By the co-author of The easy Guide to Your Walt Disney World Visit 2017, from the best-reviewed Disney World guidebook series ever. Paperback available on Amazon here. Kindle version available on Amazon here. PDF version available on Gumroad here.

Rides at Disney World that Might be Skipped

SKIPPABLE DISNEY WORLD RIDES

Every ride at Walt Disney World is worth trying.

But not at the cost of your sanity.

Disney World Rides That Might Be Skipped from yourfirstvisit.net

If your pace it getting too intense–or you just need to cut some time out of your vacation–the image (click to enlarge) presents a few rides that almost no one will regret missing, and a longer list of rides that appeal to some and not to others, with notes about to whom these would most appeal when it’s not obvious from seeing the ride.

(See the Comprehensive Guide to Rides for a view of rides that includes not just skippable rides but also favorites by age group.)

For detailed reviews of each Disney World ride and attraction, see this.

ITINERARY LINKS

• For itinerary design goals and the basic December Itinerary, see this
  • For shorter and longer itineraries targeted at the same December week, see this
  • For itineraries covering all the other parts of the year, see this
  • To design your own itinerary, see this
  • For rides that might be skipped, see this
  • For a comprehensive guide to rides and attractions, see this

LINKS FOR HOW OLD/TALL YOUR KIDS SHOULD BE

The 2017 easy Guide

Kelly B Can Help You Book Your Trip

Follow yourfirstvisit.net on Facebook or Google+ or Twitter or Pinterest!!

1 Steve { 03.11.11 at 5:45 pm }

Interesting Dave, some of your favorites that some can skip if need be… Some of my favorites are in there too. But you’ve got to choose your battles as it were, sometimes there is only so much time.

2 Another "skippable" { 03.14.11 at 4:54 pm }

Stitch’s Great Escape is a tough one to translate to a relatively large cross-section of Disney visitors. Little kids are terrified (and not in a good way), adults are usually confused (and taller ones are in pain from the shoulder restraints). Perhaps only teenagers would find this a diversion, and likely only because it’s dark and they won’t have to listen to their folks for five minutes! 🙂 Never understood this attraction when it was the Alien Encounter, and still don’t get it. I may be a crowd of one on this, though…

3 Dave { 03.14.11 at 5:51 pm }

Good add–I’ll put it on the next version. You’d find a lot of people agreeing with you!

I’m one of the few that really liked Alien Encounter–I just thought that it belonged in the Studios, not the Magic Kingdom. But Stitch doesn’t work as either fun or scary…

4 Helen Amer { 08.24.11 at 9:41 am }

Hi

We are staying at the Beach Club October 22nd – 30th. We have free dining. I note that you describe this as a ‘wonderful week’ to visit. Does this take into account extra guests due to the free dining promotion ?

5 Dave { 08.24.11 at 9:56 am }

Yup. The reason they offer free dining is because of how empty the hotels would be otherwise. Free dining attracts more, but given kid vacation schedules, it’s still low crowd!

6 Helen Amer { 08.24.11 at 10:10 am }

Thanks – that’s good to know. We are travelling from England and came at the same time three years ago. We found it really quiet then which was great. That wasn’t on free dining though.

7 April { 11.14.11 at 11:50 pm }

I’m ignoring some of your rules because I can’t help it. We are traveling with an 8 yr old and 4 (who will turn 5 during the trip and would love a princess party on her birthday which is 5/30) girls. We will arrive Sat 5/26 and leave the following Sat. What are your recommendations for an itenerary if we feel like we need to do the princess dinner at the castle on Wed.?

8 Dave { 11.15.11 at 4:35 am }

Hi April, that’s fine, but you’ll need to make your dinner reservations for Cinderella’s Royal Table soon. Use this itinerary to start with, and modify it to suit your Weds and your shorter trip: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/12/06/summer-itinerary-for-walt-disney-world-v2/

9 Kristen { 03.03.12 at 9:02 pm }

What a wonderful resource your site is! Thank you so much from a formerly intimidated first time disney trip planner. I plan to follow your itinerary very closely (but NEED to stay at the Port Orleans Riverside as I have 3 kids) but I do have a question about the Winter-Fall-Spring itinerary which we will use for our arrival on 9/22/12. Sunday recommends beginning at Animal Kingdom then moving to Hollywood Studios for dinner and Fantasmic. Do we need to purchase a park hopper pass for this? Is it possible to do that for only one day?

10 Dave { 03.04.12 at 12:37 pm }

Hi Kristen and thanks!

First, make sure you have seen this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/required-september-2012-itinerary-and-to-do-list-changes/

Second, if you follow the itinerary you do need a park hopper add-on. The park hopper is valid over your entire ticket–you can’t buy it for just one day.

Finally, you can avoid the hopper by doing Fantasmic on Monday instead of Sunday…

11 Rick { 07.18.12 at 12:19 pm }

I dont see an ittenerary plan for my unfortunate (and unchangeable) visit dates. We arrive on Wed. 3/13/13 and leave Wed 3/20/13. Please help with what parks to visit on certain days and maybe a fastpass plan. We are staying at wyndham which is close and has free tansportation to and from the parks. Is parkhopper a good option?

12 Dave { 07.18.12 at 4:07 pm }

Rick, I won’t have any opinions on which days at which parks until Disney publishes its operating calendar for March, which should be in a month or so–come back to me then!

On the park hopper question see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/07/16/park-hoppers-hopping-walt-disney-world/

13 Troy { 10.16.12 at 1:59 am }

Dave–

Test Track: I know it opens Dec. 6 – our last day at Epcot is 11/30. What do you think are the chances of a “soft opening” for it having it open when we’re there…and the Under the Sea ride for that matter? How does Disney normally handle new rides? Surely it has to run it a lot before the official opening day to make 100% sure it’s good, right? (fingers crossed) I know we won’t know for sure until we’re there, but after hearing and reading so many good things about Test Track, I’m sure hoping it’ll be up. Thoughts?

14 Dave { 10.16.12 at 6:45 am }

Troy, Under the Sea soft openings begin 11/19 so you should be fine there–and I’d expect test Track will be doing soft openings by 11/30 as well!

15 Troy { 10.16.12 at 8:11 am }

Thanks, Dave. Where would you stick Under the Sea in the Basic December itinerary?

16 Dave { 10.16.12 at 8:19 am }

Troy, right now it’s part of the instruction “Then see the rest of Fantasyland.” That is, I don’t highlight it as a first-thing attraction because, having seen its identical twin at Disney’s California Adventure, it’s just not that great a ride…see http://yourfirstvisit.net/2011/11/29/preview-ariels-undersea-adventure-at-the-magic-kingdom/ Depending on traffic patterns that emerge, I may revise the instructions later…

17 Troy { 10.19.12 at 8:46 am }

Dave–

As noted above, we come in 11/24. I really don’t need to be worrying about these details yet, but that’s me. 🙂 We’re on a 6 am flight and get to Orlando around 1 pm. It’s gonna be a long day. We’re booked for dinner (not Akershus) at 4 and another at 6 just in case – we’ll cancel one before we leave. How crucial is it that we get a lot of the World Showcase done this day? It appears that we’ve got a lot of stuff crammed in the next Fri, and I don’t know how we’re going to be able to fit it all in that 2nd Fri. But I know we’re going to be exhausted, and I’m concerned about getting us completely worn out the very first day.

I realize that you say in the itinerary for the 2nd Sat that instead of leaving for the afternoon, we can finish up the worlds. But will that be enough time? Crowds should still be low for that 2nd Fri, right?

As always, many thanks for what you do.

18 Tom { 10.19.12 at 1:44 pm }

I have to agree with Stitch’s attraction. It’s all dark in there, you get wet, lots of noises, you get cramped with your shoulders and small children get scared and yell at the top of their lungs. Plus, it ain’t funny

By the way, taking a look at your list, I must say that after being like 4 times to WDW there are attractions I have never been to and most likely never will

19 Dave { 10.19.12 at 2:38 pm }

Troy, I forget how old your kids are. The “World Showcase” section of Epcot can be dull as dirt to younger kids…my itins (which have an arrival by 5.30p on the first Sat)–should give plenty of time on that day for you to understand whether you’ll need to devote much more time to it on Friday afternoon…

20 Dave { 10.19.12 at 2:41 pm }

🙂

21 Troy { 10.19.12 at 6:21 pm }

Dave, they’re 7 and 10, and I agree that it’ll probably be pretty dull to them. However, it won’t be dull to us or my parents who will be with us, and it’s good that you planned that the first day. They’ll be all hyped up, so we can “get away” with going to something dull – as opposed to the last days when they know the good stuff that’s out there. Since our day is so long, we’ll probably do the 4 pm dinner so we can wind the day up sooner rather than later and get some rest before our long day at Hollywood since we’re cramming it into one day.

Wow, too much info for you that you don’t care about. 🙂 Thanks.

22 Dave { 10.20.12 at 1:17 pm }

Troy the 4p dinner will give you plenty of time! And while the thought of resting up for HS the next day is sound…you’ll be so wound up just to be there that you should not worry to much about leaving–so long as you leave before Illuminations–as the kids won’t sleep anyway…

23 Cynthia { 11.16.12 at 4:23 pm }

Hi – my 19 year old daughter and I are going to WDW for the first time. We arrive on 12/30 am (red eye) and leave early morning on 1/6/13. Can you help with an itinerary that would work for us. We are avid Disneyland fans and have had annual passes for the last 19 years. We will be on the quick service dining plan so have no need for dining reservations. Also, I want to thank you for your website, a lot of great information.

24 Dave { 11.16.12 at 5:13 pm }

Hi Cynthia, and thanks…that’s a wildly busy time…take a look at this http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/11/09/6-night-walt-disney-world-itinerary-sunday-arrival/ It’s not a tight fit, but is as close as I have. Opening and extra magic hours will be earlier/more common respectively. So you definitely need to double check the mornings!

As you likely already know, AK is the most distinct park compared to DLR, with Epcot almost as distinct.

25 Tremekia { 05.11.13 at 9:40 pm }

Hey Dave,
I am so excited about our trip scheduled for our arrival July 13, 2013-July 18th, 2013. We will be traveling with a variety, from 4 adults (which one of us is almost 7 feet tall), a 17, 13, 12, two 9 yr olds, 5, 4, and 3 yr old. As it is most of the groups first time at Disney, I am going to treat it as though it were mine as well, seeing how I can actually testify to being one of those people who may only get in 9 rides in the Magic Kingdom park in one day because of awful planning. I desperately want to take the challenge of nine by noon, but is that even possible with such a diverse group? We will be residing at the Shades of Green because we are on a very tight budget, unfortunately we can’t get the dining option, but can you help us with some less expensive options for eating with such a large group. I was reading about the switching parents options so there is always someone with the little ones and all the grown-ups get to ride without too much line time, so we can treat it like an itinerary that will be catering more to the bigger people, but we are not going to “not include them”, just still need to get in as many rides as possible as I am not sure when we will be able to come back. We were also possibly interested in great dinner experiences. I have been reading a lot of information and am overwhelmed at this point. We are getting the four day park hopper plus water park tickets, so I plan for us to do one day for MK, one day for AK, one day to combine Epcot ans Hollywood (everyone seems to think other than a couple of the rides, Epcot is going to be boring), and one day for a water park and to finish up some rides we didn’t get to. You know way more than me, so what ever you can give me will be very helpful.

Thank you for all you do to keep us sane:)!
Tremekia

26 Dave { 05.13.13 at 7:54 am }

Hi Tremekia! Couple of thoughts in response…

First there no great way to fix the little kids problem. See this for some ideas: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-oldtall-your-children-should-be/what-if-theyre-too-shortyoung/taking-your-too-shortyoung-kids-anyway/

Second, you have too little theme park time for either hopping or a water park to be worth it. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-long-to-stay/ In yuor shoes I’d do a day each at MK, AK and HS, and decide the night befroe how to spend your fourth day–which will lamost certainly be a return to MK.

Third, there’s no inexpensive way to eat at WDW! The Shades options will be least expensive, but you don’t want to return there for meals–you’ll miss too much in the parks. Counter service is cheaper than table service, and lunch table service cheaper than dinner. Given how short your trip is, I wouldn’t focus much on table service–try for maybe lunch at the Crystal Palace–a buffet, so not only can everyone find something to like, but also you can fill up!!

Finally…to get more than 9 rides done in a day there’s just one secret: arrive at the turnstiles before the parks open, head to the rides that build long lines later first, and use Fastpasses!

Hope this helps…

27 Zee { 01.19.14 at 12:28 am }

Hi Dave: What a fantastic website! I am beginning to be lost even before I get there. We (2 adults and 2 kids 5 and 11 yrs old) are staying at the Broadway Inn near Epcot and will arrive on 13th February 2014 AM from the UAE and departing 19thFeb AM. Which itinerary is best for me to follow. Would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

28 Dave { 01.19.14 at 8:12 am }

Hi Zee and thanks!

Did you mean the BoardWalk Inn?

I don’t have an itinerary that covers those days or that short a visit. Another issue is that it’s really hard to keep both an 11yo and a 5yo happy–see this http://yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/how-oldtall-your-children-should-be/what-if-theyre-too-shortyoung/taking-your-too-shortyoung-kids-anyway/

You can build itineraries on your own by using Josh’s cheat sheets–see this: http://www.easywdw.com/category/cheat-sheets/