October 2014 at Walt Disney World

OVERVIEW: OCTOBER 2014 AT DISNEY WORLD

October 2014 at Walt Disney World from yourfirstvisit.netThis page reviews October 2014 Walt Disney World crowds, prices, deals and discounts, weather, and operating hours; adds a few other notes; and ends with week by week summaries.

Late October has some of the best times of the year to visit Disney World, with nice weather, low crowds, low prices, and fun special events.

The beginning of the month is OK, but not so good, as the first week is still in the peak of the hurricane season, and the second week sees extra crowds and higher prices from Columbus Day.

OCTOBER 2014 CROWDS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

October is one of the least crowded months at Walt Disney World–though it gets more crowded every year with kid son fall breaks, especially the week of Columbus day.

On a crowd scale of 1-11, the week beginning 9/27 has a crowd rating of 3/low, the week beginning 10/4 3/low, the week beginning 10/11 5/moderate-minus, the week beginning 10/18 3/low and the week beginning 10/25 3/low.

However, because of the Halloween Party and the Food and Wine Festival, you can face higher waits if you go to the parks on the wrong days.  See this for how to avoid these crowds.

See this for more on 2014 crowds at Disney World.

OCTOBER 2014 PRICES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

October hotel prices begin at the values 15% higher than the lowest of the year, and at the moderates to 10% higher. Prices stay at these levels all month except for a bump over the Columbus Day weekend. Deluxe prices begin the month 15% higher than the lowest of the year, bump over the Columbus Day weekend, and drop on 10/19 to 10% higher than the lowest of the year.

See this for more on 2014 resort hotel prices at Walt Disney World.

OCTOBER 2014 DEALS AND DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Deals are available for October 2014. Details are here.

OCTOBER 2014 WEATHER AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Early October sees the end of the peak of the hurricane season. The second half of the month sees weather  about as good as Orlando gets.

Click the image, or go to Weather and When to Go to Disney World, for more on temperatures.

SPECIAL EVENTS IN OCTOBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party continues on many dates through October.

The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival continues throughout the month.

OCTOBER 2014 OPERATING HOURS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Park operating hours vary by the day, and sometimes change without notice. It is rare for hours to be shorter than Disney has publicized, but Disney may lengthen them in response to unanticipated crowds.

The best way to keep up with operating hours is to check Disney’s official calendars, usually available six months in advance.

These calendars can be found by clicking the following links:

WEEK BY WEEK COMMENTS FOR OCTOBER 2014 AT WALT DISNEY WORLD BY ARRIVAL DATE

The week rankings that follow below are from 2014 weeks to visit, ranked in order, and are designed for first-time visitors who do not know whether or not they will return.

2014 Weeks to Visit Walt Disney World Ranked in Order v2Click the image for a calendar view of 2014 weeks (when open, keep clicking to enlarge.)

9/27/2014 Prices low at values and moderates, moderate at deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=26. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

10/4/2014 Low prices at values and moderates, moderate at deluxes. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=25. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

10/11/2014 Prices moderate-minus at values, low at moderates, moderate at deluxes. Moderate-minus crowds. Crowd ranking=5. Week ranking=15. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary, but swap Tuesday and Thursday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

10/18/2014 Prices low. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=7.  Recommended week. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

10/25/2014 Prices low. Low crowds. Crowd ranking=3. Week ranking=8.  Recommended week. Use the Fastpass+ Lower-Crowd Itinerary but swap Sunday and Tuesday in both the itinerary and its To-Do List

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Erica { 03.18.14 at 7:34 am }

Does disney historically offer the “free dining” promotion in late Oct.? And if I plan on booking a vacation 6 months out with the dining plan included, will Disney honor the “free dining” promotion if it becomes available later on? Thanks!

2 Michelle { 03.18.14 at 10:52 am }

Now that the October calendar is out, I’m hoping you can help me plan my itinerary. I will be in WDW from 10/19-10/25 with my son, who will be almost 4, and my parents. Currently, we have a 5 day ticket (no park hopper, though that’s still under consideration). I’m targeting one day in AK and up to 3 in MK, with the last day up for grabs. My goal is to keep this as low key as possible given the young child and the grandparents. I’m likely to skip the Halloween party (unless there’s a real benefit to going), but do want to see the MK fireworks. We’re also planning on character dining and dinner shows (Hoop-de-Doo and Mickey’s BBQ), so even though I’d like to keep this low key, we’re going to have to be very scheduled, I think. Oh, and I’ll be celebrating my birthday during our trip – any tips?

Thanks so much for this site and your advice; all so incredibly helpful!

Best,
Michelle

3 Dave { 03.19.14 at 7:01 am }

Hi Erica–Disney won’t “honor” anything. If the deal comes out–which I don’t think it will–you will need to call, or get online, and compete with everyone else to get it. “Historically” has not much meaning here–Disney did a ton of deals coming out of the recession, and has been steadily cutting them back for years now. While Oct has seen free dining the last few years, I expect it to go away as part of this general deal rollback…though of course I hope I am wrong!

4 Dave { 03.19.14 at 7:12 am }

Michelle, MK will be least crowded the days it has a 7p close, so you should pick a couple of those–those are also great days to head on after park close to the Fort Wilderness dinner shows. Your dates it closes at 7p the 19th, 21st, 23rd and 24th. The best date to see its evening stuff is the 22nd, but MK will be wildly crowded in that day. Ak is good multiple days, particularly the 22nd.

For your birthday, see the second half of this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/02/01/is-walt-disney-world-free-on-your-birthday/

5 Sydney Bland { 03.19.14 at 4:25 pm }

Hi Dave!

I’m planning a trip with my cousin for October 2015. I’ve gone 4 other times but never in October, and she has never been so this is going to be really special for her!! My goal is to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival, and MNNSSHP! With ….. low crowds! Could you please tell me the best dates to do this? The only day out of the whole month we will have to be home is the Saturday before Halloween, as we have a annual Halloween Party we have to attend. She is 26 and I will be 22.

Thanks so much!

6 Sydney Bland { 03.19.14 at 4:25 pm }

Thanks so much!*** That’s what I get for not looking while I’m typing hahaha!!

7 Lara Gordon { 03.20.14 at 4:26 am }

Not sure I am doing things right as haven’t had a reply from you or seen my comment on the page so will try one last time? We are coming from NZ and will be only here once in our lives – should we do both MNSSHP (one night) and Elect Parade + Wishes (another night). Are they different enough? Just that its two late nights for the kids (9,7 and 5) but if they are both different, we don’t want to miss anything!
Thanks for all your advice on this site!

8 Dave { 03.20.14 at 7:54 am }

Hi Sydney! I’d advise weekdays in the second half of the month–e.g. arriving October 19, 2015…

9 Dave { 03.20.14 at 7:55 am }

Fixed! I had thought you were expressing solidarity to the Crimean Tatars in Ukrainian…

10 Dave { 03.20.14 at 7:59 am }

Lara, your original question and my reply are here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/07/disney-world-crowds-2014/#comment-483734

11 Taryn { 03.20.14 at 10:30 pm }

I don’t remember where I posted my original question so I’m asking again on the page I’ll be sure to remember! My family is taking our very first Disney vacation from October 22-27 with the 23rd being the first day for the parks. I was thinking of doing 2 days at the MK, 1 day at Epcot and 1 day at Animal Kingdom. We are leaving late on the 27th so I thought that it could be a rest day or a day to do any MK rides we may have missed. I have two children who will be 2.5 and 4.5 at the time. Is that plan too ambitious and what days do you recommed doing what park? Also since it will be close to Halloween, what do you think of the Halloween Party? Not sure if it would be worth it…Thank you! You’re website is so amazingly helpful!

12 Dave { 03.21.14 at 8:35 am }
13 Renee { 03.31.14 at 8:52 pm }

Love your site! I have a question regarding Columbus Day weekend. We are going down with our 5 year old daughter, from Oct 6 – 15. We plan to do 3 days MK, 2 days EP, 1 day HS, 1 day AK, 1 day waterpark, 1 day SeaWorld, 1 day ‘off’, with afternoon breaks on most days. We have park hopper and water park and more option. My question is regarding Sat, Sun and Mon of Columbus day weekend – do you have any recommendations on which parks would be best to visit on those days? Thanks so much!

14 Mark Wagner { 04.01.14 at 5:52 am }

Dave – I have a similar question to Renee. We will be at Disney 7th-15th October. 3 kids (boys 8 and 6 and a girl 4.5yrs). Plan is similar to Renee, except not planning to do Sea World but will do 1 waterpark and will do afternoon breaks back at hotel on some days so we can chill and use the pool. We have park hopper tickets. Because our first full day at Disney is Wednesday 7th do we follow your 4th October itinerary and do MK on Wed, AK on Thurs etc. Also advice for Columbus weekend appreciated. I was thinking of Sunday at a water park as being less busy than Sunday at a theme park?? Thanks so much

15 Dave { 04.01.14 at 7:15 am }

Hi Renee and thanks!

First, with a kid that age, I’d plan on much less time at Epcot…

Over the Columbus day weekend, the best park for Saturday is AK, Sunday AK or HS, and Monday MK or Epcot

16 Dave { 04.01.14 at 7:21 am }

Hey Mark–first I’m sorry that I dunno enough about waterpark crowds to be able to give you a strong answer on that. Second, on the itinerary, it is tuned to daily operating and crowd patterns–so that “Tuesday” is “Tuesday,” not “Day 4.” So you could simply start it where you are when you arrive, altho arrival night is always best at Epcot. So you could do “First Saturday” the 7th, then launch in to MK on Weds, HS thurs (not AK) etc as written. If you adjust based on Columbus Day, then do AK Saturday, HS Sunday, and Epcot Monday.

17 Renee { 04.01.14 at 8:57 pm }

Thanks Dave! This aligns well with our thoughts on the plan. I understand your comment on 2 days at Epcot with 5 year old – for the second EP day I have this marked as ‘EP/other’ as a flexible day, depending on how the first time at Epcot goes – we will have a stroller which will help, and dining at Akherus.

18 Dave { 04.02.14 at 8:24 am }

Got you, Renee!

19 Mark W { 04.03.14 at 5:43 am }

Thanks Dave. We don’t land on Tuesday 7th at MCO until 6pm on a transatlantic flight so we will go straight to hotel (Grand Floridian) and to bed so Epcot won’t work. On the plus side means we’ll be up early on Wednesday 8th to hit the parks. What is your view of making use of EMH in the morning at parks (I was intending to do this sometimes unless you disagree). We have park hopper tickets so can switch parks so my thoughts were first day Wed 8th MK or AK (easier park for first day given jet lag?), Thurs 9th MK (EMH) or HS , Fri 10th undecided , Sat 11th HS (EMH) or AK, Sun 12th HS, Monday 13th MK, Tues 14 EP and Wed 15th undecided (leaving after lunch). Many thanks Mark

20 Dave { 04.03.14 at 7:38 am }
21 Kevin { 04.12.14 at 10:15 pm }

Hey Dave- Great site! Have a question regarding my upcoming stay from October 22-27th….We will be starting to visit the parks on the 23rd and I was wondering if you had advice on which day to do what park or if it was too early to say? Also, what is your opinion on the Magical Express from Orlando airport to the Disney resorts. Worth it or just get a car service to avoid the hassle?
Thanks

22 Dave { 04.13.14 at 12:10 pm }

Kevin–on Magical Express, it saves you money but costs you an hour or more each way. On trips as short as yours that time is valuable to claw back…I can help with the itineraries, but first tell me how old the kids are…

23 Kevin { 04.14.14 at 8:08 pm }

Thanks for the advice on the Magical Express. The kids are 3 and 5 and I was planning on doing Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. I know Epcot is not really for them but may sneak in a 1/2 day. Hollywood Studios is for older children too, right?

24 Dave { 04.15.14 at 8:53 am }

Kevin, HS and AK both have more for little kids than Epcot. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/03/09/the-comprehensive-guide-to-walt-disney-world-rides-and-attractions/

25 Michelle { 04.15.14 at 11:07 am }

Hi Dave – are you still predicting no Free dining offers for fall?

26 Kevin { 04.15.14 at 8:15 pm }

So if we only do MK and AK which days from October 23-26 would you recommend each park? Thanks

27 Dave { 04.16.14 at 7:53 am }

Michelle, I am–though of course I hope I’m wrong! See this for more: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/04/16/the-best-ever-free-dining-faq-in-the-history-of-the-world/

28 Dave { 04.16.14 at 8:04 am }

Hey Kevin, the most crowded MK day those dates will be–by far– the 25th, and the least crowded MK day the 24th. At AK only the 24th will be particularly bad.

29 Michelle { 04.16.14 at 10:55 am }

Do you think if you are correct about the dining that some other room/package discount will be offered? We are only planning to go if we can get a really good deal – otherwise we are going to skip this year. So i know its just a waiting game…. would really like to go during the Food & Wine and Either the MNSSHP or MVMCP – So debating either 10/18 or 11/1…… thanks!

30 Mark { 04.16.14 at 1:52 pm }

Hi Dave – We are currently planning a trip for10/6-10/14. This will be our 5th trip. On 10/10/14, we are looking at visiting Epcot. However, I notice that your crowd calendar has crowds transitioning from “Low” for our week to “Moderate minus” with the week starting 10/11/14. Being a Friday, the Food and Wine Festival, and the start of the Columbus Day weekend, how crowded is Epcot likely to get? My alternative would be to do MK on 10/10/14. We will probably only have one day at MK on this trip, so I was hoping to do MK on a day when it had longer hours. If Epcot will be miserably crowded, I may opt to change that date for MK.

31 Dave { 04.17.14 at 8:59 am }

Michelle, there’s always been a room rate deal at the same time in the past, usually announced a little later.

32 Dave { 04.17.14 at 9:15 am }

Mark, the short version is that MK is MUCH more crowded on longer-hour days this period becasue so many people avoid the 7p close days. The best way to handle MK, if you can afford it, is to buy a hopper, do it on a 7p close day, and then hop to it for the evening stuff. Epcot crowds in World Showcase will be rough Friday evening, but the early morning through afternoon should be fine at Epcot.

33 Mark { 04.17.14 at 10:35 am }

Thanks, Dave. That is what I needed to know.

34 Mickie B { 04.18.14 at 4:22 pm }

Hi! Me, my husband and 6 yr. old girl will be staying at A of A from 10/19/14 to 10/24/14 and we got 6-day/hop tickets. We plan to arrive fairly early on Sunday and leave late Friday afternoon. I would love some advice on which park on which days! We would like to do the Halloween party one day we are there and I just can’t make sense of the other websites recommendations…be the voice of reason Dave! Thanks!

35 Dave { 04.19.14 at 8:40 am }

Hi Mickie, those dates MK will be most crowded 10/20 and 10/22. Avoid Epcot 10/19, 10/21, and 10/22. HS is good all your dates except 10/19. AK is good too except 10/20 and 10/24. For forecast dates for the party, see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/02/11/halloween-2014-at-walt-disney-world/

36 Kevin { 04.19.14 at 8:25 pm }

And if we were to throw in Epcot, which day would you recommend from October 23-26? We could also do the morning/afternoon of the 27th if that would be less crowded. Thanks for the forecast!

37 Dave { 04.20.14 at 9:54 am }

Kevin, Food and Wine clots Epcot up a bit Friday night through Sunday night, especially evenings in World Showcase. The best day there your dates is the 23rd…

38 Stacey { 04.22.14 at 10:19 am }

In the past were the discounts that were offered for room and/or dining in October for the entire month (including Columbus Day wknd) or just for parts of the month? Which parks are best on which days the Fri-Mon on Columbus day weekend for family of 5 that have a 7 and 9 year old and then again for 10/14-10/18 which parks are best for which days. Thanks so much, this site and your detailed info and answers on emails is AMAZING!!!

39 Dave { 04.23.14 at 1:45 pm }

Hi Stacey, and thanks! Past October dining deals were for only bits of the month. Room rate deals covered the month. Columbus Day weekend will be crowded. Ak is the best park Saturday, HS or AK Sunday, and MK or Epcot the 13th. Things settle down a bit after Monday morning. The 14th HS and AK are good choices, the 15th any park but Epcot is good, the 16th avoid MK, the 17th MK is the only good park, and the 18th AK is best…

40 Louise { 04.29.14 at 8:06 am }

Hi can you let me know if there are any major blunders with this schedule? thank you!
Oct 19th Magic Kingdom
Oct 20th Universal studios
Oct 21 Universal studios
Oct 22 Animal kingdom
Oct 23 Epcot
Oct 24 Sea World 1/2 day
Oct 25 Magic kingdom (night time only for fireworks)
Oct 26 waterpark
Oct 27 Hollywood studios
Oct 28 Magic Kingdom halloween party
oct29 seaworld 1/2 day
oct 30/31 free for repeat visits

41 Dave { 04.29.14 at 8:32 am }

Louise, this looks great…but awfully busy…how old are the kids?

42 Louise { 04.29.14 at 9:40 am }

They are 8 and 6, i know its busy but we are coming all the way from the UK so its holiday of a lifetime so have to make the most of it! hoping to have restful daytimes on 25/26/28 and take it easy at seaworld. My boys both have so much energy plus we will rent a stroller for them to have a rest if needed, my youngest has autism so hoping with GAS plus fastpasses we should be able to manage it. also staying a night at universal hotel to take advanatge of express pass, I do have my concerns though so wish me luck!

43 Dave { 04.29.14 at 5:20 pm }

Louise, you might want to plan taking the 26th off, and only doing a water park then if the night before you are in the mood. That day off, when combined with the light two days you have planned befroe it, will really rejuvenate you. Great call on the Universal hotel, by the way!

44 Luciano { 05.09.14 at 8:23 pm }

Hi Dave, I’m from Argentina. We ( My girlfriend and I) are travelling to disneyworld from 10-15 (october) to 10-19 (october). We are staying 5 days in disney and 2 days in universal. Wich are the best parks to go each day?? What about the week crow average? Is it too busy? We are not so interested in water parks.
THANKS!!

45 Dave { 05.10.14 at 7:47 am }

Hi Luciano! At Disney,
10/15 avoid Epcot–this is an OK MK day
10/16 avoid MK, good elsewhere
10/17 Avoid AK and Epcot–a good MK day
10/18 Avoid Epcot, HS
10/19: Avoid Epcot, HS

Universal traditionally is best Sat-Mon.

46 Janice { 05.12.14 at 7:43 pm }

Please help us plan our visit to Disney World…we will be in the parks October 6 – 10, 2014. Our family group includes an 18 month old, a three year old, a 15 year old, and adults 28, 29, 35, 58, and 65 years. We are most interested in MK -AK- and at least one water park visit. The young adults may be interested in a day at another park. We are looking at park hopper tickets as an option. We want to see the parades and fireworks. We stayed most recently at the Wilderness Resort and were thinking that might be a better option this visit too with shorter travel times to the parks with the little ones.

47 Janice { 05.12.14 at 8:28 pm }

Dave, which resorts have adjoining/connecting rooms available …an added convenience when traveling with the little ones.

48 Dave { 05.13.14 at 12:19 pm }

Janice, the 6th won’t be good at either MK or AK, so, unless you are going to MK just for the evening stuff, avoid both parks that day. Either Epcot or HS would be a good choice. The 7th and 8th are good choices for both MK and AK, lousy for Epcot, and good for HS. The 9th avoid MK, and the 10th avoid AK and EPcot. The 10th is a very good MK day but there’s no evening events that day (whihc is partly why it will be uncrowded).

49 Dave { 05.13.14 at 12:19 pm }

Janice, they all do…

50 Andrea { 05.13.14 at 9:18 pm }

I’ve made some updates to our 10/25-10/30 trip since new Fantasmic dates have been added to the calendar. We’ll be traveling with our daughters age 2 & 5, 4 days in parks w/ park hopper.
10/26: MK, hop to EP in the late afternoon/evening
10/27: HS
10/28: MK, hop to EP in the late afternoon/evening
10/29: AK, hop to MK for MSEP and Wishes
My only concern with our new plan is that both nights at EP are not recommended. Do you think this is still the best plan?
My second question is about touring Epcot. Your plans usually start with Future World, but, with our late arrival, should we start at the World Showcase since my girls are princess lovers? Also, I figured maybe our 2nd night at Epcot we could do rider swap with our 5yo during Illuminations to get the shortest wait. Thoughts?

51 Dave { 05.14.14 at 7:13 am }

Andrea, why are you hopping to Epcot? There is little there for kids that young…and lots of princesses in MK! And I’m not sure what you mean by child swap for Illuminations–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/10/12/review-illuminations-at-epcot/

52 Andrea { 05.14.14 at 1:43 pm }

Sorry, I was up too late last night! Here’s some clarification: those nights are MNSSHP, so that’s why we’re hopping to Epcot in the evening. We may also just use those nights to rest, if needed. And, I left out some key words re the rider swap…I meant to say do child swap and ride Test Track with our oldest (possibly during Illuminations to avoid the wait since we’ll be seeing that show another night.). Does that make more sense? Thx

53 Dave { 05.15.14 at 11:31 am }

Andrea, Test Track will stop accepting new people in line right before Illuminations starts, but otherwise, yes, your plan will work!

54 Anonymous { 05.29.14 at 1:05 am }

Wooooza Dave . . . you are soooooo knowledgeable about disney . . . here’s our situation . . .. arriving Disney area Oct 25, 2014 Sat am, departing Tue Oct 28th. Understand from past experiences weekends busy with locals at Wine and Food… Sugestions? Pa

55 Dave { 05.30.14 at 11:50 am }

Well, Epcot is busy on the weekends during Food and Wine…if you give me a more specific question I can help more!!

56 Natalie { 06.04.14 at 12:52 pm }

Hi Dave! Amazing site…amazing. So in reading some of your replies re: October, I think I’m in trouble ;) My itinerary goes like this, 10/8 – MK, 10/9 – HS, 10/10 – AK in am, MNSSHP in pm, 10/11 – Epcot, 10/12 – MK. How did I do? Thanks :)

57 Dave { 06.05.14 at 9:17 am }

Well, Natalie…10/8 will be very busy at MK. HS or AK would be a better choice. 10/9 at HS is fine, but if you switch MK and HS the 8th and 9th you’ll be better off. The 1th at AK is fine, Epcot will be crowded the 11th because of Food and Wine, and MK will be mobbed the 12th.

Here’s what I’d do–note that I can’t get it perfect if I avoid Epcot and MK over the weekend

10/8 MK
10/9 Epcot
10/10 MK + MVMCP
10/11 AK
10/12 HS

58 Anonymous { 06.10.14 at 5:28 pm }

Hi Dave, great site! I am planning a trip with a 9yr old and 4yr old. October 28th-Nov4th. I booked a promotion, which included a dining plan surprisingly. Now going to make some reservations and so many restaurants are booked! I visited this time last ye

59 Dave { 06.11.14 at 9:39 am }

Yup, free dining always crowds the restaurants. Many fill up 6 months before anyway; add free dining and even more fill…

60 Robin { 06.16.14 at 9:46 am }

Hi Dave, We are planning a first time trip for the family October 2015. My kids won’t be enrolled in school yet and we were thinking early October. I know it’s well over a year before we go, but do you think it wise to call now and reserve the room we want? I know I won’t get any deals now, but from everything that I have read, I can just call back when a deal pops up and see if I can get that.

61 Dave { 06.17.14 at 7:44 am }

Hi Robin!! First the second half of October is much better than the first half–less crowded, and out of the peak of the hurricane season. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/12/08/2015-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

Second, it can’t hurt to book now, especially if you are aiming at a high demand room type, but you don’t need too…

62 Gina { 07.08.14 at 9:41 pm }

Hi Dave!! This is an awesome site! Thank you. Were coming to Disney 10/16-23 and then doing the dream after. Any chance there will be a room deal the week of 10/16-23?

63 Amanda { 07.08.14 at 11:45 pm }

What a fantastic site! I had been using a similar site but it has just become outdated, so glad to find this! We have three boys (6,8, 10) and will be visiting October 13-19. We have a special needs child, and we need a quiet place to stay. No Animation, no campground, nothing loud and chaotic, prefer delux. We’ve stayed at WL before and LOVE it, but ridiculous prices to accommodate five! (And to pay crazy $$$ and have the pool under construction…) And Poly is under construction, so im afraid it will be loud. I think Beach is booked. What do you recommend? I am frustrated with hardly any choices. We went this same week four years ago, and it wa great. I’m also nervous about bigger crowds this time around – and dealing with my child can’t handle it all verywell.

Thank you!

64 Dave { 07.09.14 at 12:34 pm }

Gina, a room deal that includes those dates is possible!!

65 Dave { 07.09.14 at 12:39 pm }

Hi Amanda and thanks!! The Studios in the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge now sleep 5–with the fifth in a fold down bed–so maybe that’s your best bet, even with the pool down. After that the quietest deluxes are the BoardWalk Inn and the Yacht Club.

66 Jess { 07.09.14 at 4:08 pm }

Hi Dave! Love the site! Hubby and I will be spending our 5th year anniversary at WDW from Oct 2-5 (arriving early on the 2nd and leaving late on the 5th). Tentative plan is as follows (we do not have park hoppers):

10/2: Epcot
10/3: MK, MNSSHP
10/4: AK, late night Disney Villains Hollywood Bash (we have a friend running in the Tower of Terror 10-Miler. We think she’s crazy)
10/5: Whichever park we feel we need to revisit again (perhaps Epcot for some Food & Wine events)

Any advice or recommended changes to this schedule? Thanks!

67 Dave { 07.10.14 at 6:14 am }

Jess, this looks great to me!

68 Paul { 07.31.14 at 5:12 pm }

Dave, I’m starting to panic. We planned our trip and stay at AKL for the week of 10/18 because every crowd calendar we have seen showed that week to have low crowds. Now, I’m seeing some crowd calendars have increased the expected crowd levels significantly – from a 4 to a 7, for example! I was really trying to avoid crowds and now expected crowds are increasing! Are you changing your expectations for crowds during this week? What do you think is driving this increase?

We will only be in the park 4 days this trip and are skipping Epcot because the kids are still a little young to really enjoy it. This is not our first trip and won’t be our last (hopefully!).
10/18 – Arrival and enjoyment of AKL resort/pool
10/19 – AK all day
10/20 – HS all day
10/21 – MK (for Halloween Party)
10/22 – MK

Should I change anything based on crowd level changes or expectations for each day? Should I try to change weeks? Or will it not really be that bad?

Thanks so much!

69 Dave { 08.01.14 at 7:31 am }

Paul, it’s hard for me to comment without knowing which crowd calendar you are referring to. Nothing has changed re US school breaks that week, so crowds are unchanged. And the days you picked are just fine!!

70 Paul { 08.01.14 at 12:45 pm }

Thanks, Dave. I was referring to Touringplans.com by the way. In addition to their calendar and your calendar, I have also been watching your friends at EasyWDW.com and they haven’t changed their crowd ratings for this period either. So, if you are not changing and Josh isn’t changing, then I will trust we will be okay. But that major increase at the other place is very weird, though. I thought maybe it was because of an increase in operating hours or something, but it didn’t make sense. I will trust you, though! Thanks!

71 Dave { 08.02.14 at 7:37 am }

Paul, one thing that can trip you up at this time of year is going to the wrong park on the wrong day. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/ Touringplans released an update to their crowd calendar a few weeks ago and its results make–honestly–little sense…

72 Paul { 08.03.14 at 11:43 pm }

Understand about the wrong days at the wrong parks, but based on your earlier response, it looks like we are okay there. Thanks for looking it over and reassuring me. Your site is still the best and your help is a life-saver for people like me. I can’t thank you enough!

73 Dave { 08.05.14 at 9:01 am }

Oh Paul I forgot that earlier discussion…and thanks for the kind words!

74 Barry { 08.21.14 at 10:43 am }

We are two young couples, one with a ten year old, and a grandmother, who have visited WDW three times already, each at Christmas time which was awesome. Next visit will be for a week starting Columbus Day 2015 in mid October. This will be first time in October. What do you suggest to do and see during that time. I know it should be all Halloween themed , which I can’t wait for since I was born on Halloween :). Our party all enjoy rides and roller coasters but me which I get to hold all the bags when they ride . LOL I do enjoy shows, good food, and slow rides.

75 Dave { 08.21.14 at 11:29 am }

Barry, while it will be modified I suspect by 2015, take a look at this and its links for an overview of what to do: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/01/14/fastpass-itinerary-for-lower-crowd-weeks/ Then also add this ot the mix for an evening: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/09/24/review-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

76 lourens { 08.22.14 at 7:34 am }

Hi Dave

My wife and I are coming to Disney world in October we are staying at Hilton grand Im at a total lost were to get tickets for Disney what kind of tickets to get extract

77 Dave { 08.22.14 at 11:48 am }
78 Michele { 09.13.14 at 10:29 pm }

Hi! My family and I (4 kids – all boys) are vacationing to Disney World the last week of October. I purchased tickets for MNSSHP for a Tuesday night, the 28th. We are excited about that! However, we will be down there on actual Halloween Night, the 31st, as well. I need some suggestions, other than MNSSHP, to do! Like which park should we go to that night? Will everyone be dressed up? Whats a good place to eat that night? My kids ages are 2, 4, 12 and 13….so we have a wide range! Thanks for any info you can give me!

79 Dave { 09.14.14 at 6:54 am }

Michele, there’s not a lot of halloween stuff anyplace else, so I’d just pick based on the usual crowd factors. 10/13 should be good at Animal Kingdom!

80 Patty { 09.26.14 at 9:36 am }

Hi Dave! Amazing site. Found we had a few days and decided last minute to do Disney. Please tell me it’s not a mistake. We’ve been wanting to do it for a while. Our daughter is 7 and growing up soo quickly. Will be driving from IL with my daughter, husband, sister and my mother will fly (in late Thurs out late Mon). Looking for expert advice. How does this itinerary sound:
10/9 travel and arrive
10/10 MK
10/11 AK
10/12 HS
10/13 Epcot
10/14 departure and travel

We couldn’t get any character breakfasts or a Bippity Boppity boo appt :( but did find a character lunch late Saturday afternoon at Arkhaus. What else should we try to include? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

81 Patty { 09.27.14 at 1:00 pm }

Oops I mean Tuskar House not Arkhaus. Since we’re driving we could add a day onto the end if you think we should. Please let me know what we should not miss since we obviously can’t do it all. Thanks!

82 Dave { 09.28.14 at 7:15 am }

Hi Patty–you are short on MK time, and a child of 7 will get less out of EPcot than the other parks. You also want to see the evening events at MK–not on the 10th or 13th. So I’d add a MK day the 11th, and shift AK to the 13th.

For what to do each day, I don’t have shorter itineraries on this site, but you will find them in my book at the end of Chapter 6! See The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit

83 Dave { 09.28.14 at 7:19 am }

Patty, I’d add a day for sure! That way you can make your second MK day the 14th, and keep your Tusker House meal! As noted, the daily plans in the book will guide you to the best, and in the right order.

84 Chasmin { 09.28.14 at 10:39 pm }

Hi! We will be at Disney Oct.4-9 what are the best days to visit which parks?

85 Dave { 09.29.14 at 7:22 am }

Hi Chasmin! You need to get your FastPass+ NOW!!

10/4 Only AK will be good