By the co-author of the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook ever -- The easy Guide to Your First Walt Disney World Visit.—Disney World Instructions for the First-Time Visitor

Review: The Villas and Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

(For the first page of this review of Disney’s Polynesian Resort, see this)

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort from

The new Disney Vacation Club Studios and Bungalows at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort opened to the general public in April 2015.

Review The Polynesian Villas and Bungalows from yourfirstvisit.netThere’s two types of spaces here, Studios and Bungalows. Studios at the Polynesian are a little different than other DVC studios.  The Bungalows are unlike anything else.

(There’s no one or two bedroom villas present at the Polynesian or in any announced plans.  I do expect to see them here someday, but have no evidence that this will actually happen…)

Murphy Bed Studio Polynesian Villas and Bungalows from

Studios at Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows (“PVB”) sleep five in a queen bed, fold-out couch, and fold-down bed.

Besides normal deluxe room accouterments, they also—like other DVC studios—include a mini-kitchen, with the same coffee-maker and mini-fridge as in other deluxe rooms, but also a small sink, toaster, microwave, and a few eating utensils.

There’s a couple of distinctive features of these studios compared to other DVC studios.

First, you can book them as connecting rooms—most other DVC Studios only connect to (more expensive) One Bedroom Villas.

Studio Floor Plan - Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows from

Second, their capacity for five is currently rare among studios—but becoming more common. Right now, only Studios at the Villas at the Grand Floridian and Villas at the Wilderness Lodge sleep five. (Refurbs in 2015 are expected to also add capacity for five to Studios at the Beach Club and BoardWalk Villas.)

Third, the baths are distinct. Like the Studios at the Grand Floridian, there’s both a sink and shower space and also a separate tub and toilet space. However, the baths at PVB add a sink to the tub and toilet space, yielding one full bath and a second bath with shower and sink. Add the third sink just outside in the mini-kitchen area, and your family will have every chance to be very clean.

Fourth, at 465 square feet (the size of the rooms they were converted from), these Studios are the largest among the DVC Studio offerings.

This is a mostly a function of extra width—about 14’ 3” compared to, for example, the Studios at Grand Floridian at 12’ 9” wide. About 50 square feet comes from that difference.

Much of the rest of the extra space is dedicated to the bath and hallway, rather than to the living space, which is wide but short.

It looks like the footprint of the old bath in the rooms these were converted from remains the same as the footprint of the new full bath, the connecting door and closet take up the space that used to be two closets and the coffee service, and the shower-sink bath and mini-kitchen take up space that in the old rooms was part of the bedroom space.

As a result of these and other design choices, there’s no room for a dresser. Work at it and you can find probably enough storage in various points across a Studio…but less bath and more dresser would have been a good choice.

So who should stay in these rooms? Well, those renting points should definitely consider them. I’ve already seen PVB point rental offers out there—though I expect it’ll take a bit before there’s much available.

Families paying cash instead, and staying 7 nights including two weekend nights, will find prices in standard view Studios between 98% and 101% of what a standard view room at the Poly those nights would cost, and less on various holiday weekends when the Poly standard rooms get an additional upcharge and the Studios don’t. Those on shorter visits will spend a little more at the Studios on weeknights, and a little less on weekends.

The Studios are in what used to be my most highly recommended longhouses at the Polynesian—Pago Pago (which most recently was Rapa Nui), Moorea (recently Tahiti) and Tokelau (whose name has not changed).

I used to recommend these longhouses for three reasons: balconies or patios in every room (standard second floor rooms at the rest of the Poly are missing balconies), nice positioning between the Magic Kingdom resort monorail and the walkway to the Epcot monorail, and an extra 50 square feet compared to rooms in the rest of the Poly longhouses, which extra space used to be all dedicated to the living area.

The first two reasons still hold. However, since now most of the extra square footage is dedicated to the bath and mini-kitchen area, the third reason morphs a bit—at the Studios, for about the same amount of money you get a divided bath and the microwave/toaster, and a smaller overall living space.

Note that half of the rooms in Tokelau face the East Pool, which is expected to see major refurb soon. If these rooms with a construction view are closed, I’d still go with Tokelau as the best standard view choice among the Studios at the Polynesian. If not, pick Pago Pago.

Bungalows in the Polynesian DVC offering are unlike any other accommodations at Disney World. They hold eight people in two bedrooms—like many DVC Two Bedroom Villas. But the differences are so profound that they should be thought of as their own thing, not as an option among the two bedroom choices.

Bungalows Disney's Polynesian Village Resort from

I’m tempted to start with prices, but let’s first focus on the positive.

Each bungalow is its own little building built on pilings in the Seven Seas Lagoon, just away from the Polynesian beaches, and reached from over-water walkways. There’s twenty in all—collectively, the “Bora Bora” area.

Bungalow Floor Plan - Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows from

You enter into the bedroom wing (on the right of the floor plan) and at the far end (on the left) is a deck with views of the Magic Kingdom and its fireworks, sunbathing spots, and a little “cold water” pool in which to refresh yourself on hot sunbathing days.

Note on this deck lounge chairs, table and chairs, and smaller set of chairs (bottom center) accessed from the master bedroom. There’s nothing like this outdoor space anywhere else at Disney World.

(c) Disney

(c) Disney

Just inside, accessed from two sets of sliding glass doors, is a great room with a full kitchen and dining area on one side, and a living room on the other. The dining area seats all eight this room will sleep—something you won’t find at other two bedroom villas—but the living area, as is common, seats fewer. There’s room here to drag some dining room chairs over.

The living room sleeps three—two on a fold-out couch, and one on a fold-down bed.

Back down the entry hall on the right you’ll find the master suite, with a king bed and private bath. It’s similar to what you’ll find in other DVC master rooms.

Across the hall from the master bedroom is the bath for everyone else, which, after the washer/dryer and closet, is divided into two areas.

Beyond it is the second bedroom, sleeping three on a queen and a fold-down bed. Other second bedrooms at DVC villas are much bigger than this, and typically sleep four on two queens.

So what have we got?

• An astonishing deck, likely pretty darn uncomfortable in the sun and humidity even with the little pool from later May through September, but charming the rest of the year, and in early mornings and evenings all year
  • A kitchen/dining/living space that in sum is clearly better than the equivalents elsewhere except perhaps in Old Key West
  • A fine master bedroom and bath
  • A very small second bedroom

For this you will pay (including tax) between $2400 and $3400 a night.

That number is so big it makes my head hurt. This is around twice what a Two Bedroom Villa at the Villas at the Grand Floridian would cost, and just $200 to $500 a night less than a Grand Villa at the Villas at the Grand Floridian—which sleeps four more in almost twice the space. It’s just around $300 less than the flagship, two story, eight bay King Kamehameha Suite at the Polynesian.

So Disney is clearly attributing a lot of value to that deck…or seeing the Bungalows as an alternative not to Two Bedroom Villas elsewhere, but rather to suites at the Polynesian or the Four Seasons.

This review continues here.

Follow on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Mary @ Capturing Magical Memories { 06.25.13 at 7:13 am }

I love the idea of the grand villas along or in the lagoon. Can you just imagine the competition to get those rooms?

2 Dave { 06.25.13 at 9:48 am }

Yeah, Mary…my guess is they will be astonishing!

3 Kuleen @TheDisneyKids { 06.25.13 at 11:05 pm }

I love the ariel view map. I can see where I got married at Sunset Pointe- that little bump at the top right with the walking path that leads up to it. :)

4 Dave { 06.26.13 at 7:08 am }

I bet that was wonderful, Kuleen!

5 Heidi { 06.26.13 at 7:34 am }

And my dream of staying at the Poly one day lives on . . .

6 DIStherapy { 06.26.13 at 9:32 am }

I have such mixed feelings about this Dave. Complete change coming to my 1972 “home” will be a bit tough to take, but I try to balance that sadness by dreaming of a night in a new Tahiti room! Great overview (literally)!!

7 DISining Memories Jenn { 06.26.13 at 10:23 am }

Oh, this prospect makes me so excited! A tri-fecta of monorail DVC locations would make my dream come true!

8 Dave { 06.26.13 at 4:18 pm }

:) Heidi!

9 Dave { 06.26.13 at 4:18 pm }

Jenn, I agree, it’ll be really fun!

10 Allison - Agent with Destinations in Florida { 06.27.13 at 9:43 am }

I am super excited about this expansion. It is going to be amazing!

11 Dave { 06.28.13 at 6:55 am }

Allison, I can’t wait to stay in a 2 bedroom villa with a Magic Kingdom view!!

12 Mary { 07.09.13 at 12:55 pm }

Im not happy about the changes at the poly, i love it just the way it is

13 Dave { 07.10.13 at 8:46 am }

Yeah, Mary, a lot of people agree with you!

14 Aunt Rosie { 10.24.13 at 12:50 am }

If I get to the Poly in late Sept 2014 and find the main pool is closed for rehab. Will I be able to change resorts?

15 Dave { 10.24.13 at 7:37 am }

Well, you can always change resorts if there is capacity elsewhere…

16 Mary Beth { 12.31.13 at 3:08 pm }

Hey, Dave, this is the first time I’ve seen this site, and I have to say I am VERY impressed! I am taking my 3 children for what will probably be our last trip to Disney for quite a while, the oldest will be 15, and childhood is just about over… I have usually stayed at Moderates, Caribbean Beach was a favorite, but we also stayed at All Star Music once and the Contemporary once.
It has always been my dream to stay at the Poly, and this is our year! We will be going in mid- August, and I know you can’t really know what will be happening with the closures by then, so I really would just like your recommendation for which longhouse to request. Thanks!

17 Dave { 01.01.14 at 7:28 am }

Hi Mary Beth and thanks! I still go with Tokelau!

18 Jeannie { 02.05.14 at 1:13 pm }

We just switched our reservation from AKL to The Polynesian, we are annual pass holders and we never splurge on hotels since we are only about an hour or so away. My question is about the restaurant options, can we bring breakfast back to the room from the quick service restaurant? Also, we are due to arrive on Friday, do you think they may be able to get us a reservation for O’hana or the nightly luau? Thanks in advance! This is a great site (especially for someone that like to have ALL of the info ahead of time! )

19 Dave { 02.05.14 at 3:01 pm }

Hi Jeannie, and thanks! Yes, you can get your breakfast at the quick service to go. And I don’t know about ‘Ohana or the Luau Friday…

20 HeidiBTX { 05.28.14 at 7:58 pm }

We are planning our first ever family vacation to Walt Disney World. The travel agent I have been consulting is concerned that renovations at the Polynesian could dramatically impact the quality of a stay there. That being said, I am kind of tempted to see if we can get one of the refurbished rooms there. Any updates on the refurb status and how it might impact a trip in December 2014? Thanks!

21 Dave { 05.30.14 at 11:47 am }

Heidi, the rooms are all refurbed. Of concern then will be the pool. My advice is that if you have doubts, avoid it…

22 HeidiBTX { 06.05.14 at 11:24 am }

Thank you so much. I hadn’t really envisioned us swimming much in December, but I guess they probably heat the pools this being Disneyworld and I should plan for some pool time. We will aim for the Wilderness Lodge. I like the price better anyway and my son/daughter will prefer bunk beds to fighting over who get s the queen and who gets the daybed. Thanks again!

23 Dave { 06.06.14 at 7:37 am }

Cool, Heidi! You probably already know this, but bunk-bed rooms are a separate class at WL–you specifically reserve them.

24 Ashlee { 05.10.15 at 11:07 pm }

We are planning a Disney vacation the first week of December and already have a reservation for a studio at the Polynesian Villas. My question is this… Is the Polynesian Resort always crowded? I have never stayed there before, but every time I have ever visited the resort it seems that way. I am especially concerned about the pool areas (if it is warm enough to swim). My family usually prefers a quieter, more relaxed atmosphere on vacation (we stayed at Kidani Village 3 years ago & LOVED it), so I am a little worried that the Polynesian will be somewhat overwhelming for us.

25 Dave { 05.11.15 at 7:01 am }

Ashlee, with recent 90% occupancy figures, all the Disney resorts are crowded–it’s less noticeable at spaces like Kidani because there’s so much more square feet per person thanks to the villas. The Poly then gains extra crowds because it’s so easy to access, people want to see it, and dining there is popular…

26 Debbie { 06.03.15 at 7:03 pm }

Hi Dave, Thanks for the great review! When completing online check-in, what type of room recommendations can we make for a studio at the poly? We want to be in a third floor room in Tokelau. Lastly, when can we make our candlelight dining package reservations for 2015? Thanks in advance!

27 Dave { 06.05.15 at 8:15 am }

Thanks, Debbie!!

When I booked I did not get offered building choices–perhaps because Tokelau was not open. You can always call…

Polynesian Village Studio On Line Check In from

Last year the Candlelight package started booking in early July.

28 Sue { 08.21.15 at 10:21 pm }

Hi Dave!
Love love love your website! I have told everyone that I know that is going to Disney World that your website is a must to checkout! Such a wealth of information you have! So because of all this inside info you seem to have ?, I’m going to ask you if you know of any plans of the Polynesian to have 1 bedroom villas in their DVC section? I stayed at the Poly when I was a kid back in 1980, and would love to go back, but I’m worried that a studio or regular room would be a little tight for our family of 5, even though it says it can fit that many. We have been to Disney 3 times with our kids and have stayed at Kidani in the 1BR, Wilderness Villas in the 2BR, and actually just got back this past Wednesday from our most recent trip at a 1BR at Bay Lake Tower. We have always liked the kitchen and laundry, so the DVC seems to be the only way to go! And since we just got back, I figured I best start planning for the next one in 2 years! Lol! Thanks so much for whatever info you have!

29 Dave { 08.23.15 at 8:21 am }

Hi Sue and thanks! I don’t know of any such plans (they were part of the original plans, then junked), but I would not be surprised if they re-emerged.

30 Sue { 08.24.15 at 12:00 am }

I hope they re-emerge! Thanks for your quick response! And by the way, I completely agree with you on the “no wow-factor” of Bay Lake Tower. Loved being so close to Magic Kingdom, but the property itself was kind of a yawn. Especially compared to Kidani and Wilderness Villas!

31 Dave { 08.25.15 at 11:16 am }

Everything is a yawn compared to AKL and WL!