2013 and 2014 Military Deals and Discounts at Walt Disney World

MILITARY DISCOUNTS AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

disney-world-military-familiesMilitary families are eligible, of course, for all Walt Disney World deals and specials available to the general public.

In addition, Walt Disney World often makes special deals available to members of and retirees from the U.S. military, and from related DoD organizations.

An offer is out with great ticket and room rate savings for FY13-October 2012 into September 2013.   See this.

Update July 2013:  This deal has been offered for FY 14–late September 2013 into September 2014–as well!  See this.

In addition, Shades of Green, an Armed Forces Recreation Center located near Walt Disney World’s Polynesian resort and nestled among Walt Disney World’s renowned Palm and Magnolia golf course, offers wonderfully low rates for the quality of its rooms.

Shades of Green discounts its already low rates from time to time.

And of course Disney’s general public deals and specials apply to military families as well.

This site recommends Shades of Green for first-time visitors only under a couple of special circumstancesSee this for more on first time family visits and Shades of Green.

LINKS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD

Comments moderated by Steve Bell of Military Disney Tips

1 Karen { 01.17.11 at 5:40 am }

Do you know when/if discount deals will be released for end of 2011? We are looking at Christmas 2011 but would like to start scheduling and paying now.

2 Dave { 01.17.11 at 9:19 am }

Hi Karen!

Couple things.

If you mean military discount tickets, for the last couple of years they’ve been announced late in the year or even after the turn of the year, and there are no guarantees they’ll be made available past the current program.

Regarding package discounts from Disney itself,

–If you literally mean Xmas–e.g. 12/23 or later–there likely won’t be any discounts. Disney has little trouble filling its hotels at list prices the 23rd and later.

–If you mean earlier December, discounts, if they appear, typically come out 2 to 6 months ahead of time, although lead times have been trending longer with the recession.

–Note that you can usually book at one rate and later take advantage of a discount if announced. The easiest way to do this is to work with a travel agent–e.g. my friends at Destinations in Florida.

Hope this helps! Dave

3 Pat { 04.25.11 at 4:12 pm }

Is this discount available to DOD employees as well?

4 Dave { 04.25.11 at 7:14 pm }

Pat–I’m pretty sure, but not certain, that these are only for active duty and career retired. Suggest you check MilitaryDisneyTips.com to make sure, or Disneymilitarysales.com.

Shades of Green resort does extend its low rates to DoD employees. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/02/22/review-shades-of-green-resort-at-walt-disney-world/

5 David { 08.08.11 at 10:00 am }

I am a 100% disabled veteran due to wounds received in Vietnam, am I eligble for the military discounts from Disney. I have an military DOD ID card.

6 Dave { 08.08.11 at 10:55 am }

Hi David, first, thanks for your service. Second, I believe you are eligible for some deals, but not others, which require you to be on active duty or career retired. I’ll check and get back to you.

7 Steve - From militarydisneytips.com { 08.11.11 at 4:57 pm }

Hi David,

You are eligible for the Disney Armed Forces Salute. Here’s a quote from my AFS FAQ “Permanently Disabled Veterans are also eligible for this offer. These military personnel will have a military ID with a DAVPRM status.”

You are also eligible to stay at Shades of Green, from their eligibility list: “Others separated from the Armed Forces and their family members- Honorably Discharged Veterans with 100% service-connected disability (and their families)”.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your service!

Steve

8 Dave { 08.11.11 at 8:37 pm }

Thanks Steve!

9 Jerry { 10.12.11 at 1:14 pm }

Dave, I’m a retired veteran from Canada and my question is, do retired Canadian veterans qualify for discounted Disney world and other theme parks tickets?

10 Dave { 10.12.11 at 1:39 pm }

Hi Jerry, I only know about WDW and not the other theme parks. As far as I know, Disney military discounts are for US people only. Check their special offers page (from a computer in Canada…) and something may show there: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/

It’s also worth checking with Steve at http://www.militarydisneytips.com/

11 Heather { 01.15.12 at 12:45 pm }

We are heading to Disney World in April of 2012, my dad is retired from the US Army and wants to purchase the daily passes to the theme parks for us. The only catch is, he doesn’t want to go with. Will we be able to get in with these tickets or will it be a problem? Thanks.

12 Dave { 01.15.12 at 1:05 pm }

Heather your dad has to be physically present at the turnstile at the first use to activate the tickets. He can then go away…but he has to be there then…

13 jlw20734 { 01.25.12 at 1:35 pm }

Hi. My dad is a Vietnam Vet, but did not retire from the Army. Our entire family is heading to disney this summer. I dont believe that he would be eligible for the “Disney Armed Forces Salute” tickets. Is this correct? If so, what kinf of discount would he be eligible for? Thanks!!

14 Dave { 01.25.12 at 2:02 pm }

Hi, you are right, the only discounts you are eligible for are those available to the general public. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/03/29/walt-disney-worlds-latest-spring-and-summer-deal/

15 Brittany { 02.09.12 at 3:07 pm }

Is a Marine reservist eligible for the military room discounts? He is not currently activated and is not retired just currently in the reserves.

16 Dave { 02.09.12 at 4:47 pm }

Brittany, I’m not sure, so I’m gonnna check with an expert…

17 Steve from militarydisneytips.com { 02.11.12 at 12:06 pm }

Hi Brittany,

Reservists are eligible for all Disney military discounts. I’m a reservist myself.

Some of the discounts are: the Disney Armed Forces Salute (which includes 30-40% room discounts), regular military discounted Disney tickets available at Base ticket offices or Shades of Green, and of course Shades of Green the military resort on Disney World property.

Check my site for more info on Shades of Green and the other military discounts, or feel free to email me: questions@militarydisneytips.com

Steve

18 Dave { 02.11.12 at 4:36 pm }

Thanks, Steve!!

19 Kelly { 04.10.12 at 8:17 am }

My husband and I are planning a trip (First time) for Christmas. Which I am not seeing may not be such a good idea. Looking at getting more information sent to me about All inclusive offers Disney has to offer. Where would I find information about that? My boys are 13 and 9! Would like to be there for Christmas and New Year’s. Any information would be helpful! Thanks again, found this page very informative!

20 Dave { 04.10.12 at 3:58 pm }

Hi Kelly, that is really a horrible week to go…parks closed due to crowding…300 minute waits for some rides…

Disney does not do “all-inclusive” stuff, but you can buy tix, hotel room, and dining from them. A travel agent, or perhaps an airline, can help you find more. You won’t find any deals that week–because it is the most crowded of the year, it’s also the most expensive, and not discounted…

21 Spc Lakisha Lewis { 05.31.12 at 5:55 pm }

I am currently deployed overseas, my unit is due to return home for good around September 25 or so. I noticed that most current military discounts go through September 30, 2012. Thats no good for me & my family seeing that i want be getting home til that time. I was curious to know will there be any discounts avaliable around October 2012, i hope to be able to bring my 2 children to disney world around the middle of October but, i want to be able to enjoy the discounts also. Just wanting to know me & my husbands options…Thanks

22 Dave { 06.01.12 at 6:44 am }

Hi Lakisha and thanks for your service! There’s nothing official on an extension ‘of this program, but there are some hints it might be extended–see this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/05/17/news-on-disney-world-armed-forces-salute-extension-in-early-summer/

23 Bill { 09.17.12 at 7:28 pm }

D,

We (total family of four) are going on a trip to DisneyLand. I am retired active duty. We are meeting my in-laws (two) and my wife’s sister (and family – four). We set this up believing we could buy ten tickets (I buy four, spouse buys six) and we could all enjoy a Disneyland vacation. We recently got conflicting guidance, only six tickets per family, not ID Card holder. Will we run into a problem trying to get in?

Thanks for this site!! [also posted on a off-shoot of this page]

24 Dave { 09.17.12 at 8:35 pm }

Bill–more thoughtful response tomorrow–but a key point: when is your planned arrival date and last day of use date?

25 Bill { 09.17.12 at 8:48 pm }

Arrival date is 28 Sep 2012, using on 28, 29 and 30 SEP 2012

26 Dave { 09.18.12 at 7:18 am }

OK Bill, with those dates you fall under the FY 2012 program, which allows over its life 12 tickets. The rules, however, are that you can activate only 6 at a time, and that there has to be 7 days between activation. Some cast members follow these rules, and some don’t so there is a risk that you’ll be able to buy/activate only 6 tickets…

27 Bill { 09.18.12 at 2:42 pm }

D,

My wife believes that if her sister gets four military tickets from a friend or other family member, then I can just accompany her to pick up her tickets at the window. Then of course we would use our six for our family (and her parents).

28 Dave { 09.19.12 at 6:24 am }

Bill, strictly, if the sister gets tickets from someone else who is eligible, then that person needs to be at the gate to activate them, so you are still in the same boat–needing a flexible cast member…

29 Kristi { 10.04.12 at 2:14 pm }

My family of 4 is traveling to WDW November 12, 2012 with my parents (total of 6). My dad’s ID card reads “Department of the Air Force Civilian Identification” Status “RET/CIV”. Will he be able to receive a Military Salute Discount Tickets or any other park admission discounts? We will not be staying on property so we are just looking at the 4 day park tickets.

30 Dave { 10.04.12 at 2:16 pm }
31 will { 11.06.12 at 1:36 pm }

If my dad is active duty, do I get a discount for amusement Parks?

32 Dave { 11.06.12 at 2:40 pm }

Hi Will! He can buy tickets and get rooms at a discount rate. He has to be there in person to activate the tickets.

33 Kristy { 01.08.13 at 7:52 pm }

My brother in law is retired. We will be staying at shades of green 02/12/13 –02/19/13. there will be four adults, 3 kids (16),(14),(12) 4kids (9),(7),(6),(3) ALL the grandkids :) How many tickets will we be able to buy at the military discount price?

34 Dave { 01.09.13 at 8:53 am }

Hi Kristy, you will be able to buy 6 tickets.

35 Kenny { 01.23.13 at 9:59 pm }

I am planning a trip to Disney in the next few months, I am a service connected disabled vet but I only have the white card issued from the VA. Is this the correct card for eligibility?

36 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 01.23.13 at 11:54 pm }

Hi Kenny,

In order to qualify for two different types of Disney Discounts you’d need to be a 100% service connected disabled veteran.

If that is the case your VA benefits card is not what you’ll need for proof of eligibility. You’ll need a military issued ID card, either a DD Form 1173 or 2765 these are the tan ID cards. The ID would need to have the DAVPRM (Disabled Veteran Permanent) code on it.

In order to obtain a new military ID you may request a form, DD-1172, which is a letter signed by the Director of your nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office, that shows you are 100% total and permanently service connected disabled.

Take this letter, and your latest DD Form 214 to the ID Card Office at the nearest military base , where you will be issued your military ID Card. Your spouse, and children age 8 to 21 (or 26 if in college, enrollment proof required) can also be issued their dependent ID Cards, if you show your marriage license and children’s birth certificates.

The two programs you’d be eligible for as a 100% service connected disabled veteran with the DAVPRM code are:

-Disney’s Armed Forces Salute: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/08/08/new-disney-world-armed-forces-salute-announced-fy-2013/

-And the ability to stay at and buy tickets at Shades of Green, the military owned and operated resort on WDW property: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/08/08/new-disney-world-armed-forces-salute-announced-fy-2013/

If you are not a 100% service connected disabled veteran you are still eligible for stays at Shades of Green during the months of January and September: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Non-Retired-Veterans.html

Hope this helps, thanks for your service!

37 Dave { 01.24.13 at 10:47 am }

Thanks, Steve!

38 Danny { 01.26.13 at 11:11 am }

hi, i was just wondering whether my girlfriend qualifies as eligible to gain military discount when we visit orlando later this year? ive heard all about shades of green and it mentions military personnel and their families but does that include partners/girlfriends etc?

thanks in advance,

Danny

39 Dave { 01.26.13 at 6:13 pm }

Danny, so long as you are eligible and there, you can bring any guests you want!

40 Bob Salm { 02.04.13 at 6:42 pm }

I served in the army reserves from 1967-1973. I was on active duty in 67/68 for 6 months. Do I qualify for the military Disney discounts?

41 Dave { 02.05.13 at 8:33 am }

Bob, they are mostly for career retirees and current active duty. There’s some deals at Shades of Green you are eligible for, though–I’m going to ask this site’s military moderator to weigh in on those.

42 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 02.05.13 at 8:38 am }

Hi there Bob,

In your situation there is just one discount available, as Dave said through Shades of Green, the military owned and operated resort on WDW property. It is very limited as it is only available in the months of January and September.

Here is a link to my page on the discount: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Shades-of-Green/Non-Retired-Veterans.html

43 Jared { 03.01.13 at 10:27 pm }

I’m in the active Marine Corps. Reserve. My base doesn’t have access to Disney World discount tickets. Where can I find a list of bases that sell them?

44 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 03.03.13 at 8:27 am }

Hi Jared,

For Disneyland, here are some nearby ITT offices you can use:

Los Angeles AFB ITT Office: http://www.laafbforcesupport.com/leisure-recreation/itt

San Diego Area ITTs: http://navylifesw.com/sandiego/recreation/tickets/

Camp Pendelton, Oceanside, CA: http://www.mccscp.com/itt

Naval Base Ventura County, Point Mugu/Port Hueneme, CA: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Ventura/FleetAndFamilyReadiness/ThingsToDo/TicketsTravelAndTours/index.htm

I’ve also seen that you can purchase your Disneyland tickets over the phone by contacting: Commander, Navy Region, Southwest at (619) 767-6000. Your tickets will arrive via the U.S. mail within 7 business days. Overnight service is available for a nominal fee.

If you need a base closer to you check the links to all base ticket offices (by service) on my site: http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Tickets/On-Base-Tickets.html (towards the bottom of the page)

Enjoy your trip, Steve

45 Maria { 05.21.13 at 5:18 pm }

Hi,

My cousin is the active marine corps and he got us Disneyland tickets will we be able to use them? or is it imitate family members only? Also does he have to go with for all 3 days or once he activates them at the gate were ok to come back the other 2 days with out him?

46 Dave { 05.22.13 at 6:23 am }

Hi Maria, he can let anyone use him. I’m not sure if at Disneyland the rules are the same as at Disney World, so I’m gonna ask the site’s military expert to weigh in…

47 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 05.22.13 at 8:08 am }

Hi Maria,

It depends on which type of military discounted Disneyland tickets he bought for you. There are two kinds.

There are the Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets, these are the special temporary deal running now, 3-day hopper tickets for $125 (all ages). These have to be used by the military member (they must have one for them selves) and they can use five more for anyone else they want. But the military member must accompany their party during every park entrance.

And then there are the regular slightly military discounted Disneyland tickets (length, options, and price vary/there are adult and child versions). He can buy these at his base and you can use them without him.

So you’ll need to check with him on which kind these are.

Steve

48 Ben { 05.31.13 at 8:32 am }

Looking at buying some tickets for this sumer (currently in Afghanistan) when I get back. I saw the military rates, but it is only good for 6 tickets. Since I have 5 kids, we obviously need more tickets, lol. My wife is also active duty, but will be retired by the time we go. Can I buy 6 tickets for myself and the 5 kids and will they allow my wife to purchase a ticket for herself using the military rates? It says only 6 for a military member and spouse, but we are both military members, so could we concieveably buy 12?

49 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 06.01.13 at 9:48 am }

Hi Ben,

You actually have the best of both worlds. There are two ways you can do this.

Disney has the “Large Family” exception to the 6 ticket limit. A member with more than 4 children can buy the number they need. But only for themselves, their spouse, and their direct dependents. If you only need 4 days you can do this.

Or with your wife being a retired member she is eligible for her own tickets. Usually 6, but in your family’s case the Large Family rule would apply.

So your family is good for 8 days of tickets if you want them. Even if you only need 6 or 7 days it would still be a deal.

When using the Large Family rule the parent not getting the tickets should use their driver’s license for ID duding the activation process to avoid confusion.

50 Dave { 06.02.13 at 8:08 am }

Thanks, Steve!!!

51 michelle { 06.26.13 at 9:52 am }

I was looking through all the previous questions b4 asking to see if answered already. I was wondering on the military discount 4 park pass limit 6 per retired person in 1 house hold, if tickets are purchased do you have to use all 4 tickets in a certain period of time or could you make a two mini vacations using two park tickets each time ( equal four) does the military retired person or spouse have to be at each Disney park you venture to or can they activate the tickets all at once and they can be used when planned. My uncle is retired Army CWO4 and my aunt wants to send her grandchildren since I am the walt Disney lover I have been asked to take them. How would this work.

52 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 06.26.13 at 2:27 pm }

Hi Michelle,

Let’s see… First and most important, your uncle (or aunt) must be with you for the ticket activation process at WDW and have a ticket of their own, in order to use the Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets.

At WDW once the tickets are active they may be used in any way you want. The party does not need to stay together. The tickets can be used at different parks, on different days, and can be used on any day between activation and 28 September 2013 (they do not need to be used all at one time).

I didn’t quite understand what you meant when you mentioned “household” but, a military member/retiree (or spouse) is allowed up to 6 tickets during this offer. They may allow anyone they want to use the other 5 (they must use one).

Hope this answers your questions, Steve

53 Dave { 06.26.13 at 4:27 pm }

Thanks, Steve!!

54 MSgt William Prough USAF retired. { 01.09.14 at 8:56 am }

Dave understand military discount tickets, I think. My question is: (1) Can more than four day park tickets be purchased; 5-day, 6-day, etc.? And (2) Are there any discounts for Fort Wilderness motorhome sites?

55 Steve From MilitaryDisneyTips.com - YourFirstVisit.net Military Moderator { 01.10.14 at 11:03 pm }

Hi William,

There are no mil discounts on the campground.

The Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets are strictly 4-day, though they can be upgraded to annual or seasonal passes.

For longer stays you’ll need to use back to back Disney Armed Forces Salute tickets (if the 6 limit allows by your party size), the Regular Military Discounted Magic Your Way tickets or a combo.

56 Anonymous { 01.18.14 at 1:17 am }

We have a family of four and were looking to go to the park for 10 days. Since the 4-day ticket is automatically upgraded to a five day ticket, can we buy eight of them if we only use four at a time and then just use them back to back? That’s a huge money saver and would allow us to do more with the kids.

57 Dave { 01.18.14 at 10:15 am }

First, the free ticket day is not the military deal, which is four days only. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing–it’s a different deal…here: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/01/06/disney-world-room-rate-deal-for-well-into-june-2014/

So assuming we are talking about the same deal–not the military deal–you wouldn’t want to do this. The way Disney prices tickets, the first three days are very expensive, and days after three are very cheap. So two four days tix for one adult will cost almost $600, whereas one nine day ticket for that same adult costs $350. So you’ll save ~$150 by person by buying 9 day tix and getting the tenth day free, rather than getting two sets of 4 day tix with two days free. See this: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2013/06/02/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices-summer-2013-to-summer-2014/

Separately, you can’t do it anyway! You can only buy one ticket per person on the room reservation!

58 Andrea { 03.24.14 at 3:09 am }

Hi there, I can’t seem to find any information on visiting Canadian military discounts. Is there anyone who knows whether the deal extends towards your neighbors to the North? I recall as a child my father did receive a military discount but I wasn’t sure if this was still the case now or not. Thanks :)

59 Lara Gordon { 03.24.14 at 5:32 am }

Thanks so much Dave, got your comment on what to do. Don’t know what I would do without this site, it has helped so very much!
I have now done our itinerary according to your basic itinerary and that of Josh’s favourite dates. Will just run it by you quickly and if anything glaringly obviously bad do please let me know! Kids are 9,7 an 5 years.
25 Sept: Seaworld, 26 Sept: Discovery Cove, 27 Sept: Busch Gardens, 28 Sept: 10 am House of Blues, arrive at Wilderness Lodge then evening Fantasmic Dining Package; 29 Sept: Epcot by 8.15, Akershus lunch, arvo off and Dinner at 1900 Park Fare; 30 Sept: MK by 8.15am, Chef Mickey Lunch, arvo off and dinner at Whispering Canyon; Oct 1: HS by 8.15am; arvo off; Dinner Crystal Palace: MSEP and WISHES; Oct 2 Rest Day (Downtown Disney); Rainforest cafe for lunch, dinner Hoop de Doo show 6.15pm; Oct 3: MK by 8.15am, lunch Cinderella’s Royal Table, afternoon parade; arvo and evening off; 4 Oct: (Move to AK Lodge) HS by 8.15am, arvo off and dinner at Bouma; 5 Oct MK by 8.15am, arvo off, MNSSHP evening; 6 Oct: sleep in and Typhoon Lagoon; 7 Oct: AK by 8.15am, arvo off; 8 Oct: AK morning and Blizzard Beach arvo; 9 Oct Hire car to Legoland; 10 Oct Car to Universal and Illuminations at Epcot in evening; 11 Oct: Car to Port for Disney Cruise.

Phew! Is this all okay do you think? Have I missed anything too obvious?? Shame I can’t do quite in the order of theme parks you would prefer as doesn’t work in with recommended days doing HS before MK and given we move to AK Lodge in 2nd week I thought would be best to leave AK park till then.

Thanks so much! Trip of a lifetime for us. :)

60 Dave { 03.24.14 at 7:54 am }

Andrea, I can’t comment on any discounts sponsored directly from Canada. The deals sponsored by the US DOD apply to non-US folk in some circumstances. See http://www.militarydisneytips.com/Military-Discounts/Discount-Finder/Foreign-Military-Member-Discounts.html

61 Dave { 03.24.14 at 7:57 am }

Lara this looks great!!! You might honestly be a little over-scheduled–you have a lot of park days!

62 Lara Gordon { 03.25.14 at 12:49 am }

Oh found it, thanks so much Dave for your reply! And yes we may have over-scheduled you are right but given they are half days most of them (returning to resort after lunch or for lunch) I am hoping we will be okay!?!?

63 Dave { 03.25.14 at 7:04 am }

Lara, you have, for example, two early mornings at HS. Because of FastPass+ you can schedule great rides for late in the day. So at least one of those could be a sleep-in day…

64 Lara Gordon { 03.26.14 at 5:06 am }

Oh, great idea!!!! :)
The family will love you for that sleep in.

65 Lara Gordon { 03.26.14 at 5:44 am }

Just remembered why we have two early mornings at HS because the boys want to do the Star Wars Jedi training both those days and I think we need to get there early to register them?
Anywhere else you think we could cut back for more time off? (I know you’re probably going to say we should not do two water parks – just don’t like to miss out on anything!)

66 Dave { 03.26.14 at 12:06 pm }

Lara, got you on the Jedis. I think the main things will be to make sure you do what looks like the most fun in the first 2/3 of your trip, so that if you are worn out and need to take more time off, you won’t miss much…