer-itinerary-for-walt-disney-world-v2/ It’s called “Summer Itinerary” but is in fact a “High Crowd Itinerary.”

There’s no special tickets for the New Year’s Eve events. You–and hundreds of thousands of others–just show up with standard park tickets, and you reserve meals like on any other day.

Finally…and I may seem like a meanie but I’m just calling them as I see them–the Pirates rooms are the worst rooms at CB. CB is already a remarkably convenient resort, and the Pirate Rooms are the most inconvenient rooms there–see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/12/review-the-pirate-rooms-at-disneys-caribbean-beach-resortresort/

50 Tracy { 06.23.13 at 10:33 pm }

I am traveling to DW for the very first time the first week of Dec 2014 with 10 people. We would like to stay at a Disney resort and would like to know when would be the soonest we could make reservations. We are all adults, youngest is 16 two 18 one 20 one 21 one 23 to 45 and two seniors needing mobility help. Any suggestions for my crazy group? Look forward to hearing from you.

51 Dave { 06.24.13 at 7:32 am }
52 Ryan { 10.23.13 at 9:45 pm }

I am planning on taking my family on our first Disney trip together. I have been to Disney world 4 times, my wife once. I have two boys that will be 7 and 5 at the time. We are taking your advice and going during one of the weeks in December. My question is what type of dining would be best since we won’t be doing any princess events. Also what itinerary should we follow if I am thinking about a Tuesday-Tuesday trip? My boys want to stay at the cars hotel. Any advice on room? We are AAA members. My wife doesn’t like the thought of animal kingdom, should we even go? My kids love Star Wars, pirates, Pixar. Your site is great. I appreciate any help. Should we book this far in advance or wait and see. Thanks again

53 Dave { 10.24.13 at 7:36 am }

Ryan first book your dining now or you will be shut out entirely!

As you note, my itinerary won’t quite work. Not only does it have different start and end days, but also it’s longer and aimed at older kids.

BTW I have several itineraries-this is the one designed for the first 2/3 of December: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/basic-itinerary-daily-links/

The simplest fix is

1. Start it on Tuesday with what it shows as Tuesday, and then as the weekend rolls around fill back in with the Saturday and Sunday stuff at the beginning
2. With the ages of your kids, and your trip being shorter, cut the Epcot time, and use this to filter out some of the more scary rides http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/
3. Don’t skip Animal Kingdom–whatever your wife is imagining it is, she’s not right. Better to experience it and then not like it than to assume you won’t.
4. Kill Cinderella but keep Akershus…
5. See this for more on the Cars rooms: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/08/28/photo-tour-of-a-cars-family-suite-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/ Request a lake view room on an upper floor

Well then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

54 Carla { 02.10.14 at 7:40 pm }

Hi Dave…..I just found your site. What a wealth of information! Our family will be in Orlando from July 15-25, 2014 . I know it is a very busy time of year but we are extending a family cruise and these are the only dates that work. My kids are 12 and 14 so we can break up the parks to get a reprieve from heat and crowds. I was going to buy a 7 day park hopper with water parks added on. Does this sound right? Do you know anything about the Wyndham Buenaa Vista resort? I found some places on verbose.com that look really nice (we aren’t interested in the timeshare but these are rented from owner). I really like lots of space and a cooking facility when I travel. Do you recommend renting a car or just using shuttles? I was looking a at “mouse savers” website to book tickets if you think his is a reliable site. This trip might break the bank but I want to do it right and have some time to relax. We are from Vancouver Canada and have done Disneyland before. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your assistance. Carla

55 Dave { 02.11.14 at 7:54 am }

Hi Carla! I’m not keen on staying off site, especially during busy times, but it can be less expensive. You will need a car, and you’ll have to pay for parking. For a trip that long, you don’t really need a hopper, and the “waterparks” option is overpriced unless you think you’ll go to the waterparks–which will be just as crowded–twice or more. I don’t have much to say about the lodging options you raised as I can barely keep up with the WDW hotels…and Mousesavers.com is a great source of good deals!

56 Ann { 03.06.14 at 12:29 am }

What a wonderful website you’ve created.

My family and I are planning to visit Orlando in May. We can go anytime from May 3 – 17.

This is our first time to Orlando and Disneyworld; and we do not plan to return again. In addition to Disney World, we would also like to visit the Kennedy Space Center and spend a day at the beach.

My husband does not ride (motion sickness) and my son is only 7 1/2 years old. Any guidance that you can give regarding which parks to visit and in which order would be great. We love Harry Potter and Star Wars.

For accommodations, we prefer more up to date hotels and more spacious rooms. We are considering the Hilton Doubletree. Would you recommend it or is there a better choice for us.

Thank you in advance for your help.

57 Dave { 03.06.14 at 8:41 am }

Hi Ann!

First, I only attend to the Disney hotels, so can’t comment on the Doubletree. My advice is to stay on property, as that way you can make FastPass+ selections before your arrival. My hotel rankings are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/ Based on what you’ve noted, the Contemporary would be a good–though expensive–choice.

Your son is old enough to enjoy pretty much everything. For Disney that translates into a 9 day trip, and adding Harry Potter would add a day, as would KSC.

Example itineraries for May are linked to from here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/basic-itinerary/alternative-itineraries/

If you are Star Wars fans, you need to know about Star Wars Weekends https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/hollywood-studios/star-wars-weekend/

58 Savannah { 05.25.14 at 12:23 pm }

We will have five people going on the trip with us. We are on a budget but planned to stay on a WDW property. It seems that we can only book a suite for five people but that does not work for our budget. Is there anyway we can book a four person room to help save on cost (we would bring an air mattress for the fifth person)?
Thank you for this wonderful site!

59 Dave { 05.26.14 at 7:41 am }

Savannah, for any number of reasons–no room ticket, no FastPass+, the risk you take of being evicted–the air mattress won’t work well. To fit five for the least money, aim for either two value resort rooms, or, if one of your party is short enough, a five person Alligator Bayou room: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/11/19/review-port-orleans-riverside-alligator-bayou-rooms/

60 Kristen { 07.04.14 at 2:50 am }

What an incredible site you have and you are AMAZING at responding! A rare quality indeed. (I LOVE your advice about 1st day at Epcot. Definitely taking note of that and agree!!)

We are planning a DisneyWorld Feb 2-5 with our 5 year old daughter. We will be driving from TX (have done this previously when she was 13months). We want to stay on site with some character (pun intended) to the room. I know we are nearing the 180 day mark and
When do they start releasing any “specials” or discounts for Feb dates, if any?
Are there are any dining deals during that time? We have gone full-on dining there with no plan (honeymoon) to almost-no-dining there (her trip at 13months). Just not sure what the best options – I’m all about bringing my own food for lunch, having snacks on us, eating breakfast at room, etc. but I also want the best for my $$ when we spend within the park.
Princesses… we want to do Cinderella’s breakfast and the Boutique… any others that a 5 year old Disney-loving-princess-obsessed girl needs to have in her repertoire?
We plan on 4-5 days of actual parks… do we *need* the park-hopper for any reason?
I will read up more on your site and again and am thrilled to see such fine responses from you to those of us who are so needy when it comes to Disney wisdom. :)
Thanks!!

61 Dave { 07.04.14 at 8:33 am }

Hi Kristen and thanks!!! I wouldn’t expect to see any deals for then until December or so, and don’t expect to see free dining in 2015 til August–but do think you’ll get a room rate deal. Note that booking now won’t preclude your ability to try for a room rate deal later. And with a five year old and 4-5 ticket days, I don’t think a hopper is needed.

The value of the dining plan varies, but it makes the most sense for families with lotsa kids under ten who are planning a lot of one credit character meals. Cindy is a two credit meal, and is cheaper in cash than using two credits (unless you would otherwise return home with an un-used credit, or throw a credit away on something you don’t really want to do but are doing just to absorb the credit.) One credit princessy meals worth considering are Akershus at Epcot (see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/10/31/review-princess-dining-at-akershus/ ) and 1900 Park Fare at the Grand FLoridian (see the mini-review later on this page: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/05/22/review-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-spa-page-3/ )

And no you don’t need a hopper with that many days!

There’s a couple of room options that are princessy–Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation (expensive for a value, rarely discounted) http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/09/23/review-standard-little-mermaid-rooms-disneys-art-animation-resort/ and Royal Rooms at POR (expensive for a moderate) http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/12/30/review-royal-rooms-port-orleans-riverside/

Hope this helps!!