By the co-author of the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook ever -- The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit.

New Year’s Eve 2014/2015 at Walt Disney World

2014 NEW YEAR’S EVE AT DISNEY WORLD

Fireworks at the Magic KingdomNew Year’s Eve festivities will happen on December 31, 2014 at Disney World’s Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios theme parks, and also at the Magic Kingdom on December 30.

The Animal Kingdom has no special New Year’s Eve events.

Disney World New Year’s Eve festivities will occur December 31, 2014 at Disney World’s Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios theme parks, and also at the Magic Kingdom on December 30. The Animal Kingdom has no special events.

Hours may be extended, but here’s what’s currently scheduled:

• Epcot will be open until 1a on New Year’s Eve; Disney’s Hollywood Studios until midnight for the general public, and 2a for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests; and the Magic Kingdom until 2a
  • The Magic Kingdom will have Wishes at 7.30p and special New Year’s Eve fireworks at 11.50p
  • Epcot will have its Illuminations fireworks show at 6p and 11.40p, plus DJs in various pavilions.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will have fireworks at midnightand several sets over the evening from “Mulch, Sweat and Shears,” a live band
  • Note that alcohol is not available at the Magic Kingdom, but is available at Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios

The Magic Kingdom will have the same fireworks at the same times on 12/30. This date will likely be a little less crowded than 12/31.

DISNEY WORLD PARK CLOSURES ON NEW YEAR’S EVE

Disney closes parks due to crowding often on New Year’s Eve. “Closes” means closed to additional guests–those in the parks do not have to leave.

See this for more on how Disney World park closings work.

The Magic Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios are the most likely parks to close, and Epcot the least likely.

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 S { 06.12.14 at 11:30 am }

How can I be put on a list to be notified when WDW announces NYE events for 2014/5?

2 Dave { 06.13.14 at 7:05 am }

Sorry, S, I don’t know.

3 Natalia { 06.24.14 at 8:31 am }

Hello! Is it necessary a special ticket for New years Eve in Epcot?

4 Natalia { 06.24.14 at 8:31 am }

Hello! Is it necessary a special ticket for New years Eve in Epcot? Thanks!

5 Dave { 06.24.14 at 4:16 pm }

Nope–your regular park ticket will get you in…unless of course the park is closed due to overcrowding…

6 Art { 07.01.14 at 2:20 am }

I go to epcot every year for New Years. It’s absolutely insane, just a neverending sea of people. Half of whom will be drunk by nights end. If you plan on eating at one of the restaurants I suggest reserving six months in advance. The climax is always the fireworks show at the touch of midnight. There will be an earlier illuminations show around 9:00 but it is nothing compared to the finale. The week leading up to Christmas and after New Years is the busiest time of year at disney. It will be very crowded, if the weather is good it will be overcrowded beyond belief.

7 mariel { 07.02.14 at 12:15 pm }

Hello from Argentina,
Which is the best restaurant where we can eat and see the fireworks in new years eve (2014-2015)
Thanks and regards,
Mariel

8 Dave { 07.02.14 at 3:18 pm }

Mariel, you can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the Contemporary Grill and the Epcot fireworks from the Rose and Crown

9 Lauren { 07.14.14 at 12:26 pm }

We will be in Orlando Dec. 27th-Jan. 3rd this year. I have read that parks on any given day during this week generally close due to full capacity.. We were thinking of doing Magic Kingdom Monday, Dec. 29th to try to avoid the ridiculous crowds on NYE and New Years day. Is it true that the parks do close often during this week, other than on the holiday?

10 Lauren { 07.14.14 at 12:47 pm }

Also– can you see the fireworks from any of the Disney resorts? We will NOT be staying on Disney property during our stay, however, when making some dining reservations, I see that there are many options to eat at the Disney hotel restaurants. Is there a good option to view NYE fireworks from a Disney hotel?

11 Dave { 07.15.14 at 7:32 am }

Lauren, crowds will be ridiculous all week long. Avoiding MK the 30th and 31st is a great idea, but closures still happen on other days too…

12 Dave { 07.15.14 at 7:32 am }

Lauren, the only place to reliably see the fireworks from a resort is the California Grill at the Contemporary.

13 Tiffany { 07.17.14 at 2:41 pm }

Can you see the fireworks from one of the Disney resorts? Like Disney Caribbean Beach resort, just in case the crowd is an issue

14 Dave { 07.18.14 at 7:19 am }

Tiffany, the only resort with great fireworks views is the Magic Kingdom side of the Contemporary. You can also see them from the beaches and docks at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. There are some corners of CB in the Barbados and Martinique sections from which you can see an itty bit of Epcot’s fireworks–but so little that it’s more of a nice surprise than an actual fireworks view.

15 Ron O { 08.11.14 at 1:42 pm }

Hello, Is there a special admission for Magic Kingdom for New Years Eve or is it the general admission ticket? And what the latest do you think people should get to the park so they dont get locked out from the over crowding? Thanks

16 Dave { 08.12.14 at 7:55 am }

Ron, no additional ticket is need beyond the regular tix. While the park likely will close and re-open and close etc over the day, the timing of that is unpredictable, so the only safe time to arrive is before opening…

17 Silvia { 08.26.14 at 5:19 pm }

Quisiera saber los precios d magic kingdom para new year eve. 2014.

18 nelitza { 09.09.14 at 10:23 am }

helooo i’am from aruba will know the prijs for magickingdom 31dec2014/1jan2015 newyear in disney

19 Dave { 09.10.14 at 12:43 pm }

Hi Nelitza, the prices are the same as for any other day–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/02/23/disney-world-2014-ticket-prices-unless-they-go-up-again/

20 Anna Bjarna { 10.18.14 at 10:15 am }

Hi
I am thinking about staying at Disney over new years eve. I would like to exsperience some grate night with my family. Fine dining, mabe a show or concert and fireworks. I would like to stay 2 nights at some hotel that is in the middle of the fun, meaning that I can walk around. If you stay at a hotel is the ticket included, can you walk around freely at the park ? Could you please informe me about this.

regards, Anna

21 Dave { 10.19.14 at 8:34 am }

Anna that is the single busiest time of the year at Disney World. Waits for the top rides can exceed 4 hours. The best dining begins filling up six months in advance. There’s only a few hotels from which you can easily get to the parks, and their rates are the highest of the year. And in addition, yes you will need a ticket–it is not included in the hotel price.

22 Alex { 10.20.14 at 10:20 pm }

What Park would you recommend for New Year celebration with 9 and 5 yr kids, Epcot or Magic Kingdom. Any other alternatives for New Year celebration in downtown disney?
Thanks,
Alex

23 Dave { 10.21.14 at 9:32 am }

Alex, honestly I wouldn’t go to either–unbearable crowds. Seeing the NYE celebrations at MK on the 30th–not the 31st–is the best choice. Nothing special is going on at DTD.

24 Keith Caine { 10.26.14 at 11:54 pm }

My wife and I are travelling from Australia and will not have any children with us so not fussed about spending the day at a busy park.. What I do want to know is though, do they hold an event at Downtown Disney and would you recommend that over Universal Citywalk??

25 Dave { 10.27.14 at 6:39 am }

Keith, nothing special in Downtown Disney…

26 colleen { 11.01.14 at 10:31 pm }

can the fireworks on NY eve be seen from the beach at the Floridian?
Will they allow non guests at the hotel?

27 Dave { 11.02.14 at 10:02 am }

Colleen, the beach at GF faces east, but MK is NE and the view of the MK fireworks is blocked by the Big Pine Key building. You can see the fireworks from the GF boat dock and the deck outside of Narcoossees. Typically during crowded times of the year people without business at the resort (a room or dining) will be kept away from such areas as otherwise they get overwhelmed.

28 Luis { 11.03.14 at 3:05 pm }

my family and I want to be at epcot this year the 31th; we heard that the best place are the side of the pavilions; there are gone be music and bars; that tru ?

29 Dave { 11.04.14 at 8:37 am }

Yes, Luis! That’s the “World Showcase” area of Epcot and it’ll be one big party.

30 AM { 11.06.14 at 11:09 am }

When will they announce the 2014 DJ line-ups at Epcot? Will it be the same as previous years? Also, if I arrive to Epcot around noon should we be able to get in or is that too late?

31 Dave { 11.08.14 at 2:49 pm }

AM< I don;t know when the DJ lineup is announced. And noon may or may not work…

32 Giulia { 11.16.14 at 3:29 pm }

Hello! I’d like to know if the fireworks at Magic Kingdom are exactly the same on 12/30 and 12/31 or if there’s something diferent between them. Thanks!

33 Dave { 11.17.14 at 8:34 am }

Hi Giulia, they are the same!

34 Liz { 11.20.14 at 2:24 pm }

So does this mean if we want to get into Epcot for Dec. 31st we need to be there first thing in the morning and stay all day till the show at 11:40pm? Or can we buy tickets and head to the park later in the day? Liz

35 Sharon { 11.21.14 at 9:52 am }

I understand the the week between Christmas and New Years is crazy busy. We are planning a family trip then as its the only time everyone can go…sigh. Would the few days after New Years be better than the days in between the holidays or does it matter?

36 Pete { 11.21.14 at 2:38 pm }

What park will have the least crowds on New Years eve and New Years day?

37 Dave { 11.22.14 at 6:57 am }

Liz, if you are staying at a WDW resort you should be able to have more flexibility. If you aren’t it’s really hard to predict…

38 Dave { 11.22.14 at 7:10 am }

Sharon, it will be better after the 31st, but not hugely so.

39 Dave { 11.22.14 at 7:11 am }

Pete, on New Years Eve Animal Kingdom will be least crowded. New Years Day Epcot and AK are good choices

40 Pete { 11.22.14 at 11:22 am }

How about Universal’s parks

41 Dave { 11.24.14 at 11:54 am }

Pete, sorry but I don’t track them–I can barely keep up with WDW.

42 Nelson { 11.29.14 at 10:41 am }

Hello Dave
How I could book a ticket in time to Epcot and some restaurant for New Year?

43 Dave { 11.30.14 at 2:21 pm }

Nelson, tickets are not tied to specific dates. You can buy them now. The most popular restaurants begin filling 6 months ahead, and since that’s the most crowded day of the year at Epcot, yo will not likely find any reservations available this late.

44 Bill { 11.30.14 at 3:59 pm }

My family is spending extended holiday time at the end of Dec until mid January and a lot of time visiting Disney parks. I’m under the impression that AK will be a good choice to spend the day for NYE since its likely to be less crowded. And wait until January 1 or 2 to visit MK. Would that be a good approach since we’re not too interested in the midnight celebrations, fireworks, fine dining, etc.

45 Dave { 12.01.14 at 9:43 am }

Hey Bill, if you have to go to a park 12/31, AK is the best choice. Crowds will still be heavy 1/1 and 1/2, but so many will have gone to MK 12/30 and/or 12/31 that it will be an OK choice. Everything will be better 1/4 and after except for the weekends…

46 Karoline { 12.01.14 at 7:09 pm }

Hi! I want to be in December the 31st at Magic kingdom but just after midnight I have to go to Miami’s airport. Is it possible to find a van or shuttle at any time after NYE? My flight to Colombia is at 10 am January the 1 st. Thanks for any advice or information.

47 Dave { 12.02.14 at 8:04 am }

Karoline, that would be an expensive trip. I’ve never investigated it, but start with Mears: http://www.mearstransportation.com/global/orlando/

48 Carolina { 12.15.14 at 11:11 am }

I’m really glad I stumbled upon this blog. I’ve made an informed decision to be at MK for NYE despite the crowds and eventual park closures. I’ve already got my tickets and Fast Passes, but now I need a game plan for actually watching the fireworks at midnight. I’ve heard the bridge from Tomorrowland is a decent spot. Any recommendations on when to pick our location for the night?

49 Dave { 12.17.14 at 9:08 am }

Carolina, with the massive crowds that will be there, there’s no place with great views I can suggest that might not be staked out by others hours before.

50 sherrie { 12.19.14 at 4:42 pm }

what day is best for Hollywood Studios, 12-30 or 12-31 for 2015.

51 sherrie { 12.19.14 at 4:43 pm }

Which day is best for Hollywood Studios 12-30-2014 or 12-31-2014?

52 Dave { 12.20.14 at 2:16 pm }

Sherrie, the 30th, by far.

53 NATALIE ENGEL { 12.21.14 at 1:49 am }

I AM A HUGE FAN OF WALT DISNEYS HE IS MY FAVROITE HERO

54 Mel { 12.22.14 at 12:53 pm }

Can u bring ur own food to magic kingdom and how bad are the crowds

55 Israel { 12.22.14 at 6:13 pm }

My question is I’m planing to go to mk for New Year’s Eve do I have to go early in the morning to the park or can I go later on to the park is it ok

56 Dave { 12.23.14 at 6:37 am }

Mel, yes on food. Crowds at the Magic Kingdom on New Years Eve are stunningly high.

57 Dave { 12.23.14 at 6:38 am }
58 Katie { 12.26.14 at 8:45 am }

Hi Dave
We are flying in on l/31 in the morning. Hopefully we will have our car and be on our way to Disney by about 10:00 a.m. What is your suggestion for what park we should try to get into first. We do have the park hopper pass. Thanks

59 David { 12.26.14 at 1:56 pm }

Hi Dave, We’re staying at the Beach Club and plan to walk to the World Showcase entrance to Epcot about 1000 am on NYE. I assume we will get in no problem but don’t know how jammed that gate gets with everyone from the Boardwalk area resorts flowing in. Is this a good plan, or should we be there before 9AM? Also, I read somewhere that you can see Epcot and HS fireworks from the beach area at the Beach Club. Is this true? Great blog btw!! Thanks!

60 Dave { 12.27.14 at 8:30 am }

Katie, the only park I would consider on NYE is the Animal Kingdom. The rest will be simply mobbed.

61 Dave { 12.27.14 at 8:32 am }

Hi David and thanks! You should have no problem getting through the World Showcase entrance then. You will be able to see parts of the Epcot fireworks from the beach–a lot of the show is too low to see, though. I’m not sure about the HS fireworks…

62 Joe { 12.30.14 at 10:34 pm }

Hey Dave. We are planning on going to Epcot for NYE. We’ve been there before so we aren’t to worried about getting on many rides. We made dinner reservations a while ago. Our only concern is park closures. We were planning on getting there around 3 pm. Do you think that would be ok or should we get there earlier.

63 Dave { 01.01.15 at 10:05 am }

Joe, I got to this a little late…

64 Carolina { 01.06.15 at 3:48 pm }

Hi, there! I survived New Year’s 2015 at Magic Kingdom! Spent the 31st there with two other adults with regular bladders and eating schedules. You were right about people staking out spots hours in advance (by 4 pm people were taking naps in lawn chairs waiting for midnight), but I took advantage of those who went to see the stage shows and then left with their kids. Ended up getting my spot around 10 feet east of the Walt and Mickey statue around 8:30 pm. Made sure to use the restroom before then as well because the bridges and viewing areas closed for the shows and no one was allowed in (they reopened after the shows). Some cast members were more helpful than others, but we were able to move out of the area by obtaining a “viewing area” pass from one of them on the bridge to Tomorrowland. Was at the park from 9 am to well past 3 am, lines were not as long as I expected, weather was great, and the fireworks were spectacular. Overall it was a great experience that I would consider doing again.

65 Dave { 01.07.15 at 7:28 am }

Thanks, Carolina!! 9am to 3am…wow!