New Disney World Armed Forces Salute Announced for FY 2013

DISNEY WORLD MILITARY SALUTE TICKETS AND ROOM RATE DEAL FOR 10/1/2012-9/28/2013

Update July 2013: This deal has been offered for FY 14–October 2013 into September 2014–as well! See this.

Steve at MilitaryDisneyTips.com broke the news earlier today that there’s a new Disney World offer for US active and retired forces for FY 13–specifically, October 1 2012 through September 28 2013.

There’s two separate deals: on tickets, and on hotels.  I’m seeing some inconsistencies, and am missing a fact or two which I’ll fix later, but based on Steve’s scoop and the draft press release which Disney sent him, and he forwarded to me, here’s the details:

NEW 2012/2013 DISNEY WORLD TICKET DEAL FOR THE ARMED FORCES

Tickets can be purchased from 17 August 2012 through September 25 2013, and must be used from 1 October 2012 through 28 September 2013.

(Re the August 17 date–some ITT offices were already selling them last week–I don’t know if that has stopped…but since they won’t “sell out,” give your ITT office a break and wait until the 27th?)

Dates on which these tickets cannot be used are

• 24 – 31 December 2012 (No use of any ticket features)
  • 24 March – 4 April 2013 (No use of any ticket features)
  • July 4, 2012 (No use at Magic Kingdom)

Only 6 tickets are available per military member (exceptions will be made for larger direct families– e.g. two parents with 5 kids), and they must all be purchased at the same time.  It’s unclear right now if they must also all be activated at the same time.

Ticket options and prices:

• Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets or Four-Day Water Park and More Tickets for $156 per person
  • Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets plus the Water Park and More Option for $184 per person

NEW 2012/2103 DISNEY WORLD ROOM RATE DEAL FOR THE ARMED FORCES

Disney World resort hotel room discounts for military members for 10/1/2102 through 9/28 2013 include

The blackout dates for this offer vary a bit from the ticket offer. You won’t be able to book for

• 22 – 24 November 2012
  • 23-31 December 2012, and
  • 25 March – 4 April 2013

Unlike the tickets, these room discounts do have a limited number of rooms assigned to them, so may sell out.  Moreover, Friday or Saturday arrivals may have minimum lengths of stay required. These rooms, according to Steve, are available for reservation NOW.

I’ll publish more details as they get them–and in the meantime, also check out Steve’s post here.

LINKS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Comments moderated by Steve Bell of Military Disney Tips

1 ZK { 08.10.12 at 10:35 am }

Do you know if the discounts are available to people who served and then were honorably discharged (as opposed to retired)?

2 Dave { 08.10.12 at 3:58 pm }

Hi ZK, unless you are 100% disabled, there’s not much for non-retired. Shades of Green is available to vets with a DD-214 in Sept and Jan.

See this for Shades: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/next-best-resort-choices/review-shades-of-green-resort-at-walt-disney-world-continued/

…and see this for more on non-career veterans and WDW: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/disney-discounts/disney-military-discounts-a-confusing-topic-for-disabled-veterans/

3 Anonymous { 08.12.12 at 8:28 am }

Hi. Can you elaborate a bit on how the “activation” process goes. Can I activate the tickets using the military ID of a family member who won’t be present? They are checking in on our second day. Will we be forced to miss a day and wait until day two when the military family member will be there or can we just present their military ID?

4 Dave { 08.12.12 at 5:33 pm }

Hey–if the “missing” person is who was eligible for and bought the tickets, then you cannot use the tickets until the missing person (or spouse) is present at a turnstile to activate them…

5 Kate { 08.20.12 at 10:58 pm }

My husband is now Naval Reserves (though seems to keep leaving a lot, anyway!); does this preclude our family from the discount tickets since he is no longer “active” duty?

6 Dave { 08.21.12 at 4:44 am }

Hi Kate, yes, you are eligible!

7 Jennifer { 08.22.12 at 11:29 am }

Can you buy the same tickets at Shades of green or the at the parks or only at the ITT offices? Are the tickets taxed free at the ITT office? And do you know how far in advance you should order them from the ITT office? I know one time they had to order them and it took awhile.

8 Dave { 08.22.12 at 11:42 am }

Jennifer, I suggest you ask these same question of Steve here– http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/disney-military-discounts/new-disney-armed-forces-salute-announced-for-2012-2013/ He’s closer to the specifics, details, and pitfalls!

9 Sophie Stroucken { 08.25.12 at 9:24 am }

Do the discounts apply to members of the British Military. My Patner and I, along with my two young children (3 + 1) and my parents are traveling to Orlando on 31 October. If the discounts dp apply, where can the tickets be purchased.

10 Dave { 08.25.12 at 3:22 pm }

Hi Sophie, I’m sorry but they apply to US forces only…

11 Jen { 08.31.12 at 11:16 am }

Do you know if the dinning plan is available to those who are getting discounted military tickets and staying at the pop century resort?

12 Dave { 08.31.12 at 11:32 am }

Hi Jen, I believe that to be eligible for the dining plan you need to buy a few days worth of tickets at regular prices per person. The dining plan these days not save much money, so I’d skip it and go with the military discounts instead…
Jen I got this wrong–see this and what follows: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/08/08/new-disney-world-armed-forces-salute-announced-fy-2013/#comment-56685

13 Danielle S { 08.31.12 at 12:09 pm }

Does the military member get a free ticket or do they have to pay as well?

14 Dave { 08.31.12 at 12:22 pm }

Hi Danielle–they have to pay as well.

15 Trisha { 09.01.12 at 12:11 pm }

Do you know if they are offering more than 4-day tickets? We’re looking to purchase 6-day. Also, where might we be able to purchase these? Thank you in advance!

16 Bonnie { 09.01.12 at 11:59 pm }

Is it possible to forfeit a day on the 4-day military ticket and use it for the Halloween party?

17 Dave { 09.02.12 at 6:31 am }

Hi Trisha. Only 4 days tix are available in this deal. There are other options if you want to have longer tickets. See Steve’s comment here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/#comment-55494

18 Dave { 09.02.12 at 6:39 am }

Hi Bonnie, no you can’t…

19 Pat { 09.02.12 at 7:25 pm }

I am a surviving spouse of a medical retiree. Do these special offers also apply to
Disneyland in Anaheim, CA?

20 Dave { 09.03.12 at 7:56 am }

Hi Pat, yes there are. See this for more specific on the Disneyland offers: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Disney-Armed-Forces-Salute.html

21 Kim S. { 09.03.12 at 10:50 pm }

Hi Dave!
I’m loving this site! I’m afraid I have a million questions, but lets start here. My fiance is in the Air Force and we’d like to book for November 3-10/11 of this year…. (Don’t laugh, I would have loved to have booked 180 days in advance! haha) Can we take advantage of the free Disney dining plan? We’re open to staying at Shades of Green or another resort. I definitely want to take advantage of the food and wine festival, since I believe it’s going on then. We have an 11 year old boy we need to keep happy…. We also want to take advantage of Universal as well.
Should we split our stay between 2 hotels, as I’ve read some people do? Like stay at SOG when we’re attending Universal and one of the Disney resorts when hitting up Epcot and such to take advantage of the dining plan?
We’re driving down from Jersey, ugh, I know, but we’re trying to cut costs and maybe make coming down and going back fun and educational. I’m a tri-state area girl, obviously this makes me a foodie and I want to get the most bang for my buck without breaking the bank.
Thanks in Advance!
P.S. Do you know anything about cancellation times/costs? Just in case my guy gets orders for when we’re supposed to be there…

22 Dave { 09.04.12 at 6:51 am }

Hi Kim and thanks for the love!

Your arrival dates aren’t eligible for free dining (see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/07/12/free-dining-plan-disney-world-fall-2012/ ) because they are during Jersey week, a somewhat busy time when Disney offers no discounts (see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/05/02/jersey-week-at-walt-disney-world/ )

I don’t know about Shades or Universal, but for the Disney resorts the “cancel by” date varies, depending on what package you get–it can be 45 days or 5.

Shades will be the best bargain, but I don’t really recommend it, especially since you can get a nice deal on the WDW hotels for the Military Salute. See this for more on Shades http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/02/22/review-shades-of-green-resort-at-walt-disney-world/ and this for more specific advice on where to stay: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/where-to-stay/

23 Nicole { 09.04.12 at 9:20 pm }

We are going to WDW with an active duty family but they have a family of 5 so can only purchase us 1 ticket. My father who is retired has offered to purchase the other 2 but will not be making the trip with us. Will this work? We will have 2 people with a military ID (the active duty member and his spouse) but for 2 of our tickets it win’t be the same as who purchased it.

24 Dave { 09.05.12 at 6:57 am }

Hi Nicole, this won’t work. The purchaser (or spouse) has to activate in person…)

25 Jean { 09.05.12 at 7:33 am }

Dave, your advice to Jen was incorrect. You can book a room in a Disney resort at the military discount and the meal plan. Unlike other packages that require at least a one day base ticket in order to get the Disney dining plan, the current military discount does not. You cannot, however combine the military discounted rooms with the free dining offer.

26 Dave { 09.05.12 at 7:39 am }

Jean, thanks so much!

27 Christine from Destinations In Florida { 09.05.12 at 7:48 am }

Hi Jen,

Yes! You can book the dining plan using the military room discount. In fact, for our guests, that’s the only way we recommend doing it. You book the military discount room and add dining. Then, visit your base travel office to pick up the discounted tickets. It’s absolutely the best discount Disney offers!

28 Steve { 09.05.12 at 7:53 am }

Yep Dave Jean is correct.

The Armed Forces Salute “room only” reservation is viewed by Disney like an Annual Passholder room only reservation and as such eligible for any paid dining plan. Tickets are a separate transaction in these situations

It is the free dining which can’t be used with the AFS room rates as that would be stacking a discounted meal plan on a discounted room.

29 Dave { 09.05.12 at 8:49 am }

Hey Jean, I reached out to some wizards in addition to you–and all are agreed that I messed this up! I will email Jen to give her the correct info–thanks again, and thanks to Steve from http://MilitaryDInseyTips.com and Christine from Destinations in Florida for weighing in!

30 carmen Davis { 09.09.12 at 3:33 pm }

my family would like to spend Christmas at Disney world (12/26-1/1). However, this is a black out date for military room discounts.
Besides moving our dates, are there any other discounts available for rooms for military families (Shades of Green is booked through 1/1)?
Carmen

31 Dave { 09.10.12 at 7:15 am }

Carmen, the week between Christmas and New years is the worst of the year at WDW in terms of crowds and prices, and because of that you’ll never see discounts for anyone then…are you sure you want to go them? The Christmas celebrations are fully in place the day after Thanksgiving, so early December is a much better time to go…see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/10/20/2012-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

32 Bill { 09.17.12 at 7:01 pm }

D,

We (total family of four) are going on a trip to DisneyLand. I am retired active duty. We are meeting my in-laws (two) and my wife’s sister (and family – four). We set this up believing we could buy ten tickets (I buy four, spouse buys six) and we could all enjoy a Disneyland vacation. We recently got conflicting guidance, only six tickets per family, not ID Card holder. Will we run into a problem trying to get in?

Thanks for this site!!

33 Dave { 09.17.12 at 8:35 pm }

Bill-this is a repeat, you need answer it only once:

Bill–more thoughtful response tomorrow–but a key point: when is your planned arrival date and last day of use date?

34 Laverne { 09.19.12 at 9:53 am }

Planning on going to WDW week after Thanksgiving 2012. Attendees; Myself (mil ret) spouse, My daughter, her husband, three grandkids- ages 10, 6, & 1. Also my daughter’s father-in-law, ex mil not retired. Can I get the military discounted ticket for him?

35 Dave { 09.19.12 at 10:26 am }

Hi Laverne, you can officially get as a spouse 5 tickets–altho many cast members will let get you six. So as I count, you’ll be OK with 6 tix (the 1yo does not need one) but not with 5…

For more on this 5 vs 6 issue see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/special-circumstances/military-families/#comment-58253

36 Christie King { 09.23.12 at 7:43 pm }

Dave
My family and I plan on arriving on March 4 2013 and want to do the 4 main parks , then go to universal for 2 days (1 if enough ) and maybe Lego land and finally hit typhoon lagoon on outlast day. We plan on staying at one of the resorts (port Orleans then go to shades of green. Is it cheaper to get the salute to the military 4 day ticket then a separate ticket for the water park or get regular 5 day tickets with the military discount

37 Christie King { 09.23.12 at 7:45 pm }

Apologize the tickets would be one adult kids 12,11, and , 7. Leaving early morning of the 12th

38 Dave { 09.24.12 at 7:19 am }

Hi Christie, what you want is the military salute ticket with the water parks and more option. The waterparks option does not use a day of your 4-day ticket–it’s a whole separate ticketing system…and you can’t get a 5 day military salute ticket anyway!

39 Kristi { 09.28.12 at 12:16 pm }

My family of 4 is traveling to WDW November 12, 2012 with my parents (total of 6). My dad’s ID card reads “Department of the Air Force Civilian Identification” Status “RET/CIV”. Will he be able to receive a Military Salute Discount Tickets or any other park admission discounts? We will not be staying on property so we are just looking at the 4 day park tickets.

40 Frank scopelliti { 09.29.12 at 1:34 pm }

I served in the armed forces for 2 years during a wartime ( vietnam), 1972-74. Does Disney world provide anything at anytime for honorably discharged war serving veterans or do they pick and choose what war they would like to honor veterans? Don’t mean to be sarcastic, but think about what you are doing here. Again, I apologize, but selecting certain times to honor certain veterans seems a bit prejudiced here. Will you please pass along my thoughts. We love Disney World.

41 Dave { 09.29.12 at 1:57 pm }

Frank, I’m just a guy with a website, and have nothing to do with Disney…

42 Sandy { 10.11.12 at 9:58 pm }

Dave, I am the spouse of a military retiree. We don’t live close to a base. I will be going to DW in December with other family members (myself, and 4 others). One of the other people on the trip has a brother-in-law who is ative military. Could the active military person buy the 5 discount vouchers for me on base and then I (as the spouse of a military retiree) have them activated at DW? The purchaser would not be going on the trip and won’t be going to DW during the promotion period. Thanks!

43 Dave { 10.12.12 at 6:40 am }

Sandy, if I understand you correctly, no–the eligible person who purchases must also activate, or the eligible person’s own spouse. From your description of yourself you seem like you may be eligible, and if you are, you don’t have to go to a base to purchase–you can purchase at WDW, at Shades of Green or at the ticket booths…

44 Tia { 10.22.12 at 8:21 am }

What number do I call to buy these tickets?

45 Dave { 10.22.12 at 9:13 am }

Hi Tia, you can’t get these over the phone–only in person, so that you can show an eligible ID. See #5 on this page for where you can buy them in person: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/disney-military-discounts/top-ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-disneys-armed-forces-salute-military-discount-tickets/

46 Mike Pagnano { 10.28.12 at 8:55 pm }

I would like to know if your military discount for Walt Disney World and cruise to Castaway also applies to those of us that serve in the Army and were in the Viet Nam War? I spent two tours there and was honorably discharged. At this time in my life that I would like to take my wife, daughter, son-in-law and two granddaughter, age 2 and 5. Please let me know. My plan is to take the four day cruise to Castaway (2 Cabins) and stay two additional days after docking at Cape Canaverial and drive two Walt Disney world. Thanks!! I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

47 Dave { 10.29.12 at 6:42 am }

Hi Mike, it’s not “my” discount–I’m just a guy with a website. The discounts apply to active duty and career retired.

48 Tanner { 11.10.12 at 10:32 am }

I am an adult (20 yr old) dependent of my 100% disabled/retired Coast Guard. Am I able to purchase these tickets with my US Uniformed Services card at the local MWR office?

49 Dave { 11.10.12 at 2:06 pm }

Hi Tanner, no, sorry, only the service member or spouse can buy and activate these tickets

50 Shawna { 11.13.12 at 3:45 pm }

Do you have to use the 4 day tickets all at once? Or can you use 2 days this month and 2 days next month?

51 Dave { 11.14.12 at 6:25 am }

Hi Shawna! They expire 14 days after the first day is used.

52 Adele { 12.01.12 at 11:41 pm }

We are traveling with a group of 11 children and grandchildren to WDW in the late winter. Will we be able to get tickets for the group.

53 Dave { 12.02.12 at 11:21 am }

Adele, do you mean 2012 or 2013. If 2012, the military tickets are available for up to 6 people including the sponsor. Disney will expand the number you can buy if you have a large direct family–that is if you and your kids are >6. They won’t expand how many you can buy for the grandkids tho… This deal expires and its tickets must be used by the end of September 2013.

54 Carrie { 12.03.12 at 8:55 am }

We are planning a visit and I would like to use the Military Salute 4-day park hopper, but our preferred days of use fall over one blackout date. Is there a chance they would honor this date, being that would be the final day of our trip and and is the first of the blackout days? If not we may have a marathon of a day our first day there! Thanks for your input!

55 Dave { 12.03.12 at 8:59 am }

Hi Carrie! No, they won’t let you use your Military ticket on the blackout date…

56 Robert { 12.14.12 at 10:58 pm }

If my family and I wanted to go to Disneyland one month and Disney world a couple of months later, can we purchase two separate armed forces salute tickets or is it a once a year for both parks thing?

57 Dave { 12.15.12 at 2:51 pm }

Sure you can, Robert; they are separate offers and you can use both!

58 tya { 12.17.12 at 11:55 am }

My family is planning to go to Disney this week on the 22nd. Im now reading that the military discount has to be used before the 24th. Do you know if we have to purchase 4 day hoppers with the military discount or are we allowed to just purchase 1 or 2 day passes at a discounted rate ?

59 amanda { 12.17.12 at 1:42 pm }

Do they do just one day free for military? Like Busch gardens military can pick a day and go for free once a year. Does Disney do that? My husband and. I are both military..we don’t want the four day deal..just one

60 Dave { 12.17.12 at 4:48 pm }

Hi Tya, the only military ticket offer is for the 4 day pass.

61 Dave { 12.17.12 at 4:48 pm }

Hi Amanda, I’m sorry but Disney does not do the one day free deal, just the four day discount deal.

62 Kimberly { 01.12.13 at 3:01 pm }

My husband is retired Airforce but we don’t live by a base to purchase the tickets to Disneyworld. We called the closest base (which is 4 hours away) and they stated we could purchase the tickets at the gate with our military ID. Is this true? I wanted to double check. Thank you

63 Dave { 01.13.13 at 10:36 am }

Hi Kimberly, yes you can buy the Military Salute tickets on site, at Shades of Green (tax free) or at the parks (which will be taxed).

64 maria { 01.15.13 at 7:09 am }

hi…we are coming to disney with our mother in law who is a spouse of retired US forces…we plan to buy the four day pass park hopper using the militart discount for 6 of us…..is there a list of approved ducments that disney will except to prove she is a spouse of a retired military? He does not have a retired military ID…has discharge papers, and papers he has received for insurance, etc….but there is no picture ID….and does she need to bring a marriage certificate to show she is his spouse? Thank you so much!

65 Dave { 01.15.13 at 7:35 am }

Maria, I’m gonna ask my friend Steve, an expert, to weigh in on this–but to get the discount she will need conclusive proof the he is career retired, and that she is his spouse…

66 Steve from MilitaryDisneyTips.com { 01.15.13 at 8:47 am }

Hi there Maria,

If your mother-in-law’s husband is retired from the US military he would have a retired ID and he would be drawing a retirement pension from the military. As the spouse of a retired military member she would also have a spouse ID.

Military members retire after having served 20 or more years in the military. Since he has no ID I’m assuming that he served in the military at some point, yet not long enough to earn a retirement. Is that correct?

Disney’s Armed Forces Salute, which includes the special 4-day tickets you are referring to, is only for current and retired military members, their spouses, and certain medically retired individuals. All of these people have IDs which currently grant them access to US Military Bases. Those without IDs are not eligible for the Disney offer.

Shades of Green is a military owned and operated resort on Disney World property. They do have a Salute to Our Veterans Program for those who served in the military but did not retire. These individuals may stay at Shades and purchase the slightly military discounted Disney World tickets (but not the Armed Forces Salute Tickets) during the months of January and September. This program is for the member not their spouse though.

See this page for details on the Shades of Green offer: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Non-Retired-Veterans.html

67 Dave { 01.15.13 at 9:27 am }

Thanks, Steve!

68 Carmen { 01.27.13 at 3:53 pm }

I booked our Disney world trip for Spring Break (April 1-5, 2013) not knowing that it was a blackout date for the military salute 4 day hopper passes. I don’t want to change my dates, but I don’t want to pay full price for Disney tickets. Tickets and sales on post gives a small discount for the regularly priced hopper tickets, but it would still be $365.00 for each pass! Are there other options for discounted tickets at Disneyworld during the Spring Break Blackout dates?

69 Dave { 01.28.13 at 5:35 am }

Hi Carmen, you won’t find a better deal than what you can find on post. Are you sure you don’t want to change your dates? That’s one of the worst weeks of the year–which is why it’s blacked out…

70 denise { 01.30.13 at 11:51 am }

my fiance cant make the trip but is active duty is there any way he can purchase and activate our passes for me and our children without being there?

71 Dave { 01.31.13 at 6:57 am }

Hi Denise, sorry, but no he can’t. He has to be there in person to activate. He doesn’t have to stay around after that–but he has to be at the turnstile when the tix are first used to activate them.

72 Jen { 01.31.13 at 10:28 am }

Hi Dave!

My husband, my son and myself are going to Disneyworld 3/20-3/24/13. He is retired (20 years) and 80% disabled. We already have our hotel paid for so my question is more towards the purchasing of tickets. When you say you can get them at base, is this any local military base in any state? Also, I printed tips and discounts for restaurants and entertainment, but have a questions about the food discounts in the park. Do we just show our military ID in the park when purchasing food or is this something that we prebook before going into the park? Also do you know if Ohana’s or any of the Character Breakfast events offer military discount? Thanks so much for your help!

73 Steve from MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 01.31.13 at 10:58 am }

Hi Jen,

Disney’s Armed Forces Salute tickets can be purchased at most military base ticket offices (every base carries a variety of tickets from different companies based on their location). If you have a base nearby you cal call the ticket office to ask what they carry. You can also buy these at the Shades of Green the military owned and operated resort on WDW property and the Orlando ITT office (near the international airport). at all of these locations you will not pay sales tax as you are purchasing on military property. You can also purchase these tickets at any of the Disney theme park ticket windows, though sales tax will be added.

There is no military discount for food offered by Disney, in the parks or anywhere else on property. Though there are some locations (non Disney owned) in Downtown Disney which do offer military discounts.

74 Dave { 02.01.13 at 7:16 am }

Thanks Steve–Jen, Steve is this site’s expert military moderator…

75 Vanessa Babilonia { 04.02.13 at 1:57 pm }

My father is retire I planner to go WDW, he buy ticket for my. He haved go a Disney?

76 Dave { 04.02.13 at 2:31 pm }

Yes, he has to be there in person to activate the tickets, if they are the Military Salute tickets…

77 Derek { 04.15.13 at 10:36 am }

My friend is in the reserves. His family is going to be in Orlando vacationing but is not planning to go to disney but will able to meet us there to activate tickets. Does he have to go in?

78 Kenneth U { 04.16.13 at 9:38 pm }

Can you tell me if the Park Hopper Plus Water Park and more Option includes additional days to use at the Water Park and Disney Quest, or is this just a 4 day ticket that allows you access to either the 4 major parks and options. Someone told me that if you add the water park and more option , then you actually get 2 additional days to use at Disney Quest and the water parks, so 6 days total..

79 Dave { 04.17.13 at 7:09 am }

Hi Derek, the only possible issue is that he may have to go through the turnstiles so that his ticket is then linked to him (this is policy, but not always enforced). That means you’d have a max of five tix for your family–not an issue if there are five or fewer of you…

80 Dave { 04.17.13 at 7:46 am }

Kenneth, that’s true!

81 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 04.17.13 at 9:47 am }

Hi Derek,

Dave’s right He will only be able to activate 5 of the Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets for your family as he must activate one for himself.

This can be done at all 4 theme park ticketing areas, the two water parks, Disney Quest, and the Downtown Disney Guest Relations office.

At WDW once the tickets are activated the party may split up, so you can enter the parks and he can go one his way.

(By the way, at Disneyland in California, they require the member to enter the parks each day with their guests, but this is not required at Disney World in Florida.)

82 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 04.17.13 at 9:52 am }

Hi Kenneth,

The Water Park Fun and More Entries are totally separate from the theme park days on the tickets they are added to.

Think of your ticket with the WPF&M option as two separate tickets in one. One with the number of theme park days purchased and a second with the number of WPF&M entries purchased.

Your WP&M entries can be used on the same or different days as theme park days and can be used multiple times on the same day if you wish.

An Example – You could go to a theme park in the morning (using up a theme park day), then after lunch play a round of mini golf at Fantasia Gardens (using 1 WP&M Entry), then in the evening go to Disney Quest (using a 2nd WP&M Entry).

83 Amanda { 04.25.13 at 11:36 am }

So we are taking a trip to disney and we have 6 kids so we are a military family of 8. 2 of our kids should be free because they are under 2 leaving us still needing 6 tickets but our nephew is also going with us, so since we have a family of 8 would they still allow us to buy the 7 military discounted tickets?

84 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 04.25.13 at 2:40 pm }

Hi Amanda,
Well, yours is a situation that I’ve not run into yet.
Disney’s Armed Forces Salute rule for “large families” is that they will allow you to purchase the number of tickets needed for the military member, spouse, and their dependent children. So if your kids were all old enough to need tickets you could buy 8.
The wrinkle is of course is that your nephew is not your dependent child.
So by the rules you can only buy 6, 2 for the adults and 4 for the kids old enough for tickets. This leaves you needing to buy one regular military discounted Magic Your Way ticket from Shades of Green or your base ticket office.
4-day kids hopper – $288 (that’s $132 more than the AFS) – http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Tickets/Magic-Your-Way-Tickets.html
Keep in mind that you are saving $1024 off the regular military discounted Magic Your Way ticket rate by using the Armed Forces Salute tickets for the other 6.
Hope this helps
p.s. I do have another thought, but I’d like you to email me to discuss steve@militarydisneytips.com

85 Dave { 04.26.13 at 12:51 pm }

Thanks Steve!

86 Tiffany { 10.23.13 at 7:23 am }

Hi,

My father has passed away but served in the Korean War and earned a purple heart. Would we be able to use the military discount?

87 Dave { 10.23.13 at 7:29 am }

Hi Tiffany, I’m sorry but you aren’t eligible.

88 Paul { 12.27.13 at 8:37 am }

I am planning a trip to Disney World over 9 days. I was originally planning to go to the base and purchase a discounted 9-day hopper, but was told over the phone by a Disney rep that I could purchased the Disney 4-day Military Promotional Ticket and upgrade at the end of the 4th day to include out entire trip. I asked her the price to do this, and was told that I would have to do it in person at the ticket booth. Have you ever heard of this?
I could not find a phone number for the ticket booth.

89 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 12.27.13 at 3:06 pm }

Hi there Paul,

Unfortunately most Disney Call Center Cast Members are not very knowledgeable when it comes to Disney military discounts. The person you talked to was incorrect.

The Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets can be upgraded but not to any other type of ticket.

They can only be upgraded to passes such as an Annual Pass. And when you upgrade the cost of your AFS ticket is deducted from the full price cost of the pass. (side note) passes are cheaper using the military discount at Shades of Green so there is no reason to go this route.

But I suspect a season pass ($597 adult @ Shades) is more that you want to spend on your 9 day trip, so your best option would be:

-The 9-day ticket you already mentioned, $323 adult non-hopper & $381 adult hopper from either your base ticket office or Shades of Green.

Depending on the size of your party you could use the AFS tickets back to back for 8 park days (up to 6 tickets total). That would be $338 for the hopper option.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions, Steve

90 Dave { 12.28.13 at 10:35 am }

Thanks, Steve!

91 Sue { 02.06.14 at 1:19 pm }

Can I purchase 4 tickets for my family at Disney World and go to the park with them to activate without having to buy a ticket for myself? Or is the sponsor or spouse required to buy a ticket as well.

92 Dave { 02.07.14 at 9:27 am }

Sue, if you are talking about the military salute, the sponsor is required to both buy one for herself/himself and activate them, including his/her own, in person…

93 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 02.07.14 at 9:52 am }

Hi Sue,

Dave is right the military member or spouse is required to have one for themselves, but you do not need to use it once it is activated. Your family can tour the parks by themselves and your ticket will be valid through 27 Sept.

There is one exception though, which is passholders (annual, FL seasonal, etc.) do not need to buy one for themselves.

And be sure to ask anyway once there, a reader once told me they were allowed to do it.