Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party (“MVMCP”) in 2013

DISNEY WORLD’S SPECIAL CHRISTMAS PARTY IN 2013

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas PartyWhile Christmas itself is December 25 of course, Walt Disney World provides a special Christmas celebration at the Magic Kingdom many nights in November and December.

This celebration is called “Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, or “MVMCP” for short.

At the party, many of the Magic Kingdom’s rides are open, and cookies and hot chocolate, special events, and slightly different Christmas parades and fireworks, and even snow (!) are offered.

The official Disney World page for this event (where you can also buy tickets, when they become available) can be found here.  For a review of MVMCP, see this.

MORE ON MICKEY’S VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS PARTY

This party occurs from 7p-12MN on certain evenings at the Magic Kingdom in November and December.

2013 dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party include:

• November 2013: 8, 11, 14, 15, 17, 21, and 22
  • December 2013: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, and 20.

You need to buy a special ticket for this party. This ticket is different from regular Walt Disney World park admission tickets.

• The special party ticket does not allow you to enjoy the rides and attractions of the Magic Kingdom before the the Party starts–you need a regular ticket for that (note that you can usually enter and enjoy the rides as early as 4p–although your ticket will say 7p)
  • Regular tickets used to enter the park earlier the day of a Party do not give you access to the Party–you need to have the special Party ticket

The party tickets are expensive, so why would first-time visitors be interested? A couple of potential reasons

• Evening parades and fireworks shows are rare this time of year, so going to one of the parties is a way to guarantee you can see them
  • Operating hours at the Magic Kingdom are shorter this time of year, so the Party allows you more time there within the same visit
  • Walt Disney World sells only a limited number of tickets to each party, so the evening can be less crowded, particularly compared to whenever the Magic Kingdom is doing evening Extra Magic Hours that week

Many families go the first time for one of these reasons…and then going becomes a tradition!

On the other hand, families following one of the standard 8-night itineraries on this site will see the fireworks and evening parade, and have plenty of time at the Magic Kingdom. For that reason, Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is not designed into this site’s pre-Thanksgiving itineraries.

It is, however, built in to this site’s Christmas-oriented Basic Itinerary, which works for the three weeks beginning the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

1 michelle santiago { 05.02.13 at 2:33 pm }

Hello…thanks so much for the info. I just wanted to double check with you to be sure that we still have to purchase the military tickets for MVMCP @ Magic Kingdom? Or can we now get them on base?

thanks again!!

2 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 05.03.13 at 7:56 am }

Hi Michelle,

I am waiting for my WDW Media Relations contact to get back to me on this year’s procedure for military purchase of the MVMCP (and MNSSHP) tickets.

Prior to last year you were required to make your purchase in person to show your ID. This often led to military guests not being able to attend as the events would sell out by volume during the advance purchase phase.

Last year I worked out a deal with WDW, where military guests could purchase the discounted tickets once at WDW even if the date they wanted was sold out.

There were some problems implementing this, as it was worked out after the MNSSHP had started its run and unfortunately some members were turned array.

A couple months ago I was told that WDW was planning to use this procedure this year again, but that they would confirm for me. I hope to hear today…

I do not think there has ever been any intent to sell these at Base ITTs.

I’ll post back here and of course on my blog once I hear.

Steve

3 Dave { 05.03.13 at 10:53 am }

Thanks Steve!

4 Mike { 05.16.13 at 2:11 am }

I don’t understand how you can enter the party and go in rides versus the people with normal tickets. Who gets to use which rides?

5 Mike { 05.16.13 at 2:42 am }

Also, is it safe to say that a Thursday vs Friday doesn’t matter when it comes to party crowds? Both will sell out the same maximum capacity.

6 Dave { 05.16.13 at 8:09 am }

Mike, people with “normal” tickets have to leave the park at 7p.

7 Dave { 05.16.13 at 8:09 am }

Nope, Mike, because not all Thursdays sell out, but most Fridays do.

8 Ana { 05.26.13 at 4:03 pm }

How do they know if all people with a “regular” ticket have left the park?

9 Dave { 05.27.13 at 5:29 pm }

Ana, they use multiple techniques. Most commonly, those with party tickets get armbands, and people without them are shooed out of the park, and not allowed on any rides…

10 Dara { 06.02.13 at 9:02 pm }

Do you know if the parties, activities, character meet and greets are the same every year? Can we look to previous years schedules or do we need to wait. I would love to get a handle on what we will definitely want to see/do during the party specials. I am rally hoping my son will be able to see The Seven Dwarfs while we are at the party. I heard they were there last year. So sad I do not want to rush the summer away but I can not wait to go.

11 Dave { 06.03.13 at 7:51 am }

Dara, Disney kinda does what it wants, so while there’s some consistency from year to year, there’s also typically changes, sometimes big ones…so you can’t count on the Seven Dwarfs…but with the Seven Dwarfs ride opening in 2014, I’d be surprised if they weren’t there…

12 Donna { 06.14.13 at 3:55 am }

Hi There, I just want to clarify: if I am at Disney Animal Kingdom Park on Thursday December 12 with a non-hopper ticket; later that evening I can go to Mickey’s Xmas…Party at the Magic Kingdom by purchasing the “special party” ticket (in advance of course) without a regular admission ticket, is that correct? And if so, that special admission starts at 7pm or as early as 4pm thru a special entrance where we are given wristbands and we can then enjoy the special event and the normal attractions and rides just with the special ticket? Sorry to seem redundant :)
Donna

13 Dave { 06.14.13 at 9:59 am }

Donna, don’t worry about being redundant, lotsa other people have the same question!

You have this exactly correct. The qualifier I’d note is that if you ask Disney, they won’t tell you that you can come in at 4. They have always let people in at 4 in the past, though…

14 Kristen { 07.02.13 at 12:08 pm }

Okay, Dave, now I feel like I’m stalking you a bit, as this is my third message in less than 24 hours. Your advice truly is invaluable! Here is our tentative itinerary; can you tell me what you think? A few things you need to know…we have an 8 year old and a 3 year old who are far happier with early mornings than with late nights. We go every year, and our main goal is to avoid crowds as much as possible! LOL! We always stay off-site, so we look to avoid EMH as much as possible. Also, we typically do not buy Park Hoppers. With that said…
Sun. Dec. 1…Animal Kingdom
Mon. Dec. 2…Epcot: Akershus for princess lunch, hoping for Candlelight Processional ressies for dinner that night
Tues. Dec. 3…Magic Kingdom with MVMCP that evening
Wed. Dec. 4…Magic Kingdom
Thurs. Dec. 5…Animal Kingdom
Fri. Dec. 6…Magic Kingdom
Sat. Dec. 7…Hollywood Studios

15 Dave { 07.03.13 at 7:47 am }

Kristen don’t worry about stalking LOL. Many, many people ask multiple questions, and other people like to read the comments and replies!

The only issue I note with your itinerary is Saturday at HS. That’s am extra magic hours there. The easiest fix would be to swap your plans for Monday and Saturday…

16 Aaron { 07.09.13 at 12:20 pm }

Wanted to run an itinary by you for your thoughts.
Sun Dec 1. Arrive MVMCP in evening
Mon Dec 2. HS maybe MK
Tues Dec 3. Epcot
Wed Dec 4. AK
Thurs Dec 5. MK
Fri Dec 6 Kids choice
My worry is that I bought the Dec 1 MVMCP tix ahead of time and have been reading that this is projected to be one of the busiest parties. I belive that the tix are non refundable. Do you think that it will be so crowded that we will be better off purchasing tix for a later date?

17 Dave { 07.10.13 at 8:46 am }

Aaron, a couple of thoughts:

First, don’t worry about your MVMCP date. Disney limits the tix it sell for each party, so while some are slightly more crowded than others, all are really just fine!

Second, I’m not keen on the rest of your itinerary. You’ve picked a lot of morning extra magic hours days. These are great for the first couple of hours, but overall are more crowded later in the day than non-EMH days.

I’d suggest for example
12/2 HS
12/3 MK
12/4 Epcot
12/5 AK
12/6 Kids choice

Hope this helps!!

18 Alicia { 07.18.13 at 11:22 am }

My family and I are going on November 10-15 or November 11-16 depending on if the free dining deal comes out or not. The question I have is, is MVMCP worth the cost for a family of 4? It would probably be a once in a lifetime deal. My kids are 7, 5, and 2. Also this will probably be our last Disney trip for quite a few years.

19 Dave { 07.18.13 at 4:39 pm }

Alicia, that’s a tough call. What you get at MVMCP is lower crowds, unique–and very cool–fireworks, and an xmas themed parade. There’s other stuff too. Though your tickets will say 7p, you typically are allowed to enter at 4p, which improves the value of the tickets.

Moreover, on non-MVMCP days, the MK is mobbed, because it is open later those nights,, and those are the only nights that non-MVMCP goers can see the (different) evening parade and fireworks.

Your trip is a little short, so another advantage of MVMCP is that you can go to a park that morning that your 5 year old won’t have much interest in–e.g. Epcot or Hollywood Studios–and end the day at MVMCP.

On the other hand these tix are very expensive…I think the value is there if you can afford it…

20 Anonymous { 08.11.13 at 10:37 pm }

We are planning on the first Saturday and Sunday in December with our 3 year old grandchild, her mom and dad (our daughter) and two other of our grown children. We have problems with schedules, etc. Our son is in the military and our son in law has to be back at work Monday or Tuesday. We would like to go to Mickey’s Christmas party and also have been told not to miss the Cinderella breakfast. Is all this possible in 3 days? And can my son (military) get us discounts on tickets? Sorry for all the questions…haven’t been in over 20 years!

21 Dave { 08.12.13 at 8:48 am }

Hi, first, your son can get you incredibly cheap tickets, but they are four day tickets. It’s OK to use them for fewer days… See this and its links: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/07/28/disney-world-armed-forces-salute-for-fy14/ He can also buy cheaper tickets for MVMCP. See this http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/military-discounts/2013-military-discount-prices-on-mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Second, I do think that if you can afford it, you should go to the Christmas party, I’m not sure if your weekend is 11/30 and 12/1, or 12/7 and 12/8. The party is showing on 21/1 and also on 12/8. For other Christmas events–not all appropriate for a 3 year old–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/05/15/christmas-2013-at-walt-disney-world/

The Cinderella meal is wonderful, but is likely already booked for your dates. On such a short trip, I wouldn’t make dining a huge priority anyway.

I hope this helps!!

Dave

22 Patrizia { 09.04.13 at 12:25 pm }

This is our first trip to Disney World. I was planning on a day at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom but then found out about MVMCP. Would you recommend doing both a day at Magic Kingdom as well as MVMCP on a different day or just MVMCP? We have a 3-year old and will also have our 4-month old with us. The goal of the trip is to enjoy Disney but yet spend several days at the pool for some relaxation as we know we will be back when the kids are older.

23 Dave { 09.05.13 at 7:06 am }

Honestly, Patrizia, at those ages, and given that this won’t be your only trip…and how expensive the party is–I’d hold off on it til your kids are old enough to stay up til the end…

Was this even remotely helpful? Then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

24 Steve { 09.07.13 at 10:27 pm }

We will be at WDW in mid december with a nearly 5 yr old. We do not plan to stay at any park past 7 or 8. What days would provide the lowest crowds for MK, MVMCP days or EMH days?

25 Dave { 09.08.13 at 12:17 pm }

Steve, MVMCP days without EMH will be much less crowded than either EMH or non-MVMCP days…

Well then mosey on over to the home page, and like it on Facebook or pin it on Pinterest!

26 Lauren { 09.08.13 at 3:37 pm }

Ok my mother in law is buying us all mvmcp tickets this year. It is going to be very expensive. Are there any deals ( we are fl residents). And if we have to go on a weekend, when would you suggest?

27 Dave { 09.09.13 at 8:54 am }

Hi Larune!! There’s deals for MVMCP DVC members, annual pass-holders, and military members, but not–that I can find–FL residents. You pay less by paying on line, and some of the dates are priced less than others. I don’t have any solid reason to prefer one weekend over another–they all look fine to me…

28 Kay { 09.11.13 at 10:39 am }

I’m planning to go 2nd week of December. I have 4 full days I can utilize for Disney. I wanna visit all parks and am considering the Christmas Party.

The first full day I was thinking of starting at MK. That day it closes early for the Christmas Party. But does it seem silly to you to have admission to MK and the party the same day? (Since people may get in early as 4pm with th party tickets, and I would like to stay late for the party resulting me to possibly arrive to the park late.)

29 Kay { 09.11.13 at 10:39 am }

Sorry I mean December ^^^^ in my last post

30 Dave { 09.12.13 at 10:01 am }

Kay if you are going to the Xmas party and all 4 parks, there’s three sensible ways to do it.

One is to go to the Xmas party on a day you are otherwise off.
Second is to go on an AK day, since AK has no evening events.
And third is to hit MK early (that is before it opens…), take an afternoon break, and then go to the party too. This last makes more sense than it seems because party days are not busy at MK, so you can really do a lot between say 9a and 1p…

Sleeping in and arriving at MK mid-day is not a great idea as you will be there at the busiest time…

31 Dave { 09.12.13 at 10:02 am }

Got, it, fixed it for you!

32 Sammie { 10.03.13 at 1:29 am }

I am wondering about the possibility of getting MVMCP tickets on the day of the party. We will be there in the parks from Dec. 2nd-11th. We’re just not sure about having the extra $ for it yet.

33 Dave { 10.03.13 at 8:07 am }

Sammie, I know parties sell out, but I can’t quote you the odds. See this though for some insight: http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/06/05/disney-world-magic-kingdom-christmas-party/

34 Alicia { 10.04.13 at 7:58 am }

If a party is completely sold out what is the average wait time on the most popular rides?
Thanks

35 Dave { 10.04.13 at 12:10 pm }

Wait times of 10-20 minutes are typical, Alicia.

36 megan { 10.05.13 at 4:22 pm }

Dave – debating MVMCP only on Friday Dec 6th or Sunday Dec 8th – any advice?

37 Dave { 10.06.13 at 9:12 am }

Megan, I’d have a slight preference for Sunday, as, since it’s a school night, local crowds should be lower.

38 Veronica { 10.11.13 at 9:11 am }

Hi

We bought tickets for November 14. We are staying over on Universal Property but are taking the Mears shuttle over to MK for the party. We should be at MK by 5pm. We will be able to get in then, correct?
November 14th is a Thursday so I am hoping it will not be crowded!

39 Dave { 10.12.13 at 9:01 am }

Hey Veronica, “officially” the party begins at 7p, but for years Disney has let people in beginning at 4.

I’d expect pretty light lines at the party your date!

40 Joan { 10.14.13 at 10:24 pm }

We are coming to WDW from 11/8-11/15. We were thinking 11/11 for Christmas parade. Should we buy tix ahead of time or wait to see weather once were there? Also which mornings and parks can disney hotel guests go early?

41 Dave { 10.15.13 at 7:21 am }

Hi Joan, I’m not sure I’d pay much attention to the weather–bad weather means lower crowds…You can see the extra magic hours schedule on Disney’s website, but in general it’s best to avoid parks on days they have extra hours. For why, and some other complexities for picking your park days, see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/04/30/crowds-and-walt-disney-world/

42 Megan { 10.20.13 at 6:50 pm }

We were planning on going to party on 12/12. Is the crowd level usually high on Thursday nights? We went on a Friday night in 2009 (very crowded) and a tues evening in 2011 (not crowded at all).

43 Dave { 10.21.13 at 10:01 am }
44 lydia { 10.22.13 at 1:52 pm }

Hi there,
I hope to go to MMCP on either the 11th (Veterans Day) or the 14th- which would be best

45 Dave { 10.23.13 at 7:16 am }

Hi Lydia! I have a slight preference for the 11th, but think both will be fine!

46 lydia { 10.23.13 at 2:37 pm }

Thank you!

47 Molly { 11.01.13 at 11:09 am }

Quick Question -is there a way to find out what rides/attractions will be open? My family is coming, and would like to do opening night of MVMCP, but wants to make sure they can enjoy the new fantasyland!

48 Dave { 11.02.13 at 10:11 am }

Molly, I should have a copy of the program in a week, but expect that all of New Fantasyland (except of course the mine train which is not open at all yet) will be open! See this for what was open during this year’s Halloween Party– it should be very similar http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/02/21/halloween-2013-at-walt-disney-world/

49 Maggie { 11.03.13 at 2:38 pm }

Hi, I was just wanting to clarify that I do not have to have a regular park admission in addition to the MVMCP ticket. Correct?

50 Dave { 11.04.13 at 7:08 am }

Yup, that’s right, Maggie.

51 John { 11.24.13 at 6:29 pm }

We are planning on going to Magic Kingdom on Dec 7th with our 3 and 4 year old. From what I’ve seen this is when they are taping the parade. Should we avoid Magic Kingdom on this day or do you think we’ll be OK?

52 Dave { 11.25.13 at 6:35 am }

John, the taping clots up Main Street and the area in front of the Castle, and changes the schedule of things that typically use Main Street, like the afternoon parade. But the rest of the park is unaffected, and I think you will be fine!

53 Heidi { 12.03.13 at 12:15 am }

So I wish I would have known about the best days to go to the Xmas parade a couple of months ago when I bought my tickets. I bought my tickets for Thurseday dec.5th. I was planning to do MK on Tuesday bc it has no EMH but I didn’t even know that it would affect it for the parade. Has my plan is to do AK in Thurseday and then head to MK for the parade. What do you suggest for us ( 4 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son and a 4 monther baby) to try to do at the MVCP. I will try to what I mostly can on Tues. (Tmr) at MK but but is there any suggestion on what I can leave out tmr and do in Thurseday night or vs??? Thank you so much.

54 Dave { 12.03.13 at 7:26 am }

Hi Heidi, what I’d do is skip Fantasyland and save it for MVMCP night. At MVMCP, do rides til the Castle show at 9, then watch it, the fireworks, and the second parade.

55 Heidi { 12.03.13 at 5:43 pm }

Hi Dave, sorry for all the questions. I did what you suggested, left fantasyland for Thurseday in the afternoon for MVCP. But I notice it was a lot, and my 4 yr old finish super duper tired by 4:00, if I do AK that day, will it be a lot? or can I start AK late like 12ish?? Or maybe even do AK tmr, I just want my daughter to have a great experience At Fantasyland bc she really wants to see the princesses but I’m afraid she will be to tired if it’s a lot. Thanks for your time.

56 Dave { 12.05.13 at 8:43 am }

Hi Heidi, this may be too late, but I’d do AK til about 1p, then go back to the hotel for a nap…

57 Shira { 12.05.13 at 10:45 am }

What is the difference in selling out capacity for MCMCP and max capacity for a park? Debating how packed it will be for the last party on dec 20 vs going to MK all day on the 21. The eight hours on the 20 should be enough time to do all rides on the 20 if capacity is significantly less for the party. TIA!

58 Dave { 12.07.13 at 3:00 pm }

Hi Shira, MK has had more than 80,000 people in it, while most think that Disney won’t sell more than 25,000 or so tix for MVMCP…